PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Creatures

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 12:16 PM
Right, Impossible Creatures is an RTS game where you combine mundane creatures to create superbeing creature armies to wage war on some guy who wants his own army of supercreatures, but he can't have one because he's all paranoid and evil.

Examples of creatures:

Lobster + Whale
Rhino + Lion
Eagle + Snapping Turtle
Elephant + Gorilla
Etc, etc

So:

Does anyone else have this game?
What did you think of it?
What is your favourite creature combination and why?

Dogmantra
2009-10-01, 12:29 PM
Fred, I command you to stop having such good taste.

I love this game! The bad thing is that I don't have it anymore (we lost it ages ago) and that all the coolest combinations are level 5 creatures.

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 12:30 PM
Fred, I command you to stop having such good taste.

I can't let you do that Dave. :smalltongue:

I love this game! The bad thing is that I don't have it anymore (we lost it ages ago) and that all the coolest combinations are level 5 creatures.

Brilliant. And yeah, apart from the Non-amphibious Croc-Gorilla, all the coolest combos are Rank 5.

YPU
2009-10-01, 12:32 PM
I liked the game overall, but the single player campaign really smelled like a cheap shot at pulp stories to me. A pity cause the whole style and look I loved.

I remember often spamming enemies with hordes of cheap burrowing animals. Swarm attacks you did not see coming can be very scary.

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 12:38 PM
I liked the game overall, but the single player campaign really smelled like a cheap shot at pulp stories to me. A pity cause the whole style and look I loved.

I remember often spamming enemies with hordes of cheap burrowing animals. Swarm attacks you did not see coming can be very scary.

Indeed. I never really got into the story myself.
As for diggers, I felt like the Ant was always vastly superior to the Lemming, despite them being the same Rank.

My Favourite Combo:
Gorillaphant (Gorilla with Elephant head, back legs and tail)

Dogmantra
2009-10-01, 12:41 PM
My favourite thing about the game was coming up with "hilarious" puns to name my creatures with.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-01, 12:47 PM
Yes, I loved that game.

Haven't played it in ages, though.

Lord Herman
2009-10-01, 12:50 PM
I love this game! The whole pulp atmosphere was very well done, and the building of creatures was brilliant. I found the gameplay itself a bit boring, though; apart from building all your units yourself, it's basically just another Warcraft/C&C clone.

It'd be great if Relic made a sequel someday, with some of Dawn of War/Company of Heroes' gameplay innovations.

loopy
2009-10-01, 12:53 PM
How bizarre, I was just trying to remember the name of this game the other day.

I quite liked it, but it brought out my inner min-maxer, and that was kind of an impediment to me playing the game (I'd just sit there modifying my creations instead).

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 12:54 PM
My favourite thing about the game was coming up with "hilarious" puns to name my creatures with.

I always call the Elephant-Gorilla "King Kong".

All I know is that Relic did a few expansions for it (one to do with Insects and another that just added ten new creatures and new abilities).

No sequels as far as I know. But it would be cool if they did make an Impossible Creatures II.

For me, the best part was the army builder itself, not the building a base part, not the "amass the army" part, not even the "mindless zerg rush at the end" part. It was just so cool to me.

EDIT:
@Loopy: I know what you mean. But usually, the best tactics were just full on SWARM.

YPU
2009-10-01, 01:07 PM
COMPLETE EDIT:

You can get the 15 insects (that actualy also includes aragnids) and 10 animals for FREE here on their website. (http://www.microsoft.com/games/impossiblecreatures/downloads.aspx) (completely at the bottom of that page)

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 01:20 PM
COMPLETE EDIT:

You can get the 15 insects (that actualy also includes aragnids) and 10 animals for FREE here on their website. (http://www.microsoft.com/games/impossiblecreatures/downloads.aspx) (completely at the bottom of that page)

I've already tried this and it didn't seem to work for me.

For the 10 bonus animals I get:
Pop-up 1 - Unable to open file. Please make sure it is not write protected.
Pop-up 2 - Creature(s) unlocked.
Yet when I open the game, I don't have any extra creatures.

YPU
2009-10-01, 01:25 PM
Are you sure you have the most recent version installed, I know the feeling tough, that sort of thing ofthen hapens to me with new aditions.

side note, the insect invasion pack includes BEHOMOTH (http://www.microsoft.com/games/impossiblecreatures/ss_ii.aspx?image=ii_force_behemoth.jpg)

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 01:28 PM
Are you sure you have the most recent version installed, I know the feeling tough, that sort of thing ofthen hapens to me with new aditions.

side note, the insect invasion pack includes BEHOMOTH (http://www.microsoft.com/games/impossiblecreatures/ss_ii.aspx?image=ii_force_behemoth.jpg)

I've tried installing patch 1.1 and patch 1.4 (which comes with Insect Invasion), neither works. :smallsigh:
I was really looking forward to that Wooly Mammoth. :smallsigh:

Athaniar
2009-10-01, 01:30 PM
I have this game, but haven't played it in a long time. I remember that I used to like creating mythological creatures.

Fredthefighter
2009-10-01, 01:39 PM
YES! It works on my other laptop!