PDA

View Full Version : 3-level Minotaur Base Class [3.5]

Xefas
2009-09-30, 12:06 PM
I've always hated Level Adjustment. Not only is it clunky, but it, more often than not, ends up being vastly underpowered - more so as the game progresses and more levels are gained. I've always liked Minotaurs, so here is my attempt at remaking the Minotaur feel as a base class that is hopefully balanced with Martial Initiators and lower tiered spellcasters in and of itself, but also scales into the later game. I know its not terribly feasible to make base classes for every monster with level adjustment in the game...but it can't hurt to try a few of the more common ones.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/Minotaur.jpg

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 4 + intelligence modifier
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival

Starting Gold: As fighter

Class Name
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Racial Class, Natural Initiator, Physical Aptitude I

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Uncanny Dodge, Inherent Ability I, Physical Aptitude II

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Inherent Ability II, Physical Aptitude III[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Minotaurs are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as all light and medium armor, but not with shields.

Racial Class: Characters that take this class do not choose a race. This class may only be taken at first level, and cannot be multiclassed out of until all levels of it have been taken. The racial traits of someone taking this class are:

Monstrous Humanoid
Large Size
Speed 30 feet
Darkvision 60ft, Scent
+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence
Gore (Ex): A minotaur has a natural weapon that deals 1d8 piercing damage. If the Minotaur uses this weapon as their primary attack on a charge, it deals 2d8 damage instead.

Natural Initiator (Ex): Minotaurs are naturally disposed to martial training. Levels in this class are considered initiator levels.

At 1st level, a Minotaur may use the Charging Minotaur maneuver once per encounter, and gain the ability to use the Stonefoot Stance stance.

At 2nd level, a Minotaur may use the Steel Wind maneuver once per encounter.

At 3rd level, a Minotaur may use the Mountain Hammer maneuver once per encounter.

Physical Aptitude: At 1st level, a Minotaur gains Power Attack as a bonus feat. At second level, a Minotaur gains Track as a bonus feat. At 3rd level, they gain Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness,LM) as a bonus feat.

Inherent Ability: At 2nd level, a Minotaur’s Strength increases by 2, and they gain a +2 bonus on Spot, Listen, and Survival checks. At 3rd level, these Strength and skill bonuses increase to 4.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a Minotaur retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Minotaur already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Non-Maneuver Variants

For a psionic variant, remove the Natural Initiator and Physical Aptitude abilities and replace them with the following.

Naturally Psionic (Ex): Minotaurs are naturally adept at improving their physical prowess through force of will. Levels in this class add to manifester level, and stack with the first psionic class the Minotaur takes after 3rd level for the purposes of determining Power Points gained and Maximum Power Level Known for that class. (For example, a 3rd level Minotaur that takes a level in Psychic Warrior gains 2 power points, as that is the number of power points a 3rd level Psychic Warrior taking their 4th level of Psychic Warrior would gain. And they could select a 2nd level Power for their Power Known that level.)

At 1st level, a Minotaur can use Stomp as a Psi-like-ability once per encounter. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the Minotaur's character level + the Minotaur's Strength Modifier.

At 2nd level, a Minotaur can augment its melee strikes with psionic power. Whenever the Minotaur makes a melee attack, they may choose to expend 1 Power Point to strike an additional enemy adjacent to their first target that is also in the Minotaur's threatened area.

At 3rd level, a Minotaur can use Psionic Lion's Charge as a Psi-like-ability once per encounter, but must use his natural Gore attack as his primary weapon (he may also make second attacks with any weapon he is holding, but they take the normal -5 penalty for secondary attacks).

Psionic Aptitude: At 1st level, a Minotaur gains Wild Talent as a bonus feat. At second level, a Minotaur gains Power Attack as a bonus feat. At 3rd level, a Minotaur gains Track as a bonus feat.

arguskos
2009-09-30, 01:53 PM
Dude, really. RSS Feed. Think about it. :smallwink:

I really like this class, but I'm wondering: for those of us that don't like ToB-style stuff, what do you recommend replacing those maneuvers with? I like the idea of racial spell-likes or psionic effects, but wanted your thoughts.

Baron Corm
2009-09-30, 02:00 PM
The class still leaves you behind by 3 levels on other class features, once you finish it. I like the 20 level idea much better.

Xefas
2009-09-30, 03:32 PM
Dude, really. RSS Feed. Think about it. :smallwink:

I really like this class, but I'm wondering: for those of us that don't like ToB-style stuff, what do you recommend replacing those maneuvers with? I like the idea of racial spell-likes or psionic effects, but wanted your thoughts.

:smallbiggrin:

Well, actually, my first rendition of the class didn't have maneuvers, but they had abilities that were so much like maneuvers, I figured it'd just be easier for me to give them those.

For instance, at first level, I had:

Powerful Charge (Ex): A Minotaur may make an especially deadly charge with his natural Gore attack. If he does so, his Gore deals 2d8+strength modifier damage, and he may attempt to knock his opponent backwards if he succeeds in dealing damage. This is considered a free bull rush attempt that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

I then remembered that the Charging Minotaur maneuver does almost exactly the same thing (albeit slightly less damage, but the charge movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity), so I gave them that instead.

At third level, I had a Warhulk-esque sweeping strike attack kind of like:

Mighty Swing (Ex): A Minotaur may swing their weapon in a wide arc, striking two targets that are adjacent to one another and are both in the Minotaur's threatened area.

But that's pretty much Steel Wind, just (once again), not as good.

I do, however, understand that not everyone has or likes the Tome of Battle, so a non-Initiator variant will be inbound later (I have some ideas for a couple, actually).

The class still leaves you behind by 3 levels on other class features, once you finish it. I like the 20 level idea much better.

Well, the idea is that Minotaurs are naturally good at hitting stuff, and since their racial levels count as Initiator Levels, a Minotaur 3/Warblade 2, for instance, would have access to 3rd level maneuvers, just like a Warblade 5. So they aren't losing out on much at all. I mean, sure, they get the Warblade's Intelligence stuff later, or the Crusader's damage pool later, or the Swordsages Initiative bonuses later...but, those aren't huge things. And in exchange, they get some Strength bonuses they wouldn't normally get, Large size, and some more per encounter abilities they don't have to recharge for.

(And one must admit, it's much better than the 8 ECL Monster Manual alternative)

Baron Corm
2009-09-30, 04:13 PM
Well, no, generally minotaur levels are much better than warblade levels (this might even be an issue). All it's missing there is the capstone. It would be nice if minotaurs could get capstone abilities, though. The worst part about choosing a race with LA is seeing the guy next to you being better at the same job because you were busy being a minotaur. And what about spellcasting minotaurs :smallfrown:

arguskos
2009-09-30, 05:08 PM
I can't wait to see the aforementioned non-ToB alterations. Please do so, and I'll be happy to steal them (since I have a player that really wants to play a Minotaur, and the Savage Species progression just isn't that good).

Xefas
2009-10-02, 11:11 PM
Alright, I added a section for non-ToB variants. So far I just have a naturally psionic variant, but as I come up with more, I'll put them in as well (I'm thinking of maybe a shamanistic one that goes with Druid, a Warlock or Sorcerer one that gets it magical heritage from Giants, and maybe even a Binder one that worships the vestige Haagenti and maybe an Incarnum using Totemistesque one? Dunno...I don't have a whole lot of time, so I'll get around to what I get around to.)

paddyfool
2009-10-03, 02:34 AM
Alright, I added a section for non-ToB variants. So far I just have a naturally psionic variant, but as I come up with more, I'll put them in as well (I'm thinking of maybe a shamanistic one that goes with Druid, a Warlock or Sorcerer one that gets it magical heritage from Giants, and maybe even a Binder one that worships the vestige Haagenti and maybe an Incarnum using Totemistesque one? Dunno...I don't have a whole lot of time, so I'll get around to what I get around to.)

Although this is awesome as is, might I request a savage one that goes with Barbarian, for those without access to ToB?

arguskos
2009-10-03, 04:01 AM
I can see the following varients:
-clerical, following Baphomet
-shamanistic, revering nature, advancing druid progression
-an arcane legacy, following in the footsteps of the giants
-a binding focused on, based on Haagenti
-at least one other non-ToB based martial progression

All of these would be AWESOME, including the psionic one above. :smallwink: