PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Spiked Chain Fighter

DiscipleofBob
2009-09-30, 11:23 PM
One of my favorite 3.5 characters to play was a CG Monk 2/Fighter X spiked chain build. The character both mechanically and fluff-wise was very fun to play, but the campaign ended prematurely (ironically only my character surviving due to not showing up that day). Well, I love 4e, but a lot of stuff has changed. I've managed to convert my other favorite characters over (a half-elf storm sorcerer, a warforged warden juggernaut, etc.) but I'm having trouble figuring this one out and I'd like a little help.

Here are the basics I'm looking for:

Main weapon: Spiked Chain used to maximum effect.
No armor, the character was a shirtless acrobatic monk and I'd prefer to keep him that way rather than bog him down in armor.
Need to stress that acrobatic part. Like Prince of Persia acrobatic.
No lvl requirement or houserule, I'm only planning ahead for future games up to 20
I have D&D Insider so all resources are good, want to stay Human though.
Role or power source don't really matter, as long as I get the same feel to the character.

Go nuts.

Gralamin
2009-10-01, 12:28 AM
One of my favorite 3.5 characters to play was a CG Monk 2/Fighter X spiked chain build. The character both mechanically and fluff-wise was very fun to play, but the campaign ended prematurely (ironically only my character surviving due to not showing up that day). Well, I love 4e, but a lot of stuff has changed. I've managed to convert my other favorite characters over (a half-elf storm sorcerer, a warforged warden juggernaut, etc.) but I'm having trouble figuring this one out and I'd like a little help.

Here are the basics I'm looking for:

Main weapon: Spiked Chain used to maximum effect.
No armor, the character was a shirtless acrobatic monk and I'd prefer to keep him that way rather than bog him down in armor.
Need to stress that acrobatic part. Like Prince of Persia acrobatic.
No lvl requirement or houserule, I'm only planning ahead for future games up to 20
I have D&D Insider so all resources are good, want to stay Human though.
Role or power source don't really matter, as long as I get the same feel to the character.

Go nuts.

By Far, the best way of replicating this character would be a simple homebrew feat that allows a spiked chain to be used as a monk weapon. Then grab Spiked chain training and Monk and go to town.

Without that though, We'll go with a Rogue who immediately Takes Spiked Chain Training. Lets make them a Brutal Rogue so they are good at Athletics and Acrobatic. Spiked Chain Training takes up your multiclass feat. Take Acrobatics, Athletics, and Two other skills. Use Skill Powers to give you some extra acrobatic ability, and use Spiked Chain Novice, Spiked Chain Expert, and Spiked Chain Master.

Consider grabbing Vampiric Heritage and Vampire Alacrity for a bonus to speed (And at Epic, the incredibly useful Scent of Blood). If your group has significant MBA generating capability, grab Melee Training Dexterity. Have Weapon Focus and Weapon Expertise (Light Blade). Essentially, you will have to cut something.

So Feat Wise, your probably looking at:
(h )Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
(1) Spiked Chain Training
(2) Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
(4) Spiked Chain Novice
(6) Melee Training (Dexterity) // For Spiked Chain Expert
(8) Spiked Chain Expert // If not using, both of these become free
(10) Feat on whatever
In Heroic. Afterwards, grab standard paragon feats (Paragon Defenses to retrain to Robust defenses at level 21, etc.) and then spend slots on heroic (There are a lot of good heroic feats).

Nightson
2009-10-01, 12:36 AM
Example, level 1
Human, Avenger
Build: Pursuing Avenger
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit
Background: Occupation - Mariner (+2 to Acrobatics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 9.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 16
HP: 27 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +5, Religion +5, Heal +9, Acrobatics +12, Stealth +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, History, Insight +4, Intimidate -1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Streetwise -1, Thievery +3

FEATS
Human: Spiked Chain Training
Level 1: Power of Freedom

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Pursuit
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Bonus At-Will Power: Focused Fury
Avenger encounter 1: Whirlwind Charge
Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might

ITEMS
Spiked chain, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)

That was my shot at it.

Mando Knight
2009-10-01, 12:43 AM
Avenger or Rogue with Spiked Chain Training is currently the best choice. With some DM cooperation, you could also use the Monk: have the Spiked Chain count as a Monk weapon either through a special enchantment, (a la the various Pact Weapons for the Warlock) or through a feat (similar to Arcane Implement Proficiency from Arcane Power), or possibly even without either, since the Spiked Chain isn't that much better than the Monk's Unarmed Strikes.

FoE
2009-10-01, 02:16 AM
Are you certain about staying human? Shadar-kai are the way to go for spiked chain fighters. And for all intents and purposes, they are human, just ... a subset of human.

If you make a shadar-kai rogue, you can take the Expert Chainfighter feat and use deft strike to give yourself movement whenever you hit someone. That kind of gives an acrobat feel to me. Plus, chain trip at 4th level.

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-02, 02:07 PM
If I could get the DM to houserule Spiked Chain as a monk weapon (don't really see why it's not given shaolin monk chain fighting styles), that would be perfect. I absolutely love the Monk's move at-wills. I was thinking about hybrid fighter/monk, but obviously the hybrid doesn't include rules for the Monk at this point, if it ever will.

I considered Avenger. I suppose I'll have to test out an Avenger sometime so I can see just how they play.

I actually hadn't considered Rogue before. Why Rogue instead of the other classes?

Vampiric Heritage and Shadar-kai are definitely out, unfortunately. I really don't like the fluff it does to the character.

Mando Knight
2009-10-02, 05:03 PM
I actually hadn't considered Rogue before. Why Rogue instead of the other classes?

With Spiked Chain Training, the weapon is treated as a Light Blade. Rogues have several high-mobility powers (mostly Utility, but whatever), and are just as defensive in leather as a Fighter is in a mound of Scale.