PDA

View Full Version : Playground book club Do Not vote unless you are a member of this club

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 06:34 PM
All Right this is the official Giantitp book club Group. Here we will read and discuss books that we read together. Anyone can join, just leave a message here, or PM me. PM me for any questions you may have.
If you want to recommend a book, please send me a message and give me a link to a description of the book and a place where we can download the pdf. (if its legal) People can also buy or borrow the books if they want. The PDF iis just for the people who might not be able to find the book.

Right Now I am taking suggestions

Suggestion rules:
1: Please keep the books relatively safe. Like no erotica or anything with heavy amounts of sex. It is ok if they are mentioned. Just as long as the book does not go too in depth in it.
2: Please do not recommend books that are antireligious, proreligious, or have any kind of political agenda. Remember, we are on giantitp still.
3: Please only recommend ONE book for reading. After the group finishes the book, then you may recommend another one, but not until everyone is finished with it.

I will release the options for the books on sunday, October 4th so we can vote on them then. I will close voting on Wednesday October 7th and we will read the book that gets the most votes.

Here are the current books we are voting on. And please, only members should vote

Hey, There. Here are the current members so far:

Me
Froogleyboy
TheBibliophile
perenelle
Elflore
xKayos
Elvenblade
TelemontTanthul
Myshlaevsky
ShadowWolf98
HereticNox
Trai
Weezer
SensFan
Alarra
Zain
Tamburlaine
Thufir
Kallisti
oyhr
Viera champion
Lioness
quincunx
xpancakex
Malmagor Andrigal
Slaanesh
Dragonus45
xxrevanxx
Crown of Thorns
Il'deav Ilah'naie
BritishBill
The Bookworm
FlWiPig
Hyozo

Froogleyboy
2009-09-30, 06:35 PM
What do you do in a book club?

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 06:36 PM
A book club is a group of people who all read the same books at a similar pace and who get together and discuss the book.

V: Sweet By the way Im looking for around ten members. If others want to join as well, thats fine but I want at least ten

Froogleyboy
2009-09-30, 06:38 PM
I'd love to join

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-30, 07:36 PM
I'd be fairly interested in this, but I guess it depends on what kind of things we'd be reading. If it's likely to be heavily fantasy or sci-fi based then I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Perenelle
2009-09-30, 07:39 PM
I might be interested, I'll have to see what the specifics and such are since I'm pretty busy.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 08:12 PM
I'd be fairly interested in this, but I guess it depends on what kind of things we'd be reading. If it's likely to be heavily fantasy or sci-fi based then I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

I hope to use all kinds of books. (although since many people here like that kind of stuff, there might be a more fantasy dominance. But I will try to make it balanced.)

TelemontTanthul
2009-09-30, 08:18 PM
I might be interested.

Just PM me if it is gonna happen.

Would this book club be meeting in the real world, or would we just sign on to the playground whenever and chat?

Elfin
2009-09-30, 08:20 PM
I'm interested.

Forever Curious
2009-09-30, 08:20 PM
Hm...how quaint. I shall take part.

Aystra
2009-09-30, 08:25 PM
Depends on the book and my workload. But I'd love to join! :smallbiggrin:

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 08:29 PM

This, except the reverse: I would prefer it if it was more fantasy and sci-fi oriented.

Also, be aware that some books may be a little too mature for me. If you've read Snow Crash, by Neil Stephenson, then that's about my limit.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 08:40 PM
I might be interested.

Just PM me if it is gonna happen.

Would this book club be meeting in the real world, or would we just sign on to the playground whenever and chat?

For now, if I can pull this off, It will remain on the forums for now. If we could meet up in real life later, I wouldn't say no. But that seems unlikely

Froogleyboy
2009-09-30, 08:42 PM
I suggest the Silmarillion

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 08:44 PM
Ooh, are we doing suggestions?

If so, I suggest Midshipman's Hope, the first in the Seafort Saga, by David Feintuch. It's ace.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 09:04 PM
SInce I seem to have a high enough interest here, I will open get this going. ALl right here are the current members:
Me
Froogleyboy
TheBibliophile
Elflore
xKayos
Elvenblade
TelemontTanthul
Myshlaevsky

More people can join if they want but that is the list so far.
Also If you have a suggestion for a book, please PM me the title and author and a link to a summary. Also if you could see if you could find a pdf (free if possible, but paid is fine as well) for that would be awesome. The PDF is not necessary though if people are willing to buy the books. I will post up the suggestions on the weekend.
If you have any questions PM me.

HereticNox
2009-09-30, 09:23 PM
I would be delighted to join in scholary dicussion of fine pieces of literature.

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 09:25 PM
That's weird. When I quote HereticNox, I only get the front bit of his post. :smallconfused:

HereticNox
2009-09-30, 09:29 PM
I'm partial to classics. I know we are suppose to pm list but some fine pieces that are available online, free of charge

John Milton's Paradise Lost is my first suggestion. Followed cloesly by
The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

These are some of my favorites, though they might not be acceptable on the boards. I will admit that they are religious in tone, but converting isn't a focus at all. I really have an itch to go read at least a canto or two of Purgatorio. But alas, the night draws to a close and I have a test tomorrow. :smallsigh:

That would be the post, I changed it to comply with the rules. Any of these interests you Bibliophile?

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 09:40 PM
I'm ashamed to say I have read none of these.

However, I'll see your Milton and Dante, and raise you a Homer and Dickens! :smalltongue:

What that means is that I have read both the Iliad and the Odyssey (though I liked the latter better), and have also read A Christmas Carol (because come on, who hasn't?), David Copperfield, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. Of the Dickens, I liked David Copperfield best. It's the only book at which I've ever cried, when David's first wife, Dora, dies. However, as my mum says, "She was too silly to live." :smalltongue:

HereticNox
2009-09-30, 09:45 PM
Ah Dickens is always fun for an enjoyable read.

Odyessy and Illiad are always a delight to read.

I see those with
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, mature readers only though.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 09:47 PM
All right, if at all possible, I would like all requests in by sunday and I will post the requests on monday and we can vote. In the meantime, raise as much awareness of this club as you can in the playground. Get as many people as you can to join. Thanks for all this enthusiasm.
-BBS
PS
Maybe if someone made a banner or people started putting links to this thread in their sigs? If people can do any of these please do them. You will be rewarded with all our thanks.

@V: Welcome to the club

Mythestopheles
2009-09-30, 09:47 PM
I'd be interested in joining.

TheBibliophile
2009-10-01, 10:06 AM
Ah Dickens is always fun for an enjoyable read.

Odyessy and Illiad are always a delight to read.

I see those with
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, mature readers only though.

Haven't read that. Have read (and seen!) The Importance of Being Earnest , by the same author, though.

I see those with my having seen an open-air performance of both The Merchant of Venice and The Three Musketeers, and having read those books in their own right as well.

valadil
2009-10-01, 10:26 AM
Have any of you checked out Good Reads (http://www.goodreads.com/group)? It's a social networking site for reading. They have a group feature - maybe a GitP group over there would make more sense?

Please note that I'm not trying to draw away attention from the Playground. Rather, I think GR is more conducive to this sort of thing than a thread on a forum, so maybe we should bring a GitP presense over there. Represent, yo!

For what it's worth, I'm not so into the social part of the site. I like it for materialistic reasons. It lets me keep track of the books I own. Books can be categorized into shelves, which are basically metadata tags. The site comes with shelves for books you own, have read, and want to read. I've also added my own shelves for books lent out to various friends, just so I have some hope of ever getting them back. The social networking is just an added bonus on top of all that.

Trai
2009-10-01, 02:43 PM
I'd love to join! I miss being co-president of my high school book club, and my college has none (though I'll probably start one). Count me in!

Stormthorn
2009-10-01, 02:54 PM
However, I'll see your Milton and Dante, and raise you a Homer and Dickens!
So do book clubs only read classic books?

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-01, 03:06 PM

I kind of see your point there - I think we should have a good mix of books, and that means I approve of Belkarsbadside's idea of a list of suggestions.

I'm going to put forward Star of the Sea, by Joseph O'Connor, as a good introductory text. However, I would also recommend any of Katherine Mansfield or J.D. Salinger's short stories, if people would prefer to start with smaller pieces.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-01, 04:32 PM
Have any of you checked out Good Reads (http://www.goodreads.com/group)? It's a social networking site for reading. They have a group feature - maybe a GitP group over there would make more sense?

Please note that I'm not trying to draw away attention from the Playground. Rather, I think GR is more conducive to this sort of thing than a thread on a forum, so maybe we should bring a GitP presense over there. Represent, yo!

For what it's worth, I'm not so into the social part of the site. I like it for materialistic reasons. It lets me keep track of the books I own. Books can be categorized into shelves, which are basically metadata tags. The site comes with shelves for books you own, have read, and want to read. I've also added my own shelves for books lent out to various friends, just so I have some hope of ever getting them back. The social networking is just an added bonus on top of all that.

Thanks for the idea. I will look into it, but for now we will have it here until I get a good grasp on who all is going to join.

Also, as a reminder, Please PM me all book requests.

HereticNox
2009-10-01, 06:20 PM

Not normally, those are just books I've enjoyed over the years. I'm partial to classics and the like, though it isn't the only books I enjoy. Those are more my suggestions, though I doubt they will ever get picked:smallfrown:

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-01, 06:31 PM
Just send me a message, as I said before.

If you guys do an online chat or whatever, I'll see if I can.

Weezer
2009-10-01, 07:05 PM
I'm very much interested, i'm always looking for good books that i haven't discovered before and this seems like an intriguing idea.

SensFan
2009-10-01, 07:42 PM
Consider me interested.

I'll suggest Life of Pi.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-01, 07:43 PM
How Many Times Do I Have To Say This?! Pm Me With A Link To A descriptin/review And A Pdf (if you can find one) If You Want Me To Take Your Suggestion!!!

SensFan
2009-10-01, 07:46 PM
Not only do I not want to be reading summaries of books I haven't read yet, but I won't be reading books online, opting instead for a paper copy.

Is this the wrong club for me?

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-01, 08:17 PM
Not only do I not want to be reading summaries of books I haven't read yet, but I won't be reading books online, opting instead for a paper copy.

Is this the wrong club for me?

Seconded, I'm afraid.

Nonetheless, I'll go haul out a summary for Star of the Sea. It won't be available online, although much of Katherine Mansfield's work probably will be - again, how do people feel about short stories?

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-01, 08:35 PM
I never said that you have to read the pdf. I just said that I would like one in case other people don't want to go to the bookstore to get a copy.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-01, 08:39 PM
I never said that you have to read the pdf. I just said that I would like one in case other people don't want to go to the bookstore to get a copy.

If we can't link, though, we're denying that book to either everyone or a particular section of the club. To me, the library would always be the first port of call in obtaining a book for a once-off read. If I like a book, I buy it - but if I'm testing the waters I'll just check it out. How many people here are able to reach a decent library regularly and/or with ease?

Elfin
2009-10-01, 08:45 PM
I have a library about 5 minutes away from my house, so that should be no problem for me.

SensFan
2009-10-01, 09:49 PM
I'm at a small University in a small town. I'll be getting the books whenever possible.

Alarra
2009-10-01, 09:55 PM
I would like to join.

Mythestopheles
2009-10-01, 10:10 PM
There's a library near my house, so I can get books fairly easily.

Zain
2009-10-01, 11:34 PM
is it to late to join? is not may i please join?

HereticNox
2009-10-02, 09:37 AM
I'm five minutes away from my university library, so no problem for me.

Are we allowed to discuss our suggestions? Then formally submit the suggestion to you?

(If you just post about your suggestion, and don't formally submit it with Belkarsbadside1. Then when voting comes around it won't be listed as a choice.)

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-02, 10:37 AM
I'm five minutes away from my university library, so no problem for me.

Are we allowed to discuss our suggestions? Then formally submit the suggestion to you?

(If you just post about your suggestion, and don't formally submit it with Belkarsbadside1. Then when voting comes around it won't be listed as a choice.)

Exactly. And yes you can do that. Just please try to not reveal any spoilers.

Trai
2009-10-02, 02:04 PM
I don't currently have access to a library, so I'll probably be buying or swapping for the books. However, suggesting PDFs as an alternative is a bad idea. A lot of authors have started voicing their annoyance about their books being pirated because it is illegal and results in lowered sales. Unless the books are in the public domain, I really don't think we should be suggesting people read online copies of the books we choose. If it's not in the public domain, it's pirated, and we're essentially promoting illegal activity.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-02, 02:12 PM
I don't currently have access to a library, so I'll probably be buying or swapping for the books. However, suggesting PDFs as an alternative is a bad idea. A lot of authors have started voicing their annoyance about their books being pirated because it is illegal and results in lowered sales. Unless the books are in the public domain, I really don't think we should be suggesting people read online copies of the books we choose. If it's not in the public domain, it's pirated, and we're essentially promoting illegal activity.

My understanding was that it was strictly public domain stuff. In retrospect maybe that was a little naive of me, but part of the problem with the need for an electronic copy was certainly that we'd be heavily restricted by time.

Tamburlaine
2009-10-02, 02:42 PM
Ooh, can I join? My university's book club has recently become defunct, so I would relish the opportunity to join in some book discussion here.

Thufir
2009-10-02, 08:42 PM
Join. Hopefully I'll actually remember to read the books, unlike last time I was in a book club...

Kallisti
2009-10-02, 10:50 PM
Count me in, certainly.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-03, 08:19 AM
Please Remember, I'm releasing the book suggestions tomorrow. So if you want to recommend a book, please PM me now

oyhr
2009-10-03, 08:24 AM
I'll join.

Viera Champion
2009-10-03, 08:25 AM
I would like to join I will pm you a book review soon.

SensFan
2009-10-03, 09:50 AM
I'll send you a PM sometime tonight. Its 11AM currently, so anywhere from 8-12 hours from now.

Lioness
2009-10-03, 09:34 PM
I'm in, however what constitutes too political or religious, etc.

For instance, I think To Kill a Mockingbird would be an excellent book to read, but it's themes are racial/political.

I also dislike the idea of a PDF reading. For most modern books that would be illegal, and most of these books should be easily available in a library.

I will send you a summary of To Kill a Mockingbird anyway, and I'll let you decide whether it's appropriate.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-03, 09:52 PM
I'm in, however what constitutes too political or religious, etc.

For instance, I think To Kill a Mockingbird would be an excellent book to read, but it's themes are racial/political.

I also dislike the idea of a PDF reading. For most modern books that would be illegal, and most of these books should be easily available in a library.

I will send you a summary of To Kill a Mockingbird anyway, and I'll let you decide whether it's appropriate.

That is perfectly fine. What I meant was nothing truly religious like a bible or a book insulting or promoting other religions as the lesson or moral of the story. Or reading a book thats pushing a political agenda, like for example American liberals are ruining the USA.

Viera Champion
2009-10-04, 08:04 AM
Ok I just sent you the link.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 12:00 PM
all right, I am posting the book nominations. No more suggestions please. Please vote only once and for one book. I will close the voting on Tuesday-Wdnesday and announce what book we'll read on Wednesday afternoon. Please do not PM me your vote. Instead please post your vote on this thread.

All right here are the nominations

Anthem By Ayn Rand (Book is legal online here (http://www.fullbooks.com/Anthemx5920.html))
Description

Background

Anthem is closer in length to a very long short story (or novella, as these are sometimes called) than a novel. The first edition was published in England in 1938, when Rand was unable to find a publisher in the United States. After the success of Rand's next novel, The Fountainhead, a revised second edition of Anthem was published in the United States in 1946. The 50th anniversary edition includes the text of the revised edition and a facsimile of the first edition with Rand's editing marks.

Summary

Anthem is written as the diary of Equality 7-2521, a young man living in a future in which people have lost all knowledge of individualism, to the point of not even knowing words like "I" or "mine." Everyone lives and works in collective groups, with all aspects of daily life dictated by "councils" -- the Council of Vocations, the Council of Scholars, etc. His curiosity leads him to forbidden discoveries and eventually to exile, where he makes the greatest discovery of all.

A detailed summary with spoilers is available.

Contents

Anthem is divided into 12 unnamed, numbered chapters.

Midshipman's Hope, by David Feintuch. (no legal pdf or online book)
description:
here (http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/info_596.asp)

Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.
Description and free ebook (legal) here (http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=43)

Star of the Sea, by Joseph O'Connor (no pdf or ebook)
description

Tragedy is a word too often used. Nevertheless, in Star of the Sea Joseph O'Connor manages to achieve a real sense of the tragic, as personal dramas of the most distressing kind play themselves out against the background of the Irish potato famine and the almost equal nightmare of the mass emigration that it caused. As passengers die of starvation and disease in steerage, a drama of adultery, inadvertent incest and inherited disease plays itself out in first class. O'Connor raises, and does not attempt definitively to answer, real questions about responsibility and choice.

Bankrupt aristocrat Meredith is emigrating, pursued by the hatred of his tenants and the memory of his mad-hero father. His children's nurse, Mary, has memories of lost love to torment her, as well as of the husband and child who died of hunger. And the ballad singer Mulvey has both his monstrous past and the certain promise that he will be tortured to death by the Liable Men should he not kill Meredith. This is a kaleidoscopic novel, whose events are seen in many idioms, from many points of view--it is a rich novel that knows that there are limits to the sense that can be made of history.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (no pdf or ebook)
description:

The novel begins with Jem and Scout Finch meeting their summer playmate, Dill. Part One focuses mainly on their exploits, the most important being their fun with Boo Radley, such as sneaking him letters and receiving gifts from a tree. We also meet the other characters, such as Miss Maudie and Miss Stephanie. Atticus begins his representation of Tom Robinson.

Part Two deals predominantly with the trial and the events leading up to it. Atticus and the kids stave off a lynch mob, and Jem and Scout start to get an idea of what their long-time neighbors think of Atticus for defending Robinson. During the trial, Atticus establishes that Mr. Ewell routinely abuses his daughter and has forced her to falsely accuse Robinson of rape. The jury still finds Robinson guilty, and Jem and Scout learn what kind of justice blacks receive from white juries. Ewell vows revenge on Atticus. Robinson is shot and killed trying to escape from prison.

At the end, Ewell attacks the children as they walk home from a Halloween festival at school, but Boo Radley saves them by killing Ewell. The resolution is very tidy as it ties up the two story lines.

What a potential reader could gain

First of all, the reader would be entertained – it’s a humorous, easy-to-read story. A reader could also gain an understanding of life in the South for a black man wrongly accused of a crime against a white woman. Finally, a reader could relive the magic and innocence of childhood through three (Jem, Scout and Dill) likeable and rambunctious children.

Theme

The primary theme of the novel, in the context of modern fiction, is civil rights. What happens to Tom Robinson is an injustice, and could only happen to a black man in the South during the 1930s (some would argue it still happens today). It could even be said that the predominantly white justice system killed Tom Robinson. These are all very powerful elements in modern fiction.

By dwelling solely on that one issue, though, is to miss the larger theme of the novel: the loss of innocence. Jem and Scout are idealistic kids who, overall, think Maycomb is a great place to live and populated with decent, honorable people. This applies especially to Jem. After Atticus finishes his cross-examination of Mr. Ewell, Jem whispers fiercely, “We got him.” In fact, he’s sure the jury will acquit Robinson. The evidence is plain as day! Scout’s a little more skeptical, but no more disillusioned at the jury’s decision. They suddenly realize their fellow neighbors aren’t quite as decent and honorable as they seem. If that’s true, maybe Maycomb isn’t so swell, either. Or the country. Or the world.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. (no pdf or ebook)
description
here (http://www.booklore.co.uk/PastReviews/PratchettTerry/SmallGods/SmallGodsReview.htm)

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 12:02 PM
I will vote for Small Gods myself

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-04, 12:13 PM
Hahaha! I'm reduced to voting for Anthem, by Ayn Rand, on the grounds of never having read it before. Can I ask who suggested it?

Thufir
2009-10-04, 12:18 PM
I'll put in my vote for Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, not Adolus.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-04, 12:22 PM
Hey, is it a rule that you can't vote for your own suggestion? If not, I think that would be a good rule to institute.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 12:24 PM
Hahaha! I'm reduced to voting for Anthem, by Ayn Rand, on the grounds of never having read it before. Can I ask who suggested it?

I did. I started reading it years ago but never finished it

Hey, is it a rule that you can't vote for your own suggestion? If not, I think that would be a good rule to institute.
and no. We have more members than nominations. there is bound to be a winner even if all the people who suggested theirs vote for themselves

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-04, 12:29 PM
I did. I started reading it years ago but never finished it

and no. We have more members than nominations. there is bound to be a winner even if all the people who suggested theirs vote for themselves

Fair enough, it's your club. Here's hoping Rand wins!

Zain
2009-10-04, 12:34 PM
i will vote for small gods

also is there not a poll thingy for threads?

Mythestopheles
2009-10-04, 12:35 PM
Voting for Small Gods, seems interesting.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 12:37 PM
i will vote for small gods

also is there not a poll thingy for threads?

If there is and If anyone can find it, that would be awesome

Elfin
2009-10-04, 12:43 PM
I'll put a vote in for Anthem.

Thufir
2009-10-04, 12:45 PM
Polls can only be created by mods, but if you ask one nicely they may be willing to make you one.

HereticNox
2009-10-04, 12:56 PM
My vote goes to Anthem.

Alarra
2009-10-04, 02:51 PM
I've added a poll to the thread, so if everyone wouldn't mind re-voting for what they've posted here, and those that haven't already could use that to vote instead.

Paradise Lost is a bit too religious, or would at the very least, be too likely to lead to religious discussion, and has not been included.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 02:53 PM
Attention everyone, Im sorry but I got the poll and i think we all have to resubmit our votes through that if you haven't. Everyone say thanks to our mod Alarra for the poll though.
That is all

Never mind Alarra just mentioned it.

Nameless
2009-10-04, 02:53 PM
I'm kinda stuck between Brave New World, To Kill a Mocking Bird and Small Gods.
I might go for Small Gods simply because Terry is one of my favourite authors though.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-04, 03:10 PM
if an interesting book is on the go i'll chip in my views on it

Faulty
2009-10-04, 04:51 PM
I have too much work to be in the book club so I'm obviously not voting, but I'd just like to warn people that I read Anthem and it's one of the worst books I've ever read.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-04, 04:53 PM
I have too much work to be in the book club so I'm obviously not voting, but I'd just like to warn people that I read Anthem and it's one of the worst books I've ever read.

I expected as such, but the point - at least for me - is that it's probably one of the worst books I've never read.

Faulty
2009-10-04, 05:08 PM
I expected as such, but the point - at least for me - is that it's probably one of the worst books I've never read.

Touché, good sir.

Quincunx
2009-10-04, 05:38 PM
Forward the dystopias!

. . .what, it's a chance to air views about books with someone other than authors, heck yes I'm in!

Madmal
2009-10-04, 05:46 PM
i'd like to join, and in that case, i'll be votingfor small gods, though it could be a little tricky to discuss...

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 05:52 PM
i'd like to join, and in that case, i'll be voting for small gods, though it could be a little tricky to discuss...

May I ask why?

V: Your in.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-04, 07:21 PM
I've added a poll to the thread, so if everyone wouldn't mind re-voting for what they've posted here, and those that haven't already could use that to vote instead.

Paradise Lost is a bit too religious, or would at the very least, be too likely to lead to religious discussion, and has not been included.

Utter Madness! A poll?! :smalltongue:

Also, I've started reading Terry Pratchet's books, and am not sure were to go next, so I'll ask to join and vote for Small Gods.

Elfin
2009-10-04, 08:59 PM
Could I change my vote to Brave New World? On closer examination it looks much more interesting than Anthem.

Dragonus45
2009-10-04, 09:04 PM
Is it to late to join the book club?

Warpfire
2009-10-04, 09:06 PM
May I ask why?

Well, it is a book about religion.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 09:13 PM
but isn't it about made up gods in a made up world?

Is it to late to join the book club?

Not at all

Warpfire
2009-10-04, 09:18 PM
Yes, but this is Terry Pratchett we're talking about: there's pretty often a message about real life. I wouldn't say he's discussing any one actual religion, but he is saying things about the real world.

I suppose if you keep things at face value there shouldn't be a problem.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-04, 09:22 PM
Ok, unfortunately im a bit ignorant of pratchetts books. :smallfrown:

By the way, Are you even a member

Warpfire
2009-10-04, 09:30 PM
No, I'm just passing through.

*mounts horse, rides off into the sunset*

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-04, 09:58 PM
I've read most of these already, but I am interested.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-10-04, 11:25 PM
I would very much like to join! Also, may I recommend the Dresden Files?/ (http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/)
(P.S. Storm Front is the first book. (click on the book for description))

Lioness
2009-10-05, 03:44 AM
I was tying between Small Gods and To Kill A Mockingbird, but decided that I should probably not suggest something and then vote for something else. So To Kill A Mockingbird is my choice, though Small Gods is awesomeness in book form.

Etcetera
2009-10-05, 01:13 PM
I'd like to express my wish to join as well. I have access to a more than capable school library, so I should be able to get hold of most books.

Ikialev
2009-10-05, 02:50 PM
Can I join the club too? I think it'll be a good way to practice english reading. :F

Dragonus45
2009-10-05, 02:53 PM
Well in reading two Pratchett books right now so im gonna vote for Star of the Sea.

And i don't know if it would make the pass of real world religion as it seems to make fun of hypocrisy more than anything. But its one of the ones i haven't read yet so i could be off. Also if anyone could do it without offending anyone its TP.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-05, 03:13 PM
I would very much like to join! Also, may I recommend the Dresden Files?/ (http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/)
(P.S. Storm Front is the first book. (click on the book for description))

Sure. And sorry, I am not taking suggestions at the moment, despite the awsomeness of that series. I was tempted to suggest it myself

Etcetera
2009-10-05, 03:16 PM
Well, I've voted for To kill a Mockingbird, if only because I feel I should have read it.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-05, 04:02 PM
This bookclub is huge! :smallbiggrin:That means it has huge knowledge! Read and critique! Read and critique!

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-05, 04:08 PM
I know!!! we need to get a banner for it so we can attract even more!!!:smallbiggrin:

I love this! I started this on a whim and its already so popular!

Dragonus45
2009-10-05, 11:49 PM
Well you have some interesting choices to read, and on the site its hard to discuss much without hitting up against a lot of he forum rules. Where do we go to look for a banner?

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-06, 05:27 AM
Well you have some interesting choices to read, and on the site its hard to discuss much without hitting up against a lot of he forum rules. Where do we go to look for a banner?

I think maybe the arts and crafts area? Ill check there this aafternoon

V: Thanks sweet

Quincunx
2009-10-06, 05:34 AM
Brave New World (full text) (http://www.huxley.net/bnw/)

The others are still under copyright. There was once a chapter of Star of the Sea on the web as promotional material but the link seems to be broken.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-06, 03:13 PM
All right, Im posting the one day warning. Hopefully the polls will be taken down sometime tomorrow and Ill announce the winning book then. I will also go over the supposed way this book club is going to be run and how we'll chat about the book. (This will just be my idea, the idea will probably need some fine tuning and editing. I will also be looking for some comments and suggestions about it, when I post everything up.)

So Vote Now If You Haven't Yet.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-07, 03:48 PM
sorry, been real busy, your all going to have to wait till thursday for the important business, but The winner is Small Gods By Terry Pratchet. So we can all start on acquiring that book. Ill tell you all later about everything again

sorry

Dragonus45
2009-10-08, 11:07 PM
Well i figure we should start sounding off if we happen to already have a copy. Which i do, ill wait for more info,

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-09, 01:33 PM
All right, sorry about the delay. Little family emergency. Anyways, I just got a copy of small gods and It looks acceptable to read. When enough people say they have the book, I will open up a new thread where we can start discussing the book.
I would like feedback on this Idea, but I think we should read the book together as a group and only read up to a certain page on a (maybe?)weekly basis so none of us can accidentaly give spoilers to people who haven't read as far as us faster readers.

So right now I would like people to do as Dragonus says aand sound off once you get the book. I would like to get everyone reading the book by Wednesday if at all possible, so I will open the thread on the first few chapters on Wednesday if all goes according to plan. For those of you who already have it, I suggest we don't read beyond page 75.

Alarra
2009-10-09, 01:52 PM
I already own this book. First Pratchett I ever bought actually.

Trai
2009-10-09, 02:07 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to get the book on time-- like I've said, I really don't have access to a great library or a major bookstore, and the two independent bookstores in town (I'm in college) don't have all that much. I'll try-- if necessary, I'll order online and have it shipped fast. But if I can't get it (or don't have time to read; I'm in the middle of midterms), I'll have to sit this one out.

Is that acceptable? I know some book clubs get weird about missing a book...

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-09, 02:09 PM
Oh no Its fine, Get the book whenever you can and just join in then.

V: Why of course, just make sure you get the book soon and read all our guidelines

BritishBill
2009-10-09, 02:15 PM
can i join?

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-11, 10:08 PM
Small Gods?

I'll pick up a copy after work tomorrow.

Make sure to specify how far along the book we can discuss as we go along, otherwise some people will have a ruined experience via Accidental Spoiler.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-11, 10:30 PM
Make sure to specify how far along the book we can discuss as we go along, otherwise some people will have a ruined experience via Accidental Spoiler.

All right, Ive looked at It and how about we go no further than the first eighty for now.

Also for the rest of you, please notify me if you get this book, because I want to get the discussion thread started ASAP.

By the way, so far I think this was a good pick and I think we hopefully will all enjoy this book

V: Your right. I have that one too. I took off a few pages so as we can preserve the book a bit longer

Madmal
2009-10-11, 10:36 PM
i got it, but it's a mass trade paperback edition, 357 pages total.

Thufir
2009-10-12, 06:01 AM
I've go- well, actually no I haven't got my own copy, but my parents have it and I've read it multiple times anyway.

Weezer
2009-10-12, 02:51 PM
I've got the book

Trai
2009-10-12, 02:57 PM
I ordered the book online; it's supposed to be here by Wednesday.

HereticNox
2009-10-12, 09:28 PM
I'll stop off at the bookstore tomorrow and pick my copy up. Should be able to read the first 70 pages by wednesday.

Edric O
2009-10-12, 10:18 PM
I'm not a member of this club, and I know voting has ended, but...

You have a rule against heavily political books and then list a book by Ayn Rand as one of the options? It's rather difficult to find any author of fiction more political than her. It doesn't matter much now, since that book did not win, but if you ever decide to read it in the future, prepare for 99% of the discussion to revolve around politics.

Come to think of it, Brave New World is also pretty difficult to discuss without heavy political references... But, at least, Brave New World leaves some ambiguity and allows for different interpretations of its message.

BritishBill
2009-10-13, 06:45 PM
Im out of town right now but ill pick it up tomorrow when i get back

Mythestopheles
2009-10-13, 07:41 PM
I should have a copy by tomorrow.

Zain
2009-10-13, 08:14 PM
i will have to sit this one out as i cannot find a copy of the book... :smallfrown:

Trai
2009-10-14, 01:33 PM
Book arrived in the mail today; I'm in.

HereticNox
2009-10-14, 04:52 PM
I'm also ready to go, provided my girlfriend had time to pick it up. I'm at my father's at the moment, I'll be reading by tomorrow.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-14, 04:57 PM
all right, heres (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7122518#post7122518)the first discussion thread.

The Bookworm
2009-10-17, 09:33 PM
Can I join? I have Small Gods...

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-17, 10:13 PM
Sure. All are welcome.

UserClone
2009-10-18, 08:29 PM
Hi! I'd like to join up as well; I'll go off and scour the used bookstores for Small Gods either in the morning or the day after tomorrow.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-21, 03:50 PM
Hey, Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. Family emergency (Cousin died :smallfrown:). Hope you understand anyways Im making the link for the next 100 pages now where we can discuss those pages. Sorry once again.
Alright. Heres (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7166578#post7166578)the link

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-26, 07:35 PM
STUPID RL!!!! I HATE IT!!!

all right heres (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7197122#post7197122)the link for the rest of the book. Also should we pick out a new book to read, because if so I will accept new book requests again. Also, I haven't really seen any conversations going on, I think we'll need to discuss how to run these in the future if we want to do it again.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-28, 03:39 PM
Note that the conversation on Small Gods is still going on but,
So, now with most people done with this book hopefully. Should we try to pick a new book?

Just leave a little post here if you're willing to do it again. Also if you have another suggestion for a new book if you are up for it, just follow the OP ruls.

Hyozo
2009-10-28, 03:49 PM
I think I'd like to join this, if I can.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-28, 04:06 PM
sure. no problem.

BritishBill
2009-10-29, 07:40 PM
Im down for a new book

Viera Champion
2009-10-29, 07:45 PM
I'm also down for a new book I will send you a pm as soon as possible.

Mythestopheles
2009-10-29, 08:21 PM
A new book? sounds good, I'm in.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-11-10, 08:24 PM
Hey, Sorry I haven't been commenting or setting things up. I'm sorry I have an unfortunate announcement: I am leaving the Giantitp forum for a while and will drastically decrease my online time (Very much like Ive been doing now. Im just making it official). I will not be able to run this club and as you can all sort of see its probably going to die soon if someone doesn't do something. So if one of you wants to run this, just PM me and Ill appoint you the new official 'RUNNER OF THIS CLUB.' But please only volunteer if you think you will have time to do this properly. And I will only pass it off to the first person who PMs me.

Also, I hope to maybe come back in a while and I will hopefully be able to join back as a member then. I will leave you all for a recommendation of Storm Front (http://www.jim-butcher.com/dresden/1/)by Jim Butcher. So long and thanks for all the metaphorical fish.

Viera Champion
2009-11-11, 04:24 PM
I will do it but how do you make a poll thread?

Gd8908
2011-08-29, 07:44 PM
Can I join, and if i can, are you in the book suggestion period, (cause I have a particularly splendiferous one), or are we in the middle of reading one?

PS: Don't worry, I don't make up words (very) often.

Rawhide
2011-08-29, 08:14 PM
Closed for thread necromancy.

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead." If a thread hasn't been posted in within the last six weeks, don't reply to it. Start a new topic, if you want to discuss the subject (you are welcome to link to the old thread). If you think it would be better to resurrect an old thread, PM a moderator for that subforum and wait for approval. The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval.