PDA

View Full Version : Good melee spells?

Jace Glaekon
2009-09-30, 08:52 PM
What are some good spells for melee fighters to get cast on them through a ring of spell storing? (Any type)

I got Wraithstrike and True Strike in mine.

Flickerdart
2009-09-30, 09:16 PM
Haste is always a winner. Does GMW qualify for a Ring of Spell-storing?

Jace Glaekon
2009-09-30, 09:44 PM
Depends on the Spell-storing ring but yeah, should be fine.

ericgrau
2009-09-30, 10:26 PM
Haste is always a winner. Does GMW qualify for a Ring of Spell-storing?

Yes but boots of speed are cheaper than a spell storing ring, and more useful than a single haste... at least for personal use. If you want to spend a round casting it on the whole party instead of letting the mage do it, then the ring is better.

GMW is fine, but I dunno why you wouldn't just have the caster cast it directly on your weapon in the morning instead of into the ring.

I imagine personal spells or spells totally unrelated to melee would be best. Like let's say your melee guy can now cast solid fog. Neat. Or a rogue could greater invis himself, etc.

Jace Glaekon
2009-10-01, 06:34 AM
Solid Fog sounds like a solo spell to me, as a party with me would not be happy with me. (Like another guy who used to play with us who cast Obscuring Mist around us while we were facing mostly ranged combatants)

Killer Angel
2009-10-01, 06:40 AM
Alter self?
+6 natural AC in combat is always welcome.
Plus all the fancy possibilities of that spell (infiltration, water breathing, and so on...).

Anyway: some suggestions in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126708)

Johel
2009-10-01, 07:14 AM
Wizards can be awesome in melee at level 10.
Protection from Energy + Fireball works fine, too :smallbiggrin:
You can safely detonate at least 2 fireballs before getting burned.

More serioulsy :
A Fighter with a ring of spellstoring (minor)
Grease, for making an opponent fall prone.
True Strike, for a maxed Power Attack next round.
Shatter, useful against a warrior-type opponent.
OR
Summon Swarm, just to be jerk
Summon Monster I, to distract the swarm if it goes wrong
A Fighter with a ring of spellstoring (normal)
Teleport, because retreat is an option
OR
Dominate Person, for extra attacks and a flanking partner.
OR
Shadow Evocation...
OR
Shadow Conjuration. You know why.
True Strike, for a maxed Power Attack next round.
OR
Polymorph
A Fighter with a ring of spellstoring (major)
Wail of the Banshee, for efficient AoE.
OR
pretty much anything, really.

boomwolf
2009-10-01, 08:04 AM
Electric vengeance always wins in my book.
Gives the other swordsman a lose-lose situation.

Zaq
2009-10-01, 08:11 AM
Counters to some of the nastier no-save-just-lose situations. Ruby Ray of Reversal is a good choice, as is Dim Door, Freedom of Movement (sure, there's a ring of FoM straight up, but it's still damn handy), Dispel Magic, and if transparency is in effect, Inconstant Location.

Leewei
2009-10-01, 12:06 PM
I'm guessing you have the three level variety?

See invisible is very handy. True strike is awesome, as you well know. Shield is decent enough, especially if you use TWF or a big old two hander. Mirror image is great.

Jace Glaekon
2009-10-01, 05:08 PM
Actually, a 10 level variety fell into my hands recently and I'm looking into ways to use it effectively.

Oh yeah, unless I am quite mistaken, 6th level and higher spells cause people to explode in the campaign I am in. Does the 3.5 Psionic/Magic transparency work for Rings of Spell-Storing or would I be looking for a Ring of Psionic-Storing?

jiriku
2009-10-03, 02:04 AM
death armor, fire shield, acid sheath. Combine with a karmic strike/robilar build and hilarity ensues.

oxinabox
2009-10-03, 09:29 AM
Critical strike.
wiz/sor 1

Korivan
2009-10-03, 09:41 AM
Bloodstone enchantment and Vampiric Touch