PDA

View Full Version : Divine Ultimate Magus (3.5)

Zaydos
2009-10-03, 01:44 AM
I have insomnia and I'm bored so... I decided I want a class for a idk Druid/Archivist or Cleric/Favored Soul or some such. So I decided to take Ultimate Magus as a base for a divine version of the class. If you like yay, if not tear it to shreds it's 2:00 AM and I'm making D&D classes... okay got distracted by a friend whose making his character for a new campaign so it's 2:50.

And no I don't have any fluff for this class, it's just something I thought up while sleep deprived and I bet it's been done before by several people. And yes Divine Spell Power is just copied and pasted from Ultimate Magus with the word arcane switched to divine.

Prerequisites:
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks.
Feats: Any one Devotion feat.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st level divine spells as any divine spellcasting class, and ability to cast 2nd level divine spells as any other divine spellcasting class.

Divine Savant
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Divine Spell Power +1|+1 level of lower level divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Divine Transparency (1st level)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Divine Blessing, Synergistic Casting|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Divine Spell Power +2, Divine Transparency (2nd level)|+1 level of lower level divine spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Divine Transparency (3rd level)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Divine Spell Power +3|+1 level of lower level divine spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Divine Transparency (4th level)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Bonus Feat, Conserve Spell|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Divine Spell Power +4, Divine Transparency (5th level)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class and +1 level of other existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

HD: d6

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int.

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (the Planes), Profession, Spellcraft.
If a character has any domains that grant additional class skills as a cleric they also grant them to levels of Divine Savant.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A divine savant gains no new weapon and armor proficiencies.

Divine Spell Power (Ex): At 1st level, your caster level
for all divine spells increases by 1. It increases again at 4th
level, 7th level, and 10th level (to a maximum of +4).

Divine Transparency (Ex): For each level up to and including the level listed with this ability you may designate one slot from each divine spellcasting class you have as "generic". You may prepare/cast any divine spell that you have access to in any of your classes in this "generic" slot (for example a Cleric 3/Druid 1/Divine Savant 5 would have 8 "generic" slots one from each of 0-3rd level as both a druid and cleric and could use these slots to prepare any cleric or druid spell).

Divine Gift: You may add your Divine Savant levels to your other levels for two of: Turn Undead, Wild Empathy, determining a favored soul's energy resistance, Element Sense, Chastise Spirits, Dark Knowledge, Lay on Hands, and since I posted a healer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126750) class here and feel like it I'll plug myself and say something from it I made so Caring Touch or Ranged Healing. You must already have these class abilities to select them. DMs are encouraged to expand this list with relation to other divine classes not covered here. For example the above mentioned Cleric 3/Druid 1/Divine Savant 5 would have chosen Turn Undead and Wild Empathy allowing him to turn as a 6th level cleric and use Wild Empathy as a 4th level druid.

Synergistic Casting: A number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier when you cast a divine spell you may also cast a 2nd divine spell with a spell level no higher than 1/2 your class level in Divine Savant as a free action. This spell must target a creature affected by your other normally casted spell.

Bonus Feat: You may select one divine, wild, devotion, or metamagic feat you qualify for as a bonus feat at 5th and again at 9th level.

Conserve Spell: Once per day when you cast a spell you may make a Concentration check (DC 10 + 3 times spell level) to retain the spell. On a success you retain the spell or spell slot as if the spell had not been cast, on a failure you suffer no ill-effects but the ability is wasted.

And yes I put more than twice as much time into helping my friend and formatting than actually creating the class YAY win!

Navigator
2009-10-13, 11:39 PM
I feel like this needs a little push.

The write-up is sound, but any character taking this class is going to be focused on casting. Since the arcane version of this class is, well, arcane, I would say the class needs a little something extra in the casting department, especially since the character loses spell levels.

To offset whatever this "help" may be, I would suggest any or all of the following; drop fort saves to poor, drop hit dice to d6, drop base attack bonus to poor.

Requiring a devotion feat seems strange to me, and would much rather see it be a meta-magic feat, and replace Divine Blessing (you seem to have this written as Divine Gift in the text) with a divine version of Augmented Casting. After everything is said and done, I don't feel Divine Blessing does very much for the class.

Zaydos
2009-10-23, 05:12 AM
Sorry it took me so long but I finally made some changes (couldn't think of any for the longest time). I kept Fort as good, but reduced BAB and lowered HD to d6. I gave them an ability to cast another low enough level spell as part of a spell they cast but they have to have the same target as another spell they cast in that round), and gave them the ability to retain any spell they cast 1/day with a concentration check.

I feel a little bad posting on this thread after so long, but I had to finally answer the critique and I hope it doesn't qualify as necromancy yet.

I hope the synergistic spell should make up for Augment Casting and retain a more divine feel, and I made the requirement a devotion feat for a similar reason (also there are enough fun devotion feats to make it worthwhile).

Narmy
2009-12-13, 07:45 AM
Looks like a very, very awesome class, and although it may perhaps seem a tad powerful to me.

It seems relatively very well balanced. I like it, and may even use it one day.

I'd like to say VERY good work.

erikun
2009-12-13, 10:07 AM
Hmm, well no metamagic abuse like the actual Ultimate Magus. Then again, divine spellcasters alredy have the Divine Metamagic feat.

That is one very narrow skill list. Why Knowledge (Arcana)? For that matter, Handle Animal (Druids, Paladins, Rangers) and Ride (Paladins) would make more sense. I also find that Sense Motive makes sense on divine spellcasters, or at least is useful.

Didn't the Ultimate Magus have Use Magic Device as a class skill?

You might want to expand on domain spells. If the class is about merging two different spellcasters into one spellcasting whole, then I would expect to be able to use domain spell slots for my regular spells, and regular spell slots for my domain spells. (Yes, this would be quite powerful. Possibly a capstone ability.)

Divine Transparency doesn't quite make sense. So are you getting extra spell slots? Or are you just allowing, say, a Cleric/Druid to prepare Druid spells in Cleric spell slots on a limited basis? How does this work with a Cleric/Favored Soul - do you have to prepare a spell slot as "Spontaneous", or can you just leave spell slots unprepared and spontaneously use those? (Again, to a limited extent.)

I assume that Divine Gift will allow a Cleric/Favored Soul to progress Turn Undead on both sides, correct? What about a Cleric 4/Paladin 1/Divine Magus - can you choose "Turn Undead (Paladin)" in order to eventually get turning, or do you need to be a 4th level Paladin with turning already?

Synergistic Casting refers to the class as "Divine Savant" rather than "Divine Ultimate Magus". :smalltongue:

It's also strangely worded, with unusual implications. What if my spell targets "all allies it burst"? What if it targets "all creatures"? Can I cast Mass Cure Moderate Wounds followed by Magic Circle against Evil on one of the targets? Can I cast Holy Word followed by Bestow Curse on one? What about the other way around - Heal followed by Invisibility Purge that includes the target in the area?

Could I used a ranged spell (Mass Owl's Wisdom) followed by a touch spell (Cure Light Wounds) on the same target, even though they aren't in range of the second spell?

You might want to mention where Devotion feats are from - I'm not familiar with them.