PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Larceny Alarm [Spell]

Myou
2009-10-03, 07:06 AM
Talk of theiving rogues gve me a bit of an idea, based on the Alarm spell, what do you think? And is the level right?

Larceny Alarm
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Larceny Alarm wards a target creature and all items it carries on its person, alerting the the target and others nearby should any item the target posesses be stolen. If any item that the target carries should be stolen or taken without leave, the item will flash bright red repeatedly and emit a loud alarm. A mental alarm will also sound in the mind of the target creature.

You may set a password to allow other trusted creatures to take items to target carries without setting off the alarm. The password is determined by the caster at the time of casting. A creature that knows the password does not set off the alarm.

Mental Alarm: The mental alarm alerts the owner to the theft. They note a single mental “ping” that awakens them from normal sleep but does not otherwise disturb concentration. A silence spell has no effect on this mental alarm. Should the spell be dispelled or otherwise ended prematurely or be supressed in some way, a higher pitched mental alarm sounds in the owner's mind to warn them that the spell itself has been circumvented. This second higher ping also sounds when the spell ends naturally when its duration has expired.

Audible and Visual Alarm: The audible alarm produces the sound of a loud hand bell being rung at speed, and anyone within 100 feet of the item stolen can hear it clearly. The sound lasts until the item is returned to the owner. Creatures within a silence spell cannot hear the ringing.
The visual alarm produces a flashing red light as if by a Light spell, easily visible from long distances, radiating out from the item stolen, and also lasts until the item is returned.

Larceny Alarm can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Focus: A tiny silver bell worth 50gp strung on a fine silver chain worth a further 50gp, worn by the target of the spell during casting.

Siosilvar
2009-10-03, 09:48 AM
It's a more expensive, more focused, Magic Mouth in a different school.

Really, a Magic Mouth set to yell, "STOP THIEF!" when someone besides you touches an item without saying "Flibbertigibbet" 5 or fewer seconds before touching the item accomplishes the exact same as the Audible Alarm.

The Mental Alarm and the ability to be used more than once are nice benefits, though, but I doubt I'd spend 100 GP per item per day on this spell until higher levels.

Myou
2009-10-03, 09:58 AM
It's a more expensive, more focused, Magic Mouth in a different school.

Really, a Magic Mouth set to yell, "STOP THIEF!" when someone besides you touches an item without saying "Flibbertigibbet" 5 or fewer seconds before touching the item accomplishes the exact same as the Audible Alarm.

The Mental Alarm and the ability to be used more than once are nice benefits, though, but I doubt I'd spend 100 GP per item per day on this spell until higher levels.

It's only a focus, not a material component. :smalleek:

You just keep your stuff in a bag and put the spell on the bag.

Siosilvar
2009-10-03, 10:00 AM
It's only a focus, not a material component. :smalleek:

You just keep your stuff in a bag and put the spell on the bag.

I missed the focus part. That makes it actually cheaper if you want to keep using it.

Hmm... If I had an extra spell slot, I'd probably prepare this. But if I were a sorcerer who had to choose one of the two for spells known, Magic Mouth has much more utility.

Myou
2009-10-03, 10:04 AM
I missed the focus part. That makes it actually cheaper if you want to keep using it.

Hmm... If I had an extra spell slot, I'd probably prepare this. But if I were a sorcerer who had to choose one of the two for spells known, Magic Mouth has much more utility.

Do you think it should just affect all items a person owns or something?

Myou
2009-10-03, 11:34 AM
I've edited the text a little to make it clearer, and made if effect everything you carry.

mikeejimbo
2009-10-03, 07:04 PM
I think the light should flash. I realize this is a really tiny and more or less useless suggestion, but I would want my Larceny Alarm to flash.

Myou
2009-10-03, 07:34 PM
I think the light should flash. I realize this is a really tiny and more or less useless suggestion, but I would want my Larceny Alarm to flash.

Actually, it does already. "the item will flash bright red repeatedly and emit a loud alarm" :smallsmile:

Edit: I see why you were confused, the flashing wasn't metioned later in the text. It's added now.