PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Low ECL 4+ armed humanoids?

DragoonWraith
2009-10-01, 01:51 AM
Does anyone know of any race that has 4 or more arms, a low-ish ECL, and is relatively human (i.e. not Thri-Kreen)? Preferably 0 HD and LA 3 or less. I'm kind of guessing it doesn't exist and if it does it probably shouldn't, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

BooNL
2009-10-01, 02:31 AM
I believe there's another bug-like race around though I can't check my books for you right now. I think they're one of the books related to Dragons (maybe Dracomonicon, Races of or Dragon Magic).

Though because they're relatively unknown, I'd say Thri-kreen are your best bet, or else other races would've been used more often. You could always use non-psionic Thri-kreen, that knocks down an LA and some RHD (I believe).

DragoonWraith
2009-10-01, 04:29 AM
Ah, thanks, but I really want to create a Vishnu-like character, so looking bug-like doesn't help.

Like I said, it probably doesn't exist and would probably be overpowered if it did. Thanks, though.

JellyPooga
2009-10-01, 04:33 AM
The only other ones I can think of are the Insectoid template (Savage Species) and Arrow Demons (one of the MMs). The former is out 'cos it's, well, insectoid and the latter is a frickin' demon! That and I don't think it has a listed LA.

Grumman
2009-10-01, 04:39 AM
I believe there's another bug-like race around though I can't check my books for you right now. I think they're one of the books related to Dragons (maybe Dracomonicon, Races of or Dragon Magic).
I assume you're thinking of the bug-thing from the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Cieyrin
2009-10-01, 11:48 AM
I assume you're thinking of the bug-thing from the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Yes, the Diopsid. Fun, fun, indeed.:smallbiggrin:

Xill (MM 259) are another possibility but they 5 RHD and LA +4, so not what you're looking for.

Though because they're relatively unknown, I'd say Thri-kreen are your best bet, or else other races would've been used more often. You could always use non-psionic Thri-kreen, that knocks down an LA and some RHD (I believe).

Non-psionic Thri-kreen still have the 2 RHD but only LA +1.

EDIT: Oh! Sahuagin are 2 HD and some mutations have 4 arms for LA +3! Unfortunately, they're not amphibious. (Actually, fortunately. Don't want Sahuagin coming inland and invading my sea-side towns. 0_0)

Talya
2009-10-01, 11:53 AM
There's a mongoose publishing book that has one. When I'm back at my PC I'll try to find it.

(I did a search for a human-like four-armed race for similar reasons before. All these monstrous types people are suggesting don't work, and WotC's D&D simply doesn't have a 4 armed but otherwise human race.)

Cieyrin
2009-10-01, 12:04 PM
There's a mongoose publishing book that has one. When I'm back at my PC I'll try to find it.

(I did a search for a human-like four-armed race for similar reasons before. All these monstrous types people are suggesting don't work, and WotC's D&D simply doesn't have a 4 armed but otherwise human race.)

Well, I suppose following the Sahuagin example, 4 arms seems to be LA +1, so just giving a normal humanoid the trait should result in such, though that falls under the purview of homebrew at this point.

EDIT: Actually, I found a solution: The Dolgrim from Eberron. Basically 2 goblins merged for 4 arms and LA +2. Straight out of the ECS.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-01, 01:03 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting has the Dolgrim ... although it's pretty alien (a mutated goblin).

Bagelz
2009-10-01, 01:29 PM
theres a girillon thats unplayabe as a pc due to an int of 2 (and a bunch of HD). and a few demons/devils/yugoloths, yuanti abominations (+7 LA) and various insectoids. No humanoids with extra arms.

I'd would politely ask your gm if he'd let you apply on of the insectoid templates (like thri kreen) but have him look humanoid istead. or go buy an extremely expensive version of polymorph.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 01:41 PM
A 2 level dip into Totemist gets you the Girallon Arms Totem Bind, which gives you 4 arms.

Darrin
2009-10-01, 04:15 PM
A 2 level dip into Totemist gets you the Girallon Arms Totem Bind, which gives you 4 arms.

It gives you four claw attacks. However, the non-fluff text is infuriatingly vague on whether it gives you fully-functioning arms and/or hands. But I'm not sure I've ever run into anyone who ever insisted they were non-functional.

Myrmex
2009-10-01, 04:30 PM
Blessing of Girallon from SpC gives you another pair of arms, too.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-01, 05:44 PM
Blessing of Girallon from SpC gives you another pair of arms, too.
You mean Girallon's Blessing. Anyway, these explicitly have opposable thumbs and can hold weapons (since they mention that you can't use them for both weapon and claw attacks in the same round).

Elfin
2009-10-01, 06:19 PM
I'd recommend a Dolgrim from Ebberon; they're in the ECS.

SoD
2009-10-01, 07:09 PM
Chitine, from Underdark boook. They have four arms, are small sized spider dudes, get a bonus to int, dex, con and a penalty to cha (IIRC). Two racial HD, and +2 LA.

They're what you get if you cross a halfling with Spiderman, with something horribly horribly wrong.