PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Please help Evaluate My Wizard/Incantatrix

Thunder Hammer
2009-09-30, 04:16 PM
Ok, I've got a Wizard 5 /Incanatrix 10 progression planned out: the game allows for double feats (2 at lvl 1, then one at lvl 2,3,5,6,8,9,11,12 etc) Race is Human, the familiar has been dropped for a bonus feat. Also note: Conjured Orbs are for campaign (homebrew) reasons not available to standard wizards.

Level 1:
Magical Artisaon
Spellcasting Prodigy
Improved Initatiative
Iron Will

Level 2:
Precise Shot *Gm waived prereq

Level 3:
Craft Wonderous Items

Level 5:
Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Empower Spell

Level 6:
Arcane Spell Thesis (Fireball)
Scult Spell

Level 8
Energy Substituion (Acid)

Level 9
Spell Focus (Evocation), Maximize Spell

Level 11
Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)

Level 12:
Twin Spell, Spell Penetration

Level 14:
Greater Spell Penetration

Level 15:
Arcane Thesis (Something neat)
Easy Metamagic (Twin Magic)

After this, I'm not sure what class to take more levels in (FateSpinner looked neat, or more Wizard. DM is also open to just takeing more levels of Incantatrix but just not have access to epic feats until level 21.)

Further Feat Ideas are:

Chain Spell
Widen Spell
Explosive Spell
Easy Metamagic (Maximize)

Any and all thoughts (other than obvious douchbaggery of course :P) is welcome!

woodenbandman
2009-09-30, 04:19 PM
Fireball is an awful choice for Arcane Thesis. Just sayin'.

Perhaps you would like something like Shadow Conjuration or Shadow Evocation for your Arcane Thesis.

EDIT: And for level 15 you should definitely take Extraordinary Spell Aim. CAdv. Read it and chuckle.

Thunder Hammer
2009-09-30, 04:37 PM
Fireball is an awful choice for Arcane Thesis. Just sayin'.

Perhaps you would like something like Shadow Conjuration or Shadow Evocation for your Arcane Thesis.

EDIT: And for level 15 you should definitely take Extraordinary Spell Aim. CAdv. Read it and chuckle.

First: What else is available at level 6? or should I swap my feats around?

Second: These Shadow spells don't seem to be nearly as uber as metamagicked out DD spells... Why are they good? (Also the extra will save, then a reflex save etc can get tedious in combat)

From the CrystalKeep:

Extraordinary Spell Aim:
With a Spellcraft check (DC 25 + spell level) you can shape an area spell so it does not affect one creature within its area. Casting a spell affected by this feat is a Full Round action, unless the spell’s casting time is greater, in which case the casting time in unchanged.

So this spell is good for through big AoE's and not killing one of your party members?

Draken
2009-09-30, 04:40 PM
Take widen spell and explosive spell and see if you can get into War Wizard of Cormyr. You will then be able to take your fireballs and turn them into a... 300 ft. long line of fire that pushes the enemies all the way to the end. Optimal? Not really. Good damage? Maybe. Reflex save. 40d6 damage on a failure, 5d6 on a success, if you use it in melee range. Which wont be melee range for long, that is for sure.

But damn heck, is it funny. You also gain numerous uses of free widen metamagic a day. And two bonus feats. Needs martial weapon proficiency, however. But you gain weapon focus with one martial weapon you are proficient in! Disclaimer: I am in no way implying that Weapon Focus as a bonus feat is a worthwhile class feature.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-30, 04:40 PM
Melf's Unicorn Arrow for Arcane Thesis at level 6?

KellKheraptis
2009-09-30, 04:43 PM
Chain Spell, at least 4 levels of Halruuan Elder at the end, Reach Spell, and Practical Metamagic (Chain Spell). Your two Adroit Casting class features will be : you guessed it, Chain Spell and Reach Spell! You can now chainreach for free, and have become a buffer/debuffer extraordinaire. This gets really nasty with stuff that gives save penalties with no save, and then a chained Save or Lose :)

Thunder Hammer
2009-09-30, 09:57 PM
Chain Spell, at least 4 levels of Halruuan Elder at the end, Reach Spell, and Practical Metamagic (Chain Spell). Your two Adroit Casting class features will be : you guessed it, Chain Spell and Reach Spell! You can now chainreach for free, and have become a buffer/debuffer extraordinaire. This gets really nasty with stuff that gives save penalties with no save, and then a chained Save or Lose :)

I looked up the Halruuan elder and HOLY #$%(*!! Wizard 5, Incantatrix 10 and Halruuan Elder 4, then whatever looks pretty good!!

Thunder Hammer
2009-10-01, 03:18 PM
Update:

The GM in question has ruled out Halruuan elder, but has offered to let me keep taking Incantatrix past 10 (just not getting epic feats until level 21) which nets a bonus feat and 2 more instant metamagics per day. (Epic Incantatrix is in the PG:F) Still seems pretty decent. Thoughts?

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 03:25 PM
That doesn't actually seem that bad. Lobby for more uses per day of the other incantatrix abilities, though. I mean, it's not as if it's going to be weak either way in absolute terms, just thinking about the tradeoff vs another PrC.

Fatespinner also isn't bad.

Im a fan of Energy Substitution(Sonic), because it never seems like anything is immune to sonic, but acid is good too, and I've never bothered to do an in depth analysis of which is more rare.

Double feats is an awesome concept, btw.

Godskook
2009-10-01, 04:06 PM
How about:

Wizard 3/MS 2/Incantrix 10/Archmage 5

Or switch out Archmage for Abjurant Champion if you can get martial weapon proficiency.

Also, I wouldn't go human with so many allowed feats, as it diminishes the value of it. Instead, try finding a race with decent racials and at least one martial weapon proficiency, opening Abjurant Champion without burning an actual feat on it. My thought is an int-elf.

Myrmex
2009-10-01, 04:20 PM
Go int-elf and chaos shuffle for more feats!
With this many feats, though, you're going to be ridiculous.

I'd take wizard to 5 and get the spontaneous divination ACF.

Make sure to pick up heighten spell so you can get around globes of invulnerability if you thesis low level spells.