PDA

View Full Version : Need help balancing a Rage Feat

Revan Ordo
2009-10-01, 11:55 AM
My player has come up with this idea for a feat that grants his barbarian fast healing 1 when he rages. Normally I wouldn't allow this, but so far his party consists of: a ranger, a sorcerer, and a rogue in addition to himself. Since healing is at a premium with this party I'm considering it.

This is the feat as he described it:
Vigorous Rage
Your rage grants you a supernatural vigor, causing your wounds to heal.
Prerequisite: BAB +5, Ability to Rage, Con 17
Benefit: When raging, you gain fast healing 1.

It seems okay, but I think it needs at least one feat for a prerequisite, I'm just not certain which one. So far I'm considering either: Endurance, Faster Healing (CWar), Second Wind (Mini), or Toughness.

Let me know what you think. I really would like to get this balanced so he could use this feat.

Xefas
2009-10-01, 12:01 PM
Wait...you think a feat that allows someone to heal for 3 + their Con Modifier points over just as many rounds but only while expending another limited resource that they can only use a certain number of times per day is overpowered?

Seriously, a single 1st level Druid spell is better. I'd crank it up to 5 at least. And possibly make it scale with level, so it heals more as your character level increases.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-01, 12:02 PM
Fast Healing 1 once or twice a day for somewhere between 8/10 rounds is, quite honestly, rather pitiful. I would allow this with no prerequisites other than the ability to rage.

In fact, to make it actually useful, I'd consider doing the following:

Vigorous Rage
Prerequisites: Rage 1/day, Constitution 15
Benefit: When Raging, you gain Fast Healing equal to (1/2 your character level +1), to a minimum of 2.

Yes, it's decent at level 1...but it's decent for only 8 rounds per day. At level 20 it's just a drop in the bucket. Maybe, maybe stick Improved Toughness as a prerequisite, or maybe drop the base to (1/5 your character level +2, minimum 2)

Revan Ordo
2009-10-01, 12:16 PM
Xefas and Djinn,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll change the feat to the following:

Vigorous Rage
Your rage grants you a supernatural vigor, causing your wounds to heal.
Prerequisite: Ability to Rage, Con 17
Benefit: When raging, you gain fast healing 2 + 1 / 5 barbarian levels.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-01, 12:21 PM
Happy to help. :smallbiggrin:

And remember...if it does prove to be overpowering, feel free to ask him to tone it down...or buff it up. After all, you are the DM. :smallcool: