PDA

View Full Version : If you had gold.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-01, 01:44 AM
Okay, Let's say, YOU, a real person, was casually thrown into a DnD world.

And let us say that you had

A. No class levels (You are a commoner, despite what you may believe)
B. No equipment (Except basic clothing)
C. 12,000 Gold

And let's say that you could buy ANY magic item from ANY book. (An awesome merchant happens to be where you end up.) Crafting is out of the question, so no cutting corners.

What would you buy? Why? And what would you use it for?

Remember, you can BUY anything. So artifacts are also out, because they are not usually able to be bought.

Rhydeble
2009-10-01, 01:47 AM
I'd get a caster to planeshift me back home.

The White Knight
2009-10-01, 01:49 AM
I'd get a caster to planeshift me back home.

After buying a handful of wildly useful use-activated items of low-level utility spells, of course.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-01, 01:50 AM
...sigh...

Okay, let's say that there was no going back.

For the sake of argument.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 01:53 AM
Belt of Healing would be the first purchase, since I'm not particularly fond of bleeding. If I had UMD in any way, a wand of CLW would immediately follow.

Then comes trying to buy my way into wizard training.

taltamir
2009-10-01, 01:57 AM
...sigh...

Okay, let's say that there was no going back.

For the sake of argument.

why? let him go home if he wishes... some people would chose that...

Me? I'd buy myself some wizard training.

Teron
2009-10-01, 01:59 AM
A candle of invocation. :smallbiggrin:

Jergmo
2009-10-01, 02:00 AM
Wait, why would we be Commoners, and not Experts? :smalltongue:

charl
2009-10-01, 02:02 AM
One of those ioun stones that makes it so you don't need to eat or sleep. Then I'd try to find a psion to train me if they exist in the setting, otherwise wizard sounds nice.

taltamir
2009-10-01, 02:02 AM
One of those ioun stones that makes it so you don't need to eat or sleep. Then I'd try to find a psion to train me if they exist in the setting, otherwise wizard sounds nice.

there is also a ring... ring of sustenance.

Kosjsjach
2009-10-01, 02:14 AM
there is also a ring... ring of sustenance.

Which will still leave you with 190 pounds of gold. :smallbiggrin:

Good call on the ring, though. One less thing to worry about.

As for myself... hmm... I'll have to get back to you on that, I can't think of anything that I remember falling head-over-heels for.
(Head over heels. What a delightfully old-timey-sounding phrase.)

Edit: A vestment of many styles from Races of Eberron would be cool; basically a limitless wardrobe. And I again agree with a previous poster on the utility of the healing belt.

Ok, so now I'm a stylin' commoner that never needs to eat and probably won't die from falling off a roof. I'm in a D&D world filled with undead and dragons and abberations (oh my), so my next priority is safeguarding myself against the world.

I'll let someone else decide the best way to do that. I'm not very good at it.

Edit again: replace vestment of many styles with hat of disguise. Bit more costly, but the increased utility is worth it.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-01, 02:31 AM
I'd buy a candle of invocation. :smallcool:

[edit] Ack. Somehow I didn't notice that that was already taken. So much for being cool and unique...

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 02:32 AM
Psssh, that's what Pazuzu is for.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-10-01, 02:35 AM
Bribe the DM?

BooNL
2009-10-01, 02:36 AM
I agree with the basics:
- ring of sustenance
- hat of disguise
- healing belt

That will at least allow you to live in that world with (relative) safety.

I think the most sensible thing I could do is to buy a tavern, name it the Feisty Goat and surround myself with strong, able heroes. If you serve good ale, those adventurers will protect you better than any magic item out there.

Dairun Cates
2009-10-01, 02:41 AM
Cloak of Prestidigitation (A Cloak that activates prestidigitation on a keyword) and Magical Gilded Farming Equipment with some kind of Super Ox if I can manage it.

If I HAVE to be a farmer. I may as well be Super Farmer.

charl
2009-10-01, 02:43 AM
I think I'd want to be some kind of lorekeeper, or a nobleman. That way I could live a peaceful life and still live in relative luxury.

kwanzaabot
2009-10-01, 03:06 AM
I think I'd want to be some kind of lorekeeper, or a nobleman. That way I could live a peaceful life and still live in relative luxury.

...until the barbarian Orc horde comes along.

charl
2009-10-01, 03:07 AM
...until the barbarian Orc horde comes along.

That's when all that wizard training comes in handy.

kwanzaabot
2009-10-01, 03:19 AM
That's when all that wizard training comes in handy.

.... you win this round.

Yora
2009-10-01, 03:23 AM
I agree with the basics:
- ring of sustenance
- hat of disguise
- healing belt

That will at least allow you to live in that world with (relative) safety.

I think the most sensible thing I could do is to buy a tavern, name it the Feisty Goat and surround myself with strong, able heroes. If you serve good ale, those adventurers will protect you better than any magic item out there.

That'd be about my plan. :smallbiggrin:

Make sure that my health is save, and then invest the money that's left.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 04:18 AM
Of course...I say I'd take the cautious route, but if my past experience is any guide, it'd probably be more of a "Hey guys, I heard you need another adventurer", resulting in my commoner butt getting into no end of trouble.

JellyPooga
2009-10-01, 04:25 AM
To be honest, I'd probably fritter it away on useless, but cool, items like Dust of Dryness, Quaals' Feather Token:Tree and such.

Either that or a Rod of Wonder...

Chrono22
2009-10-01, 05:25 AM
Huh... probably a Spyglass (functionally a Scrying Shard and a telescope combined), a Tome of Worldly Memory, and a Map of Unseen Lands.
For those that don't know: the spyglass would let me spy upon a target of my choice, as per the scrying spell.
The tome of worldly memory can be called upon to fill its blank pages with information about whatever I'm researching at the time.
The map of unseen lands charts your surroundings, including notable terrain features, locations, and dangers.

I doubt that covers all 12000 gp, but I'd rather not overthink it.

Indon
2009-10-01, 07:09 AM

One CN group and your tavern, and entire town, could be leveled.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-01, 07:21 AM

This, we also know that none of the adventurers would mess with you thinking you are a retired high level adventurer.

Johel
2009-10-01, 07:36 AM
Ring of Sustenance
Because that middle-age food just won't do. Also, less sleep, so less chance to be eaten by an owlbear. Yeah !!!

Hat of Disguise
Because I'd need to blend in. Sooooo many opportunities.

Ring of Feather Fall
Because nothing say "stupid death" like free fall
And it's fun to jump from a three-storey building.

Boots of the Winterlands
Because nothing say "stupid death" like a cold.
Middle-age means no real (and cheap) medicine.

Bag of Tricks, Rust
Because having a wolverine or a wolf ready to protect you is nice.
The boar and the black bear aren't bad, too.

Now, I don't need food, drink or heat.
I have a suicidal bodyguard that most commoner will fear.
And I can change identity at will.
Future may be dark but I'll survive... :smallamused:

SparkMandriller
2009-10-01, 07:37 AM
Partially charged wands.

Zaq
2009-10-01, 08:08 AM
Some magical way of dealing with sanitation and providing creature comforts.

Look, there's a reason I'm not a brave heroic adventurer in reality, and it's only partially because I don't have magic to hide behind or demons to slay. I'm a soft and lazy bastard who's been thoroughly spoiled by 21st century conveniences. Magic can replicate at least some of that, so chances are good I'd try to take advantage of that.

Of course, having 12k worth of magic items and no class levels makes me a prime target for getting robbed, killed, or both, so yeah. Kill folks and take their stuff indeed.

Johel
2009-10-01, 08:15 AM
Of course, having 12k worth of magic items and no class levels makes me a prime target for getting robbed, killed, or both, so yeah. Kill folks and take their stuff indeed.

You, sir, just summed up the whole situation : too much gold for too little power. So, live hidden, live happy. :smallwink:

boomwolf
2009-10-01, 08:29 AM
Ring of Substance and Hat of Disguise are pretty much a must.
A neverending healing thingy is also nice.

OR;
Some good magic items for making you top-tier combatant for your level, go adventuring to level p a bit, and then start taking underleveled adventures just to get some easy coin. you know the system-you are the ONLY who knows the system. you can sure take advantage of this.

Zovc
2009-10-01, 08:48 AM
Well, I'd try to become an Elan. It'd be like having a ring of sustenance that can't be stolen... it'd also practically give me 2hp per power point I have. What's more, I don't have to sustain myself if I don't want to (if for some reason I didn't). Would I keep my bonus feat I got as a human? Elans don't, but they're not a template (as much as they are flavored as a template).

Oh, being an Elan makes me immune to Charm Person. :3

Hopefully I could become a Psion or a Psiwar (power points again helping keep me alive), and later become a Factotum (for cool points, besides, I think that's the most literal "adventurer class").

So, how much gold would it take for me to become an Elan, assuming I could buy myself transcendence? I'll go from there.

Fluffles
2009-10-01, 08:53 AM
I'd hire a wizard to make me immune to fire (If only temporarily), then get a necklace of fire balls :)

Then I'd find a warblade school. And master Tiger Claw. Then go on an adventure and get myself killed. :smallcool:

Johel
2009-10-01, 09:08 AM
I'd hire a wizard to make me immune to fire (If only temporarily), then get a necklace of fire balls :)

Then I'd find a warblade school. And master Tiger Claw. Then go on an adventure and get myself killed. :smallcool:

This makes me think : we'd be thrown in a DnD world.
Are we in a fluffy, well-developped setting where you have to actually train to get your class level ?
Or is it just your basic crunchy world where you just happen to suddenly discover you had those amazing sorcerer powers buried deep inside you, but they never showed up until you slaughter a village with a necklace of fireball ? Bonus if you become level 2 the next day using the same tactic.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-01, 09:15 AM
The standards, of course.

Ring of Sustenance
Healing Belt
Hat of Disguise
Item of Prestidigitation

Invest the rest of the money in various holdings and put that business schooling to good use. Eventually try and pay for archivist training, or wizard if inapplicable.

Person_Man
2009-10-01, 09:22 AM
I would invest in a magic item store. A 50% profit margin on the resale of items is huge. If need be, I'd commission adventurers to go out and do things, because in the long run I'd always end up making money off of them. I would save up enough money until I could afford enough to pay a Wizard to cast Polymorph any Object on me, so that I could permanently be turned into some immortal or nearly immortal race (Warforged, Dragonwraught Kobold, etc). I would then become an Archivist, and seek out a series of low level encounters (let's clear the sewers!). If I ever came across an encounter where I could potentially die, I would teleport away (which shouldn't be that difficult, I own a magic item store). Upon reaching Epic level, I'd create my own pocket dimension, and reshape it to fit my whims.

Now that I think about it, that's probably the plot of some D&D fan fiction.

Jarawara
2009-10-01, 09:42 AM
I would seek out a wizard who can plane-shift back to my own dimension...

...yes, I saw the restriction that I can't go home. But it didn't say anything about the wizard *going to my home*, did it?

So, send wizard to my home, have him collect my computer, gaming supplies and a healthy supply of those little debbie peanut butter wafers. Pop back to the D&D world, and then I set up the computer and hop online to find others from my dimension, (set up an online group so others can find me). Then we all play D&D online.

I can defray the cost of the dimension hopping if I hire a Necromancer to do the task.... I'll just offer him my Resident Evil collection as payment. :smallwink:

Shinizak
2009-10-01, 10:07 AM
I'd buy a dust of sneezing and choking, and scythe.

I'd then find the nearest dragon, use the dust of sneezing and choking on it and coup de grace it. Can you say easy XP?

Amador
2009-10-01, 10:29 AM
Ring of Sustenance
Ring of Feather Fall
Hat of Disguise
HHH fill with rope, oil, grappling hook etc. etc.

Then I would go find a druid to teach me the ways of the wild.

J.Gellert
2009-10-01, 10:36 AM
What has been said, and I'll just add some kind of item that makes me immune to disease, because that'd be a problem.

(Another time, I will explain how being immune to disease effectively makes you "immortal").

JeenLeen
2009-10-01, 10:55 AM
With the 3,000 gp Bag of Tricks, you probably have enough combat ability to hide out in the back of an adventurer group and contribute until you can reach level 2 (Commoner 1; PC class 1). Probably safe to reach level 3 before retiring as mayor (or wealthy recluse) in a village or city.

I could see Wizard 1 (Conjurer; Abrupt Jump ACF) and a good HD/saves class giving you what you need to live fairly safely or run quickly. Commoner 1 / Wizard 1 / Cleric 1 would probably be a good deal.

Iku Rex
2009-10-01, 11:04 AM
Trying to stick with the intent of the OP, I'll go with

2500 Ring of Sustenance
750 Healing Belt (MIC)
1100 Mithral Chain Shirt
500 Least Crystal of Adaption (MIC)
600 2x Magebred (ECS) Riding Dogs
20 2x Leather Armor Barding
800 Amber Amulet of Vermin (Giant Wasp)
2500 Crystal Mask of Languages (MIC)
1500 Tome of Worldly Memory (MIC)
300 Potion of Invisibility

10570 Total
1430 Left

Add some mundane gear (like clothes and crossbow).

I will never be hungry or thirsty (ring), hot or cold (crystal) and I need little sleep. The belt fixes minor injuries, and could actually provide me with a good income if necessary.

The armor protect me a little from minor threats, like a commoner mugger. The dogs guard me while I sleep and intimidate potential attackers. (Make them male and female and I should eventually have valuable puppies.) The wasp provides additional muscle in an emergency. If I have to kill orcs to learn wizardry I should be an asset to any low-level adventuring party.

The mask lets me speak, read and write five languages. The tome will come in handy when I'm making knowledge checks to invent guns, steam engines, dynamite, and so on.

Gnaeus
2009-10-01, 11:05 AM
Ring of Sustenance and Hewards Haversack-4500
Custom, command word activated item of Cure Disease 1/day (CL5, SL3=3x5x1800=27,000/5 for 1 charge per day)=5400
Mithril chain shirt=1100
Armor Crystal of Adaptation=500
Amber Amulet of Vermin (Giant Bee)=500

Sign on with caravans (carrying gear in your haversack) to make money. The giant bee is an acceptable bodyguard until I could train myself in some weapon or magic use. You can also make quick cash by offering to cure people's diseases at a steep discount. Remember cure disease also handles parasites.

Edit: Pooh. Mostly ninjed.

Zovc
2009-10-01, 12:01 PM
With the 3,000 gp Bag of Tricks, you probably have enough combat ability to hide out in the back of an adventurer group and contribute until you can reach level 2 (Commoner 1; PC class 1). Probably safe to reach level 3 before retiring as mayor (or wealthy recluse) in a village or city.

I could see Wizard 1 (Conjurer; Abrupt Jump ACF) and a good HD/saves class giving you what you need to live fairly safely or run quickly. Commoner 1 / Wizard 1 / Cleric 1 would probably be a good deal.

Commoner 1 / Psion 1 / Factotum 1. We'd make a pretty good party, although I'd be more SAD. We'd have the same average HP, though (without factoring CON). X3

I wonder if I'd want to retire by that point? I probably wouldn't want to, but I don't know how risky of adventures I'd take on.

Octopus Jack
2009-10-01, 12:17 PM
Buy an axe...
Pay someone to train me how to use it...
Buy a better axe...
Get angry about something...
Forget how to read..
And *Poof* im a barbarian, a very rich barbarian

Kosjsjach
2009-10-01, 12:22 PM
Good call on the crystal of adaptation. I'm also a fan of the amber amulet of vermin idea. I still think I'd go for the hat of disguise over the tome and mask. In the end, let's face it, you're a commoner; adventuring just isn't a very good idea.

If gaining class levels aren't an option, I'd find a nice human city, maybe do some volunteer healing at the local temple (good PR for them, and it gives me some friends with access to sometimes-necessary remove spells), spend my free time at the library, and be ready to hoof it when (sometimes literally) all hell breaks loose.

Telonius
2009-10-01, 12:24 PM
Purchase list:

Hat of Disguise
Ring of Sustenance
Circlet of Persuasion
Holy Symbol
Pen, paper

Donate most of the rest to the local Temple of Fharlanghn (or Sune, if we're in Faerun) as a way to start my career as a scribe or (if I'm lucky) Cleric.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-01, 12:45 PM
Partially charged wands.
They're just expensive sticks. Commoners don't have spell lists, and don't have Use Magic Device on their class skill list -- and UMD is a trained only skill.

I guess you'd have some ready kindling when it gets cold. :smallwink:

Fluffles
2009-10-01, 12:48 PM
I'd buy a dust of sneezing and choking, and scythe.

I'd then find the nearest dragon, use the dust of sneezing and choking on it and coup de grace it. Can you say easy XP?

Good luck on getting it to fail it's Fort save :)

Dacia Brabant
2009-10-01, 02:04 PM
1. Get a 1 use/day Item of Psionic Fabricate for 11,200 gp
2. Get a 1 use/day Item of Psionic Minor Creation for 600 gp
3. Make stuff
4. Sell stuff
5. Profit!
6. ???

:smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 02:08 PM

Not to mention the not-inconsiderable problem of sneaking up to the dragon and getting to act before you become commoner hors-de-ovres.

sofawall
2009-10-01, 02:19 PM
They're just expensive sticks. Commoners don't have spell lists, and don't have Use Magic Device on their class skill list -- and UMD is a trained only skill.

I guess you'd have some ready kindling when it gets cold. :smallwink:

You can still put ranks in cross-class skills.

Just takes forever.

aje8
2009-10-01, 03:11 PM
1. Buy Candle of Invocation.
2. Wish for 2 things, then wish for another candle.
3. Become all powerful, I don't care which method. (I don't take over the world or anything as that could piss off gods and powerful people. I just sit in my secluded demi-plane where I have abosulute power and enjoy for eternity)
4. ?????
5. Profit.

I would never chain gate or get infinite wishes in real DnD but if I'm thrown in the world, you'd better believe I'm using every trick in the book.

daggaz
2009-10-01, 03:16 PM
I would invest in a magic item store. A 50% profit margin on the resale of items is huge. If need be, I'd commission adventurers to go out and do things, because in the long run I'd always end up making money off of them. I would save up enough money until I could afford enough to pay a Wizard to cast Polymorph any Object on me, so that I could permanently be turned into some immortal or nearly immortal race (Warforged, Dragonwraught Kobold, etc). I would then become an Archivist, and seek out a series of low level encounters (let's clear the sewers!). If I ever came across an encounter where I could potentially die, I would teleport away (which shouldn't be that difficult, I own a magic item store). Upon reaching Epic level, I'd create my own pocket dimension, and reshape it to fit my whims.

Now that I think about it, that's probably the plot of some D&D fan fiction.

Dammit... I got ninja'd.. This was exactly what I was thinking. :smalltongue:

Aron Times
2009-10-01, 03:55 PM
I'd use the gold to pay for an education, preferably in something arcane: wizard, swordmage, or sorcerer training, the latter if I have some innate magical ability.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-01, 04:15 PM
The mask lets me speak, read and write five languages. The tome will come in handy when I'm making knowledge checks to invent guns, steam engines, dynamite, and so on.

You are the first one who mentioned they would try and profit off of their real world knowledge.

I'm impressed.

Akal Saris
2009-10-01, 04:42 PM
Hmm...

500g for a Magic Bedroll: so I have endure elements while sleeping, important to me in a quasi-medieval hellhole. (MIC)
700g for an amulet of vermin: Huge Scorpion. So I have a CR 7 monster to protect me 1/day - that should be enough to fend off the dire rats and occasional bandits. (MIC)
5,200g Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic - so I know all languages and have +5 on Decipher Script (MIC)
750g Healing Belt (MIC) - so I don't have to pay through the nose for healing in an emergency.
200g Everfull Mug - lots of beer, wine, or water each day - after a year I'll probably recoup the investment, all without leaving my home to pull water at the local well! (MIC)
1500g Tome of Worldly Memory: 3/day +5 on a Knowledge check (MIC)
~3,000g for living expenses

Essentially, set myself up as a local scribe and sage, and live comfortably as a civilian. Maybe join the clergy as well, depending on the campaign setting - some of the deities in D&D are gods that I would realistically follow.

Alternatively:
Horn of Plenty (12,000g), and set myself up as a gourmet chef for the local lord, serving 10 lucky guests each night a Heroes' Feast =P

Lamech
2009-10-01, 05:23 PM
A candle of invocation. Duh.

Oh right thats not allowed in the least... umm... something that lets me shapechange once. Then I infect my self with every strain of lycanthropy there is. Ahh... the skill points. So many skill points. And feats. So many feats. Then I would go lose a level. So my xp is set half way between level lots and lots +1. Then I would get some of those strains cured. And then hey I think I would have enough xp to level, a lot of times. And then I would get my animal HD back.

Oh right thats not allowed either. I would purchase some archivist/psion training.

And I suspect a large number of us would be experts, or more over some wierd expert like class with low Bab, and higher skill points.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-01, 05:31 PM
I think I would conquer a small swath of land and build a small castle.

Isn't the going wage for a mercenary something like 1 gold piece a day?

I could higher 850 first level warriors for a two weeks.

Lamech
2009-10-01, 05:34 PM
Actually warlock training would be fun too. Although I don't think that is trainable.

BobVosh
2009-10-01, 05:36 PM
Periapt of Health-7,400
Healing Belt-750

Spend the rest on training. Once I have wizard levels use my knowledge gleamed from here on breaking the system. Hell I would do my best to replicate the PHB from memory and sell it to the wizards as an almanac style book on the world and how it works.

I would level via the NPC way. Work my hardest on not being an adventurer.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-01, 05:42 PM

I always figured that the laws of physics didn't work quite the same in Dnd. Like 2+2=Chair.

Otherwise wouldn't one of the numerous insanely intelligent creature's have stumbled across the idea of a steam engine in their centuries of life.

I mean the we figured it out and none of use npc human types are supposed to have an Int over 14 right?

DudestMonk
2009-10-01, 05:50 PM
Enough of that green star dust stuff to make me immortal?

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-01, 05:54 PM
You can buy immortality?

Dude that is

AWESOME!

charl
2009-10-01, 06:26 PM
Actually warlock training would be fun too. Although I don't think that is trainable.

All you need to do is find an otherwordly entity and sell your soul to it. In DnD terms that shouldn't be very difficult.

Dr_Emperor
2009-10-01, 06:33 PM
I don't think most people need to buy health disease items, really at least not until your older your immune systems will probably be fine from nonmagic diseases. Probably, judging by your access to computers you're all affluent enough to have a much better nutrition and survive plagues much better than joe the native commoner. Plus, knowing your in a world were super awesome powers are available you'll probably decide to eat balanced meals to survive longer, that and you know if there are sick people around that you need to wash your hands.

So mostly the disquise things I think and wizard training, or living in luxury on the rest of the money.

Dust of Sneezing and choking is a good item to pick up with the knowledge that I'll fail the save he'll succeed and get hit with the worse effect, if I can hit it when its stunned and kill it in 5d4 rounds.

I also can't believe no one suggested leveraging knowledge of the setting, cause I'm so looking foward to geting mauled by a wearbear, then making a faustinian pact with a devil (I have no clue being from a different world where my soul was going, and this way I'd at least know for sure), then worshipping an elder evil who will never escape, then finding a way to become immortal, and killing that elder evil so those flaws never show up. Challenging only very weak monsters CR-4 types.

Also depending on the year in Forgotten realms a spell plaque could be coming so no wizardry

charl
2009-10-01, 07:09 PM
Speaking of disease there might be a problem with you, coming from the modern world, spreading a lot of really deadly outbreaks around you. Sort of like how European disease devastated the new world when exploration began.

Shinizak
2009-10-01, 07:26 PM

Dust of sneezing and choking has no fort save, it's a x4 crit with 2d4 damage, that's 8d4. at least it's going to be an 18, at most it's going to be a 42. If it makes you feel better I'll have a readied action to throw the dust.

(of course I might have to invest in a magic weapon)

Masaioh
2009-10-01, 07:40 PM
I'd buy a ring of sustenance, a new set of clothing to help me fit in, and lessons from a wizard if possible.

Voldecanter
2009-10-01, 07:41 PM
Well I once read that 1 gp = 5 xp , so that would get me 60,000 xp .

With 12,000 gp I could afford training until level 11 , just short of 6,000 xp until level 12 . Well , in a d&d world I would take myself to the nearest Temple Devouted to the God(s)( or ess) of magic , and ask to be trained in the ways of Wizardry and when they say , No , money Please : I have enough money to train in wizardy till level 11 and then some; if I have to pay . Not to mention , during my training , I could always consider doing the Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge build . With the Extra Money I have left over I would Buy Goose-Down Feathers , some fabrics and hire a seamstress to make me high-quality Bed covers and matress fillings so I am able to sleep more or less in a modern bed .

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 07:46 PM
I believe it's 1xp = 5 gp, unfortunately.

Otherwise, I would buy levels routinely. WBL is such that you could exploit that massively.

Jayngfet
2009-10-01, 07:49 PM
Hire some sorcerers/planetouched/dragonbloods. Use my knowledge of biology to sift through them to find ones that match my blood type, then give myself regular injections of their blood. After that train as a sorcerer with my spiffy heritage feats and use my modern knowledge of the human body and new magical powers to become a magiteck creator.

taltamir
2009-10-01, 09:04 PM
its... 1 xp permanently destroyed to create a magic item or spell increases its cost by 5gp... one way conversion AFAIK.

As for not levering our knowledge, it is assumed to be so obvious as to not need mentioning...

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 02:11 PM
I don't think most people need to buy health disease items, really at least not until your older your immune systems will probably be fine from nonmagic diseases. Probably, judging by your access to computers you're all affluent enough to have a much better nutrition and survive plagues much better than joe the native commoner. Plus, knowing your in a world were super awesome powers are available you'll probably decide to eat balanced meals to survive longer, that and you know if there are sick people around that you need to wash your hands.

1. Being able to survive longer than Joe the commoner is crummy if the life expectation for commoners is under 35.

2. We might not have had a chance to build up immunity to the local disease strains. Similarly, there is some chance that our presence could cause major civilization crushing epidemics.

3. Understanding germ theory doesn't stop many diseases. Mosquito or tick bites can be deadly. Fleas can be deadly, and everyone around you has fleas. You are probably walking through streets filled with sick beggars, wherein people empty their chamberpots into the streets every morning. Just because you know that breathing through a scented cloth doesn't help you, doesn't mean that you aren't vulnerable.

4. Have you ever been to a modern foreign country? Water contains bacteria and parasites that vary from place to place. In a place without modern health care or water treatment, stomach illnesses can easily be fatal. Dying of runny poo is a bad way to go.

5. 0 Dentistry. Aside from not WANTING to lose all my teeth to things like gum disease, and the consequences of lack of dental care, like having your breath smell like a sewer, a dental infection can also prove fatal to someone without a dentist or antibiotics.

6. Many of us certainly already have health problems that would have been fatal in a different time period. Personally, my allergies> sinus and ear infections. Thats a fatality.

7. Maybe it isn't all about us. Plan on bedding a bar wench? Better cure disease first. Want to get married? Hope your spouse doesn't get sick. Want kids? You are going to feel really bad when your infant dies of something you could have prevented.

You REALLY want a 1/day cure disease item.

Telonius
2009-10-02, 02:21 PM
Life expectancy at birth would be around 35-40 or so for the Middle Ages, but most of that is due to super-high infant and child mortality, as well as death in childbirth for women. As long as you're male and survive the first six or seven years of life, you could reasonably look forward to about 60 years, barring accident, war, or plague. Though that makes one of your other points all the more pertinent.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-02, 02:23 PM
7. Maybe it isn't all about us. Plan on bedding a bar wench? Better cure disease first.

cure disease *after*.

Eloel
2009-10-02, 02:33 PM
cure disease *after*.

*first* works just good, if you use it on the bar wench.

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 02:35 PM
Cure disease ON HER first. There is a STD in BoEF that knocks you out when you contract it.

Most mundane diseases would be fine if you zapped yourself 1/week or so or whenever you started showing symptoms.

Tokiko Mima
2009-10-02, 02:35 PM
If modern cinema has taught me anything, it's that all I need to survive time trips to the dark ages are a chainsaw for a hand, a boom-stick, and a bad attitude.

http://worldsstrongestlibrarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bruce_campbell_army_of_darkness.jpg
Because anything else is superfluous.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-02, 02:41 PM
*first* works just good, if you use it on the bar wench.

Ah...healing others. Interesting concept.

As for a disease that knocks you out when you get it...presumably you wake from it before dying. Otherwise...this meeting with the bar wench takes on a whole different light.

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 02:42 PM
Ah...healing others. Interesting concept.

As for a disease that knocks you out when you get it...presumably you wake from it before dying. Otherwise...this meeting with the bar wench takes on a whole different light.

You wake from it, and find yourself naked in a ditch while your former partner is across town selling 12,000 gp worth of magic items.

Edit: Sorry, it doesn't knock you out, it paralyzes you for 1d4 hours. "Whore's Delight" is its name. BoEF 47.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-02, 02:58 PM
If you brought 12k gold worth of items to such a meeting, you deserved that.

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 03:17 PM
Well, personally, I would be more concerned about the health of my wife or children. But assuming that you were going in for laying the bar-wenches at the inn, I would think that keeping your worldly possessions near you would be at least as safe as most of your other options. MAYBE there is a Gringotts branch with a guard dragon somewhere in town where you could stow your gear, but probably not in most places.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-02, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't mind having an unlimited-use item of metamorphosis, myself, though the going price is more than 80k.

What about a Persisted shapechange tattoo (using metamagic reducers, of course)? Who needs an item that cures diseases when you can just turn yourself into something that isn't affected by it?

Also, buy retraining to become something interesting and find a way to get more experienced without having to put my neck on the line.

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't mind having an unlimited-use item of metamorphosis, myself, though the going price is more than 80k.

What about a Persisted shapechange tattoo (using metamagic reducers, of course)? Who needs an item that cures diseases when you can just turn yourself into something that isn't affected by it?

Isn't that way over 12k gold?

Pie Guy
2009-10-02, 05:38 PM
I'd put the gold in a sack and whack people I don't like over the head with it.

Paulus
2009-10-02, 06:05 PM
Well first off, I would hire some adventures to protect me. Obviously I've been turned into some kind of quest for them. Together we would have wacky adventures trying to find out why I was dumped into this world with a bunch of cash and no way to survive, whereby, I would grow to become an endearing character for them and I would slowly learn some of their arts as I stumblingly paid my and their way for a while all the while using my superior knowledge of the system to aid them on their journey, whereby somehow myself and possibly one of the adventueresses' would fall in love (maybe a druid), and my body would slowly acclimate to their world and I would be swept up in a massive adventure with them where we would do or die and they will tell stories of me and my party and finally when my time came, with my love, I would face whatever god decided it would be fun to uproot me from all I know and love and dump me helplessly into a hostile world of death, suffering, and dragons: thus and scowling, staring upon them...

say "thank you."

charl
2009-10-02, 07:08 PM
4. Have you ever been to a modern foreign country? Water contains bacteria and parasites that vary from place to place. In a place without modern health care or water treatment, stomach illnesses can easily be fatal. Dying of runny poo is a bad way to go.

I don't know exactly where you live (but I can make a pretty good guess) but not all countries outside your own are that bad. Far from it. There are probably many that are better than your own in many aspects.

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 07:20 PM
I don't know exactly where you live (but I can make a pretty good guess) but not all countries outside your own are that bad. Far from it. There are probably many that are better than your own in many aspects.

I am not saying that the water quality is worse where you are. I am saying that when you travel to a new location water can have stuff in it that your gut isn't used to. That isn't a slam on any area, that's a fact.

At the moment, my city, which just flooded, has undrinkable water, so it is probably better where you are.

Most D&D worlds (well all I can think of with possible exception of parts of Eberron, are likely to have no water standards at all.

Random832
2009-10-02, 07:34 PM

Nowhere gets rid of _all_ the stuff in the water - I got sick once from drinking tap water in Toronto. The problem is all the _little_ stuff that everyone who actually lives there is easily immune to. It's not a matter of being "better" or "worse" - you probably shouldn't drink the water in the US either (or even a different region therein than your own if you do live there), or at least be ready to take some time getting used to it.

Anyway, anywhere in a medieval world is going to have the worst of it - even upstream of cities (the less said about the downstream, the better) you're going to have agricultural runoff from animal waste. Wells would be a somewhat better bet than river water in any case. (though safest of all would be not to drink _anything_ without at least a small amount of alcohol in it) Even the locals will probably know that.

charl
2009-10-02, 08:21 PM
Nowhere gets rid of _all_ the stuff in the water - I got sick once from drinking tap water in Toronto. The problem is all the _little_ stuff that everyone who actually lives there is easily immune to. It's not a matter of being "better" or "worse" - you probably shouldn't drink the water in the US either (or even a different region therein than your own if you do live there), or at least be ready to take some time getting used to it.

Anyway, anywhere in a medieval world is going to have the worst of it - even upstream of cities (the less said about the downstream, the better) you're going to have agricultural runoff from animal waste. Wells would be a somewhat better bet than river water in any case. (though safest of all would be not to drink _anything_ without at least a small amount of alcohol in it) Even the locals will probably know that.

Fair enough about the water quality (though I've been able to drink water from all over Europe without getting sick).

As for medieval hydration, in Europe everyone drank beer or wine. No other substitutes were available if you wanted to live (a little longer). Of course they knew to not drink so much that they got drunk.

But you are a modern human. You know that while Europe drank alcohol, Asia drank tea instead, which meant boiling the water and thus killing a lot of the organisms in it (this preference for tea over alcoholic beverages is speculated to be part of the reason why Asian ethnic groups have less of the enzyme needed to break down ethanol and get drunk a bit faster). So all you need to do is find some herbs to make some tea (infusion, whatever) and something to boil water with and you can avoid booze, whatever you would want to do that for.

Gnaeus
2009-10-02, 08:40 PM
Yes, boiling everything you drink will help, but it doesn't totally solve the problem. By being careful, you can avoid drinking the water wherever you are for a while, but eventually, most of us accidently eat or drink something with local water in it, get sick, and that process acclimates us to local conditions. Unless we get really sick, and have to go to the hospital. That is why if you are visiting a strange city for a week, you are better off not drinking the water, but if you are going for a month or more, you are better off drinking it and getting it over with (unless you are in one of those places where water quality really is BAD, like here at the moment).

taltamir
2009-10-02, 08:49 PM
in the real world, there is a parasite whose eggs can survive boiling... after boiling, when the water starts to cool, it hatches from its highly durable cocoon and starts swimming around in your water...

Of course, you could boil it twice, but in a world of magic you could just have parasites of the fire type which are immune to fire and heat damage, period.

Lamech
2009-10-02, 08:58 PM
So what your saying is we should use some of the gold to buy ourselves a distilling apperatus?

Godna
2009-10-02, 09:05 PM
isn't purify water a spell?

Lamech
2009-10-02, 09:08 PM
This would also give you the ablity to preform alchemy checks. You could buy a whole lab.

woodenbandman
2009-10-02, 09:13 PM
I'd get a used Lyre of Building.

taltamir
2009-10-02, 09:52 PM
isn't purify water a spell?
So is create water.

can you cast magic IRL?
if not, then you will have to buy a magic item that does it for you in DnD. And it will not protect you against diseases from other sources, so I will take the belt of cure any disease and parasite ever.

I have to agree with whomever said that just because you know how things work you are not immune... sure you can TELL that leeches aren't gonna cure the disease random peasant is suffering from, and that it is caused by bacteria... but how is that helping you resist catching it?

Paulus
2009-10-02, 11:17 PM
Don't drink the water etc etc

You know guys... I doubt pelor or any of the good gods would let you die from overpoopage.

I bet clerics from all over run around from town to town purifying the water for all. Personally, I'd be more worried about poisons than disease or bacteria or germs. Poisons can be instantly fatal, which means no running to any temple or nothing...

of course... an owlbear or a dragon are far more likely to end you...

heh.
Forget the water, don't drink the dragons!

tcrudisi
2009-10-03, 12:35 AM
Well crud. I have 12,000 gp but I need 13,000 gp. That's okay though, I'll do what most would do in my position -- I'll beg for it!

Anyone here have 1,000 gp they would not mind getting rid of? I'll put it to a good use. ^_^ Please?

Paulus
2009-10-03, 12:45 AM
Well crud. I have 12,000 gp but I need 13,000 gp. That's okay though, I'll do what most would do in my position -- I'll beg for it!

Anyone here have 1,000 gp they would not mind getting rid of? I'll put it to a good use. ^_^ Please?

1)Buy a ladder
2)Separate ladder into two ten foot poles
3)Sell them
5) ???
6) PROFIT
7) Repeat
8) PROFIT

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-03, 12:46 AM
Ok, for my first item, I'm not sure what the exact name was but it was like... _______'s amazing pigment. Whatever mundane or alchemical item you drew became real. Theres 4,500 down.

Next would be a roll of parchment, basically just like a rod of rope, i'll guess 1000g at most.

From there would be some Masterwork Drawing tools. (A square, divider, ect) probably no more than another 1000g.

6500 so far.

Bag of holding -2,500.

9000 so far.

After that, I would probably just throw the last 3000 into the bag and just draw whatever I need.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-03, 01:08 AM
Well first off, I would hire some adventures to protect me. Obviously I've been turned into some kind of quest for them. Together we would have wacky adventures trying to find out why I was dumped into this world with a bunch of cash and no way to survive, whereby, I would grow to become an endearing character for them and I would slowly learn some of their arts as I stumblingly paid my and their way for a while all the while using my superior knowledge of the system to aid them on their journey, whereby somehow myself and possibly one of the adventueresses' would fall in love (maybe a druid), and my body would slowly acclimate to their world and I would be swept up in a massive adventure with them where we would do or die and they will tell stories of me and my party and finally when my time came, with my love, I would face whatever god decided it would be fun to uproot me from all I know and love and dump me helplessly into a hostile world of death, suffering, and dragons: thus and scowling, staring upon them...

say "thank you."

That...

Was amazing.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-03, 01:13 AM
Also, for all you guys that are debating water filtration and purity.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I fear that it is going to derail the topic if I let it go much longer.

So either come to a consensus soon, or just assume that the medieval world you are thrown into has water that will make you very ill, but not fatally so.

Thus, I am simplifying the equation by telling you that it is possible to acclimate to the water without spending absurd amounts of your gold.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-03, 01:20 AM
I would use the money to found a church. I would declare myself the High cleric of the great god Dee'ehm(and start taking cleric levels). I would sing the praises of Dee'ehm from the fine church I had built and make offerings of spicy cooked chicken wing, and puffed corn with cheese powder on it. I would attract adventures to my church and get myself a loyal paladin core. I would wage a holy war until all had converted to the mighty god Dee'Ehm. I would probably be able to do this in a matter of weeks as my god has absoloute power over the makeup of the universe. . . Dee'Ehm is a powerful god indeed.

Paulus
2009-10-03, 01:36 AM
I would use the money to found a church. I would declare myself the High cleric of the great god Dee'ehm(and start taking cleric levels). I would sing the praises of Dee'ehm from the fine church I had built and make offerings of spicy cooked chicken wing, and puffed corn with cheese powder on it. I would attract adventures to my church and get myself a loyal paladin core. I would wage a holy war until all had converted to the mighty god Dee'Ehm. I would probably be able to do this in a matter of weeks as my god has absoloute power over the makeup of the universe. . . Dee'Ehm is a powerful god indeed.

and lo did rocks fall and everyone dies. So it is written, so it is done. And did the great one attack the darkness, and the lands flowed with mountain dew, and the poor supped upon the doritos, and cheetos, and finger sandwhiches, and verily did thy lord saith unto the great Pee'cee, "are you sure about that?" and lo, the Pee'cee was not, and it was good.

Oslecamo
2009-10-03, 05:41 AM
1)Buy a ladder
2)Separate ladder into two ten foot poles

Excuse me, good sir, but I won't buy your broken ladder. I only buy ten foot poles wich follow the minimum standards of adventuring gear creation as dictated by the wizards of the coast council. A 10 foot pole isn't just a big piece of wood, it must be properly polished, minimum weight possible and be assured to resist at least ten set off traps before breaking.

ericgrau
2009-10-03, 11:03 AM
This again. There just aren't that many adventurers to buy all your poles either.

If I had that much gold and was not an adventurer, why not spend it on things besides magic items? Get a couple utility magic items like a ring of sustenance, but then buy a house, put some in savings, invest some in various overseas trading ventures (hey, a hook for real adventurers), etc.

Volkov
2009-10-03, 11:05 AM
I say Pazuzu three times and wish for a quadrillion times more gold. :D

Paulus
2009-10-03, 03:47 PM
Excuse me, good sir, but I won't buy your broken ladder. I only buy ten foot poles wich follow the minimum standards of adventuring gear creation as dictated by the wizards of the coast council. A 10 foot pole isn't just a big piece of wood, it must be properly polished, minimum weight possible and be assured to resist at least ten set off traps before breaking.

Broken ladder?! I'll have you know, good sir, that these are the finest ten foot pole alternatives you'll randomly encounter before any dungeon adventure! Not only are they polished, and selected for the finest quality wood as any normal ten foot pole, BUT they are also stress tested for load bearing AND come with the handy dandy extension hand holds! You see regular ten foot poles can become slippery with blood, moisture, acid, or gelatinous goo! Not so the brand new little big mighty removable insertable hand Ten Foot pole hand hold! Yes friend! just look, with this new feature simply insert the FREE OF CHARGE extra hand hold haft extension of wood into any of the several cleverly interposed sturdily reinforced holes along the haft of the pole, then you and up to five people can hold onto the pole and manipulate it's length at intervals of two feet per person! Providing better leverage, better grip, and friend yes! you are quite ingenious to notice, these new little big mighty removable insertable hand Ten Foot pole hand holds, can also serve as an emergency ladder! why carry a Ladder and a ten foot pole when you can get both from this wonderful device? You wouldn't! You can use the brand new little big mighty removable insertable hand Ten Foot pole with hand holds in both instances with a total saving equatable to buying both instead of buying just this! yes friends it's the sale of the century, why buy a bland and common ten foot pole when you can have this fine and usable alternative guaranteed!*

*not available in all areas, offer void where ultimate sphere of annihilation; seller is not liable for any damages or defaults occurred by acts of good, neutral, lawful, or evil gods, and most dungeon monsters.

ericgrau
2009-10-03, 04:19 PM
Fair enough about the water quality (though I've been able to drink water from all over Europe without getting sick).

As for medieval hydration, in Europe everyone drank beer or wine. No other substitutes were available if you wanted to live (a little longer). Of course they knew to not drink so much that they got drunk.

But you are a modern human. You know that while Europe drank alcohol, Asia drank tea instead, which meant boiling the water and thus killing a lot of the organisms in it (this preference for tea over alcoholic beverages is speculated to be part of the reason why Asian ethnic groups have less of the enzyme needed to break down ethanol and get drunk a bit faster). So all you need to do is find some herbs to make some tea (infusion, whatever) and something to boil water with and you can avoid booze, whatever you would want to do that for.

In ancient times they mixed wine or wine vinegar with their water to keep it safe. A quick google revealed that in medieval times they drank alcoholic beverages straight, but that they were so weak that they still consumed less alcohol than we do today.

taltamir
2009-10-03, 04:45 PM
You know guys... I doubt pelor or any of the good gods would let you die from overpoopage.

I bet clerics from all over run around from town to town purifying the water for all. Personally, I'd be more worried about poisons than disease or bacteria or germs. Poisons can be instantly fatal, which means no running to any temple or nothing...

heh.

only IRL.. in game poison is harmless unless it costs the equivalent of millions of dollars per single dose.

Johel
2009-10-03, 04:52 PM
In ancient times they mixed wine or wine vinegar with their water to keep it safe. A quick google revealed that in medieval times they drank alcoholic beverages straight, but that they were so weak that they still consumed less alcohol than we do today.

And here goes down the mythical drunk viking myth. :smallfrown:

As for poison, yes, it's useless IG as it is.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-03, 05:09 PM
I'd buy small barge and the services of a smithy and an alchemist for a year. Steam engines and gun powder are easy to make if you know how ;)

(Also, I'd build a small temple or shrine to Gond. I lurves Gond ^_^)

taltamir
2009-10-03, 06:37 PM
i misread it "and service a smithy and an alchemist for a year" on my first attempt... boy was that Freudian...

Dr_Emperor
2009-10-03, 07:06 PM
Also, for all you guys that are debating water filtration and purity.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I fear that it is going to derail the topic if I let it go much longer.

I'm sorry for starting a fight that killed thousands of catgirls. Real life science applied to D&D kills the catgirls right?

On topic again
I think I'd pay to find out my alignment, since in most/some worlds alignment is a concrete thing I think it would be good to know which people I should be palling around with. It seems like a logical thing

poor poor catgirls

taltamir
2009-10-03, 07:18 PM
also find out your attributes... (they have to know there are 6 attributes or they wouldn't make magic items and spells to boost them specifically)

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-03, 08:10 PM
and lo did rocks fall and everyone dies. So it is written, so it is done. And did the great one attack the darkness, and the lands flowed with mountain dew, and the poor supped upon the doritos, and cheetos, and finger sandwhiches, and verily did thy lord saith unto the great Pee'cee, "are you sure about that?" and lo, the Pee'cee was not, and it was good.

lol precisely. . .

Stix
2009-10-04, 12:33 AM
what so am i just going to forget about being an eagle scout with 6 years of judo? well so much for being ready when the time shift comes.

otherwise 3 options

-1-

ring of sustenance (cliche by now, but a good idea)
bastard sword +2
half plate +2
belt of healing
basic adventuring gear
hire a group of about 6 mercenaries for a few weeks to be my party (pull me out of sticky situations, but otherwise let me do the work, they'll love this)

take a few low level quests til i get a few levels under my belt then get rid of the mercs and go to the nearest in and wait for a bunch of strangers to meet each other in a barfight and tag along (voila party)

-2-

-Hat of disguise
-some item that gives me an awesome bluff
-other items that help make me seem like a deposed noble
-ask around and find out about a weak noble house with few connections
-find a low level party and ask them to "help me reassume my rightful place"
-claim to be the eldest son of the head whom the elder son thought he killed
-heroes accompany me on quest to take back the manor and holdings
-i gain levels doing this (probably rogue or bard)
-say farewell to the heroes (pay them well)
-i now have a noble house complete with holdings and fortune, a few character levels, and if necessary a adventuring party as friends.

-3-

-buy most op simple weapon i can buy with 12,000gp
-kill this miraculously well stocked merchant
-set up shop
-?????????
-profit

taltamir
2009-10-04, 12:39 AM
i just realized something... why would you be drinking medieval water if you have a ring of sustenance? it completely takes care of all food AND drink needs...

Kosjsjach
2009-10-04, 12:48 AM
i just realized something... why would you be drinking medieval water if you have a ring of sustenance? it completely takes care of all food AND drink needs...

Heh, you realized it too? I wasn't gonna say anything, though in hindsight maybe I should have a while back. :smalltongue:

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-04, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry for starting a fight that killed thousands of catgirls. Real life science applied to D&D kills the catgirls right?
poor poor catgirls

Uh, I am new to this forum, so I have no idea what you mean by that.

Temporary Derail: What does that mean?

Non-Derailed Post: Anyone thought of commissioning a wizard guild to make a magic item for you? There is a whole section in the DM Guide about Magic Item Creation.

Should prove interesting when you can customize the items.

Paulus
2009-10-04, 11:05 AM
Uh, I am new to this forum, so I have no idea what you mean by that.

Temporary Derail: What does that mean?

Non-Derailed Post: Anyone thought of commissioning a wizard guild to make a magic item for you? There is a whole section in the DM Guide about Magic Item Creation.

Should prove interesting when you can customize the items.

Old forum Meme(well known joke), "Every-time you try to bring real life logic/physics/science into a game/fantasy/D&D discussion, God kills a cat girl. Please, think of the catgirls." or some such.

Also, Magic item wise... well aside from your basic survival, and if I were to live long enough to actually be pretty good on my own, I'd definitely get some magical clothing. Especially in the form or Constant enduring Elements and Amulet of Adaptation... sort of like this item I am making.

Hakama of Enduring Adaptation (14,000 gp)
This pair of exotic looking dark blue soft cotton/silk blend pants has no belt loops or pocket, instead five pleats run the full length of the pant legs, five in front, two in the back; it extends from the wearer’s waist and opens wide at the bottom around the ankles. The magic of the pants protects the wearer in hot or cold environments. It can exist comfortably in conditions between –50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit (without having to make Fortitude saves). The wearer’s equipment is likewise protected. They also wrap the wearer in a shell of fresh air, making him immune to all harmful vapors and gases (such as cloudkill and stinking cloud effects, as well as inhaled poisons) and allowing him to breathe, even underwater or in a vacuum.

ericgrau
2009-10-04, 04:15 PM
The DMG does it anyway. And there's a benefit to doing so, at least enough to interact coherently with NPCs, cities, etc.

imp_fireball
2009-10-04, 05:37 PM
I'd probably try to find immunity disease and get a permanency affect in there, because disease and infection sucks in the middle ages.

Oh, and I'd live the life of a fat lord in a manor... better than anything the modern world offered me. :smallamused:

That said, if real life was D&D, then D&D would be a lot more interesting then anything any GM has offered thus far... because c'mon, it's real life!

heh.

This conflicts with the fact that information didn't spread very quickly in the middle ages. How would a cleric of pelor know the location of every town?

Also, exactly how rare are owl bears and dragons, because if they are quite common and happen to hate humans then it's a surprise... y'know.

And orcs are pretty dangerous for commoners too, don't forget. :smallamused:

Otherwise wouldn't one of the numerous insanely intelligent creature's have stumbled across the idea of a steam engine in their centuries of life.

They would... and then they'd realize that magic is more efficient. That is, of course if magic is common and if not... hence the alternative setting. It'd be interesting to see *Insert creature with drastic int modifier here* discover FTL after only say, 100 years of industrialization. :smalltongue:

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-04, 06:03 PM
Hakama of Enduring Adaptation...So, hot-pants?

Paulus
2009-10-04, 06:10 PM
This conflicts with the fact that information didn't spread very quickly in the middle ages. How would a cleric of pelor know the location of every town?

...uh Pelor tells 'em?

Also, exactly how rare are owl bears and dragons, because if they are quite common and happen to hate humans then it's a surprise... y'know.

Pretty common I'd think. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much need for adventures would there?

And orcs are pretty dangerous for commoners too, don't forget. :smallamused:

I'd say other humans would be more dangerous honestly, far more common to.

...So, hot-pants?

...and cold-pants,
and warm-pants,
and dry-pants,
and survive-in-any-oxygen-deprived-location-including-SPACE-pants.

Volkov
2009-10-04, 07:29 PM
I'd become a merchant, making a nice profit and becoming really rich. Then I'll go to wizard school, then become a lich and live forever.