PDA

View Full Version : The Sinthar

Jergmo
2009-10-01, 12:56 PM
Just something I cooked up at random to torment my players when they were in the mountains, so I thought I'd share. :smallsmile:

Sinthar
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 9d10+18 (65 hp)
Initiative: +10 (+6 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 70 ft. (14 squares), Climb 35 ft., Burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (+6 Dex, +6 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+13
Attack: Scythe blade +13 melee (2d4+6), or bite +13 melee (1d6+2 and 2d4 acid), or claw +13 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: 2 Scythe blades +13 melee (2d4+6) and bite +13 melee (1d6+2 and 2d4 acid) and 2 claws +13 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, tremorsense 60 ft., scent, resistance 10 acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic, spell-like abilities, fast healing 3, telepathy 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 23, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +18, Jump +26, Listen +10, Spot +10, Survival +10 (+14 when tracking by scent)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Track
Environment: Any land or underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 10-13 HD (Medium); 14-17 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Sinthar, also known as scythebeasts, are vicious, highly adaptable insectoid-like creatures that roam the planes, and stand at waist height to a man. Its claws and mandibles, with the aid of acid-like saliva, are used for burrowing into the ground where it often lies in wait for prey, sensing vibrations through tremorsense. It has very powerful rear legs and runs on all fours with its forelimbs. On its back are two very formidable limbs with scythe-like blades made of bone.

Spell-like Abilities
At will—ghost sound (DC 16), 1/day—planeshift. The save DCs are Wisdom-based and the Sinthar gains a +4 racial bonus to the save DC.
Pounce (Ex): If a Sinthar charges, it can make a full attack.
Trip (Ex): A Sinthar that hits with a scythe claw attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Sinthar.

Skills
A Sinthar has a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival checks, and have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.