PDA

View Full Version : [4e] I want to be a Dwarven Ranger...

Burley
2009-10-01, 06:26 AM
And, put the life of Orcus in danger!

Starting up a one shot, 11th level. I want to just deal ridiculous amounts of damage. I'm thinking about a TWF-Ranger, with Craghammers.
If you've got something better, let me know! I have the character builder at my disposal. Assume all basic rules.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-01, 06:42 AM
Yeah, that works. Dwarf is one of the better classes for a ranger, probably. Wield two hammers, grab hammer rhythm, consider taking an animal companion for free flanking all the time, and take all the damage-boosting gear you can find. It's probably the easiest class to play in 4E, you just run at things and bash them.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-01, 06:52 AM
dwarven rangers are fun as hell to play. Do not forget dwarven weapon training for another +1 damage

Drager
2009-10-01, 07:26 AM
Stats

Str 17 (+3) = 20
Con17 (+3) = 20
Dex 11 (+1) = 12
Int 8 (+1) = 9
Wis 13 (+1) =14
Cha 10 (+1) = 11

Feats

Lvl 1 Dwarven Weapon Training
Lvl 2 Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
Lvl 4 Lethal Hunter
Lvl 6 Two Weapon Fighting
Lvl 8 Two Weapon Defence
Lvl 10 Toughness
Lvl 11 Hammer Rhythm

Weapons
+3 Bloodclaw Craghammer
+3 Challenge Seeking Craghammer

Armor
+2 Lifeblood Hide

Other stuff
A +2 neck slot item, some potions, a friendly healer.

OK you are looking at dealing a rather large amount of damage with this, here's a look at you're DPR:

33.9 DPR standard
38.6 DPR if monster has full health.

Working:

Monster AC @ lvl 11 = ~24
You're to hit = +5 (Half Level) +2 (Proficiency) +5 (Strength) +3 (Magic) +1 (Experitse) = +16

23-16=7 Therefore you have a 35% miss chance.

Average damage with twin strike
Bloodclaw = 6.5 (1d12 brutal 2) + 3 (Magic) + 2 (Dwarf WT) + 6 (Bloodclaw) = 17.5
Challenge Seeking = 6.5 + 3 + 2 + 7(If target at max hp)+1(TWF)= 12.5 or 19.5

Crit Damage w/ Twin Strike
Blood Claw = 12+3+2+6+10.5(Magic weapon crit)=33.5
Challenge Seeking = 12+3+2+6+12(MHp)+1 = 24 or 36

DPR With Twin Strike
0.6*17.5+0.6*12.5+0.05*33.5+0.05*24+0.35*5+0.35*5+ (1-(0.35^2))*9+(1-(0.95^2)*16) = 33.9 DPR standard

0.6*17.5+0.6*19.5+0.05*33.5+0.05*36+0.35*5+0.35*5 +(1-(0.35^2))*9+(1-(0.95^2)*16)= 38.6 DPR Against Full Health

incubus5075
2009-10-01, 08:12 AM
Anyone else notice that the beast master class is really jacked? As written the onlt beast worth getting is a bear. Alot of the cool ones (like raptor for my archer was what i was planning) have high Dex but low as heck STR. All of the ranger powers say 2[B] + STR or its like. As in ALL the powers really on a strong beast, So if you command your (bird/cat/spider/any other non STR based beast) to do anything other than a melee basic you are missing out on pluses to hit and damage....should i propose a house rule that the beast uses the same stat it uses for a melee basic?

Kurald Galain
2009-10-01, 08:17 AM
Anyone else notice that the beast master class is really jacked?
The problem is actually that beastmaster rangers in general are "jacked". The most effective way to play a beastmaster is to not take any "beast" powers, and just use your animal for an easy free flank (thus a +2 to hit) all the time, while you attack with your actual character.

(or, if you're an archer ranger, you can take the beast instead of the sucky free feat archers get as a class feature, which has the only downside of disallowing some paragon paths; again, you don't use the beast except to quarry, to block stuff and perhaps soak some attacks; make all your attacks with the main character).

Beastmasters are fun but not well thought-out.

Burley
2009-10-01, 08:36 AM
My plan is to multiclass into Warlord (via phb feat) and take the Platinum Warlord paragon path.
While I really, really want a craghammer in each hand, it'd probably be most prudent in my group (who favors melee) to wield a craghammer and a throwing hammer. I can still dual-wield with decent damage, and I have the option of making ranged attacks.
Question: Are there any feats or weapon enhancements that add the thrown property to a melee weapon? Reliably, I mean. Not just Dwarven Throwers, or whatever, though, I'll probably get those, too.

ShaggyMarco
2009-10-01, 08:42 AM
You might also consider keeping your Wisdom crazy and multi-classing Fighter for the Pit Fighter PP.

At level 16, your damage will start approaching the levels of crazy you crave.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-01, 08:45 AM
The problem is actually that beastmaster rangers in general are "jacked". The most effective way to play a beastmaster is to not take any "beast" powers, and just use your animal for an easy free flank (thus a +2 to hit) all the time, while you attack with your actual character.

(or, if you're an archer ranger, you can take the beast instead of the sucky free feat archers get as a class feature, which has the only downside of disallowing some paragon paths; again, you don't use the beast except to quarry, to block stuff and perhaps soak some attacks; make all your attacks with the main character).

Beastmasters are fun but not well thought-out.

my group did see that. We just did a little tweek so the best stat of the animal gets used.

incubus5075
2009-10-01, 09:29 AM
Only prob is that my group uses the DnDI to make our characters AND to solve any character disputes. Pretty muc if the builder doesn't allow it, we don't use it. We try to play as vanilla as possible (as in no house rules) so that the game is fair to everyone, this works out alot better for us. Only thing is in some cases like the Beastmaster ranger, you end up getting screwed

Jayabalard
2009-10-01, 09:34 AM
We try to play as vanilla as possible (as in no house rules) so that the game is fair to everyone, I don't really understand this... having house rules does not make that the game any less fair than using the RAW.

tcrudisi
2009-10-01, 09:52 AM
Using the logic that Dwarves are already tough enough, I slightly disagree with Drager. Instead of Toughness, I would take Predatory Action. I would also consider dropping TWD for Improved Init (a feat I do not normally like), since at level 5 you have access to Spitting Cobra Stance. Take it and love it -- it's one of those "omg good" powers in the game.

Muyten
2009-10-01, 10:13 AM
I don't really understand this... having house rules does not make that the game any less fair than using the RAW.

Well not always but it depends on the group. House rules in most of the groups I've played tend to be less thought out than RAW and often cause balance issues but I agree that this is not inherent in all house rules.

Burley
2009-10-01, 11:13 AM
I would also consider dropping TWD for Improved Init (a feat I do not normally like), since at level 5 you have access to Spitting Cobra Stance. Take it and love it -- it's one of those "omg good" powers in the game.

I'm not taking Imp. Initiative, because I'll probably be taking Quick Draw (which gives a +2 to initiative anyways). I don't want to waste my minor actions drawing/swapping weapons to switch between awesome damage and ranged damage. I'll be taking Quick Draw and buy a Paired Craghammer. What what!

pasko77
2009-10-01, 11:16 AM
I don't really understand this... having house rules does not make that the game any less fair than using the RAW.

Yes it does. The author of said rules is necessarily biased towards a personal viewpoint of WHAT is balance... they may be wrong and inbalance the game further without even noticing.

Yakk
2009-10-01, 05:08 PM
If you go beastmaster, use an Urgosh as your weapon.

I've also seen a reasonably effective Ranger | Fighter hybrid that uses a pair of throwing hammers and tempest technique. It was Orc based (+str +dex) instead of dwarven (+con +wis).

You get your con high enough for the hammer feats with 'passive' ups, and up your dex and str as you gain levels. Because throwing hammers are both a melee and a ranged weapon, you can use any of your Ranger powers. Tempest technique gives you a +1 to hit and +2 to damage on them (and more for feats) to make up for the small [W] value on them.

Ah, here it is (the orc handaxe version)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6583820&postcount=38
I think you could rework it to function as a throwing-hammer wielding dwarf. :)