PDA

View Full Version : Ou my Brain....Help my fighters will save.

Flying Dutchman
2009-10-01, 09:52 AM
I'm currently playing a bull rushing fighter in a vampire heavy campaign see http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125981 for the campaign journal if you are board. This sunday will be session 3, and i've already spent one entire battle dominated, and would have spend another panicked, if my DM hadn't felt bad for me. Sooooo Whats the easiest/cheapest ways to get my Will saves up.

I've already gotten a ritual scaring(+2 vs fear effects) my DM gave me from completing a quest from some evil monks. I'm thinking I'm going to have our dwarf(Iron Soul Forgemaster) whip me up an armor crystal that gives me +3 vs mind effecting spells and effects, sence he can make pretty much anything, and it only takes a scroll of resistence. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna take Iron Will soonish, so any ideas? remember I can get pretty much any item half price assuming I can con my buddy into coughing up the XP for it.

Angelmaker
2009-10-01, 09:53 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm comes to mind.

Donīt know if thatīs available.

BooNL
2009-10-01, 09:56 AM
You could take Steadfast Determination, it requires a prereq (can't recall which) but lets you base your will save on Con instead of Wis.

That is, if I recall correctly. It had something to do with switching around Will save to something favourable for fighters.

JeenLeen
2009-10-01, 09:59 AM
Steadfast Determination gives you Con bonus to Will saves instead of Wisdom. I think it has a prereq (Iron Will?), but am not sure.

As mentioned above, Mind Blank or an item that mimics it can be useful. I expect the armor crystal you mention is the one in the MiC; if not, look there for one that gives you a bonus and lets you reroll a '1' 1/day under certain criteria.
I also recommend getting a shield (Animated if you use two-handed fighting) with the MiC shield crystal that lets you avert your gaze without suffering mischance. That way you never have to look a vampire (or other creature that may have gaze attacks) in the eye, which might save you from having to make some saves.

Edit: somewhat ninja'd, but I guess I gave some more elaboration.

Eloel
Steadfast Determination needs Iron Will, and swaps Con with Wis for Will saves.

Glimbur
You could take Steadfast Determination, it requires a prereq (can't recall which) but lets you base your will save on Con instead of Wis.

That is, if I recall correctly. It had something to do with switching around Will save to something favourable for fighters.

True. Requires Endurance, which you could pick up from a Ranger dip or blow a feat on it. Feels like it's from PHB II but I'm far too lazy to check.

Flying Dutchman
2009-10-01, 10:00 AM
We are only level 8, not to mention we don't have a real caster. So pretty much any spell ideas are out the window. But i'll look into steadfast determination.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 10:01 AM
Devote yourself to Serotous (Elder Evils) and get either Willing Deformity (Madness!), or Insane Defiance. Those protect your Will saves nicely.

tyckspoon
2009-10-01, 10:05 AM
Acquire Protection From Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil. Suppresses all Charm/Domination/possession effects. Doesn't end or prevent them, but hopefully you can manage to kill whatever was trying to Dominate you by the time the protection expires. Your dwarf should be able to get it on you some way; talk to your DM about it if there isn't a pre-existing item that does it (I'm almost certain there is, it's one of the most fundamental spells in the game.)

OldTrees
2009-10-01, 10:06 AM
There is an alternate Fighter Class feature named Resolute (swapping the level 2 or higher feat) that allows you to reduce your attack bonus from BAB to half (remaining BAB rounded up) and add the decrease as an (untyped?) bonus to Will saves. (The effects take an immediate action to activate and last for one round.)

(I believe that the class feature is in complete champion)
If you are not using your immediate actions and have a high enough attack bonus then this could work.

Leewei
2009-10-01, 11:26 AM
Acquire Protection From Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil. Suppresses all Charm/Domination/possession effects. Doesn't end or prevent them, but hopefully you can manage to kill whatever was trying to Dominate you by the time the protection expires.
This has worked very well for me in the past. Magic circle against evil has the added benefit of freeing dominated victims and warding off summoned wolves and bats -- and lasts a hefty 10 minutes/level.

Douglas
2009-10-01, 11:59 AM
talk to your DM about it if there isn't a pre-existing item that does it (I'm almost certain there is, it's one of the most fundamental spells in the game.)
There's an armor special ability that does it in the Book of Exalted Deeds. Costs +3, I think. Won't help against fear, but it will deal with charming and domination quite thoroughly.

ericgrau
2009-10-01, 12:01 PM
Potion of protection from evil or ally with magic circle against evil. No more vampire domination.

A dip into dragon disciple will net you a +4 over two levels, with enough stat bonuses to make up for the lost BAB. Even strength for your bull rush checks. Though you might want to take dragon disciple to at least 3rd level, maybe even 7th, to get a decent benefit.

Telonius
2009-10-01, 12:07 PM
Is your DM allergic to Psionics? A Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMaskofMindarmor), while it might be out of your price range right now, might do the trick. It's an Insight bonus rather than a Resistance bonus, so it stacks with Cloak of Resistance.

Talya
2009-10-01, 12:47 PM
Feat: Martial Study - Moment of Perfect Mind (Once per encounter roll a concentration check instead of a will save.) And start putting skill points into concentration.

Alternately, take a level of Warblade to get the same feature (and more.)

Draken
2009-10-01, 12:59 PM
Devote yourself to Serotous (Elder Evils) and get either Willing Deformity (Madness!), or Insane Defiance. Those protect your Will saves nicely.

I prefer Ragnora personaly. Even went and made a character who worshiped her for a Ravenloft campaign that never flew once. That was one crazy half-farspawn there, intent on preaching to the people of the undead-ridden plane that the great mother would come and free them. :smalltongue:

Going this way, I would recomend the Shape Soulmeld feat for the soulmeld that reduces ability damage by 1 point. Vile feats like to be mean.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-01, 01:12 PM
If at all possible, a dip in Binder for Naberius gives better anti-ability-damage skills, plus Silver Tongue (great for diplomancy)

Indon
2009-10-01, 01:21 PM
There's a Soulmeld that grants you all the mental protections of Protection from <Alignment> spells, and being a Soulmeld you can maintain it indefinitely.

Costs one Shape Soulmeld feat.

Jack Zander
2009-10-01, 01:21 PM

Devote yourself to Serotous (Elder Evils) and get either Willing Deformity (Madness!), or Insane Defiance.

get either Willing Deformity (Madness!), or Insane Defiance.

Willing Deformity (Madness!)

(Madness!)

This! Is! Sparta!

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-01, 01:23 PM
That doesn't help versus fear, and (as I learned painfully) confusion.

This! Is! Sparta!

This is piety. This is sanity. This is Athens.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-01, 01:26 PM
This! Is! Sparta!

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/217/patricknotsparta.jpg

On a side note: Someone has realized I have a pattern. Have I ever mentioned that Elder Evils is an excellent source for PCs who want to abuse 5 free bonus feats?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-01, 01:37 PM
Yes, you have, and it's the only way I learned about it. Can't say that I'll find a GM that would let that fly, though.

EarthTremor
2009-10-28, 07:48 PM
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but i think there are some ideas i think have been missed.

The cheapest option is a Horn of Goodness/Evil (http://dndsrd.net/magicItemsWI.html#horn-of-goodness-evil), 6,500gp from the DMG. Once/day magic circle with an hour long duration. My monk ended up with one of these once, and it turned out to be invaluable, as he often found himself the only party member who could reliably make a Will save (which the party paladin found a little embarassing). Being able to 'jam' domination and possession effects was a huge help.

If your DM doesn't like running 'magic shops', ask your dwarf friend if he can take Craft Wondrous Item at ninth level, and he should be able to craft it with the help of a neutral cleric (300gp if you have to pay for the spells).

If you're going down the feat option, Indon is right, there is a soulmeld in magic of incarnum that grants immunity to mental control called Planar Ward. You could do worse than to burn a feat on Shape Soulmeld to never have to worry about being dominated again (just be aware like all soulmelds in can be dispelled). If you have a compatible alighnment you might want to consider dipping 1-2 levels into Incarnate instead. You'll boost your Will save and be able to shape the ward whenever you think you'll need it, plus have access to bunch of other handy abilities (Strongheart Vest comes to mind).