PDA

View Full Version : 4e Undead weapon of choice

Kaun
2009-10-04, 04:47 AM
IF YOUR ONE OF MY PLAYER DONT READ THIS THREAD!!!

Strange title maybe but my question is this.

If you had to find an item, for arguments sake lets say it is a book.
All you know about this book is that it is in the city in which you currently reside an it is unable to leave the city and you have decided to summon an undead creature to retrieve it for you. Your powerfull enough to summon any undead creature you like (up to level 16:smallbiggrin:) and your more then certain your not the only person after the book. Which undead creature would you summon and why?

Thank you in advance for any responses:smallsmile:

Kurald Galain
2009-10-04, 04:53 AM
A legion of skeletons.

Hal
2009-10-04, 07:45 AM
Is the undead creature going to be attacked? Or will it be ignored as a normal thing?

Shadow_Elf
2009-10-04, 10:46 AM
This seems like... a weird situation. I would probably send a wraith, which is more intelligent and less likely to cause collateral damage. Overall, though, I wouldn't use an undead - I would use rituals like Hand of Fate and Consult Mystic Sages to find the tome, rather than some undead. Why undead, specifically, and what makes you think an undead will be able to find this tome for you?

FoE
2009-10-04, 10:48 AM
Unless I'm mistaken and it's actually a higher level ... Boneclaw.

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-04, 11:19 AM
Assuming we are able to assume loyalty and/or control of the summoned creature, I'd go for Lareen, the Vampire Lord. Lvl 16 Elite Controller, from the Demon Queen Enclave module (p2) (also appears in compendium, obviously, or I wouldn't have found her!)

Hideous HP totals, a buttload of usefull abilities and plenty of ways of regaining health. Oh, and as a minor encounter power, she can assume an insubstantial mist form and fly speed of 12 for the mere cost of not attacking things on her way. (And, boo-hoo, she needs to catch her breath for 5 minutes ever hour if the book is more than an hour away at speed 12. ;) )
She even has a teleport move, should she need it.

Book is mine, I believe. Thank you.

(If named individuals and modules are out, that's another question, of course. Also, bloodclaw is not a level 16, there's a 17 bloodclaw impaler?)

In the case of nothing with a name, possibly a necrosphinx. Regeneration, overland flight 10, and nearly 800 hp. It can basically smash through anything that tries to stop it, grab the book, and leave with plenty of hp left, and no problem getting them back, (whereas creatures without regeneration are trickier, as creatures and NPC's only get 1 healing surge, and rarely even have second wind.)
[edit] Necrosphinx is open grave, apparently.

[edit 2] Basically, if your only limit is level, you at least want an elite, but if at all possible get a solo. Also, for such a search and retrieval task with expected opposition, health and health gain is key, so something like the necrosphinx with 760hp, regeneration AND a second wind is really going to shine, where other creatures will have to rely on their single healing surge and a five minute lie down.

ninja_penguin
2009-10-04, 05:13 PM
Using just core books, and with the situation you mentioned, I'd summon a lich, most likely. Maybe let him take a glance at the book if he hurries back. And then slap on a template onto him to make him a solo monster. He also could hound another party if they defeated him and took the book if the phylactery is kept safe as well.

Kaun
2009-10-04, 05:19 PM
Some good ideas here thanks guys!

I like the wraith idea and i did think about the vampire but complete loyalty in respects to a vampire of that power is never totaly asured, at best you have enough control to get them to follow your comands for a while but they will always be looking for a loop hole to exploit. I haven't heard of a necrosphinx what source is that from?

I beter add some info just so it is a little less confusing situation aswell.

This action is being taken by a collective of NPC's they know very little about the book only that it exists and its potential power, they all so know that there not the only ones who are looking for it. They want to keep there involvment as secret as posible so sending a disposible minion out to track down and recover the book is there plan.

I am more then willing to use elites and solos or even an undead creature that summons more minions.

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-04, 05:35 PM
Using just core books, and with the situation you mentioned, I'd summon a lich, most likely. Maybe let him take a glance at the book if he hurries back. And then slap on a template onto him to make him a solo monster. He also could hound another party if they defeated him and took the book if the phylactery is kept safe as well.

Ignoring templates for a moment, worth mentioning that although you could get a decent lich at level 14 (Human Wizard Lich, mm1), and he does have regeneration, he doesn't have any modes of transport other than a simple move speed of 6. His abilities are also...not exactly awe inspiring on his own.

You could go as far as a Thicket Dryad Lich (but thats Open Grave again). It's much more combat intimidating, especially as it's a Solo controller, and can teleport at will (as long as there are trees around, though, because it's tree to tree only). It's move speed gets as far as an 8, and forest walk, but is still stuck travelling on foot.

Necrosphinx is Open Grave. If your tinkering a lot with undead, it's certainly worth a look. (If you have access to insider you have access to every single creature printed anywhere for 4e, of course.)

Another decent possibility is an icewrought dracolich, but it does lack any regeneration. (Still, it starts with 800hps, so it's got some room for manouver as long as it's ordered to basically smash through, grab book, return asap.) Still, it can at least fly. That's in the Draconomicon. I'd take Necrosphinx above it in a heartbeat though, stats wise.

No idea what the fluff for one is, though. Will check.

[edit] Fluff is not exactly overflowing. It's an undead sphinx, basically. Basically a Guardian type, and still capable of thought (has riddle based ability). Technically it's in the 'Mummy' section.

Kaun
2009-10-04, 05:41 PM
Im more then happy to use templates and any 4e material. Hell i will even use home brew aslong as it seems well put together.

ninja_penguin
2009-10-04, 08:29 PM
Okay, I like whipping things up for 4e, so you're basically looking for something that you're using as an adventure boss, or some sort of potentially threatening encounter against the PCs, right?

Kaun
2009-10-04, 08:49 PM
Yeah something like that,

Basicly the PC's are going to be thrown into the mix as alot of diffrent factions go crazy trying to get there hands on the prize. This "undead creature" will represent one of the factions.