PDA

View Full Version : Spells that Grant Templates [3.5]

OMG PONIES
2009-10-03, 07:12 AM
I know there are some spells that grant the half-celestial, half-fiendish, and mineral warrior templates...but are there any spells that grant other templates?

BobVosh
2009-10-03, 07:27 AM
Polymorph any object. Twice if needed. Every and any template.

Along with shapechange if you don't want it permanently.

OMG PONIES
2009-10-03, 07:56 AM
I'm looking for spells that grant templates, specifically. I'm already using shapechange, etc. for uberfun. I'm thinking of spells like Greater Visage of the Deity that, as far as I know, give the half-celestial template ability scores as untyped bonuses.

Jack_Simth
2009-10-03, 08:58 AM
Polymorph any object. Twice if needed. Every and any template.

Along with shapechange if you don't want it permanently.

Polymorph Any Object inherits from Polymorph, which inherits from Alter Self, which includes the phrase:
You cannot take the form of any creature with a template (specific text from Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm)). So no templates that way, although you can get alternate base races.

ZeroNumerous
2009-10-03, 09:40 AM
Flesh to Stone, Stone Shape then Stone to Flesh. Gets you almost every physical template you can imagine.

Jack_Simth
2009-10-03, 09:50 AM
Flesh to Stone, Stone Shape then Stone to Flesh. Gets you almost every physical template you can imagine.
Assuming your DM cooperates. Otherwise, it's likely to get you the "dead" template, as your internal organs become external organs....

Myou
2009-10-03, 09:50 AM

By RAW it gets you nothing but disfigurement and a 30% chance to die. :smallconfused:

Even by RAI it's an incredibly awful idea. :smallyuk:

TheCountAlucard
2009-10-03, 01:12 PM
If you're undead, you can give yourself the Fiendish template by casting Vile Death.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-03, 01:15 PM
Everyone's favorite template Mineral Warrior can be acquired by having a friendly caster blow an 8th level slot on you. I forget the name, but it's in Underdark with the template.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-03, 02:58 PM
Everyone's favorite template Mineral Warrior can be acquired by having a friendly caster blow an 8th level slot on you. I forget the name, but it's in Underdark with the template.
A little bit more than that:
Material Component: Gemstones and other expensive minerals worth at least 500 gp per HD of the mineral warrior created.
XP Cost: 250 XP per HD of the mineral warrior created.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-03, 03:16 PM
Ah, so that's the reason why I always skip pass that spell!

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-03, 06:28 PM
The worm that walks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/WormThatWalks.htm) entry has a spell that creates one with 100% viability.

Also, it's quite possible to get pretty much any template you want if you find a creature with the template, cast flesh to stone, then haunt shift and stone to flesh.

Emy
2009-10-04, 01:16 AM
Naturally, the most undead creation spells can add templates. Zombie, Skeleton, Zombie Dragon, Skeletal Dragon, Corpse Creature, Bone Creature. A fantastic one to use on melee types with class levels is Dread Warrior. It gives control (unlike Corpse/Bone) and doesn't get rid of the base creature's abilities (unlike Skeletons/Zombies).

There are rituals too, like Necropolitan. I'm pretty sure Blooded One comes from a ritual to, as do the Dragonspawn templates from Dragonlance. The Dry Lich, Lich, and Dracolich templates also have rituals, IIRC.

At least one can be crafted: Spell-stitched.

Also, statues:

An absurdly detailed statue + stone to flesh + create greater undead (corpse creature) + true mind switch.

Stone to flesh explicitly creates corpses out of statues. You then animate it and get yourself swapped into the newly created undead creature.

A tough statue + shroud of undeath + unholy/holy arrows + haunt shift.

Get enough negative levels that you have fewer than 8 HD for purposes of spells, cast shroud of undeath to make you a valid target for haunt shift. Animate your statue with your poltergeist-like haunting powers.

edit: Nar fiendbond grants a humanoid the half-demon template, but judging by the OP, you already know about that one ;)

Incarnate construct gives the Incarnate Construct template.