PDA

View Full Version : Playing an Irda (Dragonlance)

Forevernade
2009-10-03, 07:00 AM
They have shapeshift ability 3/day for a +2LA.

What kind of things should I be thinking of when playing this kind of character?

Unrevealed to the party I started in the form of a Qualinesti for social reasons, but I can later (when I have to) transform into one of the fiery winged elves. I put skill points into Fly for this reason. They will then think that I have been one of the winged elves all along.

I can turn into a Minotaur if I am cornered and out of spells for horn attacks.
I can turn into Draconian for spell resistance if I face another wizard.

What else can I turn into for my own benifit?

Are there any social/roleplay tricks or tips for me? This is my first time as a shapeshifting race ever. It should prove to be fun because none of the actual players know this and presume I am an elf wizard.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-03, 08:05 AM
Isn't the change shape ability humanoid only? (Severely limiting it's appeal.) I don't think you get special qualities either.

Change shape is not shapechange ;)

Starsinger
2009-10-03, 08:40 AM
Irda, like a lot of the LA races in Dragonlance aren't worth as much LA as they're given, having been given an extra point of LA or two to discourage use by players to enforce rarity.

oxinabox
2009-10-03, 09:27 AM
factum/chamleon, and pretend to be another class?

Cleric, with fire and force domains and pretend to be a wizard?

Dixieboy
2009-10-03, 05:15 PM
Try "Not being transformed" for social situation.

You're a goddamn irda, you're the race who tells the snooty elves to go play at the kids table when the grown ups are talking, you're the race that tells the wizards of the tower to shut up, sit down and listen to a lecture on how the world works.

Trodon
2009-10-03, 07:07 PM

You're a goddamn irda, you're the race who tells the snooty elves to go play at the kids table when the grown ups are talking, you're the race that tells the wizards of the tower to shut up, sit down and listen to a lecture on how the world works.

This made me smile.

Forevernade
2009-10-03, 08:08 PM
Isn't the change shape ability humanoid only? (Severely limiting it's appeal.) I don't think you get special qualities either.

Change shape is not shapechange ;)

Yes Humanoid only. You get special abilities and natural attacks, like fly or horns. How is being able to fly, have +10 disguise and a multitude of other cool things at level 1 nor worth a starting ECL3?

I will be trying this later when I am more powerful, powerful enough to contain my self-righteous demeanor.