PDA

View Full Version : True Necromancer Build

Commander_Vimes
2009-09-30, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking about building a character with the True Necromancer prestige class. Is this a worthwhile prestige class, and does anyone have any tips for building a strong one? I think it is better than the Mystic Theurge class even though you fall another behind a pure mage or cleric. The d6 hit die is nice, 3/4 base attack bonus is good for touch attack spells, and it stacks with cleric for turning. Plus there are a lot of very nice class features, especially Necromantic Prowess for some really nasty save or die DCs.

This my current plan
Human Necromancer 3/Cleric 3/True Necromancer till it stops

Prohibited Schools: Abjuration, Evocation
I think I can afford to give up Abjuration because I will have many of the important spells as a Cleric. Evocation is the weakest school in my opinion.

Domains: Death, Domination
Death is required for the prestige class. Domination is also a domain of Wee Jas, and I think it has pretty good spells, plus Spell Focus Enchantment is pretty nice.

Feats
Practiced Caster- Cleric
Practiced Caster- Mage
Spell Focus- Necromancy
Channel Positive Energy

The Practiced Caster feats keep my Casting level on pace with an a pure Mage or Cleric even if I have lower level spells. Spell Focus- Necromancy is pretty good and a prerequisite for the True Necromancer. Channel Positive Energy is necessary because I will probably be the party's primary healer, and I don't want to have to sacrifice all of my spell slots for cure spells. After these four feats I was considering some Divine Metamagic feats, but I'm not completely decided.

Jergmo
2009-09-30, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I'd say give the boot to Abjuration if you're multiclassing cleric. I think you can still use Dispel Magic with divine spellcasting, yeah?

Navigator
2009-09-30, 03:18 PM
You're really better off doing it as a straight wizard. In the grand scheme of things, even Mystic Theurge is better than True Necromancer at doing necromancer stuff. The lost spell levels just aren't worth the trade-off if you're in a high powered game.

Aside from that...

If you want to focus on having an undead troupe, I'd look into Corpsecrafter, Necromantic Presence/Might, and other feats in Libris Mortis.

Another cool thing to do is the "Uttercold Assault" caster. Take a look at Lord of the Uttercold in Complete Arcane. After everything is said and done, your blasts will heal your undead and hurt your enemies.

If you change it up to Wizard, there's no reason you couldn't do both.

As for specialization, being a Necromancer doesn't really net you any power. The only necromancy spells you care about from the Wizard list is false life, animate dead, awaken undead, and enervation. I'd say you're best off being a generalist. I can't even fathom choosing abjuration as a prohibited school in any situation, but bias aside, you can probably get away with it as a Mystic Theurge.

Keld Denar
2009-09-30, 03:36 PM
Have you considered Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror? Its Arcane only, but it gets Rebuke Undead early and it stays relatively powerful. Get your friends to all take Tomb Tainted Soul (Libris Mortis) and you'll have unlimited out of combat healing as well!

Otherwise, straight Cleric is 10 times the necromancer that a True Necromancer is, simply by virtue of focus > generalizaiton.

Khatoblepas
2009-09-30, 03:44 PM
Necrosis of the Triad of Shadows is pretty good for this:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868722/Triad_of_Shadows

Spellstiched Necropolitan Warlock 1/Cleric 5/True Necromancer 14

9th level Cleric spells, nice Warlock backup, 19th level Rebuke Undead (I think)