PDA

View Full Version : Spellcraft as a class skill?

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-04, 03:22 AM
I'm looking for a method to give Spellcraft as a class skill to a class which does not normally have it.

Refluffing is not an option.
Houseruling is not an option.
"Work with your DM" is not an option.

The method needs to be entirely RAW, WotC Sanctioned, and non-dragon magazine. Web Enhancements from Wizards.com are fine.

I'd prefer if it could be non-racial dependent. A feat or somesuch, ideally.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-04, 03:36 AM
The Apprentice feat in the DMG2?

sadi
2009-10-04, 03:38 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge

No idea why 1 random feat is under the alternaitve skill system, but it's there. Otherwise the 3.0 cosmopolitan gave +2 and a class skill, it's been reprinted as something that's not so cool anymore.

oxinabox
2009-10-04, 03:53 AM
Able learner, isn't too bad.
Buy all of class skills at 1 pt instead of two.
your still capped and half lvl+3
but you could get around that by having 1 lvl of a class that has it as a class skill. (eg factotum has class skills - all) and the cap is perminatly changed to that of a class skill

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-04, 05:21 AM
Able learner, isn't too bad.Race Dependent.

Buy all of class skills at 1 pt instead of two.Cost isn't the issue, the max cap is

your still capped and half lvl+3Which is not what I want.0

but you could get around that by having 1 lvl of a class that has it as a class skill. (eg factotum has class skills - all) and the cap is perminatly changed to that of a class skillClass dependent. Unfortunately the build I'm working on is extremely tight. I need to actually give a class skill to a class that doesn't have it. Or give it to me, as a class skill.

oxinabox
2009-10-04, 05:35 AM
Thanks for making it clearer.

Pharaoh's Fist is right (to an extent), the aprrentice Feat from p175 of DMG 2:
the Spellcaster apreticeship however grants:
UMD and Knowledge (anyone) as class skills, and a +2 bonus on Spellcraft.

I call typo, anyone got an errata on hand?

Iku Rex
2009-10-04, 05:49 AM
What kind of build is it?

Vangor
2009-10-04, 05:52 AM
Cosmopolitan in FRCS and PGtF are huge shifts, with the first offering one skill as a class skill with a +2 and the latter giving a +2 to Bluff, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks. The problem is, with the regional requirements being Amn and Waterdeep for both, safe to say the PGtF version was meant as an update, for whatever reason.

This has been one instance where we ignore the update rules.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-04, 06:44 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge

No idea why 1 random feat is under the alternaitve skill system, but it's there.

If the web enhancement, which include that damn crab, are available; there's no reason why a WotC-published book in the SRD shouldn't be. A bit expensive, costing a feat, but that's the best answer.

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-04, 07:22 AM
This has been one instance where we ignore the update rules.
I'll refer you again to the above on houseruling not being an option, and needing to be entirely RAW.

In other words, I'm working on an answer/solution/workaround/what-have-you...

Not an opinion. Personally, I think that monk should have spellcraft. But they don't, and none of the other classes at this stage of the build make sense with it. But that's not my call. I gotta work with what I'm given.

Vangor
2009-10-04, 07:27 AM
I'll refer you again to the above on houseruling not being an option, and needing to be entirely RAW.

The main reason we ignore this, because this is quite clearly meant to be an update, is because this is not an update but a completely different feat, hence why I do suggest this working for RAW.

I guess if you explained why this needed to be RAW, no houseruling, etc., we could better assist, as well for why you need Spellcraft as a class skill.

Eldariel
2009-10-04, 07:29 AM
Keeper of the Forbidden Lore (Abyssal Heritor) [Fiendish Codex I] does exactly what you want. It also comes complete with Knowledge: The Planes, and a bonus equal to your Abyssal Heritor-feats to both checks. Has penalty to Gather Information-checks, requires Int 13 and nothing else.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-04, 07:35 AM
Just don't take any other Abyssal Heritor feats, since you need to be Lawful. Or do you? We never saw your whole build. *shrug*

Also, in case it might possibly matter, it gives Bardic Knowledge +1.