PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] To catch a thief

jiriku
2009-10-02, 04:54 PM
So, our current group is plagued by an annoying uber DMPC who seems to be working at cross purposes to us. I chased him off, but he has hide in plain sight, massive hide and move silently modifiers, and the DM is convinced that he's the coolest thing since black leather trench coats, so I'm pretty sure the rat's still following us around. Even worse, he's good with poisons, so now we can't even eat a meal without paranoia.

How can I catch this guy? I have access to arcane spells of up to 6th level (although not of the illusion, enchantment, or evocation schools), and cleric spells of up to 5th level, but no one in the party has enough Spot or Listen to compete with his stealth checks. His initiative bonus is huge, and I get the impression from my inability to catch him in a glitterdust that he can sneak at full speed with no penalty.

Suggestions?

Kylarra
2009-10-02, 04:58 PM
Give him a letter written in explosive runes. Step back 10'.

Flickerdart
2009-10-02, 04:59 PM
Mindsight, Tremorsense or Blindsight are going to root the sucker out regardless of how well he can hide (unless he has Darkstalker). What type of HiPS does he have? If it's the kind granted by the Shadowdancer and Assassin, he needs to be within 10 feet of a shadow to hide, so Fly and bring out the guns. The Ranger version only lets him do it in natural growth, which a few Fireballs can remove nicely.

good_lookin_gus
There's good advice on the 2 similar threads dealing with PCs. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7045303&postcount=14)

Myou
Beat the DM repeatedly over the head with the DMG, PHB and MM, then burn the DMPC sheet once he's knocked out.

More seriously, just tell the DM to stop being a cheating, antagonistic ****.

Asheram
2009-10-02, 05:03 PM
Find a druid and grapple the ¤#&¤/%

DudestMonk
2009-10-02, 05:04 PM
Go go divination.

jiriku
2009-10-02, 05:07 PM
Mindsight, Tremorsense or Blindsight are going to root the sucker out regardless of how well he can hide (unless he has Darkstalker). What type of HiPS does he have? If it's the kind granted by the Shadowdancer and Assassin, he needs to be within 10 feet of a shadow to hide, so Fly and bring out the guns. The Ranger version only lets him do it in natural growth, which a few Fireballs can remove nicely.

Oh hey, we can cast both blindsight and greater blindsight. That will see him without a spot check?

Probably the assassin/shadow dancer kind.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-02, 05:10 PM
Even if he has Darkstalker (which overcomes Blindsight), you can still find him with Touchsight. It's pretty hard to beat.

jiriku
2009-10-02, 05:48 PM
I am not familar with touchsight. What book is it in? Is it a cleric or wizard spell? We don't have any psions or other unusual casters in our party.

Tavar
2009-10-02, 05:51 PM
It's from the expanded psionics handbook.

jiriku
2009-10-02, 06:06 PM
Go go divination.

Do you mean divination like the spell, or divinations like locate creature to find his approximate location? I'm concerned about finding him precisely enough to target him, so I can hit the annoying little rodent with an empowered maximized moilian slashing darkness night's caress.

Edit: Since greater blindsight is a cleric spell, does anyone know a spell the cleric can tag him with to make him visible to the rest of the party?

The Glyphstone
2009-10-02, 06:14 PM
Light on an item he's carrying?

MCerberus
2009-10-02, 06:23 PM
The easiest way to deal with a rampaging DMPC is to talk to a DM while away from the PCs. Calmly tell him that his DMPC is taking away from the game. Suggest to him that he can save the character concept for a PC at a later time, but for now he's the DM.

DMPC railroaders sometimes can be a neon "Someone else get behind this damn screen" sign.

Shinizak
2009-10-02, 06:26 PM
Scry, you know what the F***er looks like, and you know him by name so it really should be about as difficult as taking a leak. Once you know where the dude is, use a readied action to cast slow on him and use a quickened glitterdust. Then bend him over...

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-02, 06:58 PM
Are you sure you're working at cross-purposes with the DMPC? Just checking - I've met plenty of DMs who've just been poor at getting their DM-plot-hook-PCs to step out from showing off how cool they are and actually do what they're meant to.

Once you're certain the DMPC must be defeated, then yeah - Scry on him and Glitterdust. Just buff the party beforehand, so you go in all guns blazing.

Remember, if you want to talk to him once you're done: Dimensional Anchor, Suggestion, Zone of Truth, Neutralise Poison (in case he tries suicide to keep the plot from you, or so his boss can rez him back up once he's dead...)

My personal experience with DMPC types leads me to decide to ignore them unless they are a threat. If so, unleash hell.

Xzeno
2009-10-02, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna go with the "Talk to your DM" method. If that doesn't work, hide in a hole or fortification, making your own food and water until he gives (in character or not). Don't do that unless you are a jerk. Otherwise, just kill him with fire.

JeminiZero
2009-10-02, 08:30 PM
I am not familar with touchsight. What book is it in? Is it a cleric or wizard spell? We don't have any psions or other unusual casters in our party.

Its available in the SRD (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Touchsight)

Even without Psions in the party, it can be bought as a Psionic Tattoo (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psionic_Tatoos) for 750 gp a pop.

Glimbur
2009-10-02, 08:48 PM
Cast Helping Hand, a core cleric spell. Tell it to lead him to you. You can see the hand, which goes directly to his position. If he's as close as you think he is it doesn't take long at all. Then Glitterdust. Then murder.

woodenbandman
2009-10-02, 09:15 PM
Short answer: You can't.

Long answer: Your DM is a mean douche who wants to play the game his way, and he won't let you catch him. You can scry all day, but you'll never find him.

Darrin
2009-10-02, 10:20 PM
Spymaster's Coin (Complete Scoundrel) can help you pinpoint his location. A Dragoneye Rune (Dragon Magic) might help, although the DM can be deliberately vague with that one. Potions of Embrace the Wild or Tremorsense (Rgr 1, Rgr 2, Spell Compendium) are fairly inexpensive, 50 GP and 300 GP respectively.

If that isn't working, pick up some psionics (Hidden Talent, Psywar dip, etc.), get a Psicrystal, and have it pick up the Lifesense feat (Libris Mortis). I don't think anything but being room temperature can get around Lifesense.

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-02, 10:34 PM
Wait till he attacks you and drop a slow on the entire party or entangle...wall of ice/iron/fire/stone/force around you so he cant run though if you go for fire make it face away from you so you dont burn
since slow doesnt affect arcane casting you should be able to glitter up that bugger or drop a faerie fire if youve a druid, or just a light on his shoes. animate rope could be good for lowlevel stuff.
Alternatively get the cleric to buff everyone with prot from fire and drop a fireball and a flame strike

jiriku
2009-10-03, 01:43 AM
Cast Helping Hand, a core cleric spell. Tell it to lead him to you. You can see the hand, which goes directly to his position. If he's as close as you think he is it doesn't take long at all. Then Glitterdust. Then murder.

Hah! Helping hand is perfect. I can't believe I've never seen the potential in that spell. If the hand jets off out of sight because he's not in the immediate vicinity, can I scry it to find its location?

Frosty
2009-10-03, 02:37 AM
DMPC that works at cross purposes with regards to your party? Where I come from we call that an NPC...and a villain at that, Also see: Chunky bits of exp.

Shinizak
2009-10-03, 11:06 AM
Careful though. If you don't kill him quick enough, then the DM will just allow him to escape. What you need are no save spells for once you pin him down, like enervation or maybe try to grapple him, Evard's black tentacles are always good.

Volkov
2009-10-03, 11:10 AM
Go to a really high up bridge, cast feather fall, blow up the bridge, and he should die from the fall.

Yora
2009-10-03, 11:18 AM
I'd get him into a trap. But that only works if the gm does not pull a deus ex machina.

Get him to follow you into a room or building that can be completely sealed off by you. Then use yourself as a bait and once he's inside, destroy everything he could use as cover and cast some daylight spells.

Melamoto
2009-10-03, 11:24 AM
He'll miraculously have a ring of feather fall on him.

If the DM thinks he is awesome, chances are he'll cheat to save the character. No matter what kind of damage you deal, he'll have just enough hit points to survive. I suggest doing something that he has no chance to stop, like Forcecaging him first (I know you can't use Forcecage, but it can be anything along those lines). Then, when he can't escape, let the brutal and bloody murder begin.

Locating him is just a matter of Blindsight and Glitterdust.

Volkov
2009-10-03, 11:26 AM

If the DM thinks he is awesome, chances are he'll cheat to save the character. No matter what kind of damage you deal, he'll have just enough hit points to survive. I suggest doing something that he has no chance to stop, like Forcecaging him first (I know you can't use Forcecage, but it can be anything along those lines). Then, when he can't escape, let the brutal and bloody murder begin.

Make sure very hungry megalodons are in the river 1,000 or so feet below the bridge.

BritishBill
2009-10-03, 02:42 PM
hrmm. id just kill the dm. Just hide the body and start a new game all problems gone!!:smallyuk:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-03, 08:40 PM

This is why I love reserve feats so much. Once trapped, zap him about twenty times and ask how he's doing. Repeat until DM gets bored and gives up. The only other real alternative is for him to ignore game rules so flagrantly that books fly.

In seriousness though, DMPCs are a real problem, especially when they feel the need to make them miraculously awesome. I've seen epic level characters in level 3 parties, actively screwing with them. That's just incredibly poor gaming.