PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Whips?

The_Pyre
2009-10-04, 07:59 AM
I just recently noticed the whip while looking around in the Character Builder. I know it's nowhere near optimized, but how would you go about making a character that used a whip effectively? What classes/ability score arrays are good?

hamishspence
2009-10-04, 08:26 AM
Dragon Annual has the "whip training multiclass feat"

It is very much a Dexterity build- the whip is an off hand weapon, a flail, and it grants reach.

There is also a power you can take with it that grant Threatening reach once per encounter.

I think that rogues, rangers, and fighters can make quite a lot of use of it- fighters for the opportunity attacks combined with threatening reach, rogues and rangers for the Dexterity, and Off-hand.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-04, 08:27 AM
There's some whip-related semi-multiclass feats in dragon magazine. Nothing really impressive though.

oxinabox
2009-10-04, 08:36 AM
Whip is Sneak attackable, (may require fail sneak attack feat)

hamishspence
2009-10-04, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure where the feat is- is there a feat that allows you to sneak attack with any off-hand weapon, or one for any flail, or a whip?

Spiked chains work because in the description of the proficiency feat "you can treat it as a light blade"

oxinabox
2009-10-04, 09:22 AM
I can't quiet remember, maybe i'm confusing myh editions...

Shadow_Elf
2009-10-04, 10:37 AM
Am I the only one who finds the idea of a tempest fighter dual-wielding whips to be hilarious?

It was very useful to have as an option when I made Indiana Jones in the Characer Builder. And the -2 attack from just hitting folks with it is nice.

hamishspence
2009-10-04, 02:11 PM
Dual wield flaming whips- and look a little like Kratos :smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 04:30 PM
Could you get his fedora?

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-04, 04:36 PM
Could you get his fedora?

Kratos from God of War doesn't wear a Fedora. You must be referring to a different Kratos.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 04:50 PM
I was referring to INDY.

The_Pyre
2009-10-04, 06:09 PM
What stat array would be best for a rogue to take advantage of a whip?

How about a ranger? I presume most rangers won't bother with the novice power.

Also, what's the most effective race aside from human?

Thajocoth
2009-10-04, 07:30 PM
A Warlord in a game I'm in multiclassed Whip. He's got a +3 Communal Whip and, while we make fun him constantly, it was a good choice for his character. He's got a shield, so it's really his only option for a reach weapon, and at our level EVERY enemy has reach.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-04, 08:33 PM
A Warlord in a game I'm in multiclassed Whip. He's got a +3 Communal Whip and, while we make fun him constantly, it was a good choice for his character. He's got a shield, so it's really his only option for a reach weapon, and at our level EVERY enemy has reach.

And next in the 2D circus (puuuuuun) we have The Warlord! Watch, in anticipation as he tames this Displacer Beast, with just a whip and shield!
Why a shield you ask? The Displacer Beast ate all our chairs! *massive applause*

The_Pyre
2009-10-05, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

The whip warlord sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try it sometime.