PDA

View Full Version : The Madspark Eccentric [3.5 PrC]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-02, 01:37 PM
Madspark Eccentric

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/178/0/1/Mechanic_by_salamandros.jpg
Helmutt Grundrigg, a Madspark Eccentric, beginning to enter a Surge of Inspiration.

Madspark Eccentrics are, as their name implies, quite mad. However, where most descend into a raving fury when their primal emotions surface, the Madspark Eccentric slips easily into a state of almost zen-like inspiration, where nothing matters but the ideas bubbling to the forefront of his brain, eager to escape into the world. A Madspark Eccentric in such a state works like a man inspired, creating impossible devices in mere seconds. Yet these creations are powered as much by his belief as by his skill, for they quickly begin to falter, eventually becoming worthless chunks of useless metal.

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements
To become a Madspark Eccentric, a character must meet the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-lawful.
Feats: Any 1 Item Creation feat.
Skills: Craft (any) 13 ranks, Use Magic Device 13 ranks.
Special: Must have the Rage class feature.
Special: Must have the Retain Essence class feature.

Class Skills
The Madspark Eccentric’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use MAgic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Infusions
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Crazed Genius, Surge of Inspiration|+1 level of existing infusion using class
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Rage Against the Machine, Rage 1/day|+1 level of existing infusion using class
3rd|+1|+1|+3|+3|Improved Surge of Inspiration|+1 level of existing infusion using class
4th|+2|+1|+4|+4|Greater Crazed Genius, Rage 2/day|+1 level of existing infusion using class
5th|+2|+1|+4|+4|Greater Surge of Inspiration|+1 level of existing infusion using class[/table]

Infusions (Sp): Each level of Madspark Eccentric grants you an increase in caster level, extra infusions known, and extra infusions per day as if you had also gained a level in whatever infusion using class you belonged to before you entered the Madspark Eccentric prestige class. Additionally, your effective caster level for item creation is equal to the combined sum of your Artificer levels + your Madspark Eccentric levels + 2. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Crazed Genius (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, when raging, you gain a +4 bonus to Intelligence and Charisma, and the save DCs of any item ability you activate increase by +1 (these effects are in addition to the normal effects granted by raging). The duration of your rage is equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier or 5 + your Intelligence modifier (whichever is greater). Additionally, you gain 1 temporary use of any charged or limited use-activated ability of any item you possess (the Madspark Eccentric must pay the XP cost of a spell for using any item that duplicates a spell with such a cost). If unused, these charges expire at the end of your rage.

When raging, you keep a modicum of control over your mental abilities: you retain the ability to use the Use Magic Device skill, and you can use magic items freely, so long as those magic items are not spell completion items.

At 4th level, the bonuses granted increase. When raging, you gain a +6 bonus to Intelligence and Charisma, and the save DCs of any item ability you activate increase by +2. Additionally, any charged item you possess gains 3 temporary charges, and any per-encounter or per-day abilities of items you possess refresh fully (the Madspark Eccentric must pay the XP cost of a spell for using any item that duplicates a spell with such a cost). At the end of your rage, the items are returned to their pre-rage state.

Surge of Inspiration (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, when raging, you may take any number of full-round actions to create a temporary magic item. For each round you spend in this manner, you gain 5,000 crafting points that you may devote towards crafting any single item, spending crafting points on a 1-to-1 ratio with the base gold piece cost of the item (For example: crafting a 10,000 gp item would take 2 rounds and 10,000 crafting points, and crafting a 45,000 gp item would take 9 rounds and 45,000 crafting points). You may create both mundane and magical items in this fashion, but you may not create any item with a caster level higher than your effective caster level, nor an item of larger than Large size (so a Medium creature could construct a temporary Golem, but not a suspension bridge). If the item requires spells as part of the creation process, you must make Use Magic Device checks as usual, gaining one attempt per round spent in construction. You are not required to expend any raw materials or XP in the creation of these items. Items created in this fashion last for 1 minute per class level before it ceases to function completely. When an item ceases to function, any effect with a continuing duration explicitedly generated by that item also ceases to function (so a Wall of Fire would stop, but a bonfire caused by the Wall of Fire would continue).

There are a few additional rules to this ability: items duplicating spells requiring an XP cost must have the XP cost paid in full for each use of the spell in question, and items requiring such a spell (such as a Tome of Clear Thought) must have the XP cost paid at the time of creation. Spells with expensive material components cannot be duplicated unless the component in question is on hand, and, if the spell demands, one such component is consumed for each use of the spell in question. For example: a Ring of Three Wishes will cost the Madspark Eccentric 5,000XP for each wish he makes, while a Tome of Clear Thought will require him to spend 25,000XP--5,000XP per wish used to create the Tome.

At 3rd level you gain 10,000 gp worth of crafting points per round, and items created in this fashion last for 5 minutes per class level.

At 5th level you gain 20,000 gp worth of crafting points per round, and items created in this fashion lasts for 10 minutes per class level.

Rage Against the Machine (Su): As a standard action, beginning at 3rd level, you may touch an unattended magic item and expend a use of your rage ability. If you do so, the item is immediately destroyed as if you had used your Retain Essence ability on it, and you gain the temporary XP for use in crafting. Alternatively, you may make a melee touch attack against a creature of the Construct type and expend a use of your rage ability. If the attack is successful, the Construct must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your Character Level + your Intelligence modifier) or be instantly destroyed.

Rage (Ex): At 2nd level, you gain an additional use of your rage ability per day.

At 4th level, you gain a second additional use of your rage ability per day.

Lord_Gareth
2009-10-02, 01:47 PM
The only concern is an obvious one; item explots. Mind you, with only 20,000 available for temp items, that makes it a little less worrysome, but other than that, I think it's a solid gish type. When am I gonna see some of those Harrowed feats/PrCs you were talking about, ya punk?

Eldan
2009-10-02, 01:53 PM
May I just add that you are definitely one of the coolest people I know, Djinn? Now I have to dig up my old gnome barbarian again.

Cieyrin
2009-10-02, 02:51 PM
May I just add that you are definitely one of the coolest people I know, Djinn? Now I have to dig up my old gnome barbarian again.

Indeed, this reminds me of a Gnomish Ragemage I once had as well. This is perhaps a better way of presenting him than that version was.

I do have a couple of thoughts on the class, though. Does Mad Genius replace the normal Rage bonuses or do you get Mad Genius's bonuses in addition to normal Rage?

Also, either your numbers are off or your examples are in Surge of Inspiration, as the examples seems to do 2000 craft points per round, instead of 5000.

Also, this perfectly explains Girl Genius' Sparks! Well done on that front!:smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2009-10-02, 03:00 PM
Hmm. I wonder if I can combine this with the Effigy Master to build combat robots in six seconds...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-02, 03:02 PM
I do have a couple of thoughts on the class, though. Does Mad Genius replace the normal Rage bonuses or do you get Mad Genius's bonuses in addition to normal Rage?

In addition, although it's unlikely to be using both at once...unless you build a suit of combat armor and then kick ass.

Also, either your numbers are off or your examples are in Surge of Inspiration, as the examples seems to do 2000 craft points per round, instead of 5000.

Oops. The examples are off. My bad. Thanks for spotting that!

Hmm. I wonder if I can combine this with the Effigy Master to build combat robots in six seconds...

Yes. Yes you could. :smallbiggrin:

sigurd
2009-10-02, 03:03 PM
Very Cool

Love to hear how it does in play though. In stories the spark can be oddball enough to be humorous but still win the day. In games I wonder if players will simply make and remake their favourite items.

Sigurd

Cieyrin
2009-10-02, 03:14 PM
Oh! Also, does Mad Genius remove the inability to use magic items that require a command word, spell trigger or spell completion? I figure the command word and maybe trigger would make it, though spell completion is still probably out.

Vadin
2009-10-02, 03:23 PM
Don't forget hyu hat!

Adumbration
2009-10-02, 03:28 PM
The only concern is an obvious one; item explots. Mind you, with only 20,000 available for temp items, that makes it a little less worrysome, but other than that, I think it's a solid gish type. When am I gonna see some of those Harrowed feats/PrCs you were talking about, ya punk?

20 000 per round. Which means that at 5th level, you can craft an item with a price ranging from 160 000 gps up to whatever shenanigans you can come up with by increasing your intelligence.

Still, the duration is a solid 50 minutes maximum, so I'm not sure if it's completely OP... Increase the prequisites a bit, make it a lategame prestige class?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-02, 03:35 PM
20 000 per round. Which means that at 5th level, you can craft an item with a price ranging from 160 000 gps up to whatever shenanigans you can come up with by increasing your intelligence.

Still, the duration is a solid 50 minutes maximum, so I'm not sure if it's completely OP... Increase the prequisites a bit, make it a lategame prestige class?

Hmmm...you might have a point. Still, that item would be limited by whatever spells you'd have available at the time, so it couldn't be TO powerful. But perhaps the requirements do need to be increased a bit.

Thoughts, everyone?

Also, to address Cieyrin's point: the only items you couldn't use are spell completion items.

Eldan
2009-10-02, 03:36 PM
I see one possible abuse now, thinking about it: this class could, technically, at high levels and with sufficient intelligence, build tomes of X, to increase it's own stats. Complicated, but possible with temporary intelligence boosts and items. Cheesy: use two actions to build a headband of intelligence +6 first, to increase duration.

Edit:
Also, looking at the picture again, where can I find stats for a chainsaw sword?

Lappy9000
2009-10-02, 03:37 PM
Don't forget hyu hat!Eet iz a vary nice hat.

Wonderful class Djinn! I never would have thought of combining the artificer with the barbarian, but the results are fantastic. However, I kinda want to smother you for the class feature "Rage Against the Machine" :smallbiggrin:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-02, 03:43 PM
Alright. Entry level raised to 10 to prevent possible abuse of the level 5 power. That better?

I see one possible abuse now, thinking about it: this class could, technically, at high levels and with sufficient intelligence, build tomes of X, to increase it's own stats. Complicated, but possible with temporary intelligence boosts and items. Cheesy: use two actions to build a headband of intelligence +6 first, to increase duration.

True...hadn't thought of Tomes. I just edited in rules about items requiring spells with expensive material components or XP costs. That work better?

Edit:
Also, looking at the picture again, where can I find stats for a chainsaw sword?

d20 Modern has the chainsaw...it can't be that hard to...*plots* :smallbiggrin:

Wonderful class Djinn! I never would have thought of combining the artificer with the barbarian, but the results are fantastic.

Why thanks! I'll be honest...I made this class mainly to see if it was possible to combine the two, since for ErrantX's Hybrid Theory contest I was playing around with strange combination. More of my thoughts will be making their way to the boards in the days and weeks ahead.

However, I kinda want to smother you for the class feature "Rage Against the Machine" :smallbiggrin:

Oh come on. What else was I supposed to call it? :smalltongue:

...I want to smother me for it as well, actually. But, once it popped into my head, I had no choice. :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2009-10-02, 03:50 PM

...I want to smother me for it as well, actually. But, once it popped into my head, I had no choice. :smallbiggrin:S'okay, I would have done the same thing :smallbiggrin:

TwistofCain
2009-10-02, 08:01 PM
So, the new rage bonuses stack with normal rage bonuses, or do they replace the normal benefits?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-02, 09:18 PM
So, the new rage bonuses stack with normal rage bonuses, or do they replace the normal benefits?

They stack. I should have specified, and I will do so now.

Thanks for catching that!

DragoonWraith
2009-10-02, 09:33 PM

...I want to smother me for it as well, actually. But, once it popped into my head, I had no choice. :smallbiggrin:

Hahaha, and here I was, theorizing that you made this class just so you could name something Rage Against the Machine!

Xefas
2009-10-02, 10:32 PM
This class is genius. I'm kind of at a loss for what else to say.

Well, just to add some kind of constructive input, I don't see any skill points or class skills.

Eldan
2009-10-02, 10:48 PM
Actually, is it a bad sign that the first thought I have whenever I see a class like this is "how can I use this in a gestalt game"?

Hmm. Barbarian/Artificer/Effigy Master/Madspark Eccentric on one side, what on the other...

... and so on. I think I have a problem.

Cieyrin
2009-10-02, 11:25 PM

Well, just to add some kind of constructive input, I don't see any skill points or class skills.

Damn, I was awed by the awesome that I totally missed a lack of skills and skill points. I feel silly now.:smallfrown:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-02, 11:28 PM

After this sort of praise, I'm at a loss of how to respond! This is perhaps the greatest praise I've ever received on a class...thanks!

:smallredface: Oops. Fixed. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, is it a bad sign that the first thought I have whenever I see a class like this is "how can I use this in a gestalt game"?

Hmm. Barbarian/Artificer/Effigy Master/Madspark Eccentric on one side, what on the other...

If you give me a couple of days, you'll be able to put Incarnate/Artificer/Soul Tinker on the other side to flesh it out...:smallbiggrin:

Also, I updated the saves...it should have had a strong Will save as well...

Eldan
2009-10-02, 11:36 PM
If you give me a couple of days, you'll be able to put Incarnate/Artificer/Soul Tinker on the other side to flesh it out...:smallbiggrin:

May I just say
"WHEEEE!"
and hop around like a five year old girl? :smallbiggrin:

Though I still haven't learned how to use Incarnum.

TwistofCain
2009-10-03, 03:34 AM
I do have to say I love this class. I think I'll need to use it in the game I'm gonna start. It's crazy stuff like this that gets my D&D gland all a-flutter.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-03, 09:55 AM
While i like the idea behind Rage Against the Machine isn't it a little bit overpowered to have a no-save touch attack that can destroy any item a bunch of times per day at any level, let alone 15th?

I'm mentally thinking of it more of him wresting it from the hands of his opponent and letting out a cry of rage as he reduces it down to its component matter so perhaps he should have to hold it in both hands and spend a Full action to do it?

Maybe its not as powerful as it sounds [i don't have my Eberron book handy] but the ability to instant destroy a dude's sword, no save seems a bit...yeah.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-03, 10:06 AM
While i like the idea behind Rage Against the Machine isn't it a little bit overpowered to have a no-save touch attack that can destroy any item a bunch of times per day at any level, let alone 15th?

I'm mentally thinking of it more of him wresting it from the hands of his opponent and letting out a cry of rage as he reduces it down to its component matter so perhaps he should have to hold it in both hands and spend a Full action to do it?

Maybe its not as powerful as it sounds [i don't have my Eberron book handy] but the ability to instant destroy a dude's sword, no save seems a bit...yeah.

You may have a point...I may change it to read "unattended item." The idea is that the Madspark Eccentric could, for example, close in on the powerfully magical Alter of Vecna that is keeping the skeletons invincible (to name a random scenario), rage, and tear the thing apart in seconds.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-03, 10:08 AM
You may have a point...I may change it to read "unattended item." The idea is that the Madspark Eccentric could, for example, close in on the powerfully magical Alter of Vecna that is keeping the skeletons invincible (to name a random scenario), rage, and tear the thing apart in seconds.

See, the retaining essence bit makes me think that he somehow bashes his way through the outer enchantments [or casing] of the item and rips the batteries and hard disk out [stuffs in bag].

Part of me thinks for that reason the destruction is spiffy but maybe he gets a given amount of craft pool per Full action spent tearing it apart in a manly fashion?

Violet Octopus
2009-10-03, 11:07 AM
This class is wonderfully bizarre - though I think they should have to carry around a bag of random parts: lodestones, springs, pieces of wood and metal. Nothing expensive, more like a jumbo-sized spell component pouch. Flavour-wise, I just don't see artificers conjuring raw materials out of nowhere.

Unfortunately the people I play with are all a bit too munchkiny or don't have sufficient knowledge of the available magic items/spells to use this without breaking/slowing down combat, but I'd love to use this for a recurring antagonist when I run my long-promised campaign.

Eee! So you are making the Soul Tinker! I eagerly anticipate it :D

Eldan
2009-10-03, 11:15 AM
Parts? Parts?! FRICKIN' PARTS?! :smallfurious:

I don't need no "parts"! I'm powerful enough to build this damn robot here by yelling at reality until it forms out of raw luminiferous aether and duck tape!*

*Edit: Technically, this is a mistake on my part, I mêant to write duct tape. However, Duck Tape is an awesome idea, and therefore it was always my intention.

Now I'm wondering about the alignment requirements... does that mean that Klaus Wulfenbach can't be one of these guys? He always struck me as Lawful evil-ish.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-03, 11:30 AM
I don't know, making a wand of lightning bolt by getting a stick, magically melting a hunk of metal over it (not through heating, more like turning it to quicksilver and back), and making a magnet spin around it like an ioun stone, all in 6 seconds, sounds awesome to me in its own way.

It's only a difference in preferred fluff, apart from 20 gp or so in odds and ends and the possibility of having your things confiscated.

IIRC, both duct and duck are valid. Duck because it's waterproof, thus "flows off a duck's back" Though tape involving actual ducks would be amazing. Perhaps gestalt this with something granting a familiar, which can cast mending?

Cieyrin
2009-10-03, 12:02 PM
Now I'm wondering about the alignment requirements... does that mean that Klaus Wulfenbach can't be one of these guys? He always struck me as Lawful evil-ish.

Klaus has a Lawful bent but no true Spark could be truly orderly, so he's Neutral Evil at best.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-03, 01:05 PM
This class is wonderfully bizarre - though I think they should have to carry around a bag of random parts: lodestones, springs, pieces of wood and metal. Nothing expensive, more like a jumbo-sized spell component pouch. Flavour-wise, I just don't see artificers conjuring raw materials out of nowhere.

This was something I was debating, but I was hesitant to include it...perhaps a default of requiring materials, with a feat to allow creation from nothing, might be a better way to go about it.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-03, 01:17 PM
*Edit: Technically, this is a mistake on my part, I mêant to write duct tape. However, Duck Tape is an awesome idea, and therefore it was always my intention.

Interestingly enough, Duck Tape is actually a brand here in the UK; it's a kind of heavy, slightly padded waterproofing tape that's useful for making scenery and fixing pipes...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-03, 05:31 PM
Quick update: Rage Against the Machine now can only target an unattended object, but can also now be used to destroy Constructs.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-03, 05:38 PM
Quick update: Rage Against the Machine now can only target an unattended object, but can also now be used to destroy Constructs.

Perhaps two uses of Rage should be expended for larger constructs or some kind of scaling? I know that an Iron Golem is less likely to fail than a Homonculus, but not much less.

Also, traditionally, Prestige class save effects are based on the full Class Level rather than 1/2 character level. It's minor but in this case, it would make the ability seem less overpowered to me without making it underpowered...

Draken
2009-10-03, 05:40 PM
Someone said this was genius, but this is mad genius Djinn.

I keep a favorites folder of GitP homebrews and added this one to it.

Nitpick: Rage against the machine shows up as gained at 2nd level on the table, but the text says it is gained at 3rd level.

There is a rule that text trumps table somewhere I don't recall now, but you should adress this.

Edit: One more thing. Maybe you should clarify if Rage against the Machine can be used while raging. Since doing so would be a good idea when trying to instagib a construct, as the +4 int bolsters the save DC.
Heh. Almost made me believe that constructs actualy have a chance of making any saves, Warforged not counting.

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-03, 05:48 PM
Oh, i just noticed that part of the reason for an earlier debate was Djinn's use of the Tome of Clear Thought in the example:

Ironically, there's no point in creating one of these items as they require a week of study to use and the item doesn't last anywhere near that long.

Problem solved!

edit: One truly bastard thing to do though would be to create a temporary Book of Vile Darkness and open it at someone...

No! Intelligence and Wisdom and Charisma damage, oh it burns!

Eldan
2009-10-04, 05:07 AM
Ooh. Evil. I like it... but isn't the BoVD an artefact with no gold cost?

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-04, 05:30 AM
Ooh. Evil. I like it... but isn't the BoVD an artefact with no gold cost?

Might well be. I was going on a half remembered point that it was a minor artifact and thus had the generic 200,000gp tag that they all seem to have.

Still, my point about Tomes stands.

Eldan
2009-10-04, 06:06 AM
Yeah. Guess I forgot that one because I never actually found a tome in my entire career as a DnD-player. I only ever wrote them on the sheets of high-level characters as "previously read". :smalltongue:

lightningcat
2009-10-30, 08:02 PM
I love the class, but dislike Artificers.

So conflicted.

Fizban
2009-10-30, 11:19 PM
This one goes on the "BEST CLASSES EVAR!" list.

Oh jeeze. Oh god. Oh no.

Combine with Krimm's Gunman subtype. Rage, build giant mecha out of aether and duct tape, win everything ever.

imp_fireball
2009-10-31, 04:08 AM
I wonder if Baird had to take this class to pull off his miraculous full-body 15 second repairs in GoW 2?

Ironically, there's no point in creating one of these items as they require a week of study to use and the item doesn't last anywhere near that long.

I wonder if a GM would allow the creation of custom items? :P

Cieyrin
2009-11-01, 10:51 AM
I wonder if a GM would allow the creation of custom items? :P

Would depend on what you mean by custom. If that means combining existing magic items into a single slot, I wouldn't see a problem with that. Making brand new-fangled items on the fly would seem to me to make combat drag, as that's a more complicated process and I don't think would be appropriate.

imp_fireball
2009-11-01, 12:31 PM
Would depend on what you mean by custom. If that means combining existing magic items into a single slot, I wouldn't see a problem with that. Making brand new-fangled items on the fly would seem to me to make combat drag, as that's a more complicated process and I don't think would be appropriate.

.... It's a rhetorical question.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-01, 12:56 PM
Not to rush you or anything, but I'm really excited to see that one!

Cieyrin
2009-11-01, 08:52 PM
.... It's a rhetorical question.

That wasn't exactly rhetorical, actually...