PDA

View Full Version : Descending into the Darkness, Part Two: Bark at the Moon!

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-03, 08:01 PM
A few weeks ago, I made a thread asking about White Wolf's World of Darkness setting and wondered if it would be something to get into, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126248).

I'm pleased to announce that after meeting with some of my roleplaying buddies to play D&D yesterday, I found out that two of them were going to be co-Storytelling a White Wolf game! After some deliberation, they settled on a game of Werewolf: The Apocalypse.

I've offered to join, but now I have a whole new set of questions. Is it possible to play a Lawful Good, Superman-like-in-terms-of-personality, modern-day-paladin kinda character?

From my understanding of Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and the Old World of Darkness in general, the setting has a very fatalistic tone. No matter how much good you try to do, it won't matter since the world's going to be destroyed and evil will ultimately win anyway. I really don't like that kind of attitude. Is there a way to sort of avoid falling into despair and keep on doing the right thing regardless?

Also, what kind of a werewolf should I be? I have no clue if werewolves have clans or sects like in Vampire: The Masquerade.

How should I set up my character? I'm kind of looking to play the kind of character who's so tough that he can afford to do the right thing, since he'll be up to the challenge. Like, he won't get killed if he plunges fearlessly into battle with evil, that kind of thing.

Am I making any sense here?

Thank you for your kind attention. :smallsmile:

chiasaur11
2009-10-03, 08:03 PM
Well, I hear Werewolf has several happy endings to the apocalypses.

So... there's some hope, I suppose.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-03, 08:27 PM
Really? Tell me more!

chiasaur11
2009-10-03, 08:38 PM
Really? Tell me more!

Sorry.

Ain't got nothing beyond that, and I picked that up off of TV tropes.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-03, 08:49 PM
Thanks anyway. From what I understand, Werewolves are the most likely to be heroes in any case. :smallsmile:

SurlySeraph
2009-10-04, 12:18 AM
Werewolves can definitely be paladin-ish, though druid-ish is the default. They lend themselves to kick-down-the-door-and-stab-everything campaigns better than anything else in World of Darkness; "benevolent ecoterrorists" is kind of their default setting. If you just have one that likes humans more than most of them do and wants to protect humans as much as nature, he could be quite paladin-y. There's an urban-oriented werewolf group (Glass Walkers or something like that) that would work well for this.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-04, 12:50 AM
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. A werewolf who feels a personal obligation to protect both nature and humans. Though one of the Storytellers suggested the Silver Fangs or something.

Morty
2009-10-04, 05:05 AM
Or you can play a Lawful Good, Superman-type who doesn't blame himself that the world will suck anyway and instead does good around him, as the alternative would be really kind of arrogant.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-04, 01:17 PM
Come again? :smallconfused:

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-04, 08:45 PM
Any other advice?