View Full Version : Are we EVER going to see how Haley met V?

Trai
2009-10-02, 09:23 PM
So I got my copy of Origin of PCs today and read it through. I liked the scene with Haley and V in the tavern, but I'm surprised we still have never learned how they became friends, what attracted them to each other, etc.

I'm a fan of their friendship and I'd still like to know. Clearly, V cares enough about Haley that he almost went mad searching for her, so they're great friends...

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm just curious to know if anyone else wants to know their backstory.

Gamerlord
2009-10-02, 09:28 PM
So I got my copy of Origin of PCs today and read it through. I liked the scene with Haley and V in the tavern, but I'm surprised we still have never learned how they became friends, what attracted them to each other, etc.

I'm a fan of their friendship and I'd still like to know. Clearly, V cares enough about Haley that he almost went mad searching for her, so they're great friends...

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm just curious to know if anyone else wants to know their backstory.

That IS when they became friends.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-02, 09:30 PM
That's not in there? Hmmm...now I want to know, too. It sounds like something that would come out when one of them had some sort of epiphany. We already know that Haley trusts Elan and nobody else, not even V, with her secret about her father. Maybe she'll open up to V about it in the future and we'll see how they met in flashbacks. V could use a reminder that shi has friends who rely on hir and shi can rely on.

That IS when they became friends.

Hmmmm...Ninja'd by a very plausible alternative explanation.

Holy_Knight
2009-10-02, 09:37 PM
Hmmmm...Ninja'd by a very plausible alternative explanation.

I don't think it's plausible--they seem to have already been friends for awhile at that point. Like the OP said, that would be a fun bit of backstory for us to see eventually.

Herald Alberich
2009-10-02, 09:51 PM
We already know that Haley trusts Elan and nobody else, not even V, with her secret about her father.

Actually, her father is one of the first secrets she tells in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html), well before she comes up with the one not even V knows. I'm not sure why she would confide in V when she so pathologically hides her history from everyone else, though.

Perhaps V, as an elf and a scholar, is far enough removed from the familiar types of people she's used to hiding from that she was able to open up to him. Easier to confide in a stranger, and all that. He's also shown no signs of being Lawful, the type of people she trusts the least.

Fitzclowningham
2009-10-02, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's plausible--they seem to have already been friends for awhile at that point. Like the OP said, that would be a fun bit of backstory for us to see eventually.

Agreed. I don't find it likely that V would sit down and become familiar with a human rogue of indeterminate alignment so quickly. V is suspicious and cranky by nature, not to mention an elf. I think they must have known one another, and perhaps adventured together, for some time.

Darius1020
2009-10-02, 10:10 PM
They met at the bar, the way i see it, V was complaining about that humans learn spells faster, or something, i don't really remember..., and Haley sat down and started trying to explain it to hir, and then they got to talking, and they both decided to join the Order

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-02, 10:44 PM
. . . and perhaps adventured together, for some time.

V never adventured before joining the order of the stick. I did presume that they knew each other previously.

Atronach
2009-10-02, 11:32 PM
Actually, I believe Vaarsuvius did what some people may consider to be "adventuring" when he/she traveled for- what was it? Perhaps three years, four total. Though most likely Vaarsuvius traveled from town to town, and some may not consider that to be "adventuring".

xyzzy
2009-10-02, 11:47 PM
Remember, Rich says in the introduction that some backstory was intentionally left out because it had greater narrative strength further into the story. I think this is one of those details; there's a lot of possibility here with regards to Haley and V's backstories, and I think we will eventually get into them, but it might take a while.

factotum
2009-10-03, 04:12 AM
V never adventured before joining the order of the stick. I did presume that they knew each other previously.

Haley definitely adventured prior to that point, though, so why should she have waited so long to tell V how good adventuring was if she knew him earlier? I think it's entirely possible they met in that bar just a few minutes before we saw the conversation they were having.

Fireballing_Fun
2009-10-03, 10:32 AM
They met in the tavern, saw that they had PC stamped on their foreheads and so decided to go adventuing together. It is D&D that is how it works.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 04:48 PM
They met at the bar, the way i see it, V was complaining about that humans learn spells faster, or something, i don't really remember..., and Haley sat down and started trying to explain it to hir, and then they got to talking, and they both decided to join the Order

No, it was about the fact that:

V had destroyed the stadim in mixing up the spell

Though I have the impression that they knew each other before, simply because Haley calls Vaarsuvius "V", which might mean some sort of familiarity.

Very likely, their first meeting involved Haley breaking into V's house or something.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-05, 08:07 PM
Though I have the impression that they knew each other before, simply because Haley calls Vaarsuvius "V", which might mean some sort of familiarity.

:vaarsuvius: I am called by those who who I allow the privilege of acquiring knowledge of the moniker denoting me as an individual "Vaarsuvius."

:haley: Vesoovio...Varsisuki...Viminilli...can I just call you 'V'?

:vaarsuvius: Of course, I had forgotten how the clumsy human tongue stumbles upon itself as it tries feebly to articulate the intricate nuances of the elven language.

Cleverdan22
2009-10-06, 09:20 AM
I am so curious as to why the majority of people think they met in that bar. She was already calling him V, and it isn't really indicated that Haley just met him. V probably started talking to her that time because he needed to complain to a friend. Also, she already seems like shes using familiar speaking and terms with him, such as "Sneak Attack upside the head." You hit a friend on the head when they are being annoying, not a stranger.

David Argall
2009-10-06, 07:57 PM
After all this time, there is virtually no chance we will see how they first met. It no longer is an issue of importance.
One possibility is that Haley was in possession of some "previously owned" magic texts and V, being a poor, low level mage with a desire for lots of magic power, asked no questions on that subject. Instead she mentioned some additional texts she would be interested in if Haley should "happen" to "find" them. The result was a fine relationship.

AxeD
2009-10-09, 07:15 AM
Remember, Rich says in the introduction that some backstory was intentionally left out because it had greater narrative strength further into the story. I think this is one of those details; there's a lot of possibility here with regards to Haley and V's backstories, and I think we will eventually get into them, but it might take a while.

I just got my copy of Origins of PC's today (it's awesome) and I was kinda hoping for more about Varsuvius's back story. You make a good point about Rich wanting to leave out parts of the back stories, but a lot of V's background (ie. her/his family) had been mentioned in the online comic and I had kinda hoped for more than a 3 panel montage of V growing up, learning magic and getting kicked out.

For example, I've read somewhere in the forums that V's kids are adopted, and that makes sense, since they have a different skin tone from V and A. Does this get covered in the bonus materials in one of the other books? I've only just purchased Origins and I have borrowed SoD off a mate, so I wouldn't know about the other 3 books.

I guess that I'd better shut up and stop whining before Haley hits me with a "sneak attack upside the head" :smallwink:

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-09, 02:51 PM
For example, I've read somewhere in the forums that V's kids are adopted, and that makes sense, since they have a different skin tone from V and A. Does this get covered in the bonus materials in one of the other books? I've only just purchased Origins and I have borrowed SoD off a mate, so I wouldn't know about the other 3 books.
So far, the only reference to V's kids being adopted is in this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html) The likely explanation for it is that it allows for the possibility that V and Inkyrius are the same sex, and yet still have children.

I wouldn't expect to see too much more of V's family life, either. It would be very hard to explore it in much detail without giving away V's gender.

AxeD
2009-10-09, 10:45 PM
So far, the only reference to V's kids being adopted is in this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html) The likely explanation for it is that it allows for the possibility that V and Inkyrius are the same sex, and yet still have children.

I wouldn't expect to see too much more of V's family life, either. It would be very hard to explore it in much detail without giving away V's gender.

Cheers for the link, I couldn't find where it said that. Where does it say that V and I are the same sex? :smallconfused:

Kish
2009-10-09, 11:21 PM
Cheers for the link, I couldn't find where it said that. Where does it say that V and I are the same sex? :smallconfused:
I don't know if you and Vaarsuvius are the same sex, but I think you may have missed the word "possibility" in Nimrod's Son's post.

AxeD
2009-10-10, 08:27 AM
I don't know if you and Vaarsuvius are the same sex, but I think you may have missed the word "possibility" in Nimrod's Son's post.

Yeah, I did miss that. I really need to re-read posts before I ask questions. :smallsigh:

(BTW, if you hadn't figured it out, when I said "V and I", I meant "Varsuvius and Inkyrius":smallmad:)