PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how far does "mind-affecting" go? [3.5]

OMG PONIES
2009-10-02, 04:21 PM
So, I'm now on a quest to get as many glorious bonuses as possible for one of my characters, and I have a question:

Beyond morale bonuses, are there any mind-affecting bonuses that would be useless for an undead character? I'm thinking of insight, competence, synergy, luck, sacred/profane, circumstance, etc.

I don't know if any of these are considering mind-affecting (except morale). Also, wise optimizers, are there any types of bonuses that I'm missing?

Douglas
2009-10-02, 04:23 PM
None of those bonus types are inherently mind-affecting, but some of the effects that can grant them might be.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-02, 04:32 PM
What about morale bonuses? I thought they were mind-affecting and thus won't affect undead, which is why there's that feat that lets bardic music buff your undead friends.

tyckspoon
2009-10-02, 04:38 PM
Morale usually comes from Mind Affecting sources (Heroism, Inspire Courage, etc) but is not inherently Mind Affecting. You could create a spell that gives Morale without being Mind Affecting, or find an (Ex) source that would rationally not be Mind Affecting without breaking any rules.

NoldorForce
2009-10-05, 04:02 PM
On the morale/mind-affecting bit, there are a handful of effects that explicitly have the former without the latter. (Magic of Incarnum and - I believe - Dragon Magic each have a single spell that does this sort of thing.)

As for the rest, simply compare here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes). Or against the Rules Compendium list, if you have that book handy.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-05, 04:26 PM
On the morale/mind-affecting bit, there are a handful of effects that explicitly have the former without the latter. (Magic of Incarnum and - I believe - Dragon Magic each have a single spell that does this sort of thing.)

As for the rest, simply compare here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes). Or against the Rules Compendium list, if you have that book handy.

As bad an example as it is for other purposes, IIRC the Iron Heart Surge is an example of a non-Mind Affecting Morale bonus.