Issabella
2009-10-01, 07:20 AM
Belk is worse when he is helping!

Atelm
2009-10-01, 07:21 AM
"Date-bearing bitch", made my day. Thank you, Giant. :smallbiggrin:

Clovis
2009-10-01, 07:23 AM
Wow, Belkar sure is a devious b*stard! Who says INT is his dump stat? :smallsmile:

Loved the title as well! Except that I can't erase the image of a tobacco-chewing dwarf letting a wad fly through all that facial hair... Yuuchh!

Katana_Geldar
I totally thought Durkon was going to do a Looney Tunes and flick right over to where Roy was.

:smallbiggrin:

Edhelras
A little slap-stick intermezzo, it's nice to help calm emotions after the high drama of V's quest for ultimate power!
Kind of reminiscent of the earliest strips, something I in fact like pretty well.

King of Nowhere
2009-10-01, 07:25 AM
I wonder how Belkar knew the hammer was going to fall on Durkon's head... :smalleek:

Crod
2009-10-01, 07:25 AM
Haha! That was great. You have to love Belkar. Still the same mean little bugger.

Moglorosh
2009-10-01, 07:26 AM
Durkon losing a fight with a tree... Priceless.

MikelaC
2009-10-01, 07:26 AM
Still more proof why Belkar rules...

Archaicwonder
2009-10-01, 07:27 AM
Thank you sir for starting out my day with a perfect laugh!

Deme
2009-10-01, 07:28 AM
Belkar, we love your helping, too. Just an excellent strip all around.

Edhelras
2009-10-01, 07:29 AM
I wonder how Belkar knew the hammer was going to fall on Durkon's head... :smalleek:

Halflings get access to the "Improved Ballistics" feat :smallamused:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-10-01, 07:30 AM

Ah yes! Belkar, even "Nice and Helpful" Belkar is still Belkar!

And I wouldn't have it any other way!

PCofDoom
2009-10-01, 07:32 AM
Camels in OotS! :O Hm, no stick legs!

Just love the way Belkar is smiling in that before-last panel.

HandofShadows
2009-10-01, 07:32 AM
Times like this you have to wonder who is going to kill Belker. The bad guys or one of the members of OotS.

Razaele
2009-10-01, 07:33 AM
Durkon using the B word totally shocked me. :smalleek:

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-01, 07:33 AM
Good to know that New And Improved Belkar hasn't improved too much. :smalltongue:

Dinocarl
2009-10-01, 07:34 AM
Mr Scruffy always makes me laugh, I wonder how he speaks common so well? Or does Belkar have some sort of animal empathy?

Oh, and hi folks, long time reader and lurker, first post. :smallsmile:

Expeditious
2009-10-01, 07:35 AM
Poor Durkon. To lose a fight to a freaking palm tree...:smallbiggrin:

Belkar's even more awesome than I thought possible, though.

ZerglingOne
2009-10-01, 07:36 AM
The last panel had me lmao. Priceless Giant, priceless.

Jagos
2009-10-01, 07:37 AM
I lolled...

Belkar was too smooth on that one.

Belkster11
2009-10-01, 07:37 AM
heheh, funny comic. XD

Slapstick comedy with Belkar making both Roy and Elan happy (from his POV, of course). XD

TengYt
2009-10-01, 07:39 AM
Belkar is so helpful :smallsmile:

Vizen
2009-10-01, 07:42 AM
I thought the girl in the first panel was topless for a second. Then I realized that the shirt is the same-ish colour as her skin. :smalleek:

Iferus
2009-10-01, 07:45 AM
I love it! :D
Belkar has never been to this level of Evil before :D

Swashbuckler
2009-10-01, 07:46 AM
Three!

THREE separate Laugh-Out-Loud moments on this page!!

Awesome, Giant! :smallbiggrin:

esmerelder
2009-10-01, 07:46 AM
Oh, Belkar. Don't ever change - or at least, not too much...

Trixie
2009-10-01, 07:49 AM
New, improved Belkster and Durkon getting his just desserts, all in one :smallbiggrin:

Marvelous.

Selene
2009-10-01, 07:49 AM
He does look like he's about to spit.

I totally thought Durkon was going to do a Looney Tunes and flick right over to where Roy was.

So did I! LOL.

sentaku
2009-10-01, 07:51 AM
So Belkar is a helper that is evil in a party that the rest of the members are good. (or neutral). Fighter from 8-bit is a helper that is "good" in a party that the rest of the members are evil. So I'm curious what trope is this?

Tundar
2009-10-01, 07:52 AM
Good one, bwa hahahaha.

Not sure if I want a helping Belkar or not. He's rather dangerous when he helps.

Magesmiley
2009-10-01, 07:53 AM
Sooo... Belkar has made Mr. Scruffy his animal companion. Can't wait to see what he does with his other ranger class abilities.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-01, 07:56 AM
FTR, date palms don't look like that. But who cares, really.

Tykopulus
2009-10-01, 07:56 AM
*gg* i love the last panel ^^

"I love helping people" - Belkar u are our best ^^

dish
2009-10-01, 07:57 AM
It is good to see Mr Scruffy getting more screen time. I'm sure he still has important tasks to perform (just like Blackwing). Also, poor Durkon - he had nearly defeated the tree.

pendell
2009-10-01, 08:00 AM
*Spits drink over the monitor*

That Belkar, as stone cold as he is funny.

GREAT strip! It's nice to see the order back in form!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

LuisDantas
2009-10-01, 08:15 AM
Funny strip.

And it shows that Belkar is not big on pretending, too. Apparently he is shifting into something of a King's Fool role. For him that is quite the improvement, all pretenses aside.

Hannibal
2009-10-01, 08:17 AM
I found the whole strip to be trying too hard. A rare miss for the great Rich Burlew.

The Tygre
2009-10-01, 08:18 AM
I love how the new Belkar is just the old Belkar re-packaged. It warms the cockles of my psycho heart.

Ashen Lilies
2009-10-01, 08:20 AM
FTR, date palms don't look like that. But who cares, really.

You are assuming that Durkon is able to tell one type of palm from the other. :smalltongue:

Awesome comic. New Belkar = Comic Goodness.

Eldhrin
2009-10-01, 08:25 AM
One thing that's never quite sat right with me with Durkon and trees - if he hates trees so much, why does he primarily fight with a hammer? Surely, when it comes to tree-fighting, an axe would be more effective? Or a wand of fireballs?

Very impressed by the Belkar/Mr Scruffy team though. I wish my cat was that helpful.

Random832
2009-10-01, 08:25 AM
What does "on either count" mean?

Mr Scruffy always makes me laugh, I wonder how he speaks common so well? Or does Belkar have some sort of animal empathy?

Oh, and hi folks, long time reader and lurker, first post. :smallsmile:

It is widely believed that Mr Scruffy is Belkar's animal companion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/Classes/ranger.htm#animalCompanion).

Dark Faun
2009-10-01, 08:29 AM
He means he pleased both of Roy and Elan's requests.

Nice comic! :smalltongue:

Ash_Gazn
2009-10-01, 08:30 AM
if he hates trees so much, why does he primarily fight with a hammer? Surely, when it comes to tree-fighting, an axe would be more effective? Or a wand of fireballs?

Well, in earlier versions of D&D, a Cleric could only use a bludgeoning weapon. If Haley's dad was a First Edition Thief, given the age disparity between Haley and Durkon, it's not unreasonable to believe that he started as a first edition cleric who has been upgraded and adapted over time, but preserved his hammer as weapon of choice.

AddizAbeba
2009-10-01, 08:33 AM
Yay! Great comic! :belkar: rulez

titan_monarch
2009-10-01, 08:34 AM
I found the whole strip to be trying too hard. A rare miss for the great Rich Burlew.

Really? I thought it was one of the least forced and funniest punchlines in a long time. Plus we get to see Durkon fighting trees again, and Belkar being awesome as always - what's not to love? Excellent strip. :)

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-01, 08:34 AM
Who doesn't love new and improved Belkar?

Berserk Monk
2009-10-01, 08:35 AM
Yay Belkar!!!!

Random832
2009-10-01, 08:40 AM
He means he pleased both of Roy and Elan's requests

No, that doesn't make sense in that panel, but I figured it out: It was "Not exactly, on either count." i.e. he is not good nor did he come to lend aid. I misread it before as "on either count, Jump down", so I was confused.

Well, in earlier versions of D&D, a Cleric could only use a bludgeoning weapon. If Haley's dad was a First Edition Thief, given the age disparity between Haley and Durkon, it's not unreasonable to believe that he started as a first edition cleric who has been upgraded and adapted over time, but preserved his hammer as weapon of choice.

This also explains the apparently alignment contradiction between LG Durkon and maybe-CG Thor: Legends and Lore (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/LegendsAndLore.rtf) Statistics: AL cg; WAL any good; AoC thunder, weather, sky, crops; SY hammer.

chiasaur11
2009-10-01, 08:41 AM
Thus we learn a valuable lesson:

When you fight trees, you fight alone.

Pronounceable
2009-10-01, 08:50 AM
Even more proof the Sexy Shoeless God of War can't be replaced. Not that it needed proof...

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-10-01, 08:53 AM
This scene really makes me wonder if Belkar was just messing with Roy about the sextant and cartographer after all .... :smallbiggrin:

Skios
2009-10-01, 09:05 AM
Well, that was certainly... helpful. I wish I could have that much control over my cat though.

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 09:09 AM
This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns "turns over a new leaf" and embraces recycling on a wholesale basis.

"You're evil! And when you try to do good, you're even more evil!"

Belkar's method of "helping" made me think of this.

Jack Zander
2009-10-01, 09:09 AM
New Belkar is win.

Silverraptor
2009-10-01, 09:12 AM
Yay! Belkar to the rescue!:smallbiggrin:

Scarlet Knight
2009-10-01, 09:13 AM

1)That was not LG language, Mister Dwarf!

2) If you fight trees with a hammer , you will lose.

Acero
2009-10-01, 09:14 AM
that is one of the funniest strips in quite a while. but how could
30lb Belkar pull it that much. IS Mr. Scruffy that fat?

shouldn't D have a backup dwarvern ax

Elthanir
2009-10-01, 09:26 AM
This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns "turns over a new leaf" and embraces recycling on a wholesale basis.

"You're evil! And when you try to do good, you're even more evil!"

Belkar's method of "helping" made me think of this.

Reminds me more of Red vs Blue: Reconstruction (http://rvb.roosterteeth.com) (Chapter 6); Church charges out to take on the Meta, and Wash tells Caboose to cover him. Church's response?
"No! Don't let Caboose help me!"
This is a sure way to get yourself shot at. :smallwink:

Great strip, Rich. Belkar's as malevolently brilliant as ever...

Winterwind
2009-10-01, 09:28 AM
Okay, I never cared much for Belkar, but this was awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, I think I should reevaluate my opinion about Belkar. Ever since his epiphany, he suits my sense of humour much better. :smallcool:

jafar
2009-10-01, 09:30 AM
That was *hilarious*! "Everyone is happy"...indeed!:smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2009-10-01, 09:38 AM
This comic is quite comical, like several others. Elan has also supported the misconception that camels carry water instead of fat.

Tobrian
2009-10-01, 09:39 AM
What, the female dog?
Obviously Durkon dislikes trees and canidae. :smallwink:
Or dwarves like alliterative curses.

This comic is quite comical, like several others. Elan has also supported the misconception that camels carry water instead of fat.

Well they store fat reserves in their humps, and water in one of their stomachs. Some desert tribes know how to force a camel to regurgitate the water. But yes, no tap on the side. Thanks for that lovely image, Roy.

RecklessFable
2009-10-01, 09:49 AM
Awesome update.

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-01, 09:52 AM
Durkon's WIS score seems to drop about 15 points when a tree is around.

TheBibliophile
2009-10-01, 09:58 AM
That was hilarious!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

warmachine
2009-10-01, 10:02 AM
Belkar: even he's trying to be good, he's still evil.

DeepChild
2009-10-01, 10:03 AM
Bravo Giant! "Date bearing bitch"...lol

Omergideon
2009-10-01, 10:05 AM
Not my favourite comic.

In fact whilst the 2 with V were quite funny IMO the last couple have been lacking somewhat. Granted Belkar's attitude is humourus and the tone is pleasently light hearted but the jokes just didn't appeal to me as a whole. I have never especially enjoyed the "Durkon vs Trees" running gag. It just seems to be too dependent on a character being stupid, which is not my favourite sort of joke. Better than the previous strip though (which was haley centric, and she is not my favourite character by any stretch)

So my review would be amusing, but not hilarious. The jokes certainly do not fall totally flat but they seem too one note to be truly funny. It is enough to entertain and satisfy but not a comic I would re-read purely out of choice.

Zanaril
2009-10-01, 10:06 AM
What, the female dog?
Obviously Durkon dislikes trees and canidae. :smallwink:
Or dwarves like alliterative curses.
It's odd how Durkon is the one who uses the worst language. I mean, anyone remember 'leafy wankers'? V can be pretty crude at times too, but is more eloquent.

SatyreIkon
2009-10-01, 10:12 AM
*sigh* Belkar... still our cheeky wittle loveable homicidal rascal :smallsmile:

ThePhantasm
2009-10-01, 10:22 AM
This is why Belkar SHOULD NOT die. He is hilarious. I'm going to miss him really bad if he ceases to have a role in the comic, as it is he, not O-Chul, who is the most bad***, both battle-wise and humor-wise.

Big Hungry Joe
2009-10-01, 10:41 AM
Well, Durkon did just get whupped by that tree, so perhaps his phobia isn't misplaced after all. It's not paranoia if they really are after you.

I'm just impressed he managed to climb it in that armor. Ring of jumping?

Draz74
2009-10-01, 10:46 AM
Yeah ...

There were several things (two main ones I'll complain about here) that just didn't make much sense. I know, I know, I'm overthinking it. But I can't help it.

how could 30lb Belkar pull it that much. IS Mr. Scruffy that fat?
How could Mr. Scruffy be big and fat? He's drawn so little. Between them, they've got to weigh, what, 50 lbs. tops? And Durkon in his armor has to weigh, what, at least 250? And yet the halfling and the cat jumping off the tree were enough of a change in the tree's tension to send Durkon flying? I'm sorry, high-level adventurers need to have better Reflex saves than that.

But the other issue made even less sense: by the time Durkon gets back to the rest of the party, he still has a shiner and a goose egg. Are you a friggin' high-level Cleric, or aren't you? Why on earth would he not have patched himself up with a CMW by this time?

"Not exactly here to help, and not exactly 'good man.'" It's Belkar admitting out loud to a teammate (though subtly) that his non-Evil act is just an act.

fractal
2009-10-01, 10:47 AM
Durkon fights with a hammer because that's Thor's favored weapon.

For those who object to Durkon's hatred of trees, think about it this way: his "player" has only a short list of traits to rp; one of them is hating trees. It's just a case of over-acting; not at all uncommon at the D&D table, and annoying though it can be, it's better than the usual alternative of having no personality at all.

fractal
2009-10-01, 10:56 AM
"Not exactly here to help, and not exactly 'good man.'" It's Belkar admitting out loud to a teammate (though subtly) that his non-Evil act is just an act.
I don' think it's a non-Evil act. Belkar isn't claiming not to be evil. He is claiming to be a team player who follows the "rules", and so far he's done exactly that. Bringing Durkon back supported the stated goals of the party, even if he did annoy them in the process.

Belkar gets away with this the same way that Haley gets away with looting a room and then claiming that it was empty when she got there. It's in character, it's funny, and it doesn't "really" cause harm.

archon_huskie
2009-10-01, 11:03 AM
Belkar is not a good man (he's a halfling) and he's not there to help Durokan (He''s helping Roy and Elan)

So not quite on either account.

The confusion is that he is talking to Durokan in the first half of his line, and to the cat in the second.

The MunchKING
2009-10-01, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry, high-level adventurers need to have better Reflex saves than that.

He's a Cleric. In Full Plate.

Yeah I totally buy his Reflex saves would suck.

But the other issue made even less sense: by the time Durkon gets back to the rest of the party, he still has a shiner and a goose egg. Are you a friggin' high-level Cleric, or aren't you? Why on earth would he not have patched himself up with a CMW by this time?

Too stuborn to admit he needed to, (not to mention it's probably a Light would at best).

Alex Warlorn
2009-10-01, 11:06 AM
That settles that, Mr. Scruffy IS Belkar's animal companion. Why? Because cats according to stereo types are among the most selfish and self centered creatures in mundane creation: and yet Mr. Scruffy obeyed Belkar's orders not once, but TWICE, "Jump up" "Jump Down" simple precise commands an animal companion could obey. And Mr. Scruffy follows Belkar exclusively now. Given Belkar's obliviousness of his own class features, it wouldn't surprise me if he did make Mr. Scuffy his animal companion without realizing it, and didn't even know Ranger DID have animal companions.

Bckstabber
2009-10-01, 11:06 AM
It's just a case of over-acting; not at all uncommon at the D&D table, and annoying though it can be, it's better than the usual alternative of having no personality at all.

So very true. I played a Giant with an overwhelming hatered for Fire, in The Worlds Largest Dungeon! It took a short time to get around the issue, but it's still a blast to play when people forget! LOL

Iranon
2009-10-01, 11:07 AM
It's odd how Durkon is the one who uses the worst language. I mean, anyone remember 'leafy wankers'? V can be pretty crude at times too, but is more eloquent.

That's one thing I like about OotS... attention to little details. Their speech habits are consistent and believable, without being what we'd expect given the character archetypes.

Elan keeps it mostly clean (despite calling his twin brother a bastard). Durkon and V use strong language to make a point... Durkon for emphasis, Vaarsuvius for colourful metaphors. Neither seems likely to call out an expletive in the heat of the moment... pretty much the opposite to Haley.

Have we ever heard Roy and Belkar swear? While Belkar mentions whores almost continuously, he doesn't use the term as an expletive. Roy seems to bluntly insult people rather than swearing at them.

Incidentally, am I the only one who immediately thought 'The Crack Pairing gang will have a field day with the title...' ?

Zanaril
2009-10-01, 11:16 AM
Incidentally, am I the only one who immediately thought 'The Crack Pairing gang will have a field day with the title...' ? I think you are.

Killer Angel
2009-10-01, 11:18 AM
Belkar, you're a genius! :smallbiggrin:
And seriously... "I love helping people"? Your fake development is fantastic. :smalltongue:

Blaznak
2009-10-01, 11:24 AM
Really funny! I thought the punch line was a bit Craig Ferguson-esque, but that's ok. Enjoyable stuff!

The_Weirdo
2009-10-01, 11:31 AM
This time? Durkon deserved it.

delguidance
2009-10-01, 11:45 AM
As was said before...

Those camels are not stick camels. They are freakish and weird. The first thing I thought looking at this was, "What are those things coming out of their bodies?"

This needs to be fixed. Seriously.

It is not difficult to change them now before there are pages and pages of them with these things.

Horses have stick legs so why not camels? On the other hand the Mammoth had big mammoth legs. Still it doesn't look right to me at all.

Please please fix this.

Hacktor
2009-10-01, 11:48 AM
So nice the way the title makes sense after you read it :D

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 11:50 AM
I can live with it- the owlbear, the dragons, nothing that was on the large side had stick-limbs.

The horses, pony, and wiener dog :smallamused: did, but they were all the same size as Order members or only slightly larger.

One of the things The Giant said way back when, was that the horses were a bit tricky because any strip with them in had to be miniaturized to get everything in.

I wonder if anything has changed since then? Maybe only the upper bodies of the camels will be shown in most panels?

Larkspur
2009-10-01, 11:51 AM
Aagh! What is up with the camels' horrible bloated appendages?

And why do I feel Belkar could make a tap in a camel, if necessary?

The_Weirdo
2009-10-01, 11:54 AM

Belkar could make a tap in anything.

Trobby
2009-10-01, 12:08 PM
Two things.

1: Elan is once again showing his resourcefulness. Taking transportation into the desert would actually be an amazingly smart move here. Even if Durkon can provide you with all the water you need. If you ever happen to LOSE Durkon, you may need to rely on whatever you have at hand to survive. Not to mention that the desert actually gets VERY cold at night, and having a camel to share body warmth with would be extremely helpful. Knowing that they'll be going into a land where they are likely to be misled by illusions and separated at first chance, taking transport and a potential source of food would be a good idea.

2: When did Belkar take a level in Gene Wilder? :smallamused:
Okay, that one needs an explanation. In the original Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, the first scene of Wonka shows him walking out to the crowd holding a cane, with an exaggerated limp. Midway through the walk, his cane gets stuck in the cobblestones, and he tries to grab for the cane only to find that it's not there. He begins to fall forward, then catches himself, and tumbles spectacularly back to his feet. Gene Wilder, the man who played Wonka, specifically asked for this scene to be written in, so that after that, nobody would be able to tell if he was lying.

Now, can you tell me that Belkar knows exactly what he's doing?

Vetreon
2009-10-01, 12:09 PM

What's I'm worried about more is that he actually would make a tap in anything.

Trobby
2009-10-01, 12:20 PM

...:3 Are you suggesting that Belkar would "Tap That"? *Pelted with tomatoes* :smallfrown: I'll be good.

Krenn
2009-10-01, 12:22 PM
One thing that's never quite sat right with me with Durkon and trees - if he hates trees so much, why does he primarily fight with a hammer? Surely, when it comes to tree-fighting, an axe would be more effective? Or a wand of fireballs?

Very impressed by the Belkar/Mr Scruffy team though. I wish my cat was that helpful.

in dwarven mines, he probably uses a combination of hammer and chisel: good for stone OR timber.

i guess in the wilderness, he just keeps forgetting to carry a chisel.

Krenn
2009-10-01, 12:23 PM
This scene really makes me wonder if Belkar was just messing with Roy about the sextant and cartographer after all .... :smallbiggrin:

oh he was. He definitly was.

the_tick_rules
2009-10-01, 12:30 PM
You go Belkar!!

David Argall
2009-10-01, 12:31 PM
It's looking like our junior pickpockets were just one shots, but them popping up hidden in some supplies is not impossible.

So Belkar is a helper that is evil in a party that the rest of the members are good. (or neutral). Fighter from 8-bit is a helper that is "good" in a party that the rest of the members are evil. So I'm curious what trope is this?
I can't give you the name, but having extremely large gaps and contrasts between party members is extremely useful in creating a story. They provide hooks for anything one wants to add, conflicts within the party, and general flexibility.

There were several things (two main ones I'll complain about here) that just didn't make much sense. I know, I know, I'm overthinking it. But I can't help it.

how could 30lb Belkar pull it that much. IS Mr. Scruffy that fat?
How could Mr. Scruffy be big and fat? He's drawn so little. Between them, they've got to weigh, what, 50 lbs. tops? And Durkon in his armor has to weigh, what, at least 250? And yet the halfling and the cat jumping off the tree were enough of a change in the tree's tension to send Durkon flying? I'm sorry, high-level adventurers need to have better Reflex saves than that.

Yes, you are overthinking it. It's a joke. It's funny. We don't need to, and shouldn't, worry about the small stuff.

Durkon has a need to get back to the party since they are about to leave town. So the healing can wait until he is with the party.
And if we follow the rules closely, this seems to be all nonlethal damage, which quickly heals on its own.

Trixie
2009-10-01, 12:33 PM
Bloated? :smallconfused:

Camels do have thick legs, you know.

And I actually prefer this style on characters, too.

So, how much damage Durkon just took? :smallamused:

Mojique
2009-10-01, 12:33 PM
Impressive, the new Belkar :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 12:37 PM

these fit closest, though other terms are used as well:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TokenEvilTeammate

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TokenGoodTeammate

Elfin
2009-10-01, 12:41 PM
Quite funny. :smallbiggrin:

AvalonXQ
2009-10-01, 12:44 PM
Between them, they've got to weigh, what, 50 lbs. tops? And Durkon in his armor has to weigh, what, at least 250? And yet the halfling and the cat jumping off the tree were enough of a change in the tree's tension to send Durkon flying?

Yeah, from a real-world physics point of view, this has some issues for me as well. Assuming the tree obeys a decent approximation of Hooke's Law, we'd expect that in order to provide enough change in tension in order to cause the tree to head all the way to upright, you'd need to apply and release an amount of force equal to the weight of the top of the tree with Durkon still on it.
There are a couple of things we can do to aid the math to make this outcome more plausible. Assume that the tree is obeying Hooke's Law according to its angular displacement from the vertical, and assume that Durkon/Belkar interact as a pendulum mass, so that they exert force equal to weight*sin(angular displacement). This means that Belkar's additional weight helps more because it also increases the fraction of Durkon's weight that is considered, and when the tree swings past Durkon's equilibrium point as we expect it would, Durkon's weight counts even less.
I'm tempted to put the equations together to see what kinds of numbers we'd need, but I haven't yet.
Of course, in cartoon physics, all of this is irrelevant. The tree snaps back because that's funny.

Pip
2009-10-01, 12:51 PM
Wow, Belkar sure is a devious b*stard! Who says INT is his dump stat? :smallsmile:
Loved the title as well! Except that I can't erase the image of a tobacco-chewing dwarf letting a wad fly through all that facial hair... Yuuchh!

It isn't. Wisdom is.

FoE
2009-10-01, 12:52 PM
"Date-bearing bitch" was the high point. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 12:53 PM
It isn't. Wisdom is.

It can't be lower than 9 if you are going by the geekery thread.

V seems to think it's his Int that is very low as well- but V has been wrong before.

Ormur
2009-10-01, 01:00 PM
If Mr. Scruffy is Belkar's animal companion then what's his HD. What would happen if you were to pick an animal companion of a lower CR than suggested for 1st level and then advance it per the Ranger rules?

An excellent strip though.

Calamity
2009-10-01, 01:03 PM

V seems to think it's his Int that is very low as well- but V has been wrong before.

Probably because an average INT score is "very low" in V's mind.

RoninAngel
2009-10-01, 01:07 PM
"I just love helping people!"
That was cute! I might just siggy that! :smallsmile:

They really should take the camals, as Elan suggests. You never know when you need to split open a pack animal to prevent exposure, Empire Strikes back style. And don't camals make better time then humans, espeshally becuase they don't tire as easy?

HOLEkevin
2009-10-01, 01:15 PM
Aw… he really is nice!

Allan Surgite
2009-10-01, 01:39 PM
Durkon is a traditional Scottish stereotype; this kind of language doesn't surprise me.

Zanaril
2009-10-01, 01:55 PM
It's looking like our junior pickpockets were just one shots, but them popping up hidden in some supplies is not impossible.

I find it interesting the way you seize an idea by the throat and then won't let go until it's been dead a year. :smalltongue:

Mike_the_Mystic
2009-10-01, 02:22 PM

Perhaps he's been learning the tropes of theatre from Elan?:smallconfused:

Pip
2009-10-01, 02:23 PM

Actually it can't be higher than 9.

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 02:30 PM
4 point upgrade from Owls Wisdom- minimum wisdom to cast a level 3 cleric spell of Cure Serious Wounds is 13.

(assuming that rangers can cast clerical scroll spells which are also on their own list, at the spell level listed for the clerical scroll, rather than the spell level of the spell in their list itself)

The "i have an ability score penalty" does place it at maximum 9 though.

Maximum 9, minimum 9 (assuming a generous interpretation of the scroll rules)

Dark Faun
2009-10-01, 02:32 PM
I think this was a case of Funny Trumps Rule (and Continuity). In the first case, Belkar needed a Wisdom of 10 to make the joke, then he needed a Wisdom penalty to make another joke.

Ted The Bug
2009-10-01, 02:35 PM
Durkon used (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0682.html) the "b" word! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0398.html)
Now THAT is character development.

Pip
2009-10-01, 02:47 PM
4 point upgrade from Owls Wisdom- minimum wisdom to cast a level 3 cleric spell of Cure Serious Wounds is 13.

(assuming that rangers can cast clerical scroll spells which are also on their own list, at the spell level listed for the clerical scroll, rather than the spell level of the spell in their list itself)

The "i have an ability score penalty" does place it at maximum 9 though.

Maximum 9, minimum 9 (assuming a generous interpretation of the scroll rules)

You referenced the Geeky thread, which lists Belker's Wisdom as <= 9. I believe they treat the Owl's Wisdom thing as funny out ruling rules, and not being conclusive.

Personally I'd agree with it being equal to 9.

Hrairoo
2009-10-01, 02:48 PM
haha, what i love about belkar is he hasn't lost any of his humor...

the new and improved belkar is funny because he's so bad at it...

garylian
2009-10-01, 03:00 PM
Belkar continues to get the best lines. I'm so glad he's back in the middle of things!

veti
2009-10-01, 03:03 PM
Where did this idea come from that LG types aren't supposed to swear...?

I mean, people in Celestia use "damn" and "ass" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0498.html), to say nothing of "frigging" and "screwing" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0499.html), and Roy says "crap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html)" right in front of the deva. She doesn't even blink.

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 03:10 PM
You referenced the Geeky thread, which lists Belker's Wisdom as <= 9. I believe they treat the Owl's Wisdom thing as funny out ruling rules, and not being conclusive.

Personally I'd agree with it being equal to 9.

Same here- with the Owls Wisdom thing actually functioning under a certain interpretation of the rules- and thus, neither refuting nor being refuted by the "ability score penalty" strip later.

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-01, 03:10 PM
So, how much damage Durkon just took? :smallamused:

Let's say 2d6 falling damage from the tree (probably not 20 feet high, but considering how it's drawn (ignoring the physical possibility or impossibility), he was accelerated towards the ground by the tree faster than by gravity, so I think 2d6 is fair.

Then he took damage from the falling warhammer, which weights, apprently, only 5 pounds. This places it in the 1-5 pound category, which means it has to fall 70 feet or more (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#Falling_Objects) to deal 1d6 points of damage (who thought that one up???). As silly as that seems, it is nevertheless how the rules state it. The question is now whether the hammer managed to fall 70 feet.

Durkon released the hammer about halfway through his flight, as depicted, though physically it needed to be a little before that for the flight path to work out. Then, he has to stand up from prone, and have a brief conversation with Belkar before the hammer drops. Standing from prone is a move action, talking is a free action, and the remainder of getting thrown by the tree is less than one standard action. So, it takes less than one round (possibly more if Durkon s no longer in combat rounds once the talking begins, or if he takes a moment to brush himself off, etc) for the hammer to leave Durkon, get to the top of its arc, then fall on him again. Objects fall at 60 feet/round (I think; someone may correct me on that) 150 feet in the first round, and 300 in the rounds following, so the hammer could not provably have dealt any actual damage to Durkon by RAW. The DM may, of course, fiat some nonlethal on there (and clearly did so), or the timing may have been drawn out offscreen. But provably, this is (I think) the best we can do. so the hammer could have done up to 2d6 damage (if it fell 140 feet or more); more likely 1d6 since it doesn't (I don't think) get a full round of falling (it has to go up first, remember).

So my answer is:
2d6 points of falling damage, plus 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage.

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 03:11 PM
Where did this idea come from that LG types aren't supposed to swear...?

I mean, people in Celestia use "damn" and "ass" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0498.html), to say nothing of "frigging" and "screwing" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0499.html), and Roy says "crap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html)" right in front of the deva. She doesn't even blink.

SoD- the Deva for Eugene lists "mild swearing" as objectionable along with "editing his own Wikipedia article" and complains every time Eugene swears.

Random832
2009-10-01, 03:49 PM

:smallsigh: We seriously don't need to have this argument again, at least not here.

FWIW I agree with your interpretation.

SoD- the Deva for Eugene lists "mild swearing" as objectionable along with "editing his own Wikipedia article" and complains every time Eugene swears.

What words does Eugene use? It's possible there's a specific class of words that are not considered acceptable by Celestia.

Optimystik
2009-10-01, 03:54 PM
What words does Eugene use? It's possible there's a specific class of words that are not considered acceptable by Celestia.

The Deva criticizes him twice: "The language isn't really helping your case" (though I forget which word prompted that) and a sterner "Language!" when he said "Goddammit." I don't have the book with me at the moment though.

Cracklord
2009-10-01, 03:54 PM
Tell me Durkon, What would Thor do if Belkar tried his on him?
Do that.

Random832
2009-10-01, 03:56 PM
Objects fall at 60 feet/round (I think; someone may correct me on that),

The closest thing to an answer in RAW is 150 feet in the first round, then 300 for each round thereafter. This is in the section on the Subjective Directional Gravity planar trait, which is specifically called out as being the same strength as on the material plane.

It's somewhat popular to reject this and apply real-world physics, for example I think there's a FAQ answer as to how long a non-flying character (such as Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html)) has to take action to mitigate the consequences of their fall.

(incidentally: free action (talking), four unspecified (bag of tricks), two move actions (getting potions out of bag), one more move action (getting talisman), one standard action (attempting to break talisman). That's a minimum of twelve seconds. Longer if we count some of the talking as non-free)

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 03:57 PM

"crap" and "damn" provoke the response "Language!"

Immediately prior, "Goddamn it." was responded to with "The language isn't really helping your case."

archon_huskie
2009-10-01, 05:19 PM
The Deva criticizes him twice: "The language isn't really helping your case" (though I forget which word prompted that) and a sterner "Language!" when he said "Goddammit." I don't have the book with me at the moment though.

To be honest "God damn it," while not commonly treated this way, is one of the worst things to say. It is worse than the f word, the c word, and the n word!

Think about it, taken literally you are asking God to curse someone. That is not something that should be said so casually.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-01, 05:28 PM
Also among religious people, while not the hight of profanity, it's very bad.

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-01, 05:34 PM
the "new improved belkar" is simply the old belkar but craftier.

not that thats a bad thing:smallbiggrin:

Sewblon
2009-10-01, 05:39 PM
Awesome! It's been awhile since we saw Belkar do anything especially evil.

Kish
2009-10-01, 05:49 PM
:smallsigh: We seriously don't need to have this argument again, at least not here.

Indeed.

FWIW I agree with your interpretation.

I don't, but, as long as we can all agree that the geekery thread, for whatever authority it has, doesn't say no less than 9...:smalltongue:

NakedCelt
2009-10-01, 05:49 PM
Why do the camels have thicker legs than just about anything else in the OotSVerse? Seriously, humans and horses and even ogres have to make do with just a line, but not these camels...

Allan Surgite
2009-10-01, 06:06 PM
Aesthetic choice? I am of the opinion that the camels look much better with their legs then they would with stick-legs (or what I imagine they would look like with stick legs).

Sijo
2009-10-01, 06:14 PM
Yet another strip in the new "book" I don't particularly care for. Maybe I should start lowering my expectations... :smallfrown:

First of all, I'm tired of the "Durkon hates trees!" joke. Look, this is a fantasy universe, for all we know there really ARE tree monsters secretly creeping in. But someone as wise as Durkon should have a means to detect them, not assault every tree he encounters.

Also, while I understand that Belkar is trying to fool the others about being nice now (which hopefully nobody except Elan will fall for) I don't care for his pulling abusive pranks while "assisting" them. Unless of course, it becomes OK for the others to "assist" him in the same fashion...

Ronan
2009-10-01, 06:48 PM
That Belkar... I'm gonna miss him :smallfrown:

Awesome Comic

Kashkalgar
2009-10-01, 06:50 PM

He didn't. He had the insult "Shaggy, smelly, ill-tempered beast" pre-prepared, but when he saw the hammer about to land on Durkon's head, he added, "with a hump."

Simple.

Also... I think the thickness of the camels legs is for the same reason that Rich feels the need to interrupt the stick legs of the main cast with a horizon line lately, to give them width. For some reason Rich does not like the legs of his characters being lines anymore.
Pity, that. I hate to see someone who is primarily a storyteller (not an artist) being overly critical of their own art, possibly (it is too early to tell) at the expense of the story.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-01, 06:57 PM
Anyone else think Belkar's name for Durkon is vaguely Strong Bad-esque? Dwarf-for-brains? Kind of like crap-for-brains?

The MunchKING
2009-10-01, 07:02 PM
Then he took damage from the falling hammer. I would probably stat it (in vanilla D&D terms) as a heavy mace, which weighs eight pounds.

I thought it was more of a Warhammer...

Shmigor
2009-10-01, 07:06 PM
Times like this you have to wonder who is going to kill Belker. The bad guys or one of the members of OotS.

Hey, no one said he will be murdered. The Oracle didn't specify how Belkar will die: he could as easily fall in combat as have one of those awful trees Durkon keeps warning about kill him. Although, being the character he is, I'm sure the Giant will give him a death fitting enough to him. (Sorry for the Metagame thinking there.)

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-01, 07:09 PM
I thought it was more of a Warhammer...

I agree, but for some reason I couldn't find it. Now I did, and I see that apparently it's only 5 pounds?? That drops it a weight category, making it even more likely that it's only 1d6 bludgeoning from the hammer. (post edited to reflect this)

Hithros
2009-10-01, 07:16 PM
Belkar really delivered....too bad that wasn't really what they wanted :smallamused:

brandr
2009-10-01, 07:34 PM
Combo
High Five Rich

Tobimaro
2009-10-01, 08:32 PM
Belkar should be working for the Post Office because he just delivered another load of funny. :smallbiggrin:

I like Belkar the problem solver, but I would be afraid if he were to offer to solve any of my problems. :smalleek:

Rhuna_Coppermane
2009-10-01, 08:46 PM

Yep. That said, I love the new, improved Belkar Bitterleaf. :smallbiggrin:

Carnivorous M.
2009-10-01, 10:30 PM
"Ye date-bearing bitch!"

My new catchphrase. :smallbiggrin:

squidbreath
2009-10-01, 11:49 PM
*gasp* Durkon was right! Trees really are evil & are out ta get em dwarves! :smalleek:

Tedankhamen
2009-10-02, 12:32 AM
Hilarious!

If you weren't a hairy guy, Giant, I'd kiss you.
Between Belkar's passive agression and the punchline about making everyone happy, sure comic genius.
Kudos!
:smallredface:

factotum
2009-10-02, 01:28 AM
Think about it, taken literally you are asking God to curse someone. That is not something that should be said so casually.

Especially not when you're speaking to someone who probably has God (or at least *a* God) on speed dial, as the deva does. :smallsmile:

Elemental_Elf
2009-10-02, 01:40 AM
To be honest "God damn it," while not commonly treated this way, is one of the worst things to say. It is worse than the f word, the c word, and the n word!

Historically I believe 'God Damn it' was a very horrible thing to say (along with other phrases similar to what Yosemite Sam spews), however, in modern American culture 'God Damn it' is a fairly worthless phrases used most often to condemn the stupidity of one's self or friends. The three words you stated have far more weight in any typical conversation (especially the latter 2). This is showcased by the show Deadwood which substituted the old west style of blasphemous curses in favor of modern curse words and phrases. The net effect is a show that feels much more edgy and less cartoony (which is exemplifies how far 'God Damn it' has truly fallen).

In the context of OOTS, I seriously doubt the phrase 'God Damn It' carries much weight given that there are whole pantheons filled with a plethora of Gods. More precisely, the phrase 'Thor Damn It', uttered by Durkon in a non-combat related situation, would most likely carry great offense since he is specifying his deity of preference, thus making it more explicit (pardon the pun).

Liwen
2009-10-02, 04:32 AM
Ahh Belkar. That was priceless and so well planed we could start saying you have a parentage with Light Yagami for the tendency to conceive risky plans that have about 5% chance of success, because when I read the last panel, what came to mind was just as planned (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosRoulette)

Also, did Roy just mentioned something about spiting up!? :smalleek:

archon_huskie
2009-10-02, 05:11 AM
In the context of OOTS, I seriously doubt the phrase 'God Damn It' carries much weight given that there are whole pantheons filled with a plethora of Gods. More precisely, the phrase 'Thor Damn It', uttered by Durkon in a non-combat related situation, would most likely carry great offense since he is specifying his deity of preference, thus making it more explicit (pardon the pun).

nO, Durkon would say Bestow Curse. And he has.

RMS Oceanic
2009-10-02, 05:15 AM
Also, did Roy just mentioned something about spiting up!? :smalleek:

He means splitting from the Caravan and heading into the Desert proper.

whitelaughter
2009-10-02, 08:03 AM

When Belkar spoke up after Roy said they didn't have taps, I was expecting some horrific impromptu surgery (possibly with Belkar insiting that the camel fill up on booze). The actual lighthearted mayhem was a relief!

Iago
2009-10-02, 08:45 AM
Okay, I never cared much for Belkar, but this was awesome. ... Ever since his epiphany, he suits my sense of humour much better.

I have to agree, this was Belkar For The Win. His new refined evil is much cooler than his one-trick-riding-dog status.

Optimystik
2009-10-02, 08:54 AM

Actually, asking a deity to curse someone would be "God damn YOU." "Goddammit" is more of a request for divine attention to/smiting of your general situation and not a person in particular.

axel1956
2009-10-02, 09:28 AM
Wow..it was a pretty funny comic today...Does anyone know if Rich used the SCA story/song (by the music group Clam Chowder) of Sir Ton the Traveller's battle with a Palm Tree back in the late 1970s as inspiration for the episode...cause there are real similarities in the two stories.:smallsmile:

Aris Katsaris
2009-10-02, 10:27 AM
Synchronicity alert: Durkon proved right! (albeit in a different comic) (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=625)

For understanding of context, read the immediately previous comic (#624 (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=624)) first, if you want.

Sorry for linking to a different comic, but in the Gunnerkrigg boards there's been enough linking to OOTS in the current thread that I figured it made sense to link from here there as well. :-)

Larkspur
2009-10-02, 12:01 PM
I don't care for [Belkar] pulling abusive pranks while "assisting" them. Unless of course, it becomes OK for the others to "assist" him in the same fashion...

When was that ever not OK? V's been assisting him to read explosive runes since the beginning of the strip.

Dark Faun
2009-10-02, 12:03 PM
Not since the beginning of the strip. Only since he ki... The Unfortunate Event.

Roderick_BR
2009-10-02, 12:38 PM
And Belkar just did an upgrade to Magnificent B*stard :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2009-10-02, 01:25 PM
And Belkar just did an upgrade to Magnificent B*stard :smallbiggrin:
Considering he's not fooling anyone and he's going to die soon and likely unmourned by his companions, I'd call that a "not-actually-a-changegrade to Smug Snake," m'self. :smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2009-10-02, 04:53 PM
I liked the cruel belkar better the new one is just plain scary.:smalleek:

Prowl
2009-10-02, 05:37 PM
"Set, set, set up the plot devices"

All together, now!

Let's get to some action. How's the liberation of Azure City going?

civver
2009-10-02, 05:55 PM
Don't camels store fat in their humps, not water? Other than that nitpick, pretty funny comic.

Kurien
2009-10-02, 06:02 PM
Ouch. It's times like these when you wish you put ranks in Profession (Lumberjack).

Herald Alberich
2009-10-02, 06:12 PM
Let's get to some action. How's the liberation of Azure City going?

It's only been two days. Team Peregrine has probably made contact with Thanh, their cleric provided relief from the chronic food shortage, and they've settled down to plan. I doubt they've even gotten around to bringing in any more elves yet.

Holy_Knight
2009-10-02, 09:40 PM
This is the funniest I remember Belkar being in a while! Good show. The only thing missing was a reference to Vaarsuvius being half-camel!* Was anyone else waiting for that?

*(Or half-dromedary.)

Lorna
2009-10-03, 12:41 AM
ooooooh, my.... *giggles*

laughed so hard, almost woke the kids up!

Belkar definately rules!

Funky Goose
2009-10-03, 08:56 AM
Nice!

Minor Nitpickery though, in the last panel, Elans arm is Not attached to his body... :smallsigh:

hamishspence
2009-10-03, 11:33 AM
But they do store water, even if its not in the humps (Which Elan doesn't mention as storing water anyway)

Eran of Arcadia
2009-10-03, 02:19 PM
But they do store water, even if its not in the humps (Which Elan doesn't mention as storing water anyway)

I don't think Belkar or anyone else is willing to go that far.

hamishspence
2009-10-03, 02:23 PM
True- just pointing out that Elan's statement about the camels storing water is not inccorect in itself.

That said- there are good reasons to take the camels besides their ability to go for long periods without water. Such as their ability to carry large amounts of stuff, if the Order feel they will need a lot of adventuring and survival gear.

Haley could use her Bags of Holding- unless they are full up with treasure- her dad's ransom loot.

Allan Surgite
2009-10-03, 02:44 PM
Doesn't she have around nine Bags of Holding? I'm reasonably sure you could carry 200,000gp in there and still have plenty of space left over.

Atronach
2009-10-03, 04:04 PM
Good thing they made the gold piece size smaller back in second edition.

Mr. Pin
2009-10-04, 11:35 AM
lawl. I enjoy that. Is there a Mr. Scruffy fan club? there should be.

Djibril
2009-10-04, 02:11 PM
Historically I believe 'God Damn it' was a very horrible thing to say (along with other phrases similar to what Yosemite Sam spews), however, in modern American culture 'God Damn it' is a fairly worthless phrases used most often to condemn the stupidity of one's self or friends. The three words you stated have far more weight in any typical conversation (especially the latter 2). This is showcased by the show Deadwood which substituted the old west style of blasphemous curses in favor of modern curse words and phrases. The net effect is a show that feels much more edgy and less cartoony (which is exemplifies how far 'God Damn it' has truly fallen).

I would say: GodS damn it!

No specific deity but same effect Plus whatever God would be at ear reach could possibly hep you

:smallwink:

Ramidel
2009-10-04, 07:11 PM
If this keeps up, we're going to have to rename "Crowning Moment of Awesome" to "Crowning Moment of Belkar."

Awesomely done.

Scarlet Knight
2009-10-04, 09:10 PM
It's only been two days. Team Peregrine has probably made contact with Thanh, their cleric provided relief from the chronic food shortage, and they've settled down to plan. I doubt they've even gotten around to bringing in any more elves yet.

Or they have been discovered and are paying for V's escape...

DrivinAllNight
2009-10-04, 11:48 PM
Once again Belkar proves how good he really is :)

Elemental_Elf
2009-10-05, 04:22 AM

No specific deity but same effect Plus whatever God would be at ear reach could possibly hep you

DARN YOUR LOGIC! :smallmad::smallwink::smallredface:

Janmorel
2009-10-05, 07:57 AM
Once again Belkar proves how good he really is :)

Alternatively, once again Belkar demonstrates why, in a world where there are multiple ways to cheat death when the people around you are willing to make an effort, he's doomed.

Optimystik
2009-10-05, 08:08 AM
lawl. I enjoy that. Is there a Mr. Scruffy fan club? there should be.

You'll be fine as long as you don't actually make a thread :smalltongue:

Or they all would, potentially making your situation far worse!

Djibril
2009-10-05, 02:24 PM
Or they all would, potentially making your situation far worse!

LOL

Name it "The Mother Of All The Curses"

Thus the only one God i wish to curse my enemies is The Allmighty Banjo:smallbiggrin:

John Cribati
2009-10-05, 04:09 PM

:durkon: Ye've come to lend aid? Good man!
Belkar didn't come to lend aid. neither is he a good man. So Durkon is wrong on Both counts.