PDA

View Full Version : Swiftblade with 9th level spells?

Darrin
2009-10-02, 10:45 PM
Does this work?

Wizard 9/Swiftblade 10 can cast 8th level spells. With Improved Sigil: Krau, Alacritous Cogitation + Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell, or Earth Sense + Earth Spell + Heighten Spell, this can be bumped up to a 9th level spell.

If I then take a level of Dragon Disciple (or some other PrC that grants a spell slot and/or bonus spell), can I get a 9th level slot that way?

Cedrass
2009-10-02, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure of the reasoning but I know it doesn't work. The reason (I think) is that to have a spell slot you need to gain it with a permanent feature (a class feature for exemple).

You can consider a temporary spell slot as a normal spell slot for that kind of thing.

...Err... Someone should be able to explain it a (little :smallwink:) bit better than me, but the final answer will still be no. Of that I am sure.

Flickerdart
2009-10-02, 11:49 PM
I recall someone doing 9th level spells with Swiftblade, but it involved a lot more cheese. However, Heighten Spell shenanigans only work for Sorcerers and other spontaneous casters, I believe. It can be done, but in a different way.

EnnPeeCee
2009-10-02, 11:50 PM
Dragon Disciple gives a bonus spell slot as if through a high ability score.
In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.
So no, you must be of adequate level in order to gain an bonus slot of that level.

At least, that's how I'm understanding it.

Grumman
2009-10-02, 11:51 PM
If it worked you wouldn't need Dragon Disciple - you could just use your bonus spells from having a high ability score.

Glimbur
2009-10-02, 11:57 PM
I recall someone doing 9th level spells with Swiftblade, but it involved a lot more cheese. However, Heighten Spell shenanigans only work for Sorcerers and other spontaneous casters, I believe. It can be done, but in a different way.

Did it involve cheating via Lore Drake and other virtual sorcerer levels? Because that's the only way I can think of, besides Gestalt of course.

PId6
2009-10-03, 12:15 AM
Or, you know, just don't take the last level of Swiftblade. It's nice to have free action Time Stops, but it's even better to be able to Shapechange/Disjunction/Gate/etc./etc. Plus, you'll be able to Time Stop anyway, and better, using Greater Metamagic Rod of Maximize.

KellKheraptis
2009-10-03, 12:17 AM
Ask Doc Rock to show you his sisters, Elly and Jaclyn ;) And yes, requires some cheese. However, if you like cheese, go Factotem 8/Beholder Mage 1/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 2, and revel in utter action economy abuse.

woodenbandman
2009-10-03, 10:11 AM
Just be a swiftblade/Beholder mage. Duh.

I saw a suggestion for a build that was a swiftblade/beholder mage polymorphed into a choker with Assume Supernatural ability for 3 standard actions a round.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-03, 10:39 AM
Dragon Disciple gives a bonus spell slot as if through a high ability score.
So no, you must be of adequate level in order to gain an bonus slot of that level.

At least, that's how I'm understanding it.

Unless you are a Elven Generalist. They get extra slot anyways. So Elven Generalist + Precocious Apprentice grants 2nd level spells at 1st (2: 1 from feat/one from class).

Ernir
2009-10-03, 11:07 AM
Uh, I think the best way to insure that you get 9th level spells and 10 levels of Swiftblade is to get into the class early. If you can get yourself in at level 4 or 5 and then take a fast-progressing class later, you should be set.

I recall someone doing 9th level spells with Swiftblade, but it involved a lot more cheese.
I am pretty sure I remember Tidesinger posting some builds. Can't find now, though. :smallfrown:

if you like cheese, go Factotem 8/Beholder Mage 1/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 2, and revel in utter action economy abuse.
Just be a swiftblade/Beholder mage. Duh.
A problem with Swiftblade/Factotum/Beholder Mage builds: Beholder Mages cast their spells as free actions, so they do not benefit from extra standard actions as much as other casters. Their broken-ness is built in. :smallfrown:

Oh, and guys, your builds need more Incantatrix. :smallbiggrin:

Doc Roc
2009-10-03, 11:10 AM
Here. (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYdLcxsM7Nx0ZGc2NzhibjNfNTNocnFrYjlmcQ&hl=en)

There are five or six other ways. These are the ones I liked. Your route may work, but it would be entirely dependent on your GM's mood regarding what amounts to a direct exploit. The same goes for my builds above, though, so...