PDA

View Full Version : WotC Website Issues

Thunder Hammer
2009-10-01, 11:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am not trying to break any forum rules about this, but I am having severe difficulty getting onto the WotC D&D boards. Obviously, since the upgrade.
I have a 1yr old pimped out gaming machine (4gig ram, dual core 3.0 gz processors etc) and my work computer (something more "ok") but *neither* can even load a page of the WotC boards.

I think it's a software issue and I'm not sure what it is. So far as I know, both machines have everything updated. Am I the only one with this problem? Anyone aware of a "fix" or something I can do to get the WotC boards to load?

Thanks! :)

Edited to add: I use the latest IE... 8 at home and work.

Brother Oni
2009-10-01, 11:22 AM
Well to start, what browser are you using?

Thunder Hammer
2009-10-01, 11:32 AM
I use IE8 at home and work

drakir_nosslin
2009-10-01, 12:03 PM
It works fine for me, I use chrome, so you can always try with that, though I tried with IE now and it works perfectly. Might have something to do with cookies or something like it, but I don't really know...

Thunder Hammer
2009-10-01, 12:06 PM
Gah. I'll break down and install firefox or chrome, see if that does anything.

Athaniar
2009-10-01, 03:27 PM
Go ahead, install Firefox. Just do it. Install it, and be one of us.

Forever.

*Evil Laugh*

Lupy
2009-10-01, 04:42 PM
Firefox! Firefox! Firefox! Firefox! Do eeet!

Seriously, go get Firefox.

Also, try clearing your cookies and then trying again.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-01, 05:47 PM
Don't listen to these Firefoxxing fools. Google Chrome is superior in every way. And we have a super-duper-pokeball for a logo. Better than a flaming mammal every time. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, I son't use the site so I have no real advice.

Krankheit
2009-10-01, 10:28 PM
firefox inferior, Opera Superior!

I tried the wotc forums on both, and it worked fine, with Opera and firefox.

If your in the market for a new browser, give Opera a chance, it has and invented many features that eventually get copied in other browsers (like tabs, popup blocker, zoom, search built into the toolbar, speed dial) and a few like widgets I havent seen anywhere else. It has functions you can only get from firefox with extensive addons, like a built in torrent client.

Opera is either the most, or one of the most secure browsers available.

Jack Squat
2009-10-01, 10:34 PM
Don't listen to these Firefoxxing fools. Google Chrome is superior in every way. And we have a super-duper-pokeball for a logo. Better than a flaming mammal every time. :smallbiggrin:

Agreed. Though I liked the old internal menu (the thing that shows your top viewed sites) better. Of course, both Chrome and Opera aren't supported everywhere (I'm looking at you CourseCompass!), so it's good to have firefox as a backup.

The Neoclassic
2009-10-01, 10:37 PM
firefox inferior, Opera Superior!

I tried the wotc forums on both, and it worked fine, with Opera and firefox.

If your in the market for a new browser, give Opera a chance, it has and invented many features that eventually get copied in other browsers (like tabs, popup blocker, zoom, search built into the toolbar, speed dial) and a few like widgets I havent seen anywhere else. It has functions you can only get from firefox with extensive addons, like a built in torrent client.

Opera is either the most, or one of the most secure browsers available.

Opera fanboy? :smallconfused: I don't prefer Firefox, but goodness the link in your sig seems very... adamant. Can't say I care for that person's tone (I honestly don't care what non-Windows fanboys have to say? I get the impression he [she?] considers anyone who disagrees with him [her?] to be a fanboy.)

ANYWAY: I'm on IE 7 and I'm not having any issues on the WotC site. I don't see why IE 8 wouldn't work if IE 7 does... *Wanders off to consult techie friend*

EDIT: Techie friend says...

Before IE8, all versions of IE used a compeltely different set of rendering rules than the rest of the web (as in, they ignored the standards defined by the world wide web consortium and made their own rules). Only in IE8 is it, by default, W3C compliant...mostly. So a site built by the IE7 and earlier standards could fail to display the same way in IE8.

Well, I learned something new today! :smallbiggrin: