PDA

View Full Version : D&d Irc

imp_fireball
2009-10-01, 06:45 PM
I'm D&D starved and I've been wanting to form an IRC 3.5 D&D group for a while. The group would be filled with numerous willing GMs, each to take the place of the other when one is unavailable, and players can sign up whenever by posting on our thread. We'd also have our own channel in IRC (which, if you are familiar with IRC, can be done in a flash) and (hopefully) a dice rolling bot.

Who's up for it? Post if you can GM. Signing up for games would still be done in threads, of course.
-----

Here's IRC (http://www.mirc.com/get.html) btw.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-01, 06:48 PM
Tentatively interested. I have an original campaign setting I'd really like to try, but will probably never get a chance to with my current campaign (in a different original setting) set to go another year or so. So yeah, I might be willing to DM if people are willing to:

-Accept some houseruling
-Learn a bit about the setting before play

EDIT: Er, maybe I misunderstood your post. Would we (the potential DMs) be rotating on a single campaign, or would we rotate campaigns depending on who DMs?

Temet Nosce
2009-10-01, 07:04 PM
I might be interested. IRC is my favorite way to play, and I'm out of games currently (and in desperate need of another). However, I'd want to know more about the way this DM rotation would work first, and I'd want to chat with the rest of the people who are interested.

imp_fireball
2009-10-01, 09:18 PM
Tentatively interested. I have an original campaign setting I'd really like to try, but will probably never get a chance to with my current campaign (in a different original setting) set to go another year or so. So yeah, I might be willing to DM if people are willing to:

-Accept some houseruling
-Learn a bit about the setting before play

EDIT: Er, maybe I misunderstood your post. Would we (the potential DMs) be rotating on a single campaign, or would we rotate campaigns depending on who DMs?

Rotate campaigns depending on who DMs although you can agree on whatever. My main goal here to always have a channel on IRC for which I can play in or GM a campaign (just a place for hosting and playing 3.5, really). On the thread, we'll establish meeting times, etc.

MCerberus
2009-10-01, 09:20 PM
You may want to post here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51). You'll find a lot more people looking for games.

imp_fireball
2009-10-01, 09:22 PM
I might be interested. IRC is my favorite way to play, and I'm out of games currently (and in desperate need of another). However, I'd want to know more about the way this DM rotation would work first, and I'd want to chat with the rest of the people who are interested.

Depends on how many people want to GM first off. If a GM hosts a campaign and has people that want to play it, and say, he is away for awhile (unable to host), he can agree on other GMs in the rotation taking the reigns and hosting HOWEVER if said GMs have players ready for another campaign and want to host that campaign they can use the channel but will need to agree on a different time (also it would be preferred if GMs can take over for other GMs in the same campaign rapidly since too many campaigns being perpetually hosted on the same channel can fill up a schedule and only complicate things).

You may want to post here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51). You'll find a lot more people looking for games.

That's probably good for finding players, and I'll leave that up to the GMs that want to do this IRC idea. I'm posting this thread so that I can get in on some of this continual IRC action.

If GMs decide to host a campaign using IRC, it's preferred that they link this thread to their recruitment thread and vice versa.

Arundel
2009-10-01, 09:51 PM
I would certainly be willing to help out (assistant DM perhaps?) in the beginning or sub in when the setting and story is already established. Unfortunately, descriptive world building is still a weak point of mine.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-01, 10:38 PM
Depends on how many people want to GM first off. If a GM hosts a campaign and has people that want to play it, and say, he is away for awhile (unable to host), he can agree on other GMs in the rotation taking the reigns and hosting HOWEVER if said GMs have players ready for another campaign and want to host that campaign they can use the channel but will need to agree on a different time (also it would be preferred if GMs can take over for other GMs in the same campaign rapidly since too many campaigns being perpetually hosted on the same channel can fill up a schedule and only complicate things).

Ehh... I've yet to see that kind of thing work out well. The closest scheme I've seen work was when a pair of friends did the co-DM thing. Having random people DM the same campaign is just a bad idea, their ideas never match.

Other than that though, I do like the idea of multiple campaigns. I might consider running one, but I'd want to feel things out as a player first I think and see how the group works out. For now at least, I'm mostly just desperate to get the chance to play again, so we'll see if this ends up getting a game going (if so, I'm almost certainly in unless something rubs me really wrong).

Mystic Muse
2009-10-01, 10:42 PM
I could probably be a GM. first I have to know though.

What's IRC? I seriously don't know.

Yar
2009-10-01, 10:49 PM
Internet relay chat.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-01, 10:50 PM
Internet relay chat.

AKA, multiplayer notepad.

(It's an instant chat program making use of chatrooms)

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-01, 10:54 PM
Well, I'm definitely willing to DM along with imp_fireball. Like I said, I have this setting I really want to try out..... it's somewhat low-magic (but not totally), uses a few alternate rules and no standard/randomly generated treasure (I always ignore those pretty much). Anyone interested?

Temet Nosce
2009-10-01, 11:00 PM
Well, I'm definitely willing to DM along with imp_fireball. Like I said, I have this setting I really want to try out..... it's somewhat low-magic (but not totally), uses a few alternate rules and no standard/randomly generated treasure (I always ignore those pretty much). Anyone interested?

Given that I prefer some weird rules (I've been playing long enough that standard character creation is a bit boring), it sounds good to me. Although I'd like to hear all the rules before absolute commitment. I'm also unsure what you mean about DMing with the Op (did he volunteer? I may have missed something here).

And yeah... I always ignore the random generation stuff to.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-01, 11:11 PM
Well, it's less alternate rules and more there's just a lot that's different about this setting. I usually play with Class Bonuses to AC, Armor as DR (reduced armor values stack with class bonus), and Damage Conversion. I push for Combat Facing, but nobody but me seems to like that rule. XD Anyway, the class bonuses go a long way to giving PCs a decent AC despite lacking magic armor/protection, plus the DR and conversion to nonlethal can keep them alive and compensate for a lack of magical healing.

I've never DM'd a Wizard or an optimization-heavy party, I should say beforehand. Also I prefer to have magic weapons gain abilities as their owners level up rather than being traded away. I allow up to two Flaws and Traits, and I'm never bothered about minor changes like giving a Fighter Spot/Listen as class skills or whatever.

As for the basic ideas of the setting, it'll take me a while to type up so I might make a thread in the Looking for Players thing.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-01, 11:12 PM
I probably shouldn't GM. I'm not really familiar with the medium so it may not be the greatest idea.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-01, 11:17 PM
However, I am, since I've done almost all my gaming in the last couple years on AIM. And you should definitely play. Because now I'm all excited about this and junk. :V

Gralamin
2009-10-01, 11:47 PM
I'd just like to point out that the unofficial #giantitp IRC channel (see my Sig), has everything set up to do this already, including a dice-rolling bot that you can borrow from NEO|Phyte.

Break
2009-10-01, 11:55 PM
I'd just like to point out that the unofficial #giantitp IRC channel (see my Sig), has everything set up to do this already, including a dice-rolling bot that you can borrow from NEO|Phyte.

Plus there's an existing population there to work with if you need players. You may as well use what's already there.

irc.gamesurge.net, #giantitp. I myself am interested in seeing what's offered, by the way.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-02, 12:04 AM
Well, it's less alternate rules and more there's just a lot that's different about this setting. I usually play with Class Bonuses to AC, Armor as DR (reduced armor values stack with class bonus), and Damage Conversion. I push for Combat Facing, but nobody but me seems to like that rule. XD Anyway, the class bonuses go a long way to giving PCs a decent AC despite lacking magic armor/protection, plus the DR and conversion to nonlethal can keep them alive and compensate for a lack of magical healing.

I've never DM'd a Wizard or an optimization-heavy party, I should say beforehand. Also I prefer to have magic weapons gain abilities as their owners level up rather than being traded away. I allow up to two Flaws and Traits, and I'm never bothered about minor changes like giving a Fighter Spot/Listen as class skills or whatever.

As for the basic ideas of the setting, it'll take me a while to type up so I might make a thread in the Looking for Players thing.

Fair enough, I'm actually only vaguely familiar with most of those rules (The ones I've used at all, were not in 3.5) and for some reason thought you meant alternate character creation rules.

Anyways, I'll definitely skip Wizard then (and the idea I've been wanting to play, as it is most definitely heavy optimization (I have a fanatic bouncing around in my head I'd like to use, but it's based on a gestalt Factotum/Ur-Priest//Swordsage/BCM). I would however ask, what level of power you are comfortable with (and expect from your players), and any other information in that area you'd care to offer.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-02, 12:13 AM
I am pretty familiar with the combat rules, but uh, pretty inexperienced with magic. The party I'm DMing right now is a Cleric who does little more than buff with Righteous Might and Divine Power, then just hit stuff with his warhammer; the fighter with no magic gear at all can actually outpower him by being hasted by the Bard and using Momentum Swing. And there's a Duskblade who doesn't do much except whittle at stuff with channeled shocking grasps. They're alright for a low-magic setting.

So I guess I'd say... not gimped, but not maximized either. The Cleric could be a far more powerful character if he ever remembered to use Divine Retribution, so it's not like they chose their stuff poorly.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-02, 12:18 AM
I am pretty familiar with the combat rules, but uh, pretty inexperienced with magic. The party I'm DMing right now is a Cleric who does little more than buff with Righteous Might and Divine Power, then just hit stuff with his warhammer; the fighter with no magic gear at all can actually outpower him by being hasted by the Bard and using Momentum Swing. And there's a Duskblade who doesn't do much except whittle at stuff with channeled shocking grasps. They're alright for a low-magic setting.

So I guess I'd say... not gimped, but not maximized either. The Cleric could be a far more powerful character if he ever remembered to use Divine Retribution, so it's not like they chose their stuff poorly.

I'll probably completely skip all casting then. I might talk to you about running a Fighter rework I have bouncing around in my head, I'm unsure (I have a vague idea about a Jack style Fighter using the rework RPed as a masochist). Whatever I make will still be optimized, but I'll use a low tier base for it probably to keep it around where you want power wise.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-02, 12:19 AM
Awesome, I'll be happy to look at any class variants you have in mind.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-02, 12:21 AM
I haven't been playing 3.5 a huge amount of time so I may not be great at optimising. Will this be a huge problem?

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-02, 12:24 AM
Naw, Temet Nosce is just gonna make us all look bad. :V

Temet Nosce
2009-10-02, 01:02 AM
Awesome, I'll be happy to look at any class variants you have in mind.

Alright, I'll contact you on AIM in a bit for a chat (slightly distracted now).

Naw, Temet Nosce is just gonna make us all look bad. :V

Heh, anyone who plays a spellcaster will pretty much automatically make me look bad (non casters just don't have the tools to compete with casters).

elliott20
2009-10-02, 01:36 AM
as much as I would like to try this out, my ability to participate is quite spotty. But if I can join on a "guest player" basis, I would love to give it a roll.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-02, 05:29 AM
(I'm not familiar with IRC, so there might be some obvious solution that I'm missing here)

How will you be handling the problem of keeping track of characters/NPCs in combat? I'm currently running an game over AIM and my current solution (maps with coordinate grids) tends to slow things down quite a bit. So if anyone here who has played or is considering a game like this has a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.

More on the topic, I like the idea of setting up IRC games through here, and would probably keep an eye on your threads in case I find myself in need of a game.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-02, 05:42 AM
(I'm not familiar with IRC, so there might be some obvious solution that I'm missing here)

How will you be handling the problem of keeping track of characters/NPCs in combat? I'm currently running an game over AIM and my current solution (maps with coordinate grids) tends to slow things down quite a bit. So if anyone here who has played or is considering a game like this has a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.

More on the topic, I like the idea of setting up IRC games through here, and would probably keep an eye on your threads in case I find myself in need of a game.

I generally skip the grid and just track positions based on actual measurements (if your players need to know the distance to something just list it in feet). I have on occasion had a DM who really obsessed over it, and in those cases we ended up using OpenRPG or Maptools but really in my experience dropping the entire thing smooths the game out enormously.

Like I said though, if it really matters to you a lot you may want to try switching which program you use.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-02, 11:20 AM
When I play on AIM, I just make a rough map on graph paper. I draw everyone's starting position, and erase and redraw each one after its action, if it moves. I describe the scene to my players just using my writing skills, and answer any specific questions they have about distance or terrain.

However, I did download maptools, so if you guys really want me to I'll try to learn it. >_>

EDIT: Which reminds me, since it's important to know, are there size limits on messages sent over IRC?

Temet Nosce
2009-10-02, 05:37 PM
However, I did download maptools, so if you guys really want me to I'll try to learn it. >_>

EDIT: Which reminds me, since it's important to know, are there size limits on messages sent over IRC?

Nah, as I said IRC is my favorite method. Also, Maptools is just plain bloody annoying. Although OpenRPG is worse. I wouldn't recommend either of them unless someone absolutely can't play without a grid.

And yes, there is a size limit. I can't recall precisely how long it is (roughly a normal paragraph) but one exists.

imp_fireball
2009-10-03, 12:07 AM
If a GM has a map that everyone will continue referring to over the course of several minutes or an hour, they could provide a link to the image of the map.

The GM could get images of all the maps he wishes to use hosted and then call up links whenever the players ask for a map (usually this might be a map of the outside terrain, which might apply if say, the PCs purchase a map or uncover one).

That's one way.
------

I think it'd be a good idea that since it's IRC, things might roll faster so having 'guest players' pop in every now and then to play a role in a campaign is a great idea. GMs should create a list.

Also, IRC is great because when the GM wants to keep things hidden from the players, or only known among a select few players, etc., they can secretly open a different channel for conversation and communicate it to said players. Again, my two cents.

imp_fireball
2009-10-03, 04:29 PM
Update: I've realized that to host a proper campaign, a GM needs to create a seperate channel on IRC away from #giantitp (since that's more of a meeting ground). How will they make use of the dicebots on giantitp with a seperate channel?

I also have an idea for a campaign of my own.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-03, 04:43 PM
Update: I've realized that to host a proper campaign, a GM needs to create a seperate channel on IRC away from #giantitp (since that's more of a meeting ground). How will they make use of the dicebots on giantitp with a seperate channel?

I have a dicebot if it's needed (although many servers have dicebots of their own anyways - so it depends on where we're playing).

That said, I was going to check out the channel and probably say the same thing regarding needing our own. Regardless though, it won't be a problem (I'd suggest creating both a game channel and an OOC channel).

Break
2009-10-03, 04:49 PM

I have my own dicebot as well, and it's not too much of a problem to keep mine up.

imp_fireball
2009-10-03, 05:53 PM
OOC channel can just be a thread here. Basically if the player has a question that's going to need some thought on the part of the GM, the GM will ask the player to post it in a thread on here.

Gralamin
2009-10-03, 06:08 PM

"/invite The_Blacker_Ace #ChannelName"
Replace The_Blacker_Ace with whatever the current name of the dicebot is. Its scripted to autojoin then, and you can get rid of it with
"^leave"

Temet Nosce
2009-10-03, 06:14 PM
OOC channel can just be a thread here. Basically if the player has a question that's going to need some thought on the part of the GM, the GM will ask the player to post it in a thread on here.

... Heh, people tend to chat OOC during sessions. If someone wants to address the GM, they can do it in chat, but I'm referring to people speaking OOC while we play.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-10-03, 06:55 PM
For my part, I'm not at all uptight about people talking out-of-character during play. You don't need to be super-intense-focused at all times and I'll probably be joking around myself anyway. :p

Temet Nosce
2009-10-03, 07:53 PM
For my part, I'm not at all uptight about people talking out-of-character during play. You don't need to be super-intense-focused at all times and I'll probably be joking around myself anyway. :p

Not saying you do, but it keeps things neater to stick the random stuff in another channel (it gets a bit cluttered if you're trying to game in a window where you have other conversations going on).

Fax Celestis
2009-10-03, 08:38 PM

Also, I'm there. :smallwink:

imp_fireball
2009-10-04, 07:26 PM
Here's a campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7057045#post7057045)I'm willing to GM IRC.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-08, 01:45 AM
I could probably DM. I need constructive criticism for my campaign anyway. In said campaign there are no gods just dragons and dragon overlords. Although a few of them are named after gods.

I'll also play in any campaign that wants me. I'm willing to be a warblade, a psion, a swordsage or a Paladin of freedom if the GM is right. I have a few ground rules.
no evil campaigns.
no consorting with the planes in the ventral position.
no allowing me to be a class then hating me being that class.
You have to give me a level 95 Silver dragon as a pet that does whatever I want. (okay this one's a joke.)

please tell me what system for stats we're using before I choose my character. For example if we were using a low point-buy I definitely wouldn't be choosing Paladin. not even for just 4 levels.