PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Nintendo 64 Games

Athaniar
2009-09-30, 04:31 AM
We have a Gamecube thread, so why not a N64 one? Personally, I think that the 64 had better games. Some of my favorites:

GoldenEye
#1 video game, any category. Don't know why, really. It just is.

Perfect Dark
GoldenEye's spiritual sequel, much more story-driven. Also an excellent game.

Ocarina of Time
Ah, the revolutionary Ocarina of Time. Truly a masterpiece. But still, I prefer

Majora's Mask
Epic game.

Super Mario 64
Another of my all-time favorites. Like I said, this console has some real awesome games.

banjo1985
2009-09-30, 04:34 AM
Well, no kart game since has come close to Mario Kart 64, and I had a presonal love of Body Harvest for quite some time in my teenage years.

Mario 64 was the best platformer of its time, and while I was awful at Goldeneye I did enjoy the multiplayer.

SparkMandriller
2009-09-30, 05:16 AM
That Evangelion game. It's utterly terrible to play, but man is it funny. There's like an angel, rendered in terrible nintendo 64 graphics, and you have to do a quick time event to backflip away from it, and then another one to kick it in the chest. Then like a little button mashing minigame to beat up another robot, it's hilariously bad.

And I guess Star Fox if you wanna talk about games that are actually good. Star Fox is awesome. It's 3d, and it's on the 64, and yet the camera isn't the worst thing ever! I mean, damn, that alone makes it special.

Most of the 64's offerings are pretty terrible, though, to be honest. They seemed cool then, but trying playing Mario 64 or OoT now. They haven't exactly aged well. D:

Dhavaer
2009-09-30, 05:19 AM
Lylat Wars and Mario Kart. Not coincidentally, those are the only two N64 games I owned.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-30, 05:22 AM
I loved StarFox 64 and Pilot Wings. And Ocarina of Time, of course. I never managed to play Majora's Mask, though.

Athaniar
2009-09-30, 06:08 AM
Actually, I never played Majora's Mask to the N64 either (although I tried to get my hands on it), but instead got it as part of a four-in-one Zelda game disc to the Gamecube. Still an N64 game, though.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-09-30, 06:17 AM
I really liked the original Super Smash Bros. While I can't play it anymore because I'm spoiled by Brawl, I still love it a lot. I have a lot of happy memories of beating my friends at the game over and over agian, because I was the best. I used Donkey Kong. The ONLY way my friends could beat me was (I'm not exaggerating) unplug my control in the middle of a fight and while I was trying to put it back in desperately they would kill my defenceless character. REAL MATURE, GUYS! :smallbiggrin:

Super Mario Kart 64 still reamins the favourite of the Mario Kart series (though I think that Double Dash might be better, but I can't remember since I only owned Double Dash for a short period of time) beause everything was so much SIMPLER! 6 characters who were basically the same, 3 weight catagories, 1 FRIGGEN KART. You could just jump in and play, and have fun no matter what you picked.

Now in Mario Kart Wii there are so many stats and karts and characters and factors you need a &%$#*ing guide book to make sense of it all and find out what you should pick. It's intimidating. I alwasy wonder if I'm playing it correctly. :smallsigh:

But my all time favourite 64 game? Banjo-Kazooie. I could even play that game TODAY and have fun. :smallbiggrin:

banjo1985
2009-09-30, 06:27 AM
Oh, and I forgot about Conkers Bad Fur Day...that game was so funny when I was 15 it was unreal. I think at one point I did actually wee myself ever so slightly, I think during the boss fight where you have to keep kicking the boss in his brass nads. :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2009-09-30, 06:42 AM
The two Zelda games.
Perfect Dark (and Goldeneye, though the former makes the latter quite redundant)
Super Mario 64
Lylat Wars
Banjo Kazooie
Donkey Kong 64
And many, many others. Really, N64 is one of the most awesome consoles of all time. So many brilliant games.

Project_Mayhem
2009-09-30, 06:51 AM
Oh, and I forgot about Conkers Bad Fur Day...that game was so funny when I was 15 it was unreal. I think at one point I did actually wee myself ever so slightly, I think during the boss fight where you have to keep kicking the boss in his brass nads. :smallbiggrin:

I am the great mighty poo, and I'm going to throw my s**t at you

Thane of Fife
2009-09-30, 07:04 AM
Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon

Most of the game was just an enjoyable platformer, but then you got that conch shell and.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchGIDPFANM&feature=related)

Oh, and Pokemon Snap was amazing.

Dragor
2009-09-30, 07:11 AM
Seconded on Majora's Mask. That game managed to summon up so many emotions from me (frustration being the main one, I never even bothered to get the dungeon fairies because it was such a pain in the behind) unlike any other game ever has.

OoT just feels a little more badly dated to MM in comparison. To me, MM has gotten a lot better with age, while OoT, while still having a place in my heart, isn't something I can pick up and play and still feel as good as the first time I heard

HEY LISTEN!!!1one

Geno9999
2009-09-30, 07:21 AM
Mario 64
Mariokart 64 (although I got it via VC)
Zelda: OoT (same, and my sister now wants Majora's Mask)
Star Fox 64 (Can't let you do that, Starfox.)
Donkey Kong 64

Triaxx
2009-09-30, 07:30 AM
Superman 64. Yes, I know how bad it is. I also know just how much FUN it is when you cheat to become Superman. And remember the level skip cheat for those DAMNED ring missions.

I heartily second all of the OP's selections, and add Turok, Turok 2, Star Fox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire and Episode 1 Racer. Quest 64, and Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage.

Assassin89
2009-09-30, 08:10 AM
Super Mario 64
Legend of Zleda: OoT and Majora's Mask
Donkey Kong 64
Starfox 64
Banjo Kazooie

Zevox
2009-09-30, 11:17 AM
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Best. Zelda game. Ever.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Pretty good too. Too short, though.

Star Fox 64 - Best. Star Fox game. Ever.

Super Mario 64 - Pretty damn good.

Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie - The only platformers to beat Mario at his own game. Even better than Mario 64.

Perfect Dark - Only FPS game I've ever really liked.

Ogre Battle 64 - Fantastic RPG.

Paper Mario - Great Mario RPG.

Super Smash Brothers - Still excellent. I sometimes go back to play it even though I have both Brawl and Melee. (I miss Captain Falcon playing the way he did in the original... I can't use him in the new games, but I mained him in this one.)

Donkey Kong 64 - Best. DK game. Ever.

Diddy Kong Racing - Only racing game I've ever really liked.

Zevox

Comet
2009-09-30, 11:27 AM
Diddy Kong Racing - Only racing game I've ever really liked.
I found it kinda dull, actually. I do admit that I didn't get a chance to play it for very long, as it was a borrow from a friend.

The best racing games for N64, in my opinion, were Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero X. Especially the latter. I dumped so many hours into that game and I liked every second of it (well, not every second, damn game was frustrating sometimes).

Linkavitch
2009-09-30, 12:07 PM
The three N64 games I have on my Wii are Paper Mario, Mariokart 64, and The Legend of Zelda, OoT. All are amazing. I really want to get an SD card, and start redownloading my stuff onto that, to free up memory for actual Wii stuff. (At least, I think you can do that.)

The N64 games I still want to get are Majora's Mask, the original SSB (as soon as Nintendo of America lets us have it.), that one snowboarding game, Kirby 64, and Yoshi's Island 64.

Comet
2009-09-30, 12:14 PM
that one snowboarding game
How could I forget 1080 Snowboarding? I had a lot fun with that, too!

Anyone remember Mission: Impossible? It was one of my faves at a time, back when the N64 was something new and mystifying.
Later on I have heard various critics claim that it was nothing special, but damn if I didn't enjoy playing it! The mission where you had to retrieve the NOC-list from the ultra-security vault was especially fun.
Some of the missions were a total pain, though.

Robek
2009-09-30, 08:16 PM
Yoshi's Story. Best game ever, no matter what the reviewers think.

The Blackbird
2009-09-30, 08:18 PM
Super Mario 64
Legend of Zleda: OoT and Majora's Mask
Donkey Kong 64
Starfox 64
Banjo Kazooie

This, totally this.

Except instead of Donkey Kong, have 007 Goldeneye. (Maybe Paper Mario too)

Crispy Dave
2009-09-30, 09:13 PM
Anything Rare made on the N64.

Moonshadow
2009-09-30, 09:58 PM
You're all forgetting Sin and Punishment :smallfrown:

Atronach
2009-09-30, 10:12 PM
I enjoyed the original Super Smash Brothers, which is all I can think of at the time.