PDA

View Full Version : Wilder powers

Faulty
2009-10-03, 12:41 AM
So I'm making a Wilder, and I have so few choices for powers known that I'm unsure of which ones to choose. I'd sort of like to do blasting, though I know it's generally not considered an optimal use of psionic or magical power.

Suggestions?

Worira
2009-10-03, 12:50 AM
Actually, blasting is something Wilders are fairly good at, thanks to Wild Surge boosting your ML. My personal favourite is Crystal Shard. It doesn't allow Spell/Power Resistance, and it's not affected by energy resistances and immunities. And who doesn't like firing mind-bullets? In combination with Psionic Shot and Wild Surge, it can deal 4d6 points of damage at 1st level.

tyckspoon
2009-10-03, 01:32 AM
It's not especially optimal, no, but blasting is the one thing a Wilder can do that a Psion doesn't do better (although you'll still have to use Expanded Knowledge or the researching psionic powers rule to yoink a few choice Kineticist powers.) Wilders should be treated like Sorcerers, or perhaps more accurately, Warlocks with buffed invocations (not exactly unlimited use powers, but look at a mid/high level Wilder's power point pool and tell me if you can find a difference.) If you really want to be a Wilder (instead of a Psion/Anarchic Initiate), and you feel like blasting, go ahead and run with it. It's the best of a fairly bad lot, especially at lower levels.

Edit: I prefer Energy Ray for a low-level blasting power. Cold and Fire provide extra free scaling, and since you can switch on the fly you usually don't have to worry too much about resistances. If you do find something that strongly resists/is immune to both Cold and Fire, you have the choice of just sucking up the damage penalty and blasting it with SONIC! instead. Crystal Shard's nice if you don't want to worry about that, tho, or just prefer the imagery of shooting crystalline daggers through people instead of lazer beams.