PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Creating a Magic Item (Help)

vartan
2009-10-03, 08:06 PM
My party is coming up against a bunch of trolls in the near future and I was considering giving the warlock a ring that would allow him to convert the damage of an attack into fire damage or add fire damage to untyped damage.
Is this OP? I was thinking it would be Power (Healing Surge) and a Minor Action to use the item's power.

Thoughts?

TheOOB
2009-10-03, 08:10 PM
Well, shadowfell gloves allready do something similar, but for necrotic damage, so a similar item made for fire damage would work just fine.

Thats only once per encounter though.

An implement that turns all damage into fire damage shouldn't at all be overpowered. I mean if you can do it for a sword, why not a rod?

vartan
2009-10-03, 08:17 PM
Once per encounter might not be enough, and the standard action required to recharge the ring for the next use should limit its use (or increase the tension).

What sword are you referring to?

Thanks for the gloves example.

Shadow_Elf
2009-10-03, 08:18 PM
My party is coming up against a bunch of trolls in the near future and I was considering giving the warlock a ring that would allow him to convert the damage of an attack into fire damage or add fire damage to untyped damage.
Is this OP? I was thinking it would be Power (Healing Surge) and a Minor Action to use the item's power.

Thoughts?

I would not make the wizard spend surges to convert their spells into fire damage - fire is arguably the second weakest damage type, so its an expensive cost for a very situationally useful effect. Instead, consider a "Staff of Heat Conversion" or somesuch based on the implement in AV that can switch acid to fire and vice-versa. Let the Wizard switch cold to Fire and fire to Cold with the item, and not only will it help against trolls, it will let the wizard use his fire spells against resistant enemies later on.

As suggested above, you could also make a 5/10 progression item that converts all damage into damage type X, a la Fire Weapon.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-03, 08:30 PM
Seeing as how there is an item that does something like it. Just base yours off of it and it should be fine IMHO.

Grynning
2009-10-03, 08:32 PM
There's a rod in AVII that lets a Warlock convert any poison or necrotic power's damage into radiant at will. Very easy to switch the types to make an item that converts other types to fire (which means the warlock would have to use certain powers, limiting it tactically).

There's also a set of gloves that lets you turn any ranged attack into acid damage already, IIRC.

Edit: Found the gloves, Caustic Gauntlets, level 6. They only let you convert one attack per day, but more importantly, all your attacks for the encounter after that deal 1 pt extra of acid damage. That should be all it takes to stop troll regeneration.

Indon
2009-10-03, 08:43 PM
There's some weapon type (Mordant?) which allows the user to convert between normal damage and poison and acid damage as a free action, with an additional, respectable daily power.