PDA

View Full Version : [[3.5] Books not in Spell Compendium

DragoonWraith
2009-09-30, 05:24 PM
Hey, out of curiosity - which books were not included in the Spell Compendium (either cuz they were published after it, or because they just weren't included for whatever reason)? I know the setting specific stuff mostly didn't make it, but I don't know how much of that is applicable to a general setting - so, does Magic of Faerun (for example) include spells useful outside of Faerun (am guessing yes, but I don't have the book so I don't know).

Just thinking about what books I should consider getting.

Keld Denar
2009-09-30, 05:35 PM
The only 3 sources I use for finding most of my spells for most casters are the PHB, PHBII, SpC, and Complete Mage. So yea...the answer to your question would be PHBII and Complete Mage. Complete Scoundrel has a few, but most of them are either hyperspecialized or rather crappy. Complete Champ has a few as well, but they are also rather...not so good...

Only rarely do I go to other, more obscure sources for spells. Usually its Greater Mighty Wallop from RotDragon or one fo the environmental setting specific spells like Its Hot Outside, Its Cold Outside, Its Wet Outside, or Its Not Outside (v 1 and 2) or even rare a racial specific spell like Races of Stone (EARTH HAMMER!!!!!).

The Neoclassic
2009-09-30, 05:37 PM
I actually own Magic of Faerun and I think it's pretty decent for spells and such. Then again, I dunno all that much about balance, so it might secretly suck.

Iku Rex
2009-09-30, 05:45 PM
There's a list of sources on page 285 in the SpC. Magic of Faerun spells are mostly in the SpC.

I'll add Dragon Magic and Complete Champion (divine spells) to those Keld Denar mentioned.

Keld Denar
2009-09-30, 05:51 PM
Eh, most of the spells in Dragon Magic are so specific they they suck, and even if they fit your specific niche, they still suck.

And yea, I edited in Complete Champion. There are a few real winners in there, like Turn Anathema. Turning undead sucks because undead HD scale much faster than their CR. Outsiders typically advance on a 1 HD / 1 CR rate. That means with very little effort, a straight class cleric can turn an equal CR undead without much though, and a highly optimized level 9 cleric can turn a BALOR without even rolling. Yea. Thats fun.

Vizzerdrix
2009-09-30, 06:02 PM
Monsters of Faerun, Waterdeep: City of Splendors, Comp. Scoundrel all have some cool spells not found in the Spell Comp. Things like perma summons, Spells to get you minions, and Spore Field are very handy and fun.

Akal Saris
2009-09-30, 09:14 PM
Quite a few from BoED and BoVD didn't get into the Spell Compendium too.

Thurbane
2009-09-30, 10:19 PM
Eh, most of the spells in Dragon Magic are so specific they they suck, and even if they fit your specific niche, they still suck.
I don't think suckitude is the issue, I think the OP is just looking for which sources aren't included in the SC.

taltamir
2009-09-30, 10:26 PM
I don't think suckitude is the issue, I think the OP is just looking for which sources aren't included in the SC.

if that is the case... just look up the index on crystal keep.

imperialspectre
2009-09-30, 10:32 PM
Crystalkeep isn't complete. You need Races of X, Complete Scoundrel and Mage, Dragon Magic (which actually is really nice, if only for Arcane Spellsurge), and the Outside books.

There are also a few spells in the Faerun books that didn't make it in and are still legal, but most of those are either not worth it or broken (Streamers, lookin' at you).

Thurbane
2009-09-30, 10:34 PM
if that is the case... just look up the index on crystal keep.
Crystalkeep is a little out of date with 3.5 - several books were released after the most recent Crystalkeep updates.

Ninja'd

PId6
2009-09-30, 11:54 PM
Obviously, you've never played a sorcerer.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-30, 11:57 PM
Crystalkeep isn't complete. You need Races of X, Complete Scoundrel and Mage, Dragon Magic (which actually is really nice, if only for Arcane Spellsurge), and the Outside books.

There are also a few spells in the Faerun books that didn't make it in and are still legal, but most of those are either not worth it or broken (Streamers, lookin' at you).
Excellent, this is exactly what I was hoping to get. Thanks!

lsfreak
2009-10-01, 12:45 AM
Page 285 of SpC ash a list of sources - pretty much the first round of Completes, plus Libris Mortis, Player's Guide to Faerun, Magic of Faerun, and a couple others. Which leaves a lot of open sources; off the top of my head I think about half the books have at least a few spells in them.

Running through my list of books, books that I think I have spells in them are BoED, BoVD, Champions of Ruin/CoValor, Cityscape, Complete Mage, Dragon Magic, Frostburn, Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, Lords of Madness, PHB2, the Races series (Destiny/Stone/Dragon/Wild), Sandstorm, Stormwrack, as well as several other Faerun and Eberron books I don't have. Granted, most of those only have a small handful of spells, or at least useful spells.

Thurbane
2009-10-01, 04:23 AM
OK, excluding campaign specific and 3.0 sources, here's books I can find that contain spells that were not used as sources for the Spell Compendium (I've left out books that only contain a handful of spells, like Cityscape or Weapons of Legacy):

Book of Exalted Deeds
Complete Champion
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
Fiendish Codex I
Fiendish Codex II
Frostburn
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Lords of Madness
Players Handbook II
Races of Destiny
Races of the Dragon
Sandstorm
Stormwrack

DragoonWraith
2009-10-01, 04:30 AM
Excellent, thank you both!

Curmudgeon
2009-10-01, 07:24 AM
You'll also need to reference Complete Arcane for Wu Jen-only spells, none of which were reprinted in Spell Compendium. One of the things that annoys me about SC is that they also dropped the tags for non-core classes for all the spells, so you won't see Warmage or Wu Jen spells at all. Consequently you've got to start in Complete Arcane to find which spells are on those class lists, then look at Spell Compendium to see if any of those spells have been updated. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-10-01, 07:26 AM
OK, excluding campaign specific and 3.0 sources, here's books I can find that contain spells that were not used as sources for the Spell Compendium (I've left out books that only contain a handful of spells, like Cityscape or Weapons of Legacy):

Book of Exalted Deeds
Complete Champion
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
Fiendish Codex I
Fiendish Codex II
Frostburn
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Lords of Madness
Races of Destiny
Races of the Dragon
Sandstorm
Stormwrack

Player's Handbook II is missing; it has many big ones like Greater Mirror Image, Celerity, etc.

Person_Man
2009-10-01, 08:43 AM
Also, note that even though the SC might cover a certain book, it doesn't necessarily have all the spells from that book. Some were left out.

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-01, 09:06 AM
Is setting specific but take a look in Lost Empires of Faerun, too - there are few I consider worthy.