PDA

View Full Version : Geas/Familiar Geas

VestigeArcanist
2009-10-04, 01:18 AM
What are some useful things that you can compel someone to do if you succeed on either spell? Or if you give them a Geas that said "Bring my this statue" but the said statue was destroyed? And what would you suppose the likelihood of the Geas'd person to try and kill you?

bosssmiley
2009-10-04, 02:21 AM
If the instructions involve some open-ended task that the recipient cannot complete through his own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of one day per caster level.
(source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasLesser.htm))

The "bring me this McGuffin" use all depends on whether the subject knows the statue is still in existence or not. If he can prove the destruction of the desired object I'd argue the compulsion, being impossible to accomplish, goes *poof*. Otherwise Mr Geas is off on a snark hunt for 1 day/CL.

When an effect like this expires the caster should expect the target to come a-hunting for some of that sweet, sweet vengeance. No-one likes having their free will stolen. :smallannoyed:

Melamoto
2009-10-04, 11:10 AM
What about ordering them to steal a statue of the king, which is in the middle of town and 30' tall?

daggaz
2009-10-04, 11:56 AM
What about ordering them to steal a statue of the king, which is in the middle of town and 30' tall?

Then they go out of their way to form some dastardly plot to do so, whether it be thru magic, a swarm of giant ants, or a crowd of commoners armed with hacksaws, they will do their best to get you that statue. Until the geas wears off. Then the swarm of giant ants comes lookin' for you :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2009-10-04, 01:05 PM
Then they go out of their way to form some dastardly plot to do so, whether it be thru magic, a swarm of giant ants, or a crowd of commoners armed with hacksaws, they will do their best to get you that statue. Until the geas wears off. Then the swarm of giant ants comes lookin' for you :smallamused:
Or better yet. They get Animate Object cast on it, order it to march to you, the Geas falls off and then they order the statue to trounce you into fine dust.