PDA

View Full Version : NEW THREAD!!! See post for link

FlyingWhale
2009-09-30, 02:05 PM
HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7087677#post7087677)

What does everyone out there usually do for sustenance during games??? LAN,Tabletob,Console... And just general hanging out with a group at the house.

I know there's a big stereotypical fridge for a gamer... Mountain Dew, Pizza(not necessarily in fridge), followed by any sort of Doritos or odd Japanese novelty snacks...

Friends and I usually either order out pizza from our local Mr. Pizza(long time friends) or I make something for everyone. Last game I made burritos...

So what do you folks out there do? Any weird stories of something going terribly wrong?

EX. I once heard of someone making "mead" for their group which consisted of buying bottles and bottles of Guinness Extra Stout, pouring it all into a huge bowl, mixing with honey, and then serving room temperature and flat...And promptly vomiting.

*shudder*

Astrella
2009-09-30, 02:07 PM
Well, we play Warhammer and such above a pub, so most of the guys drink alcoholic beverages while we play.

When playing with friends, usually some fizzy drink and some snacks. (though preferably nothing greasy, since I don't like grease all over models, dice, papers, etc.)

Zanaril
2009-09-30, 02:46 PM
Fruit. It's nature's candy!

RandomNPC
2009-09-30, 02:52 PM
my group rotates, each of us takes a turn bringing enough food for everyone. The one guy who works at a pizza shop gets a deal, and he gets the same deal for two other people, so we have pizza more often than not. But last game we had Italian wedding soup. And on halloween I cut in front of everyone on the list and do snack food that looks like monsters. cupcakes with spiderweb frosting, that kind of thing.

Strawman
2009-09-30, 03:19 PM
I live thirty feet from a Subways, so that's my main food & drink supplier. I can see it from here... taunting me.

bibliophile
2009-09-30, 03:25 PM
Soda and pizza.

Keld Denar
2009-09-30, 03:30 PM
If you get a large enough pizza from the right delivery places, they come with this neato little white tripod dohicky which does in the middle of the pizza and supports the box when you stack other pizzas on top of it. This little dohicky is nearly the same size as most miniatures. The virtue of this doodad comes when you have flying players or monsters who occupy the same 2D square on a battlemat, albeit at different altitudes. Placing this wonderous contraption over the fig of the lower character, while placing the higher character on top of the tripod's pedastal results in truely epic 3D combats.

Proof that even the pizza delivery industry wants us to play D&D! Go forth and spread the word!

BizzaroStormy
For me, its a Calypso Black Cherry Lemonade and Eggrolls from Speedway.

valadil
My weekly group is weird. We eat beforehand and then show up for game. Usually someone brings some beers. Occasionally a wife or GF will send over some baked goods.

My other group is more likely to go with pizza or chinese while we play. They're also more likely to each nurse a two liter of diet coke over the course of the game. For some odd reason, this group doesn't have wives or GFs to send over baked goods.

Thiel
2009-09-30, 03:41 PM
If you get a large enough pizza from the right delivery places, they come with this neato little white tripod dohicky which does in the middle of the pizza and supports the box when you stack other pizzas on top of it. This little dohicky is nearly the same size as most miniatures. The virtue of this doodad comes when you have flying players or monsters who occupy the same 2D square on a battlemat, albeit at different altitudes. Placing this wonderous contraption over the fig of the lower character, while placing the higher character on top of the tripod's pedastal results in truely epic 3D combats.

Proof that even the pizza delivery industry wants us to play D&D! Go forth and spread the word!

Isn't that what transparent dice boxes are for?

FlyingWhale
2009-09-30, 03:42 PM

EDIT:Marry me... I wish my friends had ingenuity skills... :smallsigh:

Jack Squat
2009-09-30, 03:44 PM
Mountain Dew and Cheetos. :smalltongue:

Actually, I can't have Cheetos because they contain MSG, so I grab Lay's instead.

Eldan
2009-09-30, 04:10 PM
Depends... we usually played in a friend's garden on sunny days. Then his mother would often make spaghetti. If they came over to my place, it would be fruit.

adanedhel9
2009-09-30, 04:41 PM
When I host on a Saturday, I cook. It's usually something that can be mostly prepped ahead of time, requiring minimal concentration when I'm trying to run a game. I've done lasagna, chili, tagine, and jambalaya, to name a few.

Most of the time everyone brings something too, which tends to leave me with too much food. A couple times I've had to ask people not to bring anything, as my cabinets were overflowing with chips and popcorn and cookies and crackers and all this other junk food that I really don't need around the house.

Oh, and I've got a mini-fridge that's always stocked with Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist, and whatever beer caught my eye last time I went to the liquor store.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-30, 04:53 PM
I bring Cheetos and Faygo
-MCL

Trog
2009-09-30, 05:01 PM
Sodas of various sorts - typically everyone brings their own and brings a variety.
Black Forest Juicy Oozers gummi sharks - The new must-have snack.
Sour Cherry Balls - The old must-have snack
Doritos
Twizzlers
Swedish Fish
And occasionally we have some chocolate thingies and beef jerky

wxdruid
2009-09-30, 05:16 PM
I tend towards bringing chocolate and I drink water. In the past I usually bring lots of candy to put in the communal bowl. The DM usually had the sodas and we'd stop midway through for some dinner. Sometimes I'd bring something for dinner like Taco Salad or something easy to heat up and share.

Assassin89
2009-09-30, 05:35 PM
I sometimes bring pretzels, but since my group often play in a corner that is near the main office for the gaming/sci-fi/anime club. Inside that office is a selection of candy, chips, soda and other stuff, meaning that people could also get stuff from there.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-30, 05:39 PM
A friend emailed me this link (http://www.myjones.com/code/limited.php?campaign=wizards) the other day. It made me laugh.

BIGBY'S CRUSHING THIRST DESTROYER

Trobby
2009-09-30, 06:40 PM
Well...in one gaming session, our group would order Chinese food that would arrive about halfway through...though pizza was a pretty big staple. More often though, we'd get a bag of candy. :3

Oh! And one time, this guy got us a whole bag of popcorn they were going to just throw away. It was pretty good.

As for being at home, usually a salty snack and either some juice or water. Pretzels and Sunflower Seeds are a staple. Though I'm not above candy.

Coffee too. Coffee helps you stay awake during those late-night sessions.

Moonshadow
2009-09-30, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a job for...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/a273/

:smallbiggrin:

FlyingWhale
2009-10-01, 11:33 AM
For me, its a Calypso Black Cherry Lemonade and Eggrolls from Speedway.

That...Sounds really bad for my...life...I think I will stay away from anything made from or by Calypso... Best case scenario? Atlas seeks vengeance and destroys me. Worst case scenario? Atlas seeks vengeance and destroys me.:smallsmile:

Swedish fish make me vomit...:smallfrown:

And you....Froogleboy.... my friend almost through me out of my own house when he read yours... I laughed out loud for a bit because we usually crack on ICP constantly... to be fair they do make millions of dollars on a pure and simple gimmick... more power to them! Wish I was from Detroit....no wait... lol. I think we have the understanding that the only clowns we are down with are The Joker and -the-the clown- the clown who- the clown who comes- the clown who comes to- the clown who comes to town- the clown who comes to town to rape, torture, and murder your family and not necessarily in that order- (the last one isn't really a clown, more like che guevara)

varthalon
2009-10-01, 01:30 PM
Playing D&D or Minitures we sometimes use candies instead of minitures.

And you get to eat what you kill :tongue:

skywalker
2009-10-01, 01:30 PM
EX. I once heard of someone making "mead" for their group which consisted of buying bottles and bottles of Guinness Extra Stout, pouring it all into a huge bowl, mixing with honey, and then serving room temperature and flat...And promptly vomiting.

*shudder*

Terribly, terribly wrong.

I did once hear of some people making mead as part of their high school project when they read Beowulf... Yes, really, honest to God mead, not Guinness and honey.

We have a guy who is forgetful in one of my groups. You know the type, clumsy, forgetful, but with a huge heart of gold. He's a brilliant guy, but... He can be a bit of a Neville sometimes. Anyway, he was making frozen pizza one night and forgot to remove the cardboard backing before he threw them in the oven. We didn't get to eat that pizza :smallfrown:

Marry me...No homo.

You will probably find the phrase "no homo" a bit unwelcome on this board, depending on who you use it around. Just for your future reference. I don't have a problem with it, but I'd be willing to bet that members of our LGBT community would.

A friend emailed me this link (http://www.myjones.com/code/limited.php?campaign=wizards) the other day. It made me laugh.

BIGBY'S CRUSHING THIRST DESTROYER

Too hard to find :smallfrown:

Sounds like a job for...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/a273/

:smallbiggrin:

Too bloody expensive, and they apparently taste terrible. Also, I inspected one at the LGS, and they have 6,667% of your recommended daily intake of one of the B vitamins (I believe it was). 6,667% of recommended intake of anything seems a bit... Dangerous.

Generally: Depending on the location of gaming, I've been partial to a wide variety of gamer fuel. As I said before, one friend will often make frozen pizza, and his mom will foist on the group any unwanted/near stale snacks. Sometimes we will order pizza.

At my other primary gaming location with that group, the family understands gaming (as I mentioned in the "gamer's paradise" thread). So there is a pantry absolutely bursting with pop-tarts, doritos, all other manner of chips... Oftentimes the dad of the house will simply barge into the game with a bag of doritos. Mom will often ask "who wants soup" or something else she has cooked. Very nice family. Very fun place to game. Last time we were there, he'd made a massive bottle of screwdrivers with frozen orange juice concentrate... Basically, instead of adding pure water, he mixed in a third of vodka. The man is so deliciously genius. This was definitely the best gamer fuel I've ever had.

FlyingWhale
2009-10-01, 04:53 PM
True that. fixed. Honest to goodness mead eh? Mead and fantasy, sounds like a sweet mix. pun intended.

Big, clumsy, Neville? Sounds like our "friend" Andrew... Only problem is... He can be one of the biggest ---holes because he is so inept and forgetful. He forgot to pick up family from vacation one at least 1 occasion, I spent ten days with him and had to feed all of his pets because he kept forgetting... sigh the list goes on. but the worst thing is... he insults people constantly! He just doesn't realize he does it because he has no brain :smallannoyed:

There is a rule that I am not supposed to drink during games... Because as the DM I shouldn't write notes to players with ... male anatomy all over them... ... ... Point is... If I drink, I have a 1 drink an hour rule. max....... Screwdrivers are yummy:smallsmile:

Vortling
2009-10-01, 06:53 PM
Let's see. In my real life group's current run we've had:
Pizza
Lasagna
Baked Potatoes with all the toppings
Stir Fry
Some Asian dish I couldn't identify with sticky rice
Nachos with both cheese sauce and salsa
Ravioli
Lo Mien
And once cheese cake for dessert
Pretty much everyone who attends my group is a proficient cook so we eat well.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-01, 08:01 PM
We once had Roasted Herb and Garlic Triscuits with Hummus. I've been hooked on the stuff ever since. HUMMUS IS AWESOME!

This week I'm bringing Fig Newtons, since our DM's allergic to chocolate. And I love Fig Newtons.

Xyk
2009-10-01, 08:16 PM
The best possible snack for D&D is Cool Ranch Doritos. No questions asked.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-01, 08:18 PM
I don't like Doritos...I prefer Puffcorn.

KataraAltinaII
2009-10-01, 08:27 PM
pizza, popcorn, soda, and fast food.

simple.

Extra_Crispy
2009-10-02, 02:27 AM
With our group either people bring stuff for themselves and I cook something quick for me and my roommate, or we go out to dinner during the break from the morning game to the evening game.

I am not a good cook but I can grill me up some pretty good steaks or chicken and some veggies on the side easy enough.

BritishBill
2009-10-09, 01:47 AM
That game you made burritos we didnt play the game got Seaned. MCL to all my juggaloes in detroit. Keep it real drink faygo and **** eminem!!

Alarra
2009-10-09, 02:43 AM
With my previous group, we grilled out for all of the year that it was warm enough. Everyone brought their own stuff. And everyone brought their own alcohol as well. Or the guy that made mead would bring mead for everybody. He usually drank his out of a drinking horn. It was fun.

We would often have hummus and crackers for snacks, or OC would bring his newest cheese find. I remember a cheese that had ... mango and pineapple in it...I think...it was awesome. But yeah, he had a thing for cheese.

When it was cold, we would alternate ordering chinese and pizza.

Currently? We tend to eat whatever's in the kitchen. =P

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-09, 03:48 AM

*shudder*How does one even conceive of this? That's like putting duck sauce on cold stale waffles so you can call it "chinese food". But this reminds me, I need to get back into making mead.

BIGBY'S CRUSHING THIRST DESTROYERIt's really too bad that they want so much money, and at least two week's delivery time, for what amounts to a "meh" soda anyway. If I could get it for around $3-$4 per 6-pack I'd keep a steady supply on hand, I think. But ~$2 per bottle? Not a chance.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-09, 06:41 AM
MEATBREAD (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Meatbread)

Accept no substitute

FlyingWhale
2009-10-09, 07:17 AM
MEATCAKE (http://www.fresh99.com/meat-cake.htm)

Accept no substitute

With the help of
The Mute Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=47341) I was able to try, and fail at MEATCAKE (http://www.fresh99.com/meat-cake.htm)
... But we had to substitute a lot of stuff...I am on to bigger, better things now... Like meatbread.... Damn I can't wait to finish my second HHHNNNNNNNGGGHHHH

Lioness
2009-10-09, 07:38 AM
Our DM's mum is rather obsessive about packing us full of food.

Pies and pasties
Fruit
chocolate
Lollies
Donuts
Chips
Lemonade

It never stops!!!!

smellie_hippie
2009-10-09, 08:18 AM
MEATCAKE (http://www.fresh99.com/meat-cake.htm)

Ok. I'm sooooooo going to be trying this at an upcoming gaming event. Maybe not the three layer cake though...

Cleverdan22
2009-10-09, 01:37 PM
DnD: Pizza, cream soda, Oreos, Lays and Ruffles, popcorn, coke, and brownies.

Video games: Chips and soda. And Gamer Grub.

FlyingWhale
2009-10-09, 01:51 PM
I think we are going to combine them all one day... Vote? lol

Combine the most amazing single snacks together into one! I guess we start with a pizza as a base, like a plate... and go from there!!! What kind of pizza? and what toppings? Most to fewest... I mean, gummy worms, oreos, cooler ranch doritos... Sky is the limit... I will post a few dozen photos of my group eating it... Yes that means BritishBill and The Mute Bard are going to suffer!!! MUAHAHAHA BWWAHAHAHA!!! I will post a new thread for the votes, link heeeeere (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7087677#post7087677)