PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Ur-Priest Query [3.5]

OMG PONIES
2009-10-01, 08:45 AM
I'm cooking up an Ur-Priest who will be doing a hefty amount of Divine Metamagic Persisting, and I came across the spell "Choose Destiny" from Races of Destiny. Now, I would snag this spell in a heartbeat and have it rocking all day, but I have to stop and ask:

It's a Domain-Specific spell. The Destiny Domain, to be exact. Does this still count as being on the cleric's class list, meaning that my Ur-Priest can cast it? Or, as I fear, is it stuck on a "Destiny Domainers Only" class list?

If it is only available with that domain, does anyone have any ideas on how I could grab it? My first thought was a Domain Draught from the MiC, but it sounds like those only work if you have domain spells (great for clerics, not so much for their godless cousins). Am I wrong? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Myou
2009-10-01, 08:54 AM
If it's only in the domain then it's not on the class list.

Sir_Chivalry
2009-10-01, 08:55 AM
I'm cooking up an Ur-Priest who will be doing a hefty amount of Divine Metamagic Persisting, and I came across the spell "Choose Destiny" from Races of Destiny. Now, I would snag this spell in a heartbeat and have it rocking all day, but I have to stop and ask:

It's a Domain-Specific spell. The Destiny Domain, to be exact. Does this still count as being on the cleric's class list, meaning that my Ur-Priest can cast it? Or, as I fear, is it stuck on a "Destiny Domainers Only" class list?

If it is only available with that domain, does anyone have any ideas on how I could grab it? My first thought was a Domain Draught from the MiC, but it sounds like those only work if you have domain spells (great for clerics, not so much for their godless cousins). Am I wrong? Does anyone have any other ideas?

If it's a domain spell, you can't get it as an ur-priest. Sorry.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-01, 08:57 AM

No, Domain Drought gives anyone a domain by my reading. But it only lasts for so long so it might get expensive to keep using them like a junkie.

Douglas
2009-10-01, 09:04 AM
Take a level in Contemplative, or any other cleric PrC that gives an unrestricted bonus domain.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-01, 09:15 AM
Would Contemplative work? I'm having the same problem with it that I was having in my reading of Domain Draught: both mention that you can take the domain's spells as your <i>domain</i> spells when you prepare for the day. But an Ur-Priest doesn't have domain spells. Any other ideas?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-01, 09:16 AM
Take a level in Contemplative, or any other cleric PrC that gives an unrestricted bonus domain.

QFT

If you can spare a CL, take a gander at Warpriest for the Domination domain as well.

EDIT: Oh, wait, that is a spot of trouble. Just try arguing with your DM. I think maybe there's a feat in Complete Champion that allows partial domain spontaneity.

Douglas
2009-10-01, 09:20 AM
Would Contemplative work? I'm having the same problem with it that I was having in my reading of Domain Draught: both mention that you can take the domain's spells as your <i>domain</i> spells when you prepare for the day. But an Ur-Priest doesn't have domain spells. Any other ideas?
Read the section about bonus domains at the beginning of Complete Divine's PrC chapter. I'm pretty sure they specifically address the possibility of divine casters who don't have domains and how they benefit from PrCs that grant bonus domains. While I imagine this was intended for Druids, it should apply equally to Ur-Priests.

Edit: Here's the quote:

If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally. If she memorizes spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger, then she can simply choose to memorize one of that domain's spells instead of one of her usual spells, but never more than one domain spell of each level.

So, yeah, take Contemplative.

Gnaeus
2009-10-01, 11:20 AM
Good luck having direct contact with a representative of your deity, what with not having a deity and all.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-01, 11:28 AM
So then he must meet nothing as he worships nothing. He better mediate to a Zen-state.

The Ogre
2009-10-01, 11:37 AM
Technically, he still can since the special prerequisite for the class states the following:

Must have had direct contact with one's patron deity or a direct servant of that deity, or with an enlightened being embodying the highest principles of an alignment (a solar for example).

For example, if he were to meet a pit fiend and his Ur-Priest is LE, his character would be eligible for the contemplative PrC. Although that's just my personal interpretation of it.

Fishy
2009-10-01, 11:38 AM
Alternatively: sentient sphere of annihilation.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 12:00 PM
So then he must meet nothing as he worships nothing. He better mediate to a Zen-state.

Or, you no, something that isn't technically a deity. Like Serotous. Who gives access to every single domain in existence. And is an Elder Evil.

jiriku
2009-10-01, 12:01 PM
Hmm...could you cast awaken construct on a sphere of annihilation? I smell epic campaign villain....

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 12:16 PM
Its an item (an artifact item, no less), not a construct.

Animate Objects, then Awaken construct, would work if it wasn't for the fact that the spell works only on "nonmagical objects"

Tiamat has masqueraded as an intelligent, oversized sphere of annihilation though, calling itself Entropy.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 12:16 PM
Hmm...could you cast awaken construct on a sphere of annihilation? I smell epic campaign villain....

No, you can't. They are items, not constructs. There's all ready a sentient Sphere anyway, in the ELH.

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 12:24 PM
well, sentient thing that resembles a sphere anyway.

It grants a save against destruction on impact- the normal sphere does not.

The spell Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, from Spell Compendium, closely resembles it, again allowing a save.

Adding the Living Spell template (MM III) would create a living creature (ooze) that disintegrates things on contact if they fail their save, and the Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape) would give it an intelligence, albeit a low one (Int 2).

Bagelz
2009-10-01, 12:29 PM
1. as an ur priest you are stealing powers from the gods. why couldn't you steal from the god that grants destiny domain (note: this might attract attention from said god and you should expect some consequenses)
2. at some levels of ur priest you get the ability to steal spells from other people. if you can find a cleric under the effects of or casting choose destiny, then you should be able to steal it (and if quick enough persist it).

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 12:32 PM
1. as an ur priest you are stealing powers from the gods. why couldn't you steal from the god that grants destiny domain (note: this might attract attention from said god and you should expect some consequenses)
2. at some levels of ur priest you get the ability to steal spells from other people. if you can find a cleric under the effects of or casting choose destiny, then you should be able to steal it (and if quick enough persist it).

1: Because Domains are not on the Cleric's spell list, and Ur-Priest cannot cast spells that are not on the Cleric's spell list.

2: That ability is limited to SLAs only.

JellyPooga
2009-10-01, 12:42 PM
Adding the Living Spell template (MM III) would create a living creature (ooze) that disintegrates things on contact if they fail their save, and the Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape) would give it an intelligence, albeit a low one (Int 2).

Once you have an Int at all, you're only a template or two away from a better Int score...I'm sure there must be a template that Oozes can take that increase Int out there somewhere...

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 01:01 PM
there is Paragon Creature (but that might be a bit much) and probably others.

Fishy
2009-10-01, 01:29 PM
Oozes can be Fiendish, and then you're at Int 3.

Technically, anything alive and corporeal can be a Half-Fey, and Fey can be Spellwarped, which gets you +4 Int.

The mechanics of breeding together a faerie and a Living Sphere Of Ultimate Destruction are left as an exercise for the reader.

hamishspence
2009-10-01, 01:37 PM
Simplest way of resolving it is:

"a wizard did it + it does not involve actual breeding, but magic- soaking the living spell in faerie energies confers the half-fey template on it"

Now since the template grants wings- that would mean a black ball with a couple of wings sticking out of it. A bit like an overgrown Snitch.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-01, 01:46 PM
Thanks for your help, Playgrounders...I'm wondering if I can angle it that a Domain Draught will let me cast the spell, given that section in Complete Divine. I don't see why not.

Akal Saris
2009-10-01, 01:49 PM

Technically, anything alive and corporeal can be a Half-Fey, and Fey can be Spellwarped, which gets you +4 Int.

The mechanics of breeding together a faerie and a Living Sphere Of Ultimate Destruction are left as an exercise for the reader.

it was love at first sight!

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-01, 02:27 PM

Polymorph?