PDA

View Full Version : Stumbling in the Dunes of Hell

The Neoclassic
2009-10-04, 11:03 AM
The ruins of the fort were dark at this hour of evening. Crumbling stone walls and formerly sturdy archways were not a sign of the architect's poor work but rather the cruelty and effectiveness of siege magic. Burn marks, so much so that nearly all the stone that remains is charred black.

Inside one of the less-destroyed rooms, there seems to be an odd glow. As you approach, you notice the floor has turned back to dirt, strange considering how deep into the ruins you are; this is near the heart of the former fortress. The light is becoming stronger, harsher. Stepping through what used to be a doorframe, your feet sink unexpectedly. Dirt has given way to sand.

As you look from your feet out to the edges of the room, you no longer see any edges of the room. It's all sand, for as far as the eye can see. Gone are the stone walls; the area is bare and free of boundries. Now, you're acutely aware of the light and worse, the heat. Something is wrong. This isn't some secret room within the fortress, or probably even within the Eldlands. This orange sun is not the one you've always known.

Elfin
2009-10-04, 12:31 PM
Vaunred narrows his eyes as he gazes about the barren wasteland. Nervously, he draws his black spiked chain and speaks in hushed tones.

"What is this place?
Surely, we are no longer in the Eldlands. This looks like nowhere in all the world which I have seen before...we had best keep up our guard. Menaios only knows what evil things could lurk in this unhallowed land."

Keld Denar
2009-10-04, 01:09 PM
Echton

Raising his crossbow, Echton immediately drops into a defensive pose. Seeing that the sun and sky is different, he looks down and around in all directions, searching for a landmark or other identifying feature. I don't like this...

Sensing trouble, Echton casts Mage Armor to give him a little feeling of security.

Elfin
2009-10-04, 01:54 PM
Anxiously, Vaunred casts his gaze about the scorching dunes and keeps alert for any signs of danger.

Spot and Listen checks, respectively:
[roll0]
[roll1]

The Neoclassic
2009-10-04, 06:23 PM
Any of you may roll a Knowledge (religion) or Knowledge (the planes) check to try to figure out where you are.

Vaunred:You don't see anything, but in the distance you can hear talking in Abyssal. The voices are oily and inhuman; their conversation is hard to make out, but seems to involve bragging about successful raiding tactics and mild frustration at the lack of something called "shrub booze."

Elfin
2009-10-04, 09:12 PM
"Hush! Get down!"
A fierce look upon his face, Vaunred crouches downward into the sand.
"Demons," he whispers gravely, "and not far away; they speak the Black Tongue. Ready yourselves."

The Neoclassic
2009-10-05, 09:57 AM
NotANinja:
You can't hear or see anything. Or perhaps there's the whisper of something far away? It's impossible to tell if it's merely your imagination or whether there's something there.

Vaunred:
As the voices continue, apparently beginning to squabble over the division of crystals, you can guess that they're coming from... well, behind you. There's no simple way to tell which cardinal direction you're even facing, since the sun is directly overhead.

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 11:01 AM
Echton

What do you think we should do? Echton whispers. Think we should move away? Or confront them?

Elfin
2009-10-05, 12:27 PM
"Very well."
Vaunred rises to his feet and holds his chain before him.
"As best I can tell, the voices come from behind us. Perhaps we might sneak up upon them, catch the horrid infidel by surprise. Demons are not foes to be laughed at, and any edge would be welcome."

He turns to Connection.
"My friend, demons will not suffer to bargain with us. They are bred only to destroy; for they are wrought of shadow and flame and are fell beasts of terror. They will slay us as soon as they are aware of our presence."

Elfin
2009-10-05, 01:07 PM
"Indeed. Let us go."
Vaunred beckons to both his companions, and begins creeping toward the voices.

Move Silently: [roll0]

The Neoclassic
2009-10-05, 01:41 PM
Let me know if you're approaching with Vaunred or staying where you are. As you approach (if you approach), roll Spot checks.
Vaunred:
As you begin approaching, you can make out some section of debris, what might be some overturned boxes and barrels, in the distance. Once you're within two hundred feet or so, the voices pause. Very briefly. Their conversation picks up again though, slightly more excited than before.

Elfin
2009-10-05, 02:11 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 02:20 PM
Echton

Whispers: Vaun, before we get much closer that spellcasting will raise an alarm, I was wondering if you'd like me to cast a Transmutation on you to increase your size to that of an Ogre? It'll allow to you reach further with your weapon, but may make you move vulnerable to attacks. What do you think?

Not even gonna bother rolling spot...got 0 ranks and +0 mod...

Elfin
2009-10-05, 03:45 PM
Vaunred turns to the Amarel'neve and thinks for a brief moment.
"I have tried such before, and though a strange idea it greatly improved my combat prowess. If you would indeed offer such an enchantment to me, I will gladly take it."

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 04:44 PM
Echton casts the spell. Its lasts for 7 minutes.

OOC

How do you you want me to keep track of Spells/Day? I've currently used 2 1st level spells, and none others.

The Neoclassic
2009-10-06, 09:20 AM
I always assume spoiler stuff is OOC or for one particular person. I think that works well for everyone?

I trust you to keep track of your spells per day. If it helps you remember, you can also keep track of them on the OOC thread.

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 12:58 PM
Echton

Pshhh, stealth approaches are for the weak of heart! Shy not away from glory!

The Neoclassic
2009-10-06, 02:58 PM
As you approach, you can more clearly see the rubble. It looks like the fairly recent remains of a caravan, but oddly without any large wagons or draft animals. There are no signs of life at all, in fact, neither attackers nor victim, from about sixty feet away.

Vaunred
The voices have stopped. Once you're within about sixty feet, however, you're the first to spot two medium-size figures emerging from their hiding spots behind broken crates. They look vaguely humanoid, but their skin is the color of dried blood, with an oily sheen, and they look emaciated. Both have a short, curved horn emerging from the top of their heads. They charge.

Echton & Connection

At this distance, before you know it, two dark, oily, medium-size figures are bursting out from behind crates, charging in your direction.

Monster surprise round is up first, but everyone can take a free action (such as talking to each other).

Initiative rolls:
Echton 1d20+2
Connection 1d20+3
Vaunred 1d20+3
Monsters d20+1

Next post I'll confirm combat order and do the monster surprise round.

EDIT: OK, do dice seriously not work in IC threads? We have to do it in a dice-roller thread?

Elfin
2009-10-06, 04:21 PM
No, they work in all pbp forums, but you can't edit them in.

The Neoclassic
2009-10-06, 04:35 PM
OK, thanks! Yeah, I messed up the first time, hence the edits.

Initiative rolls:
Echton [roll0]
Connection [roll1]
Vaunred [roll2]
Monsters [roll3]

Elfin
2009-10-15, 01:37 PM
Giving this thread a bump...is the game still going on?