PDA

View Full Version : Zombieland (film)

Giggling Ghast
2009-10-02, 12:01 PM
Basically a road trip movie with zombies and Woody Harrelson. Has a more dangerous combination ever existed?

I haven't seen this yet, but I dearly want to. I love a good zombie movie and all the advance reviews have been excellent beyond the standard calls of "Zombie movies are tired/I don't get zombies". Could it be the next Shaun of the Dead?

If you see it, post your thoughts.

MCerberus
2009-10-02, 12:03 PM
I've been on the fence about this movie. It looks like it could be a fun popcorn movie, but there are also a lot of potential pitfalls.

I'm not a big fan of the lead either.

Rutskarn
2009-10-02, 12:06 PM
My only concern is that it can't keep up the same energy it has in the trailers throughout the entire movie.

If it does, it'll be the greatest thing in recent memory.

Dienekes
2009-10-02, 12:09 PM
My only concern is that it can't keep up the same energy it has in the trailers throughout the entire movie.

If it does, it'll be the greatest thing in recent memory.

Friend saw an early premier, and said that yes it does. And then compared it evenly to Shaun of the Dead.

Giggling Ghast
2009-10-02, 12:11 PM
Natasha Eloi, one of the hosts on Space (that's the Canadian equivalent of the Sy Fy channel), said she saw it and wanted to see it again. I can't speak to her tastes other than she loves a lot of nerdy stuff.

And most of the early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes have been positive. That's at least encouraging.

Friend saw an early premier, and said that yes it does. And then compared it evenly to Shaun of the Dead.

Great to hear. :smallbiggrin:

warty goblin
2009-10-02, 12:24 PM
Seeing it tonight. I just got done with a test in complex analysis, and have a prob-stat exam later today. After that, unfettered B movies are all my brain is going to be good for.

Rutskarn
2009-10-02, 12:25 PM
Okay, just saw the Movie Bob review. I'm not going ANYWHERE to read about or hear about this movie until I've seen it, and I'm going to see it as soon as goddamned POSSIBLE.

Warpfire
2009-10-02, 11:34 PM
Before the movie started I was irritated and slightly depressed that the person I was going with canceled after I had bought my ticket. Ten minutes in, I was too busy laughing my ass off to think about anything but the movie. Seriously, this is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. I was laughing through a good majority of the movie, and when I wasn't the movie was still entertaining in one way or another.

I'd describe it more specifically, but I don't think I can really describe it. The trailers don't do it any justice, which is actually a good thing. A lot of times trailers spoil the funniest moments of the movie, but from what I saw they used more of the 'smile/chuckle' type jokes. Anyway, going off on a tangent.

See it! Now!

P.S. DO NOT READ EBERT'S REVIEW! He kind of ruins a scene that depends on surprise.

warty goblin
2009-10-03, 12:12 AM
I liked it. I thought the opening ten minutes or so were perhaps excessively gory, and weirdly more so than most of the rest of the movie. Sure there were blood spatters and similar throughout, but much less rending of flesh and oozing of innards than in the beginning.

I also liked how generally upbeat it remained throughout. Not cluelessly so like Shaun of the Dead, just genuinely cheerful. All in all nice, brainless entertainment.

Rutskarn
2009-10-03, 01:51 AM
Sh'yeah, this movie was friggin' fantastic. I didn't like how they kept getting outsmarted and robbed throughout the beginning, especially since I saw it coming myself, but other than that it was the best new movie I've seen within recent memory.

warty goblin
2009-10-03, 05:15 PM
I also liked the ending:

the way it was totally psyching me up for a scene in which everybody was torn limb from limb. I mean the music, the slow motion, Woody Harrelson locking himself into the concessions stand with the deliberate stack of ammo. It really had me going. And then everybody lived. It was really nice actually, since I rather liked the characters at that point.

Also, any movie in which somebody beats a zombie to death with a banjo has a lot to recommend it right there. Honestly, they need to add banjos to Left 4 Dead 2 right now.

Warpfire
2009-10-03, 07:02 PM
I agree about the ending,

I thought that at the very least Tallahassee was going to end up dying to save everyone else, especially since in my experience characters that lose children seem to have a pretty good chance of dying themselves at the end. The 'fake unhappy ending' thing gets done badly often, but I felt it worked for this movie.

warty goblin
2009-10-03, 07:06 PM
I agree about the ending,

I thought that at the very least Tallahassee was going to end up dying to save everyone else, especially since in my experience characters that lose children seem to have a pretty good chance of dying themselves at the end. The 'fake unhappy ending' thing gets done badly often, but I felt it worked for this movie.

Yeah, because this fake sad ending was awesome. I mean holed up in a cotton candy booth duel wielding massive handguns while doing gun kata against zombies? I think the only reason he didn't die is that death was scared off by the space time distorting waves of badass.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-03, 07:11 PM
Well, I have a bad cold and am liable to spray snot on anyone sitting near me if I laugh too hard. Should I see it tonight? :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2009-10-03, 10:11 PM
Well, I have a bad cold and am liable to spray snot on anyone sitting near me if I laugh too hard. Should I see it tonight? :smallbiggrin:

yes.

has not actually seen the show and doesn't really plan on it.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-03, 10:24 PM
I thought it was pretty good but I didn't like the ending.

I hate happy endings. I was hoping Tallahase would find the twinky and then get bitten.

You know he dies but not before getting his twinky.

Neko Toast
2009-10-03, 10:51 PM
I thought it was pretty good but I didn't like the ending.

I hate happy endings. I was hoping Tallahase would find the twinky and then get bitten.

You know he dies but not before getting his twinky.

What's wrong with that? I mean, it is a comedy. Comedy and that would just make it a drag.

As for my opinion of the movie: Two dismembered thumbs up. :smallbiggrin:

hanzo66
2009-10-03, 11:32 PM

Agreed, with Hot Fuzz-type action.

Just saw it and goddamn it was one of the best Zombie movies I've ever seen.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-04, 09:02 PM
GREAT movie! Definitely one of the best zombie flicks I've seen.

Also, the Bill Murray stuff was just HILARIOUS!

Dienekes
2009-10-04, 09:17 PM
finally saw the bugger. I can't exclaim how awesome it was. I'll just say Tallahassee's character of obviously satirizing action heroes and yet was more awesome than just about any of them.

Yeah, can't say anything that hasn't been said before, just that it was awesome.

Warpfire
2009-10-04, 09:29 PM
Like I said before, I think the happy ending work. One or more characters getting torn to pieces would have been just depressing.

And yes, Bill Murray was hilarious. The part of movie the theater I was in laughed the hardest at was when they re-enacted Ghostbusters. I'm glad I didn't read the reviews that spoiled his cameo (Ebert and some douche on RottenTomatoes.)

The critics that are all like, "I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but Shaun of the Dead had one of the best zombie comedies OF ALL TIME" are kind of irritating. Two very different movies in the same genre, in my opinion.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-10-04, 09:59 PM
This movie made me realize the genre that I truly enjoy is romance with lots of monsters.

Zombieland was amongst the best I've seen all year. I want to go watch it again. And that is 'rare'. I'm not even a zombie fan and hate gore... yet I loved the gratuitous destruction of the human body in this one.

Want to know the creepy part? I had a dream years and years ago where zombies attacked me... big fat ones. I took them out with garden shears. I'd never seen a zombie movie, but I chewed their butts UP. It was surreal seeing almost the exact same scenes here.

Moglorosh
2009-10-04, 10:15 PM
Cardio, Double Tap, Beware of Bathrooms

smellie_hippie
2009-10-06, 08:43 AM
This film was friggin fantastic!!!

I have plans to try and get a nice 'Zombie Night' party going very soon.

1. See the film.
2. Play 'Last Night on Earth'
3. Eat dinner with a dessert of jello in a brain mold.

win!!

Cleverdan22
2009-10-06, 10:11 AM
I saw it. It was completely amazing, and kept up the action as well as making you care about the characters. Also, had a nice original concept with Columbus' list. I really liked that bit.

Also, Tallahassee in the booth with the dual pistols. AMAZING.

Cleverdan22
2009-10-06, 10:13 AM
[spoiler]The critics that are all like, "I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but Shaun of the Dead had one of the best zombie comedies OF ALL TIME" are kind of irritating. Two very different movies in the same genre, in my opinion.

Yeah, they are very different movies, and the director has stated that he decided to make this because he saw Shaun of the Dead, so you have to expect a couple of similarities.

jmbrown
2009-10-06, 11:25 AM
The previews are misleading and make it out to be an action film just like the Inglorious Basterds previews.

It's not. There are action scenes, but the zombies themselves aren't an allegory for anything poignant or symbolic like most monsters in movies. Like Shawn of the Dead was a romantic comedy... with zombies, Zombieland is a throwback to the 70s/80s family road trip films... except with zombies.

If it were a simple road trip film, it would tanked but the zombies juxtapose the character's personal goals which are, frankly, unrealistic and stupid in an apocalyptic setting where survival is paramount. Columbus wants to reunite with the family he never cared about, Talahasse is looking for a twinky because of a scene from Ghostbusters, and Little Rock and Witchita want to return to the amusement park where they had their best childhood memories. Each of their goals is stupid from a survival situation but at the very end they realize what they were looking for are the things they took for granted before society fell. Survival doesn't matter if you can't appreciate the life you may instantly lose.

Great film.

Mr. Scaly
2009-10-06, 12:01 PM
The previews are misleading and make it out to be an action film just like the Inglorious Basterds previews.

Ah...the previews make it look like 'Grand Theft Auto meets George Romero.' And that's what it is, to my everlasting delight. :smallbiggrin:

Thrawn183
2009-10-06, 08:42 PM
Just got back from watching it. One of the greatest combinations of comedy and sheer terror I have ever seen.

When he went into the haunted house it was all I could do to just start screaming, "NO NO NO NO!"

Zocelot
2009-10-06, 09:56 PM
This is one of the better films that I've seen it a while, but I'm not entirely sure what I liked about it. It wasn't scary or funny to me, and the characters weren't great.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-10-07, 12:40 AM
I went in with very high expectations, and it was even better than I thought it would be. Nothing pretentious, nothing moving, but just pure fun. I'd gladly see it again.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-10-08, 12:34 AM
Its the feel good zombie film of the year!

Loved it!!

Thrawn183
2009-10-08, 09:22 PM
I have to say, if I ever woke up to find myself spooning with a zombie, I doubt any of my orifices would manage throughout the ordeal.

Lyesmith
2009-10-10, 05:30 PM
Saw it yesterday, loved it. Talahassee alone was worth the entry fee, to be honest.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-11, 10:29 PM
I managed to see it on Saturday. I honestly didn't think I'd like the movie that much, since I'm not a fan of scary movies, but this movie was too hilarious to be scary. Plus, all the characters kicked butt! While Talahassee was entertaining though, I think I had to like Colombus best.

I know now that if the zombies start biting people though, I'll likely be one of the first to get bitten. Rule #1: Cardio.

KnightDisciple
2009-10-11, 11:38 PM
Rule #2: Double Tap.

This movie was gold.

I liked it better than Shaun of the Dead, even.

This is the new golden standard for ZomCom.:smallbiggrin:

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-12, 02:57 AM
Going to see it tomorrow, hopefully.

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 10:20 AM
I went in with very high expectations, and it was even better than I thought it would be. Nothing pretentious, nothing moving, but just pure fun. I'd gladly see it again.

Same here.
I had high expectations of what I hoped it would be, but sort of decided I could "settle". I was overjoyed to find that it was just as good as I had hoped it would be.

Faulty
2009-10-12, 10:22 AM
It was wonderful. Not as deep as Shaun of the Dead I'd say, but still really likeable.

H. Zee
2009-10-12, 10:45 AM
Rule #2: Double Tap.

This movie was gold.

I liked it better than Shaun of the Dead, even.

This is the new golden standard for ZomCom.:smallbiggrin:

*raaaaage* :smalltongue:

Zombieland was awesome, I'll agree, but Shaun of the Dead just appealed to me more. I can watch Shaun of the Dead six times in a row and love it each time. Zombieland is good... but not as good. And it would definitely never have been filmed without Shaun of the Dead to inspire it, that much was obvious to me.

Faulty
2009-10-12, 11:11 AM
One problem I had was how Wichita was always wearing copious amounts of eye liner and eye shadow, as if she freaking scavanged for and regularly applied the stuff. I felt like they were sexing her up beyond realism and found it a tad bit offenesive.

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 12:11 PM
*raaaaage* :smalltongue:

Zombieland was awesome, I'll agree, but Shaun of the Dead just appealed to me more. I can watch Shaun of the Dead six times in a row and love it each time. Zombieland is good... but not as good. And it would definitely never have been filmed without Shaun of the Dead to inspire it, that much was obvious to me.

Shaun of the Dead is too caught up in referencing other zombie movies, plus it does the whole zombies-as-social-commentary thing endemic to the genre.

I really liked Shaun of the Dead, but as far as a comedy goes, it's a little too conventionally a zombie movie. Besides, Tallahassee was such an awesome character.

The humor in Zombieland is way different, too.

One problem I had was how Wichita was always wearing copious amounts of eye liner and eye shadow, as if she freaking scavanged for and regularly applied the stuff. I felt like they were sexing her up beyond realism and found it a tad bit offenesive.

I dunno, I kind of thought it funny.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-12, 12:15 PM
I really enjoyed Zombieland. :smallbiggrin: I'd put it as equal to Shaun of the Dead.

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 12:17 PM
I really enjoyed Zombieland. :smallbiggrin: I'd put it as equal to Shaun of the Dead.

I'd agree with that. They're both different films. Shaun of the Dead was a comedy about zombies (and by extension, zombie films); Zombieland was a comedy with zombies.

H. Zee
2009-10-12, 12:19 PM
Shaun of the Dead is too caught up in referencing other zombie movies, plus it does the whole zombies-as-social-commentary thing endemic to the genre.

I really liked Shaun of the Dead, but as far as a comedy goes, it's a little too conventionally a zombie movie. Besides, Tallahassee was such an awesome character.

The humor in Zombieland is way different, too.

Tallahassee was awesome, true, but to me, the other 3 characters? Were all very much meh. And stupid as hell to boot. Whereas I really liked all of Shaun of the Dead's characters, who were also stupid, but at least in an endearing way.

I think the difference between the two, fundamentally, is Zombieland is extremely American, and Shaun is very British. And when it comes down to it, I'm British. :smalltongue:

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 12:20 PM
I think the difference between the two, fundamentally, is Zombieland is extremely American, and Shaun is very British. And when it comes down to it, I'm British. :smalltongue:

An I'm America. That explains it. :smallbiggrin:

Re: Tallahassee
He wouldn't have been such a great character without the other personalities to foil him.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-12, 02:28 PM
Seconded. As I said, I think Columbus was actually the better character though. He's a lot more easy to relate to than Talahassee, and a lot more like what the average zombie apocalypse survivor might look like.

Warpfire
2009-10-12, 03:38 PM
An I'm America.

I didn't know Stephen Colbert posted here. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-10-12, 05:38 PM
Finally saw it today.

Excellent.

And any film with The Velvet Underground: Loaded on the soundtrack gains points instantly.

KnightDisciple
2009-10-12, 06:56 PM
Tallahassee was awesome, true, but to me, the other 3 characters? Were all very much meh. And stupid as hell to boot. Whereas I really liked all of Shaun of the Dead's characters, who were also stupid, but at least in an endearing way.

I think this is part of it.

I could see myself currently in Shaun characters.

Tallahasee is what I hope I'd be like.:smallbiggrin:

Also...Thank God for rednecks!

chiasaur11
2009-10-13, 12:27 PM
Well, since no-one else mentioned it:

What was up with Tallahassee saying "Only six people left in the universe and one of them is Bill **** Murray." (Sorry if the quote is slightly off. No reliable sources for the exact words were found.)
Or rather, what's up with the six.

Columbus: 1
Tallahassee: 2
Wichita: 3
Little Rock: 4
Bill Murray: 5.

So, who is number six? (Prisoner jokes aside)

H. Zee
2009-10-13, 12:50 PM
The old lady who kills the zombie with a piano?

No idea how Tallahassee would know of her though...

Myrmex
2009-10-13, 02:21 PM
Well, since no-one else mentioned it:

What was up with Tallahassee saying "Only six people left in the universe and one of them is Bill **** Murray." (Sorry if the quote is slightly off. No reliable sources for the exact words were found.)
Or rather, what's up with the six.

Columbus: 1
Tallahassee: 2
Wichita: 3
Little Rock: 4
Bill Murray: 5.

So, who is number six? (Prisoner jokes aside)

I believe it was more figurative than literal.

For instance, it was Bill Murray, not Bill ****ing Murray, who survived. I don't believe Mr. Murray, of Ghostbuster fame, has **** as a middle name.

JadedDM
2009-10-13, 03:02 PM
There were a number of hints that those five were not the only survivors. Tallahassee said that people in the east said the west was safe, and people in the west said the east was safe. This implies he has encountered other living people. Also, when Tallahassee and Columbus first met, they didn't express surprise at seeing another living person, but more fear/suspicion (neither seemed terribly surprised when they first ran into Wichita and Little Rock, either). This says to me there are other survivors out there.

So I think the 'six' was just a random number he pulled out of nowhere for the sake of exaggeration.

Supagoof
2009-10-13, 03:08 PM
This film was friggin fantastic!!!

I have plans to try and get a nice 'Zombie Night' party going very soon.

1. See the film.
2. Play 'Last Night on Earth'
3. Eat dinner with a dessert of jello in a brain mold.

win!!
Correction.

Epic Win!!

The movie kept the comedy running right through. It set the tone, and then kept the tone through the entire movie. For comparison to Shaun of the Dead, the two movies both do that very well. (Set tone, kept tone). It's a different for each movie, but that's fine. I think in fact that makes it even better, because now I have 2 comedy zombie movies to enjoy over and over again.

To compare the two to each other is unfair though because they both go for and have different styles of comedy. We can agree that they are great for their respective style, but comparing them is comparing Oranges to Limes. Both similar, but taste WAY different.

Icewalker
2009-10-13, 03:10 PM
Honestly I liked it a bit more than Shaun of the Dead. While Shaun of the Dead is a hilarious movie, I felt it began to drop off pretty badly at the end, just devolving into gore and drama which didn't work based on the comedic beginning.

Zombieland started with the overly gory, which kind of flowed well into the more consistent stable plot, and the end managed to be very dramatic along with funny. I think I related a lot more to the characters in it than I did in Shaun of the Dead, so that helped a lot with the drama aspect.

Don't get me wrong, they're both awesome movies.

Hawriel
2009-10-13, 03:13 PM
I believe it was more figurative than literal.

For instance, it was Bill Murray, not Bill ****ing Murray, who survived. I don't believe Mr. Murray, of Ghostbuster fame, has **** as a middle name.

The 6 peaple line was an exaggerated number expressing just how few peaple still exist.

One of Tallahassee's line was Bill ****ING Murry. So there is no need to be a buz kill on name corrections.

Myrmex
2009-10-13, 03:45 PM
The 6 peaple line was an exaggerated number expressing just how few peaple still exist.

That's what I said.

One of Tallahassee's line was Bill ****ING Murry. So there is no need to be a buz kill on name corrections.

You totally missed the point of that.

daggaz
2009-10-14, 02:49 AM
Hahhaha, saw it last night, laughed my ass off consistently. BM was incredible, as always... I love his humble buddha thank-you's (he does that in real life when fans praise him), so sad to see him offed.

And daaaayum, woody harrelson has come a looong ways. Tennesse would kick the livin' crap outta woody from cheers. Plus... crap, I gotta buy me one of them hats. F'ing COOL hat.

All in all a great movie, tho its a bit more superficial than Shawn of the Dead plot and comedy-wise.. but then again, its a freaking road movie. What did you expect??

Also, Columbus was great, reminded me a bit of napolean dynamite, was it the same actor? Finally, agree on the complaint about the girl's constantly overdone eyeshadow and eyeliner. Contrived, unrealistic, shallow. Too bad.

All in all a great movie tho.

Trai
2009-10-14, 12:06 PM
Saw it last week. I saw Shaun of the Dead when it was originally in theaters (in the US) and fairly little-known, so it holds a special place in my heart. Admittedly, I didn't think Zombieland was as funny, but it had its good parts. Namely, Bill Murray and "THANK GOD FOR REDNECKS!"

It was a fun movie, and my roommate and I liked it, but it wasn't necessarily ground-breakingly original. Shaun of the Dead was better, in my opinion.

I also agree with my roommate's statement that Jesse Eisenburg (Columbus)'s role seemed exactly like something Michael Cera would play, but it ended up coming off like they couldn't get Michael Cera and so got Eisenburg instead. Hollywood has to stop with this whole "awkward guy" thing; it's getting annoying.

Harr
2009-10-14, 01:28 PM
Saw it yesterday. Thought it was awesome. The part in BM's mansion and his appearance had me in stitches all the way through. And the end sequence was the most spot-on "end with a bang" you could have asked for.

I don't really care which one is 'better', I just wish we had more movies like this one and Shaun.

chiasaur11
2009-10-14, 01:33 PM
Saw it yesterday. Thought it was awesome. The part in BM's mansion and his appearance had me in stitches all the way through. And the end sequence was the most spot-on "end with a bang" you could have asked for.

I don't really care which one is 'better', I just wish we had more movies like this one and Shaun.

Too true, mate, too true.

Oddly, I'm not sure if I'd want a sequel for this particular film. I mean, I liked it, but the plot seems kinda...

static from here on out if they avoid disrupting the things that make it so fun.

Tiktakkat
2009-10-14, 01:48 PM
Saw it yesterday.
Loved it.
I like Bill Murray's dramatic roles too!

evisiron
2009-10-14, 01:50 PM
Saw it with a few friends, loved it. Great bit of fun black comedy. :smallbiggrin:

Godskook
2009-10-14, 01:56 PM
Oddly, I'm not sure if I'd want a sequel for this particular film. I mean, I liked it, but the plot seems kinda...

static from here on out if they avoid disrupting the things that make it so fun.

Agreed. Too many good movies have been ruined by bad sequels(or third or fourth in the series).

Cleverdan22
2009-10-14, 02:06 PM
Agreed. Too many good movies have been ruined by bad sequels(or third or fourth in the series).

This was originally slated to be a television show. I think it would have worked well, probably discussing one or two rules in each episode. More characters would crop up along the way. Prolly get a zombie kill of the week every few episodes or so as well.

Still, worked great as a movie as well. However, dividing up this movie and Shaun of the Dead feels...weird. Shaun of the Dead was a romantic comedy with zombies, while this one was "**** some zombies up while throwing in interesting characters." Of course Shaun of the Dead was deeper, it was supposed to be, this one just kills some zombies. And I don't have a bit of a problem with either one.

chiasaur11
2009-10-14, 03:37 PM
This was originally slated to be a television show. I think it would have worked well, probably discussing one or two rules in each episode. More characters would crop up along the way. Prolly get a zombie kill of the week every few episodes or so as well.

Actually, I was thinking about the whole TV show bit, and I think, if you cut the Bill Murray scenes, you got your pilot right there, Bill Murray as a later episode...

Half an hour, and I'd be tuning in every week.

daggaz
2009-10-14, 03:43 PM
Actually, I was thinking about the whole TV show bit, and I think, if you cut the Bill Murray scenes, you got your pilot right there, Bill Murray as a later episode...

Half an hour, and I'd be tuning in every week.

Dude great. Thanks. Thanks a lot. You just made it sound awesome, so of course Fox will preemptively cancel it. Cant you just keep a good thing to yourself for once?? :smallmad::smallwink:

chiasaur11
2009-10-14, 03:45 PM
Dude great. Thanks. Thanks a lot. You just made it sound awesome, so of course Fox will preemptively cancel it. Cant you just keep a good thing to yourself for once?? :smallmad::smallwink:

Fox can't cancel what already isn't going to be a TV show.

Yet. (They're working on it.)

Dienekes
2009-10-14, 05:13 PM
Hey, I was thinking about the movie

Does anyone know why Tallahassee paints numbers on his cars?

Tavar
2009-10-14, 05:24 PM
Hey, I was thinking about the movie

Does anyone know why Tallahassee paints numbers on his cars?

I think they mention it in the movies(or it might have been my friend), but it's Dale Earnhardt's number.

JadedDM
2009-10-14, 08:25 PM
No, they never mentioned it in the film, and a lot of people I know up here in Washington didn't get that joke. But I grew up in Mississippi, so I did. I still remember when he died. Nearly everybody in the state painted the number '3' on their mud-encrusted, rebel flag adorned pick-up trucks.

BHodges3
2009-10-16, 10:33 AM
The thing about the eye-shadow...

I really think it is one of those things where she knows that life as she has always known it is over... and her actual life could be over at any time. It seems like she wants to maintain some semblance of "normalcy" by staying all prettied up at all times... and the extreme situation she is in ends up carrying through to her application of the actual makeup.

I know it seems like I am reading alot into it, but you also have to remember that before the infection, she and her sister were professional hustlers... using her looks was one of her key tools. Now that the world is a wasteland, you never know when you may come across some lonely man that may have something you need. Case in point... Columbus.

Thrawn183
2009-10-16, 07:56 PM
Yeah, not only is there a use for the make up, but it's not like there wouldn't be a whole lot of it just laying around.

JadedDM
2009-10-16, 08:42 PM
All four of the main characters seemed pretty clean and such, but that is just a side-effect of any Hollywood movie.

Mewtarthio
2009-10-16, 11:52 PM
The only thing that bothered me was, right after stealing the first truck, the girls complain about how long it's been since their last shower. Their hair looks perfectly clean. Heck, they even end up styling it later on (though, granted, it's possible that Bill Murray had his own private running water).

By the way, is that Bill Murray's real house?

Erothayce
2009-10-17, 03:34 AM
Holy monkeys I saw this last night with my girl and some friends and I was thoroughly amused and impressed. I loved it and can't wait for it to come out on dvd so I can get it.

Jack Squat
2009-10-17, 09:18 AM
The only thing that bothered me was, right after stealing the first truck, the girls complain about how long it's been since their last shower. Their hair looks perfectly clean. Heck, they even end up styling it later on (though, granted, it's possible that Bill Murray had his own private running water).

It's a comedy movie, give it some slack. The biggest thing that bugged me was that they didn't really pay attention to the need for food and water to survive. But that's rarely shown in any sort of movie, so I let it slide.

By the way, is that Bill Murray's real house?

From Wikipedia "Murray has homes in Los Angeles, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts,[21] Charleston, South Carolina, and Rockland County, New York, just outside of New York City.[22]"

I'd say no, based on it saying he has a house in LA and not in Beverly Hills (though Bev Hills is in LA County).

Giggling Ghast
2009-10-19, 11:48 PM
I FINALLY got to see this movie. It was friggin' awesome.

I have no issue with the ending, you-know-who's cameo had me in stitches, the jokes were all funny and I liked the whole cast. Also, Tallahassee at the end there? EPIC WIN.

The only down side was that I'd watched too many of the previews and had some of the movie spoiled for me.