PDA

View Full Version : guitar amp advice needed

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-03, 01:57 AM
At the moment i play a 5150 - Its decent enough, although the clean sound sucks balls, and its not exactly versatile... But i can get a decent sound from it (lead channel - pre 4, bass 7, mids 8, treble 6, power amp 6/7, pressence 4, ressonance 7 - ear bleedingly loud, but certainly a different sound than most 5150 users go for), but my tastes have i just want a more "rock" sound than a metal tone. The 5150 is just too cold. At this point im genuinely considering getting a bias mod put in to warm the sucker up a whole heap

basically what i'd like to hear from people is suggestions (big name brands or small) is amp suggestions. I love to get something thats sort of balance between 70's rock, with all its warm overdrive, but with the saturation/crunch of more modern amps without it getting to grainy. I prefer not to need mountains of gain and distortion, but a thick sound is definately a plus

any suggestions? youtube links so i can hear what you suggest would also be a plus

edit:
im a definate fan of the tone he's got going on here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaDgnRmKR3A

i know its a 1977 limited editon red marshall. If i could get something like that with more crunch i'd be loving life

Narmoth
2009-10-03, 10:35 AM
Well, for a warmer sound you could try an Orange amp. But they're kind of expensive. Still, cheaper than a mesa-boogie, and more enduring (mesa boogie amps don't endure touring well)
The Orange amps were used by Gary Moore, Tony Iommi (for a short time) and other heavy rock and metal outfits of the late 70s, early 80s.

It gives a rather warm tone on all levels, and has great sustain.