PDA

View Full Version : A Prince's Ransom

Kyace
2009-10-03, 06:24 PM
You've each received a letter with an elven wax seal, delivered by a magically enchanted animal, pigeon or salmon, that made its way to your nightly resting place. The letter was brief, offering you, specifically, a job if you'd come to this town and met with the Captain of the Swiftfeather by this evening at a dockside bar. Attached was an advance, enough for you to travel comfortably and quickly here with some (2000gp) left over.

You find yourselves in Leafspring, a small but bustling elven port town. The harbor is in the estuary of the Dewjewel river while trees grow up to the edge of the water, with most shops and houses being in the trees. A few squat warehouses are bunched at one end of the docks, ugly and foreign compared to the elven architecture.

The docks are filled with fishing vessels and small merchant ships, but two elven wingships dominate the docks, both visually and traffic-wise, as most of the foot traffic along the docks are to and from these ships.

The weather is typical for late summer afternoon, comfortable, and although the wind as been light for days, it just calmed down to nothing just as you arrived.

Morpheus
2009-10-03, 07:24 PM
Morqos saunters over to where he is needed and starts inspecting the bar. He walks around the building a couple times before being satisfied with what he has seen. He then walks in before ordering something to drink to pretend to be drinking while look at everybody else in the bar.

Kyace
2009-10-03, 07:59 PM
The bartender nods and hands you a honeyed ale. You notice that the bar is scattered with elves, chatting amiably in a language you easily recognize as elven. The bartender is half elf and you notice an aquatic gentle-elf at a table nursing a tankard. From the bicorne on the table beside him, you make him for a captain. The captain has two cutlasses on his belt and is dressed in well made but very oily leathers.

There are only a few other people in the bar, but none are close to the table, mostly gathering around a small raised stage where a cute elf plays a harp. She seems to be getting more attention than her music.

Morpheus
2009-10-03, 09:10 PM
Morqos takes a swig of the sweet ale, before going and sitting across from the presumable Captain. Are you the Captain of the Swiftfeather? I am Morqos.

Kyace
2009-10-03, 09:25 PM
"Aye, Captain Misthawk. Welcome, you're a bit early, but we can wait together for the rest of your group. I hope your trip here was pleasant?"

Morpheus
2009-10-03, 09:30 PM
It was. I have been here before though, looking for work. I am afraid it is quite hard to find water work that doesn't involve being a pirate, so I have had to make due.

Kyace
2009-10-03, 09:44 PM
The Captain's eyes flicker down to Morqos' forearm briefly when you mention piracy. "It seems like there are more pirates than merchants on the waves some days. It's a wonder they don't starve themselves to death."

Reptar
2009-10-03, 10:31 PM
A large elephant seal is seen circling the two Wingships and then disappears up the coast. Later from the between the roots of a mangrove tree emerges a hulking man. His muscles strain against his sharkskin suit as he clambers up onto the boardwalk from the muddy beach. The short cropped hair on his head and jaw is damp, and as he shakes his head the light caches the droplets.
He stoops through the doorway in the exaggerated manner of one who has had difficulty with them in the past. As he enters he places one hand on the hilt of his greatsword to help it clear the lintel as well. He takes care to wipe his muddy feet at the doorway and walks to the bar. Placing a handful of coin on the counter he requests mead and applejack mixed in a beer stein. Unless all they have is that fancy elven mead, then it is just be a pint of that, no point in masking the flavor.
Upon receiving his drink, he leaves the rest of the coin on the counter and tells the barkeep to keep it flowing. Standing behind a seat across from Morqos, and looking over the aquatic elf's livery, he asks,
<Aquan>You wouldn't by chance be the captain of a ship called Leafspring?</Aquan>
Sitting down after the affirmation, and removing his large pack and scabbard to do so, he introduces himself in common with a tap of his large nose.
I'm the one known as Carpenter, looking more directly at the captain, you sought my aid?

Kyace
2009-10-03, 11:56 PM
The wizened bartender nods, then prepares and hands you a small cask with a handle attached and one end removed, about twice the size of Morqos' tankard, filled with a strong apple brandy.
<Aquan>"Yes, please sit."</Aquan>
"Not myself, but my liege. As you might have suspected, I'm a Captain in King Goldendawn's Navy. If you don't mind, I'd like to wait for two more people before I go over the mission. I can answer any other questions you might have or you can enjoy your drink in silence, it just seems bothersome to explain the same information four times."

Reptar
2009-10-04, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I recon I do have a few more simple questions. Wallace takes a hearty swig of his fortified mead, the sharp taste of the alcohol conterbalacing the sweetness of the honey and apples. Firstly who's the captain of the other ship and what's her name? Will we get the chance to meet him? Also how long do you expect to wait for the other two, and is there time for grub?
If so on the last bit, and if the pub serves food, he will wave over the barkeep and order "Vegetables, vegetables cooked with meat, red meat. Roots if you can swing it."

Parlity
2009-10-04, 12:53 PM
A grey-muzzled hadozee holding a staff walks into the bar. He limps over to the trio sitting together. "Are you from the Swiftfeather?"

Kyace
2009-10-04, 01:31 PM
"That's the Wavedancer you're thinking of, the fastest sailing ship in our navy." Capt. Misthawk grins, "I'm sure you can make Captain Lily if she's not too busy."

The barkeep sends a runner out who shortly returns with a hearty beef and potato stew.

To the Hadozee, "Aye, Captain Misthawk at your service."

Parlity
2009-10-04, 10:27 PM
"Bansh, at your service Captain Misthawk." He nods to the others at the table.

Mumbling "Ahhh, my aching shoulder," he sets his long seaman's bag down and takes a seat. He is naked except for the gear of his trade: a bandoleer of wands and scrolls across his chest, a knotted coil of rope wrapped around his shoulders, fine cloth gloves, and a pearl earring in his right ear. A rope belt holds a dagger.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he says to Morqos and Wallace.

Morpheus
2009-10-05, 07:49 AM
Morqos nods at the Hadozee before drinking some more of his ale.

Reptar
2009-10-05, 06:04 PM
The thick stew pours off of the delicate spoon in a brown glooping waterfall as Wallace retroactively cools it down. He's sucking on a burnt tongue when the mage introduces himself.
"Ach, a pleasure here as well." Wallace waves away the compliment, "Come, have a seat, a drink, and a bite to eat." He stands up, shakes the Hadozee firmly by the hand and ushers him to sit. "A fifth is to join us here, but it may be a while yet."
As the Hadozee sits the large man stretches out, leans back and balances his chair on the back legs. He begins blowing on the steaming bowl of stew with a surprisingly large lung capacity.

Parlity
2009-10-06, 12:13 AM
Bansh grins, "A bite to eat sounds good." He orders bread and stew from the barkeep.

Drinky Ogre
2009-10-11, 09:22 AM
Closer to the edge of Leafspring, a large break of water speedily surges for shore. Soon a mottled green and brown back breaks the surface, belonging to a massive animal of the deep. With a thunderous splash, a reptillian head breaches along with a flippered body that slides onto a nearby beach. Perched between the long neck of the dinosaur, sat Kimaku.

The druid dismounted from his companion, and the animal brought its head around, staring at him obviously expecting some kind of praise. The darfellan fished around in his belt puch, and produced a small fish from his local isle. The Elasmosaur opened its toothy maw and Kimaku threw the fish in, then thumped the dinosaurs side.

Stay deep Aurok, I will call for you soon.

Aurok let out a low throaty growl, a sign of aknowledgement, and then pushed its massive bulk back into the water, quickly dissapearing from view.

=======================================

A short time later, Kimaku entered the designated bar. The wiry darfellan towered over most of the patron in the bar, and many regarded him with curious looks. Indeed, Kimaku looked strange and foriegn, his cloak hiding rune inscribed leather armor and a dark shield. A scimitar carved into the likeness of an ancient fish was strapped to his waist.

Noticing a motley crew in the corner, Kimaku surmised this must be the Captain in question who needed his services. Kimaku casually walked over to the table, ordering a plate of spiced potatoes as he came to confront the group.

I am Kimaku, are you the Captain who has requested my aid?

Kyace
2009-10-11, 11:16 AM
"Right right, I am Captain Misthawk of the Leafspring." He nods to the bartender who walks over to front door, bolting it. The elves by the stage seem not to notice.

"Thank you all for making the long trips here. You are here to undertake a dire mission for King Goldendawn in locating his youngest son. The Prince was on a diplomatic mission to the Dwarfish cliffs when his ship was attacked by pirates and sunk. Our divinations tell us he is still alive, but we cannot find him using conventional scrying methods. If you'll join me, we'll head to where his ship sank and we'll search the wreck for clues as to his captors and current location. If possible, we will continue the investigation from there and try to reclaim him if possible.

We've not received any ransom request yet but I cannot think of any other reason he'd still be alive otherwise. We may have to negotiate a paying of the ransom if diplomatic communications can be formed with his captors, although I'm not overly optimistic it will be easy. I and the entire elven sovereignty are in your debt if you succeed in this mission." The aquatic elf pauses, "Any questions?"

Morpheus
2009-10-11, 01:10 PM
Morqos swigs the last of his drink and stands up. His trident is on his back and short sword on his left thigh and his pack strung over one shoulder, all items he ever needs. I am ready. He says.

Kyace
2009-10-11, 01:19 PM
Pleasantly surprised, the captain grins. "Such enthusiasm. I think the sky will be calm for the next couple bells, but we can get you settled into your cabins and be ready to ship out." He sips his drink ready to field any questions you may have.

The bartender still hasn't taken any coin for any of the food or drink, leaving Carpenter's coin on the counter untouched. The door is barred but easily unbarred from this side.

Parlity
2009-10-11, 10:20 PM
"Kimaku, pleasure to meet you," Bansh says. He slowly gums down bread dipped in stew as Captain Misthawk speaks.

"Do you have a portrait of the prince or any more information you can tell us of him and the complement on the ship that went down?

What backup will we have from you and your men? ... Will we have contact with the rest of the navy in case there is a ransom demand?

Is your ship stocked with sunrods we may use?" Bansh mumbles to himself, "My memory's gone to dust with forgetting to bring some myself."

Drinky Ogre
2009-10-11, 11:40 PM
Kimaku nods to the hadozee before enjoying his plate of food. Not bad, actually it was very good, for a vegetarian meal potatoes were very well prepared. Kimaku fished around his belt puch and placed several pieces of gold on the table.

A capture of a diplomat such as the Prince....these captors are either very clever, or very foolish....

Kimaku cleaned his plate well within a few minutes, and sat back to meditate on the information the Captain had given him.

The waters are known for thier cleansing nature, if we are to dicern any leads near the area of the Princes dissapearance, we should be ready soon....

Kyace
2009-10-11, 11:41 PM
"It was a courier ship, small but fast. He had a small complement of bodyguards but their primary defense was speed. I don't have a picture with me, but I can have a picture brought aboard before we set sail. I'm afraid most of my crew can't really dive so it'll just be you and sometimes me when we investigate the shipwreck. I'm having them attach a small diving bell on one of the deck mounts while we're in dock to help us. I just know I'm going to miss that catapult at the worst time."

"If they're is combat on the decks, any man not currently doing something to keep the ship sailing will help fight, count on it. That's their ship too. As to the rest of the navy, we'll be in contact with the naval command and the Wavedancer will be accompanying us part way."

"We have a bit of airweed and sunrods, but not an excessive amount. I'm afraid this isn't our primary mission so we're not stocked very well to support it. You can ask the quartermaster for some minor supplies like that and he'll try to help you."

Reptar
2009-10-12, 03:31 PM
Watching the ranger rise Wallace's instinct is do the same but he remains seated and looks over to the captain to see that he has done the same.

"I and the entire elven sovereignty are in your debt if you succeed in this mission."

"Not yet ye won't be, me and my people still have much to thank you for after all these decades of keeping your coasts safe for the seals an' selkie alike. But I do have a pair of questions, can we expect Prince Goldendawn to act in an intelligent manner, how old is he? Also, while I'm not versed in the arts of the mage, I'm curious as to what manner of unconventional divination you lot used to determine that he was alive. While I and my people are in debt to the aquatic elves an' their kin, I'd rather not be tied to something unwholesome."

Parlity
2009-10-13, 01:58 AM
"Thank you, Captain. I'll speak to the quartermaster about sunrods and I appreciate your trouble over the portrait. It would be good to recognize the prince, though disguising magics are easy to come by."

Bansh rubs his shoulder absentmindedly while he speaks and sets down the delicate spoon in the bowl, ready to depart.

Kyace
2009-10-19, 06:58 PM
Captain Misthawk nods to the barkeep and heads toward the door. Unbarring it, he looks over his shoulder, "See you all on the ship," before heading out.

<Two Hours Later>

The Swiftfeather is an elven wingship of the typical delicacy and graceful lines of swan with the speed of a hawk. There are two balistias on the deck and you can see the fittings for a catapult's ammunition beside the winch and bell. The last items are being stowed aboard and rigging is being prepared to launch.

You've been shown two jointed officer's rooms to use as your all's rooms. There are a two beds in each room. The crew seems to be entirely elves, with a few being half-elves or aquatic elves. Most of the chitchat seems obviously enough, in elven, but the tone seems relaxed and the crew seem used to their jobs, as if they've done them for decades together.

Once you get on board you'll have about an hour to explore before the ship sets sail. The wind is almost too light to sail by and wouldn't even move a heavy human warship. The ship covers about 12 miles uneventfully before sun set.

Morpheus
2009-10-19, 08:24 PM
Morqos looked around a bit. Mainly at the deck, steering, rigging, you know useful stuff. He spent some time below deck looking at crew quarters, the galley, storage, but he mainly whizzed by and didn't really inspect anything. Before looking around he put his stuff in the farthest starboard side bed. No particular reason, just the way he does things. He doesn't mind who he rooms with, the whole party seems nice and not to bad. He doesn't bother with the elves much, as he only speaks common. Although he thinks that Elven could be a useful language in the future for he would like to work with them more, for they seem like nice creatures.

Reptar
2009-10-21, 09:17 PM
The large man quietly finds his berth and drops his pack and scabbard beside the bed, or under it if there's space. From his massive pack he pulls a oiled leather sack and empties out a number of fur garments onto the bed along with a heavy blanket and bedroll from a similar sack. Leaving the pile he returns to deck to see if he can be of any use to ready the ship. If not he will take a nap.

Kyace
2009-10-22, 03:16 PM
Morqos
You look around the ship and don't notice anything out of place, however you think you see the barkeeper from the docks in the galley.

Wallace
The sailors seem in a good mood and let you help tie off some of the lines and such. You manage to not embarrass yourself by tying them off in a secure and serviceable knots, as well as carry some supplies into the hold.
Rolled a 12 Profession (Sailor) check.

Everyone
The second day, which is the first day of full travel, passes relatively uneventful. The winds seem slack and the ship is barely moving in the water and you pass a few human sailing ships stuck in the calm unmoving. Your ship signals them and they return that they are otherwise fine. A few elven ships are out, sailing on the barest wisps of breeze.

Any actions for the second day?

Morpheus
2009-10-22, 05:58 PM
Morqos laughs at the possible barkeep galley cook, but it doesn't seem that out of place to him, he just finds it somewhat funny.

Morqos does nothing the next day except lay around and maybe swim or help out if needed.

Parlity
2009-10-22, 06:33 PM
Bansh arrives at the ship with his sailor's duffel bag bulging.

Actions for the second day: he helps with ship duties and chats with the crew to get to know them better.

Bansh asks Captain Misthawk for the location of the kidnapped Prince's shipwreck. He offers to change runestaffs to cast favorable winds 3/day for the third day if needed. He will not be as prepared to explore the wreckage if he is using his ship's mage runestaff and they reach the wreckage the 3rd day.

An albatross flies high in the air above the ship.

Kyace
2009-10-22, 06:49 PM
The Captain frowns at Bansh. "Nay, under normal sails, it'd take us a fortnight to get to the wreck. At this pace, maybe a month."

Parlity
2009-10-24, 01:20 PM
"I can swim behind the two ships tomorrow and blow us onwards with strong winds for up to 4 hours a day." Bansh thinks it over slowly. "It will leave me old bones tired and it may attract unwanted attention."

Kyace
2009-10-24, 01:40 PM
The Captain chews his lip for a moment. "No offense but you don't look like much of a swimmer. If you fill up to casting the spells, I might suggest you just cast it from our stern. We can have the Wavedancer lower her sails and we can tow her behind us."

Drinky Ogre
2009-10-24, 05:50 PM
Kimaku makes the best of his time on the ship, helping in every place that needs filling, from watch duty to basic knot tying. Although warm and friendly to anyone that starts a conversation, hes very inntroverted and keeps to himself , very self conscious.

I might be able to help, or rather I can get a friend

Kimaku went to the starboard side of the ship and whistled harshly, calling to his animal companion Anurok, waiting for his reptilian head to rise from the water.

Reptar
2009-10-24, 10:21 PM
Hearing the conversation Wallace stops working for a moment and lumbers forward, "I also could tow him through the water, but if we can just stick him in a boat being towed by this one why not a dinghy. He could take mine or we could use one of the rowboats. No sense in wasting sail while the wind's good."
His grasp of magic is rather limited to that of the consumer, so his suggestions have the inquisitive tone of someone unsure of their plan.

Upon seeing the huge sea monster He shouts a warning and is halfway to his room, and sword, before putting two and two together. "Wait a moment you called, THAT?"

Kyace
2009-10-24, 10:39 PM
Your animal companion surfaces and looks at you with interest. ((OOC, feel free to describe what your companion is doing))

The Captain chuckles at all the interest and shrugs. "I'll leave you all to figure something out, just tell one of the officers so they can adjust the sails to catch the wind and we can signal to the Wavedancer to do the same." With that he takes a few steps away leaving you somewhat alone.

Parlity
2009-10-25, 12:17 PM
Bansh turns to Wallace and says, "Thanks. It should be easier to concentrate on the spell if you're towing me in a boat." He looks at Kimaku's animal companion with interest.

Reptar
2009-10-28, 06:51 PM
The large man heads below deck, and says to the simian "I don't know how long a rope you'll need so if you can find that I'll be right back." He returns carrying a small box about a foot long. "This should do just fine, provided you don't kick up the surf too much. I'd prefer not to tow you, so if there's any rope we could tie to the bowline and drag it behind the ship that would be great and allow me to steer."

Parlity
2009-10-29, 08:52 PM
Bansh takes out a 45' length of silk rope from his bag below, meeting Wallace back where he had found Captain Misthawk. "I have 45' of silk rope. If the Wavedancer stays ahead of us, they should catch the wind as well. Strong winds will kick up the surf some. Any old salt should be able to handle it a boat in it."

Strong winds are a Profession(Sailor) DC 5 foundering check 1/day

So elf wingships travel at 40ft/sec, a day's travel covers 40 nautical miles in light wind (20 at half speed) or day and night 80 (40 at half speed) nautical miles. With favorable winds 4 or 8/24 hours of the day we should be making 40 + 33 1/3 or 80 + 26 2/3 nautical miles per day and night of travel.

Kyace
2009-10-29, 09:26 PM
After three days of jetting over the preternaturally calm oceans you come across a human ship becalmed with a flag asking for aid. They are about a mile off now.

Reptar
2009-10-31, 07:18 PM
Not being in charge of the mission Wallace looks to the captain to see what will be done about the stranded humans.

Parlity
2009-11-01, 10:37 PM
Bansh stares at the albatross flying overhead. It drops down and perches on the railing beside the grey-haired hadozee. "Kewpie, go on and scout that ship." The albatross jerks his head and takes off. "Be careful, don't get close to them," Bansh says.

Kyace
2009-11-02, 11:28 AM
Kewpie flies close enough to see that there is nobody on the deck and the sails are limp upon the mast. He doesn't see any rowboats, landing craft or such on the decks.

Parlity
2009-11-03, 12:57 AM
Kewpie wings back and Bansh listens carefully to his report. "Nice work, thanks mate."

Turning to Captain Misthawk and Wallace, Bansh says, "Nobody on deck. The sails are limp. No landing craft visible. Should we investigate?"

Reptar
2009-11-03, 02:44 AM
"I like salvage rights as much as the next guy but don't we have an important mission ahead of us? Do we have the time, or the crew to spare on derelicts?"

Kyace
2009-11-03, 05:01 PM
"I suppose we don't. Still, it wouldn't hurt to sail along side and get a closer look would it? See if any survivors are left."

Parlity
2009-11-03, 06:59 PM
"Aye, Captain. May I join the the boarding party? I suggest boarding and investigating the derelict before grappling, in case there was something dangerous left belowdeck or in the hold."

Morpheus
2009-11-03, 07:31 PM
I can swim over and take a look if needed.

Kyace
2009-11-03, 09:03 PM
"If you insist."

OOC: Who is going over and how?

Parlity
2009-11-04, 10:51 AM
"I'll go with you. Kewpie can keep an eye on us from above."

Morpheus
2009-11-04, 05:21 PM
Alright let us leave. If any one is coming all do so now. Morqos says jumping into the water with his items.

Reptar
2009-11-05, 01:40 AM
"I don't like it, but if everyone else's going..." Wallace end's his apathetic statement with a resigned sigh. He jogs down to his bunk and throws on the backpack runs back to the deck and dives overboard.
The splash is far too large for the sleek dive he executed.

Parlity
2009-11-05, 06:47 PM
Bansh mumbles to himself, waving his arms. The patches of skin between his arms and legs grow outward and he transforms into a bow-legged raptoran. He jumps overboard, flapping his wings.

Casting alter self on Bansh, duration 80 minutes. He's used 1 2nd level spell slot and 3 3rd level spell slots casting favorable winds.

Kyace
2009-11-12, 05:36 PM
Morqos and Wallace are in the water, Bansh and Kewpie are in the air. Kimaku dives off the deck and lands on Aurok's back. As Aurok brings Kimaku closer to the stricken vessel's deck, a swath of barnacles rip themselves free of the hull and swipes at Aurok and Kimaku. The mass of razor sharp barnacles rip at the two of them and black ichor leaks from the wounds causing the water around them to go cloudy. Both shake off the effects and retreat a ways from the creature.

(OOC: That was the surprise round and Kimaku's turn. The three of you left may act in whatever order you like then the creature will act again.)

Parlity
2009-11-12, 10:56 PM
Before anyone attacks, Bansh dives downward, then levels off into a glide and cries out sharply, waving his arms.

"What is that creature?" he yells, trying to be heard from far away.

Casting charm monster when he's in range. Save DC 19.

Kyace
2009-11-12, 11:19 PM
Charm Monster seems to have no affect on the barnacle creature.

Reptar
2009-11-13, 03:11 AM
A white plume of water sprays from the surface of the sea as Wallace, now an unrecognizable massive and scarred pinniped, charges through the water toward the barnacled beast. His teeth grind against barnacles as they search for flesh to rend.

Charging Bite 10ft reach.
Attack Roll: (+7BAB, +5Str, -1Size, +2 Charge, -3PwrAtk) [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Knock-back (huge or smaller): Bull Rush (+5Str, +4Size, +2 Charge, +3PwrAtk) [roll2]

Kyace
2009-11-13, 07:24 AM
The bite is deflected off the flank of the huge creature causing only superficial damage.

Parlity
2009-11-16, 02:00 AM
"Kewpie, you got any ideas?" Bansh shouts out.

Trying to identify the creature.

Bansh's rolls
Knowledge(nature) [roll0]
Knowledge(arcana) [roll1]

Kewpie's rolls
Knowledge(nature) [roll2]
Knowledge(arcana) [roll3]

edit: nature and arcana should be swapped.

Kyace
2009-11-16, 05:06 PM
Bansh
You can see the creature seems to be some gestalt of coral and barnacles
Kewpie
You can obviously see the thing is a construct made of living coral and barnacles, a signature ability of sahuagin spellcasters.

Parlity
2009-11-17, 01:35 AM
"Kreeawk! Awk! Awk!", Kewpie screeches at Bansh.

"Construct! Sahuagin!" Bansh shouts in warning. He flaps his wings, turning around to head back towards Kimaku.

Kyace
2009-11-17, 11:29 PM
Morqos swims up to the creature and attacks it with his trident, which doesn't scratch it.

The creature forgets about Kimaku and turns toward Morqos and Wallace who are next to it. It lasts out at the two of them with all four of its spidery legs in turn. The first two strike Morqos squarely. Brutally beaten and the ichor tails in the water after the strikes but Morqos seems to shake off the effects for now.
Two more limbs come after Wallace, striking him quite securely with the first then following with another from the other side that hits him hard.

Kimaku looks a bit dull eyed and sickly and doesn't seem responsive. Aurok uncertainly hangs back.

Morqos takes 26 damage.
Wallace takes 6 nonlethal and 24 lethal damage. Make two fort saves for me please, DC 18 or be stunned for a round. Don't roll a natural 1. :P

OOG: NPCs are done, PCs turn.

Reptar
2009-11-18, 05:10 AM
The bull seal disappears beneath the waves leaving only a red stain in the water. Then second's later it leaps vertically from the water on the far side of the stricken ship. Morphing in mid air the selkie scrabbles to gain a hold on the decks railing and grabs hold. He pulls himself up and looks for survivors still on the ship. "Please don't be afraid I'm here to help. I can get you to safety."

Vertical Jump: -10 water +8 speed +5 str 16 vertical reach
[roll0] roll/4 +16 = total height

Climb up: +5 str [roll1] DC15

Parlity
2009-11-18, 07:25 PM
Bansh flaps, turning in a circle to land on the ship next to Wallace. The albatross glides closer and lands on the railing next to Bansh. Bansh mutters and waves his hands. The albatross separates into 7 identical images standing on the rails and Bansh into 4 bow-legged raptorans.

Casting mirror image on self including familiar. Kewpie [roll0] Bansh [roll1]
"This could be a sahuagin trap." Bansh mutters to Wallace. "Keep your eyes peeled Kewpie, mine aren't as good as they used to be," Bansh reminds his long suffering and faithful familiar. Seven albatrosses nod and look sharp.

Kyace
2009-11-18, 08:40 PM
Morqos attacks again with both his trident and his short sword dealing very superficial damage to the creature, which starts to heal almost immediately.

However, without Wallace to distract it, the creature turns all four of its limbs to bear onto Morqos and lashes him with a brutal beat down, knocking him unconscious. He floats face down on the surface of the water unmoving just out of the creature's reach.

Kimaku regains his senses for a moment and directs Aurok toward Morqos trying to grab him before he drowns, but is about 40 feet away at the end of the round.

((OOC: Go ahead PCs))

Reptar
2009-11-18, 09:11 PM
Wallace begins searching the ship for survivors or ship mounted weapons that could be brought to bare against the construct. His sword drawn and readied he smashes his way through any locked doors shouting to any crew still aboard. "Were here to help, but we can't hold off this monster much longer, you have thirty seconds before we leave you behind." His bellows roll through the timbers of the ship.

Parlity
2009-11-19, 03:13 PM
"Creeawk!!" Kewpie screams loudly.

Bansh's head whips around and a single garbled word spills out, followed by, "Good job Kewpie. That'll float Morqos to the surface."

One hand rubbing his neck, the bowlegged raptoran hastens after Wallace. He flings open any unlocked doors to let Kewpie look inside.

Bansh's readied action: charm monster. Kewpie's spot check [roll0] +10 (racial)

Kyace
2009-11-22, 09:51 PM
Wallace, you hear a weak reply but it is too faint to understand or pinpoint.

Reptar
2009-11-22, 11:13 PM
Hearing the voice Wallace drops down through the hatch to the hold stops to listen and runs toward the noise.

Parlity
2009-11-23, 01:28 AM
Bansh calls up dancing lights to illuminate the hold before gliding down behind Wallace.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-23, 08:54 PM
you come into a room with various torture implements. There are the classics such as a stretching rack and an Iron maiden which is where the sound seems to be coming from. In the Iron maiden you can see the victim's face. A blue and silver skinned Reptilian race. which one you're not sure. They have a scar going across their right eye and two bull like black horns.

(Kyace asked me to post this for my character)

Parlity
2009-11-23, 10:03 PM
"A torture chamber! What kind of ship was this?" Bansh mumbles as he tries to open the iron maiden.

Reptar
2009-11-23, 10:53 PM
"Hold up wizard." Wallace places a hand on the old hadozee's shoulder, "You yourself identified the construct to be of sahuagin make, and it was attacking this ship, in which we find a prisoner. Tell me, what can be said about the enemy of your enemy's enemy?"

"You there, how did you come to be here? Where is the rest of the crew?" The large and dripping man turns his attention to the captive. "Answer quick, or we'll have to continue this debriefing back aboard our ship. It's a rough ride and you won't be released until we're sure we can trust you." He pauses to listen for any sign of the monster they left behind.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-24, 02:58 AM
The reptilian race answers in a voice that sounds like it's been long denied the comfort of water Sahuagin caught me....... by surprise.......Took me......prisoner......stuck me here.........Couldn't get out..........Otherwise...........death..... help......please

Reptar
2009-11-24, 01:23 PM
Glancing around the room to see what's on hand besides torture devices,"So this is your ship then? Meaning they left you in your own torture device, how ironically poetic, and unlike them. Ok, enemy of my enemy, we'll let you out. However, stick close 'cause you'll have some answers to give once we clear this wreck." Wallace begins opening the spiked coffin, tensed and alert should anything unexpected happen.

Parlity
2009-11-24, 05:39 PM
"Gnuh," Bansh grunts in acknowledgment and steps back, nudging Wallace on the elbow. As Wallace speaks, Bansh backs up to the entrance to the torture chamber. "Keep an eye out," he mutters to Kewpie. The albatrosses rustle their wings and glare outside the room and at the iron maiden. One of the images of Bansh steps slightly out of the room and casts Charm Monster on the reptilian, before slipping back inside.

Kyuubi feel free to make the save if you want to.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-24, 09:36 PM
I don't think there's any need to make the save.

Kyace
2009-11-25, 11:34 AM
The reptile doesn't seem to be affected by the spell.

Parlity
2009-11-25, 01:19 PM
Bansh mumbles a curse before stepping back into the room.

Reptar
2009-11-25, 01:20 PM
"Okay there you go, It's open. Now is there any one or any thing still in need of rescue from this ship?" Helping the weak reptilian out of the spiked chamber Wallace casts an eye around the room looking for manacles or other such restraints to bind their new friend. They should somewhere in a room such as this.

Parlity
2009-11-25, 08:48 PM
Bansh mutters and casts prestidigitation. With a grimace on his greying muzzle, he freshens up the reptilian's face, cleaning off any blood, "Can't do much more than that for healing."

Mystic Muse
2009-11-27, 02:43 AM
ugh, I don't think so she says.

when she gets out you notice she looks less reptilian and much more draconic. She has wings and a tail, although the tail looks much less so.

Reptar
2009-11-28, 03:24 AM
"I'm sorry about this, we can't take any chances, I hope you understand." Wallace says as he locks a pair of manacles around the draconian's wrists. With a second set for the feet in hand he looks at the wings and sets them down. "Well, I'll feel sorry later should you have a good explanation for all this. Now, do you have any thing aboard that you can't live without? We're burning down the ship before any other sailors are lured to a trap. Bansh see to it. Come on girl let's get out of here." Supporting and leading the weak dragonborn Wallace climbs the stairs to the deck above.

Kyace
2009-11-28, 11:58 AM
As you're being lead out of the torture room, you see a scythe and some armor stuffed under one of the bunks in a side room. It seems out of place as the rest of the room is furnished with cheaply made junk (rags for blankets and such). The room has crude chests, hempen hammocks and frail little desks. Sammael suspects that this room might be the crew quarters as the room is still better than the slave quarters what with presence of blankets, seats and cushions and lack of bars and manacles.

Parlity
2009-11-28, 12:09 PM
Bansh grabs the out of place gear. "Agh my back! Here, take this will you?" he says, placing it over Sammael's manacled arms.

"See to it, Wallace says," Bansh mumbles to himself, "Like a ship's mage would carry anything to set a ship on fire. " He riffles through desks looking for a tindertwig or flint and steel and then quickly jogs through the rest of the ship to let Kewpie check for other survivors. He heads the bridge looking for officer's logbooks or clues to what happened to the ship.

Parlity
2009-11-28, 12:36 PM
Knowledge[arcana] [roll0] to identify Sammael's race.

Kyace
2009-11-28, 01:33 PM
Parlity, your infodump
The dragonborn were originally followers of the Bahamut that invoked a transformation to better serve their deity, however they shared dragonkind's ability to reproduce with almost any race and as a result of pairings with generally good half-dragons and such became a full fledged race over the centuries. Modern dragonborn are all most always claim a couple of the 'true' Bahamut transformed dragonborn as well as a couple half-dragons (and therefore dragons) among their ancestors. They remain predominately good aligned and can call upon some of the fearsome power of the dragons. Dragonborn play a predominate role in the Draconic Lands, typically as lower nobility in lands ruled by metallic dragon barons or middle-class in chromatic dragon baronies. They tend not to be as common as more normal half-dragons.

Parlity
2009-11-28, 06:11 PM
Bansh interrupts his searching to hustle up to the deck. "Wallace, hold up a moment." Muttering in Wallace's ear on the other side of Sammael, he says, "The youngster's a dragonborn and they're good fellows for the most part. I don't like your chances of carrying her while you're in the water. I can spell her to float but you'll be towing close to 13 stone and that sahuagin construct is probably still down there."

If Wallace speaks to Sammael, Bansh remains silent. Otherwise he questions Sammael, "Do you follow Bahamut? What's your name?" If she answers positively, he continues with, "Are you well enough to do a little swimming?"

Thank you Kyace.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-28, 09:12 PM
I do indeed Follow Bahamut. Whether I can swim or not depends on how far. my chances would be much greater too if you had some form of water on you. If we can't stop for water I understand as it sounds like you have something after you. If this is the case we'll talk later and leave now.

Parlity
2009-11-29, 12:39 AM
"There's a sahuagin construct on the outside of this ship. I'm in a hurry to get back to our ship to defend her in case sahuagin attack them. They can't be far with their construct here." Bansh grimaces, "It will take time to find something to set the ship alight or scuttle it. Kewpie and I can look for potables on the way."

Mystic Muse
2009-11-29, 01:48 AM
If you're looking to set the ship on fire I might be able to do something.

Reptar
2009-11-29, 03:18 PM
"Do that and I'll take those things off." Wallace scans the empty horizon then looks to the Leafspring, "After all where would you go? Do you think you can fly to our ship if I find you some water? Or fly while towed?
He begins hunting for potable water and a length of rope, and if needed will smash things into kindling.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-29, 04:53 PM
I doubt I can reach your ship with flight but I'm a surprisingly good swimmer. Just get me some water once we get on the boat and let me wield the scythe and the ship will be aflame.

Parlity
2009-11-29, 06:54 PM
"Good" Bansh says to Sammael. "Wallace, it's too dangerous to have her manacled while swimming past that coral and barnacle construct or setting the ship on fire. She can't swim or defend herself as well. I can make her smaller if she'll agree to it," he pauses to tap one of the scroll cases on his bandoleer. "Better for dodging and less of a threat if she attacks."

Bansh will look in the bridge, taking Sammael with him if Wallace does not take her.

Bansh's Spot [roll0] Search [roll1]
Kewpie's Spot [roll2] Search [roll3]

Mystic Muse
2009-11-30, 06:08 PM
Fine. If it gets me water and some form of meat preferably I'm up for it.

Kyace
2009-11-30, 08:17 PM
Searching the bridge carefully, you discover a cloak with faint embroidery, a silk eye-patch, a ring and 900 gp.

Parlity
2009-11-30, 11:33 PM
are there any officer's logbooks or food or water in the bridge? Not sure what to roll to find the galley. Sorry I messed up Kewpie's Search roll. I think his Search is 0 ranks - 1 (int modifier)

"Huh." Bansh casts detect magic and concentrates while looking at the items and around the bridge. He takes the items and puts what he can in his beltpouch. The rest he gives to Sammael.

"Let's try to find the galley," Bansh suggests to Sammael, concentrating as he walks.

Bansh's Spot [roll0] Search [roll1]
Kewpie's Spot [roll2] Search [roll3]

Kyace
2009-12-01, 04:50 PM
The ring detects as faint illusion, the cloak as faint divination and the cloak conjuration. While casting detect magic, you notice a rune along the inside of the ring and are able to identify it as a Ring of Silent Spells. You don't gleam enough about the other items at this time to identify them.

Searching the galley, you discover a few moldy old rations and a half empty wineskin. The place looks like it was ransacked in a hurray.

Parlity
2009-12-01, 07:48 PM
"Ahh, moldy rations and a half-empty wineskin! Here, let me take that," he says, taking what Sammael is carrying and handing over the rations and wineskin.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 05:54 PM
I smell the wineskin to see what's within and eat the rations.

Reptar
2009-12-04, 10:03 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
I'm now looking for lanterns or torches along with other flammables and rope.
Upon finding them I will begin piling them up beneath the main sail.

Kyace
2009-12-07, 11:07 PM
The wine is part way to vinegar so won't taste good but doesn't seem to be poison.

You fine plenty of rope but no torches and the lanterns all seem to be bone dry.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-07, 11:37 PM
I drink the wine, drop the skin and hold my hand out and open expectantly.

should I set the ship on fire now? If so that Scythe would certainly be useful

Parlity
2009-12-08, 01:11 AM
Bansh looks out from under the pile of Sammael's equipment that he is carrying. "Wallace?," he asks queryingly.

Reptar
2009-12-08, 05:28 AM
"It's up to you, I can't fly, but I also can't find anything useful." With a small pile of "kindling" already made below the main sail. Wallace sets to tying two large loops in the ends of the longest rope.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-08, 01:18 PM
I'll take a strike toward the kindling with Burning blade. I don't think I need to make a roll but I will anyway

[roll0] now, I suggest we don't dawdle. Let's go. (wow. What a way to waste a perfectly good 18)

Parlity
2009-12-08, 07:14 PM
"Ahh my aching wing muscles." He says as he hands over Sammael's equipment. "Kewpie, what's it look like out there?" Bansh asks.

Kewpie: Spot check for Kimaku and Morqos [roll0]

As Sammael sets fire to the ship, he mutters and flexes his wings. Casting haste on Kewpie, self, Wallace, and Sammael.

Kyace
2009-12-08, 11:13 PM
The Swiftfeather has drifted about five hundred feet downwind of the vessel, The barnacle construct and your allies are not visible at a quick glance.

Reptar
2009-12-09, 07:47 AM
Laying the knotted rope out on the deck Wallace pulls a pouch from his belt and hands it to Bansh. "I've got a bit of an awkward request. In that bag is a pair of fin-studs, and a hammer. I trust that you are familiar on how to use one. I'd do it myself but I'll have no thumbs. Please stick them in the fatty part, it hurts less." Glancing at the fire to make sure it has begun to catch, "Can you fly while towed?" he asks both winged creatures before adding a final "You might want to look away now" as he expands in a surge of blubber and fur.

Parlity
2009-12-09, 03:42 PM
"Creeak ack, squeaaak...", Kewpie says.

"Aye Wallace," Bansh says seriously. He watches the blubber and fur expansion with a look of intense concentration. Taking out the fin-studs from the pouch, he prods the fattiest looking part of Wallace's fin and hammers in the pins of the fin-studs, attaching the fins.

"I can fly while you tow, but I'd rather you go ahead and get to the Swiftfeather. She's drifted too close and I can't see Kimaku or Morqos. I've hasted us so we shouldn't be too far behind." Bansh says with a worried look.

Reptar
2009-12-11, 06:02 AM
Taking the middle of the rope in his mouth he massive elephant seal shuffles to the edge of the ship thumps his tail on the deck and looks at the two fliers impatiently.

Parlity
2009-12-11, 10:10 PM
Bansh takes the right end of the rope and knots it around the middle of his runestaff. Kewpie grabbing the rope with a claw during the knot-tying. Bansh hugs the runestaff on either side of the knot and flexes his wings. Kewpie lands on Bansh's back and holds onto Bansh's belt with with his claws.

use rope [roll0] Kewpie's aid other check [roll1]

Reptar
2009-12-12, 12:13 AM
Seeing the Bansh tying the knot and realizing what he is doing Wallace mouths the rope to shorten the length to about bridle length. He arches his back then lets it fall. His belly makes a loud smack against the deck as the fire chars its way up the mast.

Parlity
2009-12-16, 12:45 PM
Bansh climbs onto Wallace and grabs the seal and staff with rope with all his might. "Let's get back to the Swiftfeather," he says with a worried note in his voice.

Parlity
2009-12-18, 02:18 PM
"Come on young fellow, let's get to the Swiftfeather," Bansh calls to Sammael while clinging tightly to Wallace and the runestaff.

Reptar
2009-12-20, 12:32 PM
Thundering across the deck like a galloping slug the massive elephant seal crashes through the deck railing and splashes into the surf. A moment passes then the heads of the raptorian and raven rise through the waves as the seal, half submerged, hurtles along the surface leaving a huge wake behind.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-20, 11:57 PM
I'll fly to the Swift feather along with them. Following them because my character isn't exactly sure what the swiftfeather looks like.

Parlity
2009-12-23, 07:03 PM
Kewpie struggles behind Bansh's back, his webbed feet slipping through Bansh's rope belt. He tries to grab Bansh's belt with his beak. Sputtering, Bansh hangs onto the runestaff, his eyes squeezed partly shut. Over the roar of the ocean, he shouts, "[COLOR="Navy"]Kewpie!"

(Kewpie is an albatross. He's Small sized. He's behind Bansh's back for protection from the wind and splashing waves. It looks like albatrosses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albatross) have duck-type feet and no claws.

I'm thinking Kewpie can try to make a disarm roll to hang onto Bansh's belt with his beak. Alternatively, Bansh can try to hold onto the runestaff with 1 arm and grapple Kewpie with the other one. Any recommendations here?)

Kyace
2009-12-30, 03:25 PM
About a third of the way back to the Swiftfeather, with the smoke of the human vessel blowing in behind you, Wallace is attacked from under the water.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: That was the creature's surprise round, take your actions, you all 'should' beat the thing in initiative so I won't bother rolling. :P

Mystic Muse
2009-12-31, 10:41 PM
I'll close in and attack with my Breath weapon. cold. reflex save of 18 for half [roll0]

breath weapon recharge in [roll1] rounds

Parlity
2010-01-01, 04:57 AM
"Wallace! Drop the rope and I'll take off!" Bansh shouts. Bansh will take off flying if Wallace drops the rope.

Kyace
2010-01-01, 07:14 PM
The construct bobs on the surface just in time to take a face full of cold breath. Barnacles freeze and fall off in places, while their neighbors slowly begin to shift covering these relatively bare spots almost immediately.

Parlity
2010-01-01, 09:24 PM
Bansh hangs on to the runestaff with one arm and casts animate rope on the rope.

Reptar
2010-01-02, 03:47 PM
Spitting out the writhing rope Wallace bucks the Raptorian into the air and turns to face the monster. Jaws once full of hempen cord now fill with the barnacled flesh of the construct as the bulk of his form pivots and smashes into the side of the beast.
Bite then Gore then Slam
Attack: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Kyace
2010-01-02, 04:44 PM
The bite finds purchase, ripping open more barnacles while the other attacks deal only superficial damage. The creature is fowl tasting and the barnacles trail inky blackness behind them as they fall into the deeps.

The animated rope lies in the water draping over Wallace and the creature. The creature sends two of its crab-like legs at Wallace then it raises its misshapen barnacle-covered claws into the air and closes both of them pointing them at the two fliers. Shards of coral and barnacles fly at Bansh and Sammael.

The creature was down 23 HP, but heals 10, bringing it up to -13. It attacks Wallace:
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
Reptar, only take a -5 penalty for your second and third attacks in the future, rather than -5 and -10. One of the perks of natural weapons.

Against Bansh and Sammael, respectively:
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
If either of you are hit and take damage, roll a fort save, DC 18.

Parlity
2010-01-02, 05:16 PM
fortitude save [roll0]

Shards of coral and barnacle slash into Bansh's front and wings as he flaps desperately, gaining height before leveling off into a glide. Kewpie leaves Bansh's side and lands fearlessly on Wallace's back. He bends over and bites the rope, then flings the part draped on Wallace into the water.

Looking back, Bansh screams, "Kewpie get off! Rope wrap!"

Kyace
2010-01-02, 10:27 PM
The creature doesn't seem to recognize the rope as a threat in time and is entangled by the rope, making the construct even more clumsy due to the rope pulling and resisting its every movement.

Reptar
2010-01-04, 01:38 AM
The monstrous seal's eyes film over red as it seeks to bite deeper into the construct. Writhing in the surf the foam issuing from it's mouth and nose are stained black by the ichor of the monster.

Rage-Bite-Slam-Gore
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Kyace
2010-01-08, 02:35 PM
Wallace's bite and slam find weak points and tear into the barnacles with furious abandon. At the same time Sammael falls from the sky and floats on the surface of the water about 40' away from the melee, stunned.

Creature: -13 + -29 = -42; -42 + 10 = -32. Also entangled (-2 to attacks, -4 to dex)

The creature attacks Wallace with two of its limbs again and flings shards of barnacles at Bansh and where it thinks Sammael fell.

Attacking Wallace:
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Attacking Bansh:
[roll4][roll5]
Err, another fort save please vs stunning?

The ranged attack targeting Sammael misses since she is effectively prone and concealed by the waves.

Sammael is no longer stunned; everyone's actions?

Edit: Oh and Reptar, can you also make two AoO for me against the creature? I forgot using ranged attacks provokes.
Edit 2: Heh, you have Combat Reflexes... make that four AoOs, two with rage and two without, please mark which are which since the entangled effect lowers its AC as well. This might suddenly be a shorter fight

Parlity
2010-01-08, 11:35 PM
fort save [roll0] Ouch.

Reptar
2010-01-09, 06:54 AM
Retro BITES
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

Gnawing at the same spot again and again, the material of the construct reforming around his teeth, the berserk elephant seal continues to fail against his opponent in a violent and desperate attempt to bring it down.

[roll8] [roll9] [roll10]
[roll11] [roll12] [roll13]

Kyace
2010-01-09, 08:28 AM
Retro-AoOs bring the creature's HP to -53, still entangled.
Bansh make your fort save VS stun for last round, then your and Sammael's attacks for this round if you please?

All off the seal's attack tear superficially at the barnacles, dealing no lasting damage.

Parlity
2010-01-10, 01:47 PM
Shards of barnacles rip into Bansh, stunning him. His wings fold back as he loses consciousness and he plummets plummets into the water.

Kewpie squawks loudly from Wallace's back.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-11, 05:20 PM
okay. I'll try and land near the thing and attack twice with my scythe. I'll use Burning blade and then Emerald razor with a -5 penalty so that I deal an extra 10 damage if I hit. If I hit I also deal an extra 1d6+8 cold damage (as per your custom school thingy)

[roll0]

[roll1] [roll2]

okay. Critical miss. That would be a no.

Kyace
2010-01-11, 05:44 PM
Creature's HP at -53, then heals 10 to -43, still entangled.
The creature's barnacles begin covering over the metal and coral underneath. The rope is still twisting and wringing as best it can to impede the thing. The creature attacks Wallace with two club-like limbs before attacking Bansh with a shard and swinging another club at Sammael.

Attacking Wallace
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

The shard goes over Bansh's head as he is choking up water in the surf, regaining his bearings. Wallace and Sammael get an AoO and both are in flanking position.

Attacking Sammael.
[roll4][roll5]

Parlity
2010-01-11, 07:32 PM
Coughing, Bansh sputters out a few words. His barnacle studded wings retract into his back and he gulps down water as he sinks below the waves.

Casting alter self to transform into an aquatic elf.

Reptar
2010-01-11, 08:41 PM
AoO: Bite [roll0] [roll1]

Growling in anger and pain, the myriad of wounds itching with the innefective poison, Wallace continues his assault.

Bite - [roll2] Slam - OOPS Gore - OOPS
Bite - [roll3] Slam - [roll4] Gore - [roll5]

Reptar
2010-01-11, 08:43 PM
oops rerolls for attacks slam and gore
Slam - [roll0] Gore - [roll1]

Edit: and the score is
Critical failures:3
Critical successes:0
:smallmad:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 03:33 PM
I'll use Freezing wind to make three attacks against the thing. Unfortunately each attack takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

I doubt any of those hit.

Kyace
2010-01-17, 07:37 PM
The first Freezing Wind hit; make your AoO from the ranged attack please.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 07:39 PM
[roll0]

[roll1]

Kyace
2010-01-19, 06:32 PM
-43-13-8-10+10 = -64, still entangled, flanked.

The creature mindless continuous its attack, despite the metal and coral frame beneath the barnacles showing through.

It attacks Wallace twice, however the rope blocks its eyes causing the second to go wide and miss. It sends another shard to where it last saw Bansh, however he is no longer there and it hasn't see his new form. Then it attacks Sammael.

Attack against Wallace [roll0][roll1]
Second attack against Wallace misses due to the animated rope.
Attack against Bansh, no one there. Take an AoO Wallace and Sammael.
Attack against Sammael [roll2][roll3]

Reptar
2010-01-19, 07:00 PM
AoO: Bite: [roll0] [roll1]

The massive seal is starting to look pale from loss of blood and exertion but, though moving sluggishly, he continues his onslaught without thought or care for his personal safety.
His mind rages with the single desire to take down this unnatural monstrosity. To remove the semblance of life from this, this, thing. There was no cognitive thought in the mind of the beast merely the drive to remove the evil unnatural thing from his sea.

Bite[roll2] Slam[roll3] Gore[roll4]
Bite[roll5] Slam[roll6] Gore[roll7]

Parlity
2010-01-21, 08:05 PM
Bansh waves his arms in fluid gestures, gripping his runestaff tightly. At the end of a long incantation, a sphere of golden dust fills the water and air around the construct.

Casting glitterdust with sculpt spell for a sphere. Aiming the center to avoid Wallace and cover as much of the construct as possible.

Kyace
2010-01-21, 08:56 PM
Bansh's spell fills the water with flecks of gold and badly injuried creature seems to take the brunt of it upon itself, covering the metal and barnacles with gilt.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-25, 08:22 PM
Sammael Gathers as ball of blue energy into her hand and lets it go. As it hits the creature a cascade of bluish white blades comes out and impale the creature, tearing into its flesh and stabbing it in various places.

(that gory enough?)

Kyace
2010-01-25, 10:11 PM
The creature creaks and groans under the assault as shards of barnacles and poofs glitter go flying off of the creature, leaving it's metal skeleton exposed almost entirely. It blindly lunges at Wallace again with its clublike arms but cracks and fissures in the structure explode out and it crumbles just shy of the giant seal. Several large pieces of coral and metal begin sinking into the ocean.

Parlity
2010-01-25, 11:32 PM
"Squawk squawk!" Kewpie says from his precarious location on Wallace's back.

Reptar
2010-01-26, 11:29 AM
Breathing and bleeding heavily Wallace watches the monstrosity sink to the depths, he's about to charge down after it when the squawk of the albatross brings him back to the present. He hurtles below the waves to the Swiftfeather, leaving his compatriots behind and beneath the rising cloud of smoke.
Climbing aboard he ignores all questions and queries as he, now human, makes his way to his room. His heart-rate slowing and the rush wearing thin, he makes his bed and collapses, unconscious, on the floor.

Kyace
2010-01-26, 11:42 AM
Startled sailors jump out of your way but the rest of the ship is a blur as you pass.

Parlity
2010-01-26, 03:42 PM
Kewpie takes off from Wallace's back and races to the Swiftfeather, bright eyes alert for danger.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Bansh swims to the ship beneath the waves. From a safe distance, he watches to see if the construct is disabled, then continues to the ship.

Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

edit: Kewpie's spot mod should be +10, Bansh +1, Listen for both +0

Mystic Muse
2010-01-26, 03:59 PM
Sammael tries to get some form of footing and attempts to jump out of the water and fly to the swift feather.

[roll0]

Kyace
2010-01-26, 05:28 PM
Bansh
In your opinion as a spellcaster, the construct seems well and truly destroyed. The parts remaining (and sinking) are merely the exotic coral components and rare metals of the frame of the construct that there barnacles were anchored to, with the runic lines becoming inoperable when the construct split into multiple pieces. You might suspect that only the barnacles had the ability to regrow and not the entire thing, based on what you observed during the fight.

Kyace
2010-01-27, 12:13 AM
The crew seem startled at first to see a strange person land on the ship but Kewpie lands on her shoulder so the crew seem to leave Sammael alone for the most part. You will see a wounded huge aquatic reptile with a long snake-like neck beside the ship and a couple of sailors are treating its wounds from a rowboat. If you don't resist, you'll be brought to the sick-bay and you'll see a blue skinned humanoid and a killer whale patterned humanoid in beds covered in bandages. Very soon afterwards, three of the fittest looking elven sailors half-carry Wallace into another bed.

To Sammael and Wallace, he says, "Here, drink this," and he hands you both a small vial of bitter-tasting stuff. If you let him, he'll salve and bind your wounds as well.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-27, 12:16 AM
Sammael will say to the healer "I'm fine right now. Make sure to heal the others first."

Reptar
2010-01-27, 03:04 AM
"Geway, five more minutes." Wallace, curled up on the floor, mumbles at the elves when they come in. Realizing what they want he groggily lets them walk him to the sick bay. Bloody and fatigued he uses one for support, waking up more and more along the way. His salty wounds have already begun to clot.
Tiredly he blinks at the elderly elf, "Whut's in it?" is his response to the profered drink. "Don' worry I've been this bad off before. Ya get better at et." the last sentence punctuated with a flop back onto the bed, his feet still dangling over the end. From his large nose comes the occasional light snore.

Kyace
2010-01-27, 11:18 AM
"Something to keep the disease from sticking to ye," says the elf in an almost archaic form of Common.

Reptar
2010-01-27, 11:43 AM
"Well aight then. If you insist." Kicking his feet Wallace rises to a sitting position and takes the offered vial. Making faces he sips down the bitter liquid, "Blegh! This tastes as bad as the thing did. What kind of disease is it?"

Kyace
2010-01-27, 11:37 PM
"It looks like a variant of Coral Scratch but I've never seen any this powerful."

Reptar
2010-01-28, 01:37 AM
"Coral Scratch? Ya had me drink that foul brew for Coral Scratch? I fought off the creeping cold I 'ave. As a pup!"

Kyace
2010-01-28, 01:51 AM
"Normally, Coral Scratch doesn't make ye go feverish and roast your brain," he says gesturing at the two on the bed, "but I'm trying to help them as much as I can."

Reptar
2010-01-28, 02:16 AM
"oh, sorry. I've jus' gone through a major ordeal, and this," He gestures to his myriad of injures, "well, it's uncomfortable. But if I'd got The Scratch then we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we. Ya'd have to pump me lungs ta pour that down me gullet."

Parlity
2010-01-28, 10:24 AM
Bansh sighs in relief as he watches the coral construct sink.

He transforms into a raptoran to return to the Swiftfeather. Clinging onto the deck he mumbles, "Home sweet home."

Kyace
2010-01-28, 01:56 PM
Sailors will try to usher Bansh into the sickbay and there an ancient elf will push a vial into your hands if you let them do so. "Drink this."

Parlity
2010-01-30, 10:31 AM
Bansh meekly walks with the sailors to sickbay. "Squawk squawk squawk!" Kewpie squawks quietly.

"Good, good. That's terrible. I'm fine. I watched to check the construct was disabled." Bansh explains to Kewpie, "Thank you," he says to the ancient elf before he gulps down the vial. "How are Morqos and Kimaku doing?"

Reptar
2010-02-02, 01:57 AM
"Oh, aye! How are the two o' them gettin' along?" Wallace looks sutiably abashed at his own carelessness for his comrades. But he rallies quickly, "You pump them full o' that swill as well?"

Mystic Muse
2010-02-02, 02:15 AM
Sammael is trying to kind of shrug off the pain as she asks how are the other's doing? The guy who morphs into a giant seal or something and the ape thing?"

Reptar
2010-02-02, 04:17 AM
"Crivens! Oi'll forget to molt next. Oi'm Wallace, that there's Bansh, an' those two there, they're Kimaku an' Morqos. They 'elped us save yer life an' they're worse fer ware fer it. Remember those names gel, if'en ya don't want to be back aboard yer burning boat. We don' take kindly to yer name call'n.

A Translation:
"Oh dear. I'm dreadfully forgetful. You may call me Wallace and him, Bansh. The two stricken fellows are Kimaku and Morqos. They granted us assistance in the undertaking of your recovery and they seem to have been injured by that horrible beast. If you will do your best to endeavor to avoid such vulgar slurs and use our proper names you will find your self among friends on this fine vessel."

OOC: Horay for the Nac Mac Feegle. They've been a recent inspiration for my Funetik Aksent (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FunetikAksent) but if it's too much I can turn it down again.

Kyace
2010-02-02, 09:11 PM
The ancient elf turns to Bansh. "Not good. I didn't catch it in time with them so they'll have to fight it off until they beat it or we return to port and get stronger magics. I'm doing all I can for them but it's mostly up to their bodies to fight it off."

Parlity
2010-02-05, 11:13 PM
Bansh nods at Wallace's introduction. "Youngster, what's your name? We should introduce you to Captain Misthawk and report to him."

Bansh nods along as he listens to the ancient elf. His face scrunches up in worry, then relaxes. "Thank you. It's good to hear they're not in immediate danger of dying."

With a shiver, he collapses his wings and returns to hadozee form. Blood oozes out from around the embedded shards with Bansh's wiggling. "Ouch my aching bones," he mumbles.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-05, 11:28 PM
Sammael will cough and wheeze a few times and saySorry. I must be going delirious from lack of water and food. Those damned things never gave me anything to eat.

My name's Sammael. I'm a Dragonborn and I'm a warrior of the platinum dragon Bahamut. Thanks for saving me. I don't think I would have gotten out of there otherwise.

hey, doctor. COuld I please get some water? Or whatever else you have to drink on here?

Kyace
2010-02-09, 07:07 PM
The elder elf bustles around checking on the patients. You almost think he didn't hear you when he grabs a pitcher of water and pours you a tankard. "The galley will have some food if you don't mind a bit of salted beef for now. You'll get better fare once dinner is served."

Mystic Muse
2010-02-09, 07:18 PM
Salted beef is fine. I haven't had any decent fare in while so I imagine it'll taste nice. she'll say before drinking the pitcher in three gulps.

Kyace
2010-02-09, 07:25 PM
The elf looks at the empty pitcher in disbelief before filling it from a tapped barrel on a counter. He then lifts up a hatch on the top of the barrel and mutters something. A very moist swishing is heard and the counter creaks under the barrel suddenly.

Reptar
2010-02-11, 03:16 AM
Stifling a yawn Wallace rises from his seat and stands up. "Can you have the beef sent up to the captains quarters? The lady here needs to speak with him."

Kyace
2010-02-11, 07:12 PM
"Aye, lad."

Parlity
2010-02-16, 01:24 AM
"Squawk!" Under the albatross' steely glare, Bansh lets the ancient elf treat his wounds before leaving sickbay.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-16, 01:58 AM
Sammael finishes about an eigth of the pitcher and takes the res with her. She follows Bansh and Wallace where ever it is they plan on going.

Reptar
2010-02-16, 05:56 AM
Lending a supportive arm where needed, Wallace leads the two to the captain's quarters. "Ya feeling well 'nuf? I'm sure tha captain'll have plenty to ask o you." He asks of the dragonborn.

Kyace
2010-02-16, 11:08 AM
Wallace leads the group to the Captain's quarters. Knocking, he tells you to come in. You see the lively aquatic elf watching the other ship burn out of his window.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-16, 12:55 PM
I'm fine. IN terms of damage I've been through worse she says before taking another drink from the pitcher.

Reptar
2010-02-17, 04:51 AM
"Lucky you."
He finds a chair and slumps into it. "Misthawk, as I'm sure yer aware, we took heavy losses on this trip of yours. Here's tha plunder." He nods at the young lady standing in the doorway. "She was a prisoner aboard tha ship."
He spends a few moments gazing at the blazing ship before interjecting with a grimace. "Ya wouldn't have a bottle lyin' about, would ya? We fought a mighty construct, and a bit o spirit would dull the aches considerable."

Kyace
2010-02-17, 04:40 PM
Misthawk is taken a bit aback at your informality but recovers admirably. "Slavers? I'm surprised to see the dragonkind this far south." The captain studies Sammael a moment. "And to take one of their own, for that matter." He goes to his private stash and pours a few shots of liquor, enough for those present.

Parlity
2010-02-21, 06:22 PM
Bansh reports, "Captain, a sahuagin construct attacked us. It was attached to the other vessel. This is Sammael. We found her in a torture device on the ship."

Kyace
2010-02-22, 10:40 PM
The captain glances at Sammael for a moment. "Have you had the doc check her over?"

Mystic Muse
2010-02-22, 10:42 PM
Yes they have. Sammael responds in a raspy voice and takes another drink.

Reptar
2010-02-28, 10:04 PM
I'm still not sure I trust her, but she's got a good swing, an' with the other two out of commission, we could use her.
The large man is beginning to feel better as the pain and fatigue leave his voice and he shifts out of his slouch.

Parlity
2010-03-04, 08:45 PM
Bansh nods as Wallace and Sammael answer. His eyes linger on the burning ship visible out of the window before he jerks his attention back to the conversation.

Kyace
2010-03-05, 04:01 PM
"I see no reason why she can't work with you, I'll put her in my report so she can get the recognition she deserves when you are done with the mission." The captain turns to Sammael, "Ma'am, what did they tell you of our mission?"

Mystic Muse
2010-03-05, 04:03 PM
Not much sir she says before finishing off the pitcher.

Reptar
2010-03-05, 07:31 PM
We want'ed ta clear it with you before we gave up the information, that and there was a barnacle monster at the time. This is the first real chance we've had to talk.

Kyace
2010-03-06, 10:22 AM
"You'll find that the sea is a dangerous enough opponent that we don't have to go around making new enemies. Ma'am, we're currently on a mission to investigate a shipwreck for clues as to who attacked it and kidnapped a member of elven royalty. Our divination show he is alive but we can't locate him via it, hence we're doing this the old fashion way. If we weren't in this damnable calm, we'd be there already. Once we do get there, we'll send these gentlemen down in a diving bell to take a look." The aquatic elf stretches. "Along with myself."

Parlity
2010-03-10, 10:54 AM
Bansh glances sharply at Captain Misthawk at his last words. "Aye Captain. I can continue to cast a spell to give us favorable winds for a few hours a day."

Kyace
2010-03-10, 04:03 PM
"I'd appreciate it. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Reptar
2010-03-16, 05:15 AM
NawI got nuffin.

Parlity
2010-03-16, 02:03 PM
Bansh shrugs his shoulders, "Gnh." He grabs his right shoulder.

Kyace
2010-03-24, 03:49 PM
The captain looks at you each for a moment, letting it remain silent almost uncomfortably long. "Go and rest up. Barring any trouble we should be at the wreck late tomorrow. It's up to you if you dive at night or wait until morning, the depths are as dark either time."

Parlity
2010-03-27, 06:55 PM
"Aye, Captain."

"How about waiting until the morning? I'll be better prepared after a night's rest." Bansh says to Wallace and Sammael.