PDA

View Full Version : Bounty hunter must suck.

largertyler
2009-10-01, 08:38 PM
Just a random thought. If the greatest bounty hunter of all time, Boba Fett in case some of us where in question here had gotten eaten by a stationary hole in the ground (going the the original here) then what does that say about the other mercs?

Groundhog
2009-10-01, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure it says anything. Just that Boba got too cocky. :smallwink:

V'icternus
2009-10-01, 08:52 PM
And that Han Solo is awesome.

...Also, it looks like someone isn't familiar with the Expanded Universe. :smalltongue:

KataraAltinaII
2009-10-01, 08:55 PM
Just a random thought. If the greatest bounty hunter of all time, Boba Fett in case some of us where in question here had gotten eaten by a stationary hole in the ground (going the the original here) then what does that say about the other mercs?

nothing. it just means Boba Fett had a moment of suck.

I heard he got out though. Therefore, Bounty Hunters retain their badassery.

largertyler
2009-10-01, 08:58 PM
Ok yeah he did bust out of the Sarlac and that was Kick ass. However counterpoint, he DID get himself eaten buy a hole in the ground. Also what hasn't happened in the expanded universe, really? If you are enough of a cynic you could call like ALL the expanded universe a giant soap opera. I mean things like, people having babies here, courtship of Leia there, MAUL IS BACK WITH ROBOT LEGS? Chewy dies...OH GOD WHY! anyway you see my point, agree or not you could make a strong argument comparing the expanded universe to a soap opera.

Eon
2009-10-01, 09:30 PM
how dare you critisize the expanded universe! :smalltongue:
and everything is a soap opera now...

CrazySopher
2009-10-01, 10:00 PM
Nonono, you're going about wrong.

This incident, ladies and gentlemen, is a sign. A reminder, if you will, a message to us lowly commoners sitting and typing at our electronic interface machines, with our outdated technology and total lack of hyperdrive. We might not have the lightsaber, the spacecraft, or advanced circuitry technology... but at the end of the day, friends, anybody can roll a natural 1.

Rutskarn
2009-10-01, 10:03 PM
A lot of criminals ain't too hard to bring in. If you've got better equipment than law officers, you should be able to beat them to the punch almost every time.

I mean, we've got some moneyless, talentless schleb with a rusty blaster, on the run from a guy with a jetpack, flamethrower, reputation, and mean attitude.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-10-01, 10:11 PM
I should note that most of the shooting legends of the Wild West died of a shot to the back.

Bonny and Clyde were ambushed by cops and riddled full of holes.

Nobody is invincible.

Knaight
2009-10-01, 11:07 PM
Your signature seems uniquely appropriate right now.

chiasaur11
2009-10-01, 11:13 PM
He'd been perfectly positioned to look straight down the legendary metal bikini. Any one of us would be a bit off his game if we were spending the day thinking about that.

Also, it was Tag, or possibly Bink who fell into the pit anyway.

skywalker
2009-10-01, 11:18 PM
This incident, ladies and gentlemen, is a sign. A reminder, if you will, a message to us lowly commoners sitting and typing at our electronic interface machines, with our outdated technology and total lack of hyperdrive. We might not have the lightsaber, the spacecraft, or advanced circuitry technology... but at the end of the day, friends, anybody can roll a natural 1.

Or counterpoint, any of us can roll a natural 20. Remember Smaug? All the training in the world can't save you from a lucky bullet.

Not a knock on Boba, I mean, crazier things happen in those movies. (like Luke's million to one shot, for starters...)

CrazySopher
2009-10-02, 01:19 PM
Or counterpoint, any of us can roll a natural 20. Remember Smaug? All the training in the world can't save you from a lucky bullet.

Not a knock on Boba, I mean, crazier things happen in those movies. (like Luke's million to one shot, for starters...)

An equally powerful point that I'd erroneously neglected to mention, sir, and I credit you for its mention.

SDF
2009-10-02, 01:25 PM
Boba Fett in case some of us where in question here

Oh, Reginald...

I DISAGREE!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Rick_Deckard.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PuZoLkvmBbc/Sbb00iU0NtI/AAAAAAAAC8I/K3gZkS_h34M/s320/Dale+Gribble.jpg

Closet_Skeleton
2009-10-02, 04:09 PM
Ok yeah he did bust out of the Sarlac and that was Kick ass. However counterpoint, he DID get himself eaten buy a hole in the ground. Also what hasn't happened in the expanded universe, really? If you are enough of a cynic you could call like ALL the expanded universe a giant soap opera. I mean things like, people having babies here, courtship of Leia there, MAUL IS BACK WITH ROBOT LEGS? Chewy dies...OH GOD WHY! anyway you see my point, agree or not you could make a strong argument comparing the expanded universe to a soap opera.

Isn't and never was canon.

Starscream
2009-10-02, 04:35 PM
The Spoony One did a funny article (http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/boba-fett/) about Boba, in which he basically declares him to be the most overrated character of all time.

Although I loved him as a kid (with no idea why, I guess his armor rocked), I have to agree. And I don't count the books, those were written after he became inexplicably popular.

Sholos
2009-10-02, 04:35 PM

Which one? The one guided almost entirely by the Force? Crazy stuff happening because of the Force isn't as unlikely as you think.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-02, 04:44 PM
For some reason I'm reminded of this:
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs44/i/2009/131/a/f/250000_Celebration_Comic_by_hadoukenchips.jpg

hamishspence
2009-10-02, 04:51 PM
the level of canon in the EU varies, but Maul getting robot legs was indeed in the not-canon section.

In Tales from Jabba's Palace- Jabba has Leia left in Boba's room as a present (being a git) and Boba, being the sort of guy who prides himself on his honor, tells her she is safe when she threatens "Touch me and one of us is going to die."

They spend the rest of the night arguing over the morality of the Rebellion, and the justice of what happened to Han- with Boba taking the view that Han is basically a drug-running crook who deserves what he got, and that the Rebellion do not have justification for their actions.

Lack of sleep might explain Boba's lapse in competance.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-02, 05:45 PM
Oh, the catgirls... the poor, poor catgirls... :smalltongue:

Stormthorn
2009-10-02, 05:52 PM
Oh, the catgirls... the poor, poor catgirls... :smalltongue:

What about catgirls now?

Moff Chumley
2009-10-02, 06:00 PM
It's a long-standing rule. Whenever you apply real-world logic to a fantasy setting, a catgirl dies. Especially if physics is involved.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-10-02, 06:04 PM
For some reason I'm reminded of this:
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs44/i/2009/131/a/f/250000_Celebration_Comic_by_hadoukenchips.jpg
Too much text. Bad art. Features asshats I wouldn't be proud to associate with.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-02, 06:13 PM

Yeah as soon as I saw the size of the text bubble I knew it was going to be crap.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-02, 06:16 PM
1) I'm not familiar of what that's from, but some people may like it. No reason to call it crap. (Okay, there may be, but you get the point.)
2) The entire text bubble was a justification for why Bobba, on that one individual day, was off his game. The length and convolution are part of the joke... It makes fun of Star Wars fanboys/girls.

The Glyphstone
2009-10-02, 06:22 PM
Which one? The one guided almost entirely by the Force? Crazy stuff happening because of the Force isn't as unlikely as you think.

More like Crazy stuff happening because Luke spent a Destiny Point, mirite?:smallamused:

Stormthorn
2009-10-02, 06:28 PM
Our real-world logic kills catgirls? Then what about when we dont use real world logic. Are we then the catgirls outselves? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndThenJohnWasAZombie?from=Main.YouAreTheDemons)

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-02, 06:34 PM
1) I'm not familiar of what that's from, but some people may like it. No reason to call it crap. (Okay, there may be, but you get the point.)
2) The entire text bubble was a justification for why Bobba, on that one individual day, was off his game. The length and convolution are part of the joke... It makes fun of Star Wars fanboys/girls.

You know why Bobba fell into the Sarlac pit? He was too busy checking out Leia.

How big would that have been on a paper? Oh snap, it's too small, and doesn't make fun of Star Wars fans enough. Oh man, what ever will I do to make fun of them, how ever will I find some sort of material to make fun of them? Oh my goodness, it's not like they don't make it easy or anything.

Panel 1: Jim: "Hey, Suzie, why did Bobba Fett fall into the sarlac pit?"
Suzie: "Probably because-"
Panel 2: Jim interrupting Suzie: "He was too busy staring at Leia!"
Panel 3: Suzie: "No, if you read the books, then you'll know that-
Panel 4 Jim interrupting Suzie again: "You've never had any sex that was consensual have you?"

Look at that. In four panels and a fraction of the text, I made a Carrie Fisher is hot reference, made fun of Star Wars fanboys/fangirls, and even made a Family Guy reference.
Crap...I'm just.....I'm just to good... Aren't I?

kpenguin
2009-10-02, 06:58 PM

Yeah, I didn't bother to read all of it. Poor presentation.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-02, 07:00 PM
Whatever... the main point is, if someone links to that sort of thing, they probably (not definitely) like it. Therefore, insulting it probably isn't the smartest thing in the world, for civilities' sake. I think I'm getting a bit preachy here, so I'll let it go. All I'm saying, let's keep GitP awesome, shall we? :smallbiggrin:

Linkavitch
2009-10-02, 07:45 PM
And that Han Solo is awesome.

...Also, it looks like someone isn't familiar with the Expanded Universe. :smalltongue:

My thoughts exactly. No matter how awesome Boba Fett is, he is nothing compared to the force of win that is a blind Han Solo with a spear.

littlequietguy
2009-10-03, 12:00 PM
how dare you critisize the expanded universe! :smalltongue:
and everything is a soap opera now...

I don't think soap exists in the Star Wars universe or else the expanded universe would have mentioned it.

Lord Loss
2009-10-03, 01:00 PM
In a book aproved by George Lucas (Some guide to Aliens) it is stated that Bobba escapes from the giant Ground-hole-plant thing. I'll find the name for that by tomorrow)

scsimodem
2009-10-03, 02:00 PM
I think Boba Fett fandom is probably the single most prolific symbol of everything that's wrong with the 'Expanded Universe.' When I first heard that there were books that took place after the setting of the movies, I thought to myself, "That's not a bad idea. We can see how the Rebellion transitions into a full-blown government. We can see Luke Skywalker reboot the Jedi Order. We can see how well this thing between Han and Leia works out, etc. This could be cool." Well, there was that, but then there was the other stuff. For every gem I've run across that sticks to the pattern in the movies, I've run into several puerile *cough* measuring contests between authors attempting to one-up each other or collections of fanboys' wet dreams turned into 'novel' form.

The most painful part of this whole thing, though, is how few of my friends understand why I don't like it. I'll talk about Boba Fett being dragged up from the Sarlaac and zombified so he could be turned into a Mary Sue for whoever was writing the book and how, as a literary device, his character could easily be replaced by somebody unique and with flaws (well, flaws other than being eaten by a giant worm and still being dead despite what a bunch of novelists decided to write down and publish), and I get was, "BUT HE DID [X] AND IS ROXOR AND YOU CAN ONLY KILL HIM IF YOU TAKE OFF HIS ARMOR ISN'T HE SO COOOOOOOOOL?!?!?!?!"

And he isn't the only one. Then there's the Sun Crusher.
The Sun Crusher appears in the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson. Designed and constructed within the Maw and overseen by Admiral Daala, the Sun Crusher has a nearly indestructible hull made of quantum-crystalline armor. The primary weapon is a torpedo launched into the heart of a star that causes it to go supernova, obliterating everything in the local solar system. The Sun Crusher is destroyed when Kyp Durron flies it into a black hole.
There is enough cheese in the latter three sentences of that summary to bury all of France. This is the author's attempt to one-up the Death Star. There's no other explanation for it. He doesn't even do it in an interesting way. It's only better than the Death Star because it's been phlebotomized.

Oh, and when they ran out of way to make The Empire return to threaten peace throughout the galaxy, the authors rubbed their creative juices together to find a proper antagonist. Was it something interesting, like a splinter faction of the Republic government? Maybe a group of planets declaring independence and committing crimes against humanity? Perhaps the Empire starts using the Rebellion's tactics of sabotage and surgical strikes, possibly employing full-blown terrorism. No, they introduce an alien race of force-immune phlobotomists using biotechnology. I've pretty much given up on the EU in its entirety.

I'm going to go lie down before I pop a vein.

snoopy13a
2009-10-03, 02:16 PM
[soapbox]

Yeah, I more or less agree with everything you said there. I also like how Kyp essentially commits genocide by destroying an entire solar system but he isn't punished because he turns away from the "the dark side" .

A criminal defense lawyer would love that theory:

Yes, my client may have robbed three banks, burned down ten buildings, and killed 12 innocent people but you have to understand that he had fallen to the dark side. Now that he has gone back to the light, he is no longer culpable for any previously committed crimes :smallsmile:

Basically, the precident is that a light jedi can convert to the dark side, do absolutely anything he or she wants to, and can escape punishment as long as they go back to the light before being caught. What a system! :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2009-10-03, 02:51 PM
You must admit, however, that the Thrawn trilogy was spectacular.

Yora
2009-10-03, 02:52 PM
I've pretty much given up on the EU in its entirety.
I like Thrawn and X-Wing, and the new KotOR comic. And that's about MY entire expanded universe. :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2009-10-03, 03:11 PM

What makes you think Han wasn't guided by the Force as well, mm?

[soapbox]
I think Boba Fett fandom is probably the single most prolific symbol of everything that's wrong with the 'Expanded Universe.' When I first heard that there were books that took place after the setting of the movies, I thought to myself, "That's not a bad idea. We can see how the Rebellion transitions into a full-blown government. We can see Luke Skywalker reboot the Jedi Order. We can see how well this thing between Han and Leia works out, etc. This could be cool." Well, there was that, but then there was the other stuff. For every gem I've run across that sticks to the pattern in the movies, I've run into several puerile *cough* measuring contests between authors attempting to one-up each other or collections of fanboys' wet dreams turned into 'novel' form.

But Luke gets green force lightning! GREEN! So you know it's good!

Also, Boba Fett was pretty cool in his first appearance (The Holiday Special!) from what I understand. Unfortunately, since citizens are not allowed to access that archive, I've never seen it. He also appeared in some of the "Classic Star Wars" comics that I believe were printed before his "death" and he was pretty cool in those as well.

Starscream
2009-10-03, 03:26 PM
Also, Boba Fett was pretty cool in his first appearance (The Holiday Special!) from what I understand. Unfortunately, since citizens are not allowed to access that archive, I've never seen it.

Youtube is clearly part of the rebel alliance ("and a traitor!") because it's on there.

Also, the Star Wars episode of the Muppet Show. That one needs to be seen to be believed. Mark Hamill is clearly clinically insane. No wonder they chose him to voice the Joker.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-04, 08:26 PM
phlobotomists
First off, it would be spelled phlebotomist.
Second, that word you keep using, I don't think it means what you think it means.
Phlebotomy is drawing blood. Soooooooo, help me out here.

skywalker
2009-10-04, 09:40 PM
First off, it would be spelled phlebotomist.
Second, that word you keep using, I don't think it means what you think it means.
Phlebotomy is drawing blood. Soooooooo, help me out here.

I think he is referring to phlebotinum (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinum).

Moff Chumley
2009-10-04, 09:48 PM
...AND I think this thread is dying/dead. Once people have started talking about the word phlebotomist, it's all over.

skywalker
2009-10-04, 10:35 PM
...AND I think this thread is dying/dead. Once people have started talking about the word phlebotomist, it's all over.

I find your lack of pants faith disturbing.

Vortling
2009-10-04, 10:36 PM
My thoughts exactly. No matter how awesome Boba Fett is, he is nothing compared to the force of win that is a blind Han Solo with a spear.
Plot armor trumps awesome NPC. It's just that simple.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-05, 01:50 AM
I think he is referring to phlebotinum (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinum).

TV tropes.....This thread is officially dying. Better get the remaining blood out of it.
Good thing I'm taking that phlebotomy class. Thus I make for a great phlebotomist for phlebotomizing.
PHLEBOTOMY!*

*Not to be confused with lobotomies which the Moose had a Ph.D in. He also has a PhD.d in kicking your @#$

skywalker
2009-10-06, 02:03 AM
TV tropes.....This thread is officially dying. Better get the remaining blood out of it.
Good thing I'm taking that phlebotomy class. Thus I make for a great phlebotomist for phlebotomizing.
PHLEBOTOMY!*

I'm sorry but it was the first thing that came up when I typed "phlebotinum" into Google... I'll try better next time.

Trog
2009-10-06, 09:06 AM
Meh. I don't know about any expanded universe stuff and don't really care to. Going off the movies alone I'd say he died that way for two reasons:

One: In the movies he wasn't that great in a fight compared to the heroes. Sure he was the smart one who tracked down his prey and he got in a few good shots and was certainly better than your run-of-the-mill stormtrooper but come on - he's going against the heroes of the movie which means he is destined to ultimately fail (cue some argument against this based on Fett's abilities in some book somewhere or about how he didn't really die, etc. which I don't care about so don't bother).

Two: The special effects and fighting sequences in the first three movies weren't so great. Sure they might have been at least passable for their time. Perhaps even good? But there was no computer generated anything as far as effects went. And certainly no fight choreography that could even be called good by today's standards. Take the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader and compare the fight in Ep. 3 vs. Ep. 4.

Even with that Bobba Fett is still cool in my book for being a bad ass in attitude and for being the only decent threat against the heroes of Ep. 4-6 that wielded a blaster. I do agree that the method of his death was stupid because setting someone up as a deadly threat and then killing him off with a klutzy accident and a burp joke doesn't properly carry through the threat angle to what should have been it's inevitable finish - a straight up fight where he gets beat fair and square. It was, in my opinion, an error in story judgment (Remember kids: just because it's Star Wars doesn't mean it's automatically good).

It is likely that same error which has spawned a good portion of the fan-boyism about him because he never really did face off in a one on one fight and so fans felt cheated. Thus cue all kinds of fan fiction both published and unpublished that try to write another end to a character that wasn't given his proper due on screen (not to mention the existence of Fett's dad in the prequels which is obviously Lucas trying to make up for the previous Fett death mistake). If he would have died properly he would have likely been much less popular today beyond the simple coolness of his character's attitude before he got properly pwned.

Rutskarn
2009-10-06, 12:16 PM
It's a long-standing rule. Whenever you apply real-world logic to a fantasy setting, a catgirl dies. Especially if physics is involved.

That's complete bull-derdash. With the exception of true surrealist settings (i.e, 8-Bit Theater), all settings fantasy or otherwise should be internally logical.

It's the height of laziness to say, "Lightsabers don't exist, so this character doesn't have to make sense." Yeah, lightsabers don't exist. Neither does Alderaan, neither does Bag End, neither do halflings. And neither do Ishmael, the Count of Monte Cristo, Mr. Darcy, or Huckleberry Finn. The Rookery doesn't exist, nor the cannery from The Jungle, nor the tired town of Maycomb, Alabama--yet we insist that the events within these places be logical.

Just because something's fictional doesn't mean it shouldn't make sense.

hamishspence
2009-10-06, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I more or less agree with everything you said there. I also like how Kyp essentially commits genocide by destroying an entire solar system but he isn't punished because he turns away from the "the dark side" .

A criminal defense lawyer would love that theory:

Yes, my client may have robbed three banks, burned down ten buildings, and killed 12 innocent people but you have to understand that he had fallen to the dark side. Now that he has gone back to the light, he is no longer culpable for any previously committed crimes :smallsmile:

Basically, the precident is that a light jedi can convert to the dark side, do absolutely anything he or she wants to, and can escape punishment as long as they go back to the light before being caught. What a system! :smalltongue:

I, Jedi novel comments on this.

The argument is that being a Jedi is his opportunity to atone- it is "hard labour" and he has to spend the rest of his life helping others.

The protagonist is still not entirely keen on Luke's solution, and points out that the "He was being mind-controlled by an undead Sith Lord" claim is not entirely true- he was influenced, but not controlled.

A bit like Vaarsuvius under the soul splice, actually.

varthalon
2009-10-06, 01:46 PM
I have a fairly deep dislike for author's using someone else's principle character in their own book, and this is a pretty prevalent problem in the expanded universe books. Now I don't mind some author like Stackpole and Allston coming along and going... "Hmmmm. Wedge Antillies... I could really make something of this character." Wedge wasn't really 'defined' prior to the x-wing books and so cudo's to them for making him something more than he was before and introducing several other new and memorable characters.

But when Crispin, Daley, Wolverton, Luceno, and a half dozen other authors all use Han Solo as their a principle character in their books with their own inconsistent personal little spins on his personality and background then it blurs who Han Solo is for the entire canon. Depending on the author Han is witty and sarcastic, a beggar, a gambler, an alcoholic, happy and go lucky, depressed, practical, impractical, willing to gun down someone in cold blood, nobility waiting for the other guy to shoot first. While some of that is a logical evolution of the character a bunch of it isn't.

My advice for any Star Wars authors out there. Make your own principle character from scratch or develop an undeveloped character... leave the already developed characters out of your story or in the background of your story. And if the original author of a character kills him off... then for gods sake, leave him dead!