PDA

View Full Version : How does Haley have 200k GP?

Moogleking
2009-10-04, 04:48 AM
She didn't have the money to raise Roy (25k, right?) back at the Oracle, and the only money she's found since has been from Crystal and Grubblewigger (I know I spelt it wrong <_<).

Not to mention the shopping she did before hand, so she must have had closer to 250k.

onasuma
2009-10-04, 05:04 AM
The oracle isnt a cleric. Thus couldnt raise roy.

King of Nowhere
2009-10-04, 05:04 AM
She didn't have the money to raise Roy (25k, right?) back at the Oracle, and the only money she's found since has been from Crystal and Grubblewigger (I know I spelt it wrong <_<).

Not to mention the shopping she did before hand, so she must have had closer to 250k.

From grubwigger she took more than 50 thousands gp, and Crystal's stuff must be worth at more than a hundred thousands gp (adequate whealt for Crystal's level). Plus, she went stealing a couple of times.

Liwen
2009-10-04, 05:24 AM
15th level adventurers, especially 15th rogues tend to acquire that much money in the equivalent of a single day of table top play, which usually sums up to a few encounters and 2-3 moderately important plot points (like recovering Roy's corpse and stealing some more of Grubblewigger's fortune.) Putting down a major high level antagonist like Crystal and selling most of her gear removed any doubts, at least to me, that Haley couldn't have made that much money. I can understand the OP's interrogation here, since we only saw but a fraction of that wealth being acquired on screen, but make no mistake, in a D&D setting, this is more than plausible.

factotum
2009-10-04, 05:31 AM
I'm just puzzled as to why the OP thinks the Oracle didn't resurrect Roy because Haley didn't have 25k...is he reading a different strip to everyone else?

Tass
2009-10-04, 06:22 AM
I'm just puzzled as to why the OP thinks the Oracle didn't resurrect Roy because Haley didn't have 25k...is he reading a different strip to everyone else?

Which comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html)are you reading? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0566.html)

If he had been a cleric she would have had to go earn the gold first.

I wonder if the last few events with Grubwigler and Crystal counts as many adventures. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0680.html)

theinsulabot
2009-10-04, 06:51 AM
crystal's dagger was a plus 4 dagger and would of fetched 32k alone,magic items equivalent to her level would of been about 20k a piece and Haley probably nicked several after ventilating crystal's skull. its entirely possible crystal's hide alone was worth 100k. then there is the money she got robbing grub's place, TWICE, probably 40k the first time and 10k the second time. Haley's fortunes took a very real upswing when she went by the old thieves guild. a snazzy new bow, some xp, a chance for a little revenge, and at least half the gold she needed for her father right then and there

Moogleking
2009-10-04, 10:17 AM
:haley:Its doesn't matter, because I don't have the kind of money needed... not anymore. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html)

And fair enough that it *could* happen in RP terms, but Grubblewigger won't have had anything of worth left after the first robbery (presumabley?) so how many oppurtunities would she have had when rescuing Roy's corpse? Or standing around while he was Ressurrected? Or talking to Elan? Or crossing the ocean? Or spending MORE money?

factotum
2009-10-04, 10:58 AM
Which comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html)are you reading? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0566.html)

Which one of those strips does it mention 25k in, then? I must be missing it.

Moogleking
2009-10-04, 11:27 AM
Which one of those strips does it mention 25k in, then? I must be missing it.

25k of Diamonds are the components for a Ressurection spell I believe.

Sholos
2009-10-04, 12:23 PM
You would need 10,910 gp minimum for a casting of Resurrection.

Moogleking
2009-10-04, 02:18 PM
That just shows she had even less cash to begin with then.

Silverraptor
2009-10-05, 02:56 PM
That just shows she had even less cash to begin with then.

No. It just showed that they lacked the *Diamond* to get Roy raised, which she got by stealing from herself.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-05, 03:15 PM
You would need 10,910 gp minimum for a casting of Resurrection.

People are probably using the cost of True Resurrection as a baseline because that comes up a lot at high levels.

No. It just showed that they lacked the *Diamond* to get Roy raised, which she got by stealing from herself.

They would have been able to buy the diamonds, if they had had enough money. Diamonds are assumed to be available at any mid-sized town, and a high level NPC cleric would probably have few sets of them on hand in order to be able to accept cash from adventurers (including a surcharge for providing the diamonds).

Silverraptor
2009-10-05, 03:23 PM
They would have been able to buy the diamonds, if they had had enough money. Diamonds are assumed to be available at any mid-sized town, and a high level NPC cleric would probably have few sets of them on hand in order to be able to accept cash from adventurers (including a surcharge for providing the diamonds).

And they did pick up the diamonds from a mid-sized town. But, of course, Durkon got pick-pocketed.

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-05, 03:28 PM
Haley said that she didnt have what she needed before she was in a mid sized town not run by Team Evil. So she couldnt just buy a diamond, and she had to trade any diamond she had for gold to buy flaming arrows....worth it!

Silverraptor
2009-10-05, 03:31 PM
Haley said that she didnt have what she needed before she was in a mid sized town not run by Team Evil. So she couldnt just buy a diamond, and she had to trade any diamond she had for gold to buy flaming arrows....worth it!

Correct. But she did rob The Golem Castle, remember. She had 50,000 gp then but couldn't spend it to buy diamonds because the guild was after her.

Besides, Durkon came with the diamonds.

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-05, 03:49 PM
Well yeah, so she in fact didnt spend any money on roys resurrection and yes i know she stole the front page diamond but thats obviously in an alternate reality or something.

So she robs the grubster for 50000 +magic robs crystal swipes some of blind eyes loot, never hands over the money to the guild that she should, robs grubster again to get roy back, couldve stolen anything, and then mooches off the paladins as they owe her for leading the resistance

200K easy

Silverraptor
2009-10-05, 03:50 PM
Well yeah, so she in fact didnt spend any money on roys resurrection and yes i know she stole the front page diamond but thats obviously in an alternate reality or something.

So she robs the grubster for 50000 +magic robs crystal swipes some of blind eyes loot, never hands over the money to the guild that she should, robs grubster again to get roy back, couldve stolen anything, and then mooches off the paladins as they owe her for leading the resistance

200K easy

Was that so hard?:smallamused:

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-05, 03:53 PM
Well I think haley had a pretty bloody rough time of it

Silverraptor
2009-10-05, 03:58 PM
Well I think haley had a pretty bloody rough time of it

High level adventure's. Don't question it.:smallamused:

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-05, 04:05 PM
I question all! ALL! everything from roys morality in attacking miko to O-Chuls morality in attempting to trick MitD that it had lost Go
ALL!!!
so i think weve wrapped this thread up huh?

Silverraptor
2009-10-05, 05:16 PM
so i think weve wrapped this thread up huh?

Yup, I think so.:smallamused:

Asta Kask
2009-10-06, 12:42 AM
She can steal treasure from a strip before the inn blew up... :smallsmile:

warrl
2009-10-15, 03:53 PM
She can steal treasure from a strip before the inn blew up... :smallsmile:

I'd say no to that because that is backward in the timeline, and as far as I am aware there's nothing in D&D for time travel.

The cast page is outside the timeline.

Liwen
2009-10-15, 07:26 PM
I'd say no to that because that is backward in the timeline, and as far as I am aware there's nothing in D&D for time travel.

The cast page is outside the timeline.

Never utter the phrase ''There is nothing in D&D for 'input anything your imagination can crap out'''

The very baseline concept of this game is : whenever you imagine something that would be fun, do it.

No time machine? Give me 5 mins and I have an item description, a sketch and a dozen possible plotlines related to it... Okay make that 10 mins, I'm a little tired.:smallwink:

Milskidasith
2009-10-15, 07:56 PM
There's already a spell for that, so making your own stuff would be overtly hasty.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-15, 09:05 PM
There's already a spell for that, so making your own stuff would be overtly hasty.

Really? Where's the spell, Epic Level Handbook?

In the Forge of War (Eberron) there is a description of a plot arc centering around a magical location that allows for time travel and recommendations for how to deal with it, but there aren't any actual mechanics (no temporal surge tables, for example).

Itous
2009-10-16, 02:49 AM
i think the spell that is being refered to is "Fabricate"

with this spell you don't need to spend 3 weeks making a +8 sword or what ever the correct time slot is for it, cast fabricate burn some EXP and a ton of materials and you have your stuff :D

Souhiro
2009-10-16, 06:36 AM
Nope. The "Fabricate" does This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm)

You convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material. Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell.

So, this can't used to convert that piece of steel into a +5 sacred avenger longsword.

The most powerful transmutation spell is "Polymorph any Object" With this, you can transform a Pebble into a human (That's the example) But it specifically says "This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine. " So you won't use this to make plumb into gold, nor use steel to make adamantite.

What can be done is to have a pinch of adamantite, forge a micro-sword of it, and polymorph into a mega-sword.
(Same kingdom (mineral, +5) Same class (metals) +2 Related (Miniature-Sword to Real Sword) +2 Same or lower Intelligence (None: +2) It would be permanent, or at least, it will last a Week (Enough time to sell it and run) and it don't CREATE, but ELONGATES.

Jagos
2009-10-16, 07:56 AM
Never utter the phrase ''There is nothing in D&D for 'input anything your imagination can crap out'''

The very baseline concept of this game is : whenever you imagine something that would be fun, do it.

No time machine? Give me 5 mins and I have an item description, a sketch and a dozen possible plotlines related to it... Okay make that 10 mins, I'm a little tired.:smallwink:

MacGyver loves you. :smallwink:

Kulture
2009-10-20, 09:46 AM
Remember blind pete's arsenal?

each weapon was around +5 to +7 atleast.

If she sold all of those, she'd be a damn site better off then 250,000

rewinn
2009-10-20, 09:51 AM
Perhaps the question should be "How does the entire party have 200k GP and not notice Haley swiping it"?

Quincunx
2009-10-20, 09:54 AM
"Just be happy none of them have Spot checks that are worth a damn (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0318.html)".

The two not eliminated haven't been present for most of that time.

Roderick_BR
2009-10-20, 11:58 AM

200K easy
As was mentioned many times, she was too busy trying not get herself killed and turned into a bone golen to be able to buy the diamonds. After that little detail was dealt with, she was ready to go do that when she got notice of Durkon.

ericgrau
2009-10-22, 02:01 PM
When selling Crystal's stuff she could have sold some of her own stuff too. If the boots of speed are any indication, she probably has some random magic items or other valuable items in her bags of holding (not to mention the bags themselves, which she obviously has, and her bow sells for 49,000 gp). She might not have even sold the magic items yet; she may be thinking about how she could sell them as soon as she needs her wealth in coin form. i.e., she "has" 200k gp in wealth that can turn into coinage on demand, but right now that'd be too heavy to do. When you think of how much her bow alone sells for, plus all the other misc items, Crystal's stuff, etc., she could easily have 200k gp worth of stuff ready to sell to get her father back.

When talking to the Oracle she may have preferred to earn the gold rather than selling a potentially useful item. And as she said back in Azure city she already spent all her coin. For her father, OTOH, selling is more practical. That's a lot of money.