PDA

View Full Version : Domain power for wizards?

deuxhero
2009-10-01, 07:20 PM
I think complete champion has replaceing a wizards 5th level bonus feat with one of your deitys domain powers. What are good powers to consider?

Keld Denar
2009-10-01, 07:22 PM
Pride domain - Reroll ALL 1s on saves.
Destiny domain - 1/day reroll for friends within 30
Luck domain - 1/day reroll
Travel domain - CL/day rounds of FoM vs magic only (doesn't work vs grapples)
War domain - Proficiency + Focus for X weapon, good for getting into AbjChamp

Vangor
2009-10-01, 07:28 PM
Time gives Improved Initiative

Plenty of +CL and +DC Domains, as well, which might be worthwhile to you depending on the spell list.

Note, this is only if you don't need the Metamagic or Craft this level, but I know most people who don't see this as a restriction.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 07:30 PM
Destiny domain - Reroll ALL 1s

All? All? Wow, is that powerful.

Myrmex
2009-10-01, 07:31 PM
Where do I find the Destiny domain?

Vangor
2009-10-01, 07:34 PM
All? All? Wow, is that powerful.

Actually, Destiny allows you to, once per day, allow another person to reroll any attack, save, ability check, or skill check they just made and accept the new result.

And this is found in Races of Destiny on pg 163.

deuxhero
2009-10-01, 07:35 PM
Hmm, can the turn [fire] or such abilitys sneak you into some cleric prestige classes/feats?

Keld Denar
2009-10-01, 07:40 PM
Actually, Destiny

Yea, my bad. I ment Pride domain. Pride is found on page 278 in the Spell Compendium (probably reprinted from somewhere) and does exactly like I stated. Reroll all 1s. You HAVE to take the 2nd result, but honestly, can it ever be worse than a natural 1? Worst case (1/400 rolls), you roll another 1 and are no worse off than you started.

The Turning domains don't work if you aren't a cleric or other something that gest the turning mechanic since you don't have an effective Cleric level to base on. Well, technically, I guess it would be 0, so the best you could hope for is 4 HD unless you invest in a ton of +TU gear.

Vangor
2009-10-01, 07:42 PM
Hmm, can the turn [fire] or such abilitys sneak you into some cleric prestige classes/feats?

Unless you found a prestige class, feat, or similar which specifically indicates any Turn type is allowed, Turn Undead itself would be necessary.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 07:43 PM
Yeah, rerolling all ones is ridiculously powerful. Especially if you have one of those sadistic DMs with crit failure charts...

Salt_Crow
2009-10-01, 07:44 PM
Yea, my bad. I ment Pride domain. Pride is found on page 278 in the Spell Compendium (probably reprinted from somewhere) and does exactly like I stated. Reroll all 1s. You HAVE to take the 2nd result, but honestly, can it ever be worse than a natural 1? Worst case (1/400 rolls), you roll another 1 and are no worse off than you started.

The exact wording of the domain ability applies only to saving throws (no limit/day). Then again, "reroll all natural 1s on saving throws" is more than a decent trade for a single bonus feat in my books.

deuxhero
2009-10-01, 07:45 PM
Hmm, Fire domain does give a wizard necromancer the ability to control fire giants and pyrohydras (are these guys better dead or undead? You can have either though.), now if we could get them desecrate.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-01, 07:47 PM
Pride is found on page 278 in the Spell Compendium (probably reprinted from somewhere) and does exactly like I stated. Reroll all 1s.

That is an extremely misleading description and implies shenanigans like the d2 Crusader can be Pride-enabled.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 07:47 PM
The exact wording of the domain ability applies only to saving throws (no limit/day). Then again, "reroll all natural 1s on saving throws" is more than a decent trade for a single bonus feat in my books.

Ah, vastly less overpowered then. Still, all 1s on saving throws is definitely better than any of the +2 saving throw feats. I'd consider it an excellent trade.

Random cheesy thought: They did think to exclude the rerolled saving throw from being rerolled again if it comes up 1, right?

Curmudgeon
2009-10-01, 07:51 PM
Random cheesy thought: They did think to exclude the rerolled saving throw from being rerolled again if it comes up 1, right?
Yes. You can reroll all natural 1s on saving throws, once per die rolled.

Keld Denar
2009-10-01, 08:00 PM
For clarity, since I already mucked it up once...

Pride Domain
Granted Power: Whenever you roll a 1 on a saving throw, you can immediately reroll the save. You must keep the result of the second roll, even if its another 1.

Still probably the best class ability you could ever want, especially if you crank your saves up and have Evasion (Prescience Sense, Divine Oracle2) and/or some form of Mettle.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 09:32 PM
Im a firm believer in high saves, and typically have at least one of the +2 save feats(helped strongly by the fact that they're prereqs for many things). Curing the "roll a one" problem is huge, even with those caveats.

It gets stronger when dealing with things below you, too. That giant mob of stuff with poor save DCs? It just got quite a bit crappier.

Shadowbane
2009-10-01, 09:33 PM
Pride domain is always my first choice. Rerolling all ones...extremely good.

Zeful
2009-10-01, 09:36 PM
Im a firm believer in high saves, and typically have at least one of the +2 save feats(helped strongly by the fact that they're prereqs for many things). Curing the "roll a one" problem is huge, even with those caveats.

It gets stronger when dealing with things below you, too. That giant mob of stuff with poor save DCs? It just got quite a bit crappier.

Except you can have an infinite bonus to your saving throws, and if you roll a one, you still fail.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-01, 09:41 PM
By it, Im referring to the low level mob, not the ability.

Even Pun Pun wants this feat.

Keld Denar
2009-10-01, 10:00 PM
Pride Domain + Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) and numerous amounts of multiclassing (to get an insane Will save) means you can liberally abuse Celerity and it doesn't ever cost you your next turn.

Take that, action economy!