PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Beguiler Help (3.5)

D-naras
2009-10-03, 02:43 PM
Hi all. I get to roll a beguiler for an upcoming campaign. Starting level is 3, no LA, any book avalaible, 1 flaw allowed. I am mostly looking for equipment advice. Standard WBL. thanks y'all

Edit* no real need for later levels. best to build up to 6 level. thanks again!!!

Physics_Rook
2009-10-03, 03:33 PM
A good place to start, is with the any regular equipment you might expect to take on a camping trip. The sorts of things that you're always wishing you hadn't forgotten.

A quick few examples would be ...
A knife, or other similar easily packed cutting implement.
Rope, never ever forget the rope. :smallbiggrin:
A mess kit (and rations obviously).
Don't forget a spare change of clothes.
A mirror is always helpful.
A walking stick/quarterstaff (let's you prod stuff you'd rather not touch).
A backpack and bedroll.
A compass if it's available.
A magnet can be useful.

If your GM will let you by it in smaller quantities, then some shapesand from Sandstorm is also very useful. It's sand that let's you make a WIS check to reform it into a different shape. Very cool stuff.

Since you at lower levels, and can't just haul around a general store's worth of equipment in a bag of holding, you probably want to be thinking more like Les Stroud right now.

IthilanorStPete
2009-10-03, 03:37 PM
2700gp? I'd go with a healing belt (750 gp, MiC), since it's just a handy thing to have for low-level characters. For the rest, probably some light armor, maybe a useful level 1 wand (assuming you're maxing UMD, which you probably should be); say Reduce Person, for defense. Probably grap Ray of Stupidity (SpC) with Advanced Learning.
For race...I'd go with Strongheart Halfling if you want the extra feat, maybe a Gnome if you're planning to use illusions a lot. Or you could be a Beguiler (from Shining South) - they're these cute little intelligent rodent things with some nice natural attacks, Small size, constant true seeing, and +8 to Hide checks.

Chrono22
2009-10-03, 03:50 PM
A disguise kit would be good.
Alchemical trinkets like smokesticks are also handy.

A use activated item of mage hand (900 gp) is useful for making ranged sleight of hand checks and creating diversions when hiding.

There is a type of clothing in the Magic Item Compendium (I believe it's called shiftweave, 500 gp). It can change to appear to be up to 6 different outfits. If the DM houserules it, you can choose to have the outfits instead correspond to 6 different kinds of camouflage (it would grant circumstantial bonuses on hide checks in certain kinds of terrain). Edit: As a rule of thumb, a DM shouldn't apply the circumstantial bonus unless his player specifically mentions changing his clothing to match his surroundings. Also, certain kinds of camouflage will actually impart a penalty depending on the conditions.

For feats I suggest taking Shadow Weave Magic. It's a handicap early on, but it allows you to prestige into Shadow Adept (Player's Guide to Faerun). Taking one level in this class is useful for two reasons. One, it delays your advanced learning beguiler class feature. This means you'll actually be able to learn spells that are of a higher level, due to how beguiler spells/level progresses. Two, it grants a series of feats at level one which make your spells harder to detect using divination magics, make your spells harder to dispel, and make it easier for you to dispel other magics.

Also, this last bit of advice is paramount: read about the schools of magic, specifically about illusion and enchantment. Memorize them- print them out on index cards for quick reference if you have to. Because, believe me, the first time you try to use an illusion in an unusual fashion, you'll want those rules at hand. Most DMs don't know how to handle illusions, so it's up to you as the player to help them make expedient rulings by preparing beforehand.

D-naras
2009-10-03, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys. Really good stuff. If anyone else has some advice to give plz feel free!

TheStillWind
2009-10-03, 06:58 PM
Buy 1 or 2 Quall's feather token (tree) wait till you find the most nonsensical place for a big tree (under BBEG?) and activate.

Also, take the feat precocious apprentice at level 1. It gives you access to 1 level 2 spell at level 1. Useful for beguilers because the advanced learning states that you choose a sorc or wiz illusion/enchantment spell of a level no higher then you know. Since you know 2nd level spells...

It usefulness fades with other casters because when you hit a level that you can cast 2nd level spells naturally it only allows an extra 2nd level spell slot. But with anything with advanced learning, 2nd level known spell this early, yes thank you.

Be sure to discuss it with your DM because the early 2nd level spell could be broken depending on what you pick. I like to make beguiler/warblade gishes so I take the spell bladeweave, it is far from broken.

gorfnab
2009-10-04, 02:14 AM
Or you could be a Beguiler (from Shining South) - they're these cute little intelligent rodent things with some nice natural attacks, Small size, constant true seeing, and +8 to Hide checks.

I'm currently playing a Beguiler Beguiler in a campaign and it is awesome. With a high enough bluff check you can pretend to be a party member's familiar. It's natural attacks +free Multiattack feat + Weapon Finesse can turn you into a furry little Cuisinart if necessary.

Another great race option is Whisper Gnome (RoS). With the Magic in the Blood (PGtF) feat at first level you'll have plenty of spells and SLAs to keep you busy for a few levels. This race is extremely roguish and just awesome for a Beguiler or roguish character. For builds for a Whisper Gnome I would go with either Beguiler 5/ Spellthief (CV) or Rogue 1/ Unseen Seer (CM) 2/ Beguiler 2/ Shadow Craft Mage (RoS) 5/ Shadowcrafter (UD) 5 or Beguiler 5/ Shadow Adept (PGtF) 1/ Beguiler 2/ Shadow Craft Mage 5/ Shadowcrafter 7.

With Beguilers I recommend getting some sneak attack damage. A level of Rogue or Spellthief + 2 levels of Unseen Seer with Advanced Learning: Hunters Eye (PHBII) will net you 2d6 +1d6/3CL sneak attack damage. Add this in with Whisper Gnome, Craven (CoR) feat, and Silencing Strike (RoS) feat and you'll be looking at very interesting character.

For later in the game look into getting a Ring of Darkhidden (MIC), Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM) in possible combination with the Darkstalker (LoM) feat.

Thespianus
2009-10-04, 07:08 AM
With Beguilers I recommend getting some sneak attack damage. A level of Rogue or Spellthief + 2 levels of Unseen Seer
...but..but..you won't hit *anything* ;)

1 level of Rogue and 2 levels of US will make you lose 2 points of BAB for 3 levels on top of the half BAB of the Beguiler, ie at level 10 you would have a BAB of 4(!)

Relying on sneak attacks with such a poor BAB (and a D4 hit die) sounds..well, like a poor way to play a Beguiler, IMHO.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-04, 07:32 AM
...but..but..you won't hit *anything* ;)

You will if you have a way to make touch attacks. Admittedly, this is slightly easier for regular wizards (who also get all their higher level spells a level earlier). But you can e.g. get a reserve feat that lets you do that, and stack on sneak attack damage.

Thespianus
2009-10-04, 07:49 AM
You will if you have a way to make touch attacks. Admittedly, this is slightly easier for regular wizards (who also get all their higher level spells a level earlier). But you can e.g. get a reserve feat that lets you do that, and stack on sneak attack damage.

The Reserve Feats that give you ranged touch attacks are Acidic Splatter, Clap of Thunder and Force Needle. I might be mistaken, but there are really few spells on the Beguiler spell list that are tagged as [Acid], [Sound] or [Force], isn't it?

I might be mistaken, though.

One way around it might be wands, ofcourse, but that seems kinda far fetched.

Oh well, I just see it as hard to make a sneak attacking Beguiler worthwhile, but I might be mistaken.