PDA

View Full Version : ABR Discussion Thread XXVIII: Read it or Chris the celestial will set you on fire!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

V'icternus
2009-10-19, 06:43 PM
Uh, may I now raise the point that I haven't been a regular contributer for a while, due to lack of time to do stuff I like thanks to school?

X2
2009-10-19, 06:44 PM
Uh, may I now raise the point that I haven't been a regular contributer for a while, due to lack of time to do stuff I like thanks to school?

Just take the damn compliment...

V'icternus
2009-10-19, 06:47 PM
Alright. Thanks. :smalltongue:

I promise more comics will come in the future.

X2
2009-10-19, 09:02 PM
Should we have some sort of awards thing or would that be a no-no?

The Gremlin
2009-10-19, 10:20 PM

Hey, I started out as a really annoying godmodding person with abysmal art. Now I'm just an annoying person with POOR art. I'm definitely someone nobody would expect to turn out to be a regular contributer, and a very regular poster. I mean, Veera was an excellent artist, and she vanished. Same with Firedrake and many others.

The Gremlin
2009-10-19, 10:21 PM

Hey, I started out as a really annoying godmodding person with abysmal art. Now I'm just an annoying person with POOR art. I'm definitely someone nobody would expect to turn out to be a regular contributer, and a very regular poster. I mean, Veera was an excellent artist, and she vanished. Same with Firedrake and many others.
And don't get me STARTED on Beholder. :smallfrown:

X2
2009-10-19, 10:55 PM
*tries to comprehend relevance*

I would be happy just getting a Best Writer nomination...

As far as art goes PTHBTBTBTBT...

To me, it's the annoying chore that goes with the writing.

Keris
2009-10-19, 11:00 PM
*tries to comprehend relevance*

You were talking about ABRers that became more prominent. Then you suggested awards. Gremlin drew the conclusion that you were suggesting awards for ABRers who became unexpectedly prominent.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-20, 06:20 AM
You know what Xartyve? ANYONE can make fun of anything Master Ranger does. It's not hard.

It seems obvious that he's just a kid who's depretely trying to come up with something half decent to be accepted. And failing at it. But still, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from making fun of him. He's just an easy target.

You know which comic really is the best? Xatyve2000! Man this comic is great! There's this jerk who's exactly like Q, see? And then there's this girl, and she's mean too! And they become fast friends even though they insult each other! And there's this weird smiling guy!

...Look, you get my point, right? I'm not saying I hate your comic, by the way. Just that there's more to be gained from making fun of a comic with a sentient and listening writer then a ever failing writer who wrote two comics that sucked and made no sense.

X2
2009-10-20, 06:28 AM
You know what Xartyve? ANYONE can make fun of anything Master Ranger does. It's not hard.

Probably why it was spur of the moment

It seems obvious that he's just a kid who's depretely trying to come up with something half decent to be accepted. And failing at it. But still, there is absolutely nothing to be gained from making fun of him. He's just an easy target.

Too true

You know which comic really is the best? Xatyve2000! Man this comic is great! There's this jerk who's exactly like Q, see?

Because Q is in no way a ripoff of a character from a popular science fiction TV show. That'd just be silly

And then there's this girl, and she's mean too! And they become fast friends even though they insult each other!

Friends? Have you been reading the right comic?

And there's this weird smiling guy!

No argument here

...Look, you get my point, right? I'm not saying I hate your comic, by the way. Just that there's more to be gained from making fun of a comic with a sentient and listening writer then a ever failing writer who wrote two comics that sucked and made no sense.

I will try my hardest to never make fun of Master Ranger again...

But damn it's going to be hard.

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 08:37 AM
Wait, does this mean that Nightwing kills are out, too?:smalleek:

Keris
2009-10-20, 08:38 AM
What makes you think that? :smallconfused:

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 08:40 AM
What makes you think that? :smallconfused:

Because we make fun of MR because his art sucked and he godmodded, and we make fun of Nightwing for essentially the same reason. Also he was really annoying. But if we should stop making fun of MR because he just wanted to be included, then we should stop making fun of Nightwing, too, by that logic.

Keris
2009-10-20, 09:06 AM
Mocking MR's attempts at a backstory comic is significantly different from making random kills against Nightwing, who welcomes them.

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 09:30 AM
Mocking MR's attempts at a backstory comic is significantly different from making random kills against Nightwing, who welcomes them.

Wait, he had a backstory comic? :smalleek:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-10-20, 09:42 AM

It didn't last long.

Keris
2009-10-20, 09:43 AM
Yes, it was entitled "Destany, oh what a jokester it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115478)". Xartyve posted a Bum Review of it, and Q was annoyed by this.

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 09:45 AM
Yes, it was entitled "Destany, oh what a jokester it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115478)". Xartyve posted a Bum Review of it, and Q was annoyed by this.

Well...um...
X2, you suck! That's like shooting fish in a barrel! Critique a slightly more defensible one, like Exile!

kpenguin
2009-10-20, 09:47 AM
Or like... Remember!

I mean, it might have a great plot, interesting characters, and lovely artwork... but the creator! Have you heard his voice? Its all squeaky! Squeaky like a chew toy!

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 09:48 AM
Or like... Remember!

I mean, it might have a great plot, interesting characters, and lovely artwork... but the creator! Have you heard his voice? Its all squeaky! Squeaky like a chew toy!

Not to mention, he has stupid hair! :smallfurious:

Mina Kobold
2009-10-20, 11:08 AM
Or like... Remember!

It is? Weeeird.

Not to mention, he has stupid hair! :smallfurious:

I wish I had strange hair, but do his hair really look that stupid?

Lyinginbedmon
2009-10-20, 02:41 PM
It is? Weeeird.

I wish I had strange hair, but do his hair really look that stupid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bf1nVMfeM

Mina Kobold
2009-10-20, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bf1nVMfeM

Well, your voice sounds a bit clearer than mine which might be caused by linguistic differences but squeaky :smallconfused:

Your hair cut and what appear to be a beginning moustache make you look like my Werewolf GM but I wouldn't call it stupid, especially not by Danish standards.

Falgorn
2009-10-20, 03:43 PM
Hey guys. In order to restart comic making, I'll be making a comic soon. One, quick, question, though.
How the hell do you make a good, menacing plate helmet on Inkscape?

V'icternus
2009-10-20, 03:49 PM
I wish I knew. Maybe try and find one you can trace then ater in the Giants work? Or even someone elses.

I've never had to do a helmet, so I've never faced this problem.

-skimmer-
2009-10-20, 04:01 PM
Hey guys. In order to restart comic making, I'll be making a comic soon. One, quick, question, though.
How the hell do you make a good, menacing plate helmet on Inkscape?

Too lazy to write stuff, so this must suffice:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/skimmer21/rGuide1.png

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-20, 04:10 PM
I always learn better with pictures...

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 08:18 PM
I always learn better with pictures...

Meh, pictures are a waste of time. Give me a good, simple page with explanations any day. My Humanities teacher drives me crazy, because she's always doing these 'cartoon' things to explain what words mean. And she used to give interesting assignments to show that you understand them, but she's gotten really lazy now and only gives 'fill in the blank' sheets. No more short stories. :smallannoyed:
Not to mention the assignment she just gave out, one that's 'really important for the entire school year' and will be due January: We're supposed to write about important people that made a big difference in our lives. And get this? One kid asked "if there's someone I know who made a huge difference in my life, but isn't an adult, can I still include him/her?"
She responded: "No, they have to be at least 18"
That strikes me as slightly ridiculous. What difference does the age make in whether they made a big difference?
Sorry, I needed to rant about that. That assignment is going to pointlessly waste 3 months of my time. This teacher has a thing for treating us like 3rd graders, and it drives me up the wall. :smallannoyed:

X2
2009-10-20, 08:20 PM
As far as art goes PTHBTBTBTBT...

To me, it's the annoying chore that goes with the writing.

Looking at pictures is okay, drawing them is a pain

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 08:35 PM
Looking at pictures is okay, drawing them is a pain

Uh-oh, X2's talking to himself again.

X2
2009-10-20, 08:37 PM
When did you stop imminently exploding?

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-20, 08:38 PM
Hey, you guys, the thread for ABR's Finest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128604) is up. You should go read it and comment on it and stuff.

X2
2009-10-20, 08:45 PM
Hey, you guys, the thread for ABR's Finest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128604) is up. You should go read it and comment on it and stuff.

*high fives Sinister*

And it shall be awesome!

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-20, 09:04 PM
*high fives Sinister*

And it shall be awesome!

It will indeed, my friend. It will indeed.

X2
2009-10-20, 09:09 PM

Still doing the backstory comic too?

That way all three of 'em could be a triad. A triad Sinister!

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-20, 09:11 PM
Still doing the backstory comic too?

That way all three of 'em could be a triad. A triad Sinister!

Weeeell...maybe. I was thinking I might put that on hold for this, but there's a chance I'll go ahead with it. I dunno. *Shrug*

X2
2009-10-20, 09:13 PM
Trrrrrrrrriiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...:smallbig grin:

I made the announcement on 2000 about possible update changes so that's done.

I can doubtlessly get a comic done this weekend.

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 09:16 PM

So far, so fail. Just as I expected. :smalltongue:

X2
2009-10-20, 09:16 PM

To what are you reffering. His post, our hype, the comic itself, the IRC?

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-20, 09:17 PM
Trrrrrrrrriiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...:smallbig grin:

What's so special about a triad, anyway? Can't we just have a duo? :smalltongue:

I can doubtlessly get a comic done this weekend.

Awesome.

EDIT:

Oi! :smallmad:

The Gremlin
2009-10-20, 09:50 PM
To what are you reffering. His post, our hype, the comic itself, the IRC?

Ummm....:smallconfused:
The IRC. Duh.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 01:09 AM
Meh, pictures are a waste of time. Give me a good, simple page with explanations any day. My Humanities teacher drives me crazy, because she's always doing these 'cartoon' things to explain what words mean. And she used to give interesting assignments to show that you understand them, but she's gotten really lazy now and only gives 'fill in the blank' sheets. No more short stories. :smallannoyed:
Not to mention the assignment she just gave out, one that's 'really important for the entire school year' and will be due January: We're supposed to write about important people that made a big difference in our lives. And get this? One kid asked "if there's someone I know who made a huge difference in my life, but isn't an adult, can I still include him/her?"
She responded: "No, they have to be at least 18"
That strikes me as slightly ridiculous. What difference does the age make in whether they made a big difference?
Sorry, I needed to rant about that. That assignment is going to pointlessly waste 3 months of my time. This teacher has a thing for treating us like 3rd graders, and it drives me up the wall. :smallannoyed:

You should surely have learned by now that school is pretty useless, either one is too dumb and don't understand it anyway, too lazy to bother or too smart to actually have to listen. :smalltongue:

And now to be serious, that teacher sound pretty weird, I mean a real "write about an important person" assignment? I don't think we still got those in third grade if we ever did, try asking for more difficult assignment or something (or do as me and have it easy in school and learn what you want in your free time)

Nameless
2009-10-21, 02:16 AM
So, what are we arguing about today? :smallsmile:

X2
2009-10-21, 05:35 AM
Well I just got back from hell. It was horrible... my grandparents were there and they were talking about their trip to Europe... all about their trip to Europe

Suffice it to say I survived the ordeal by drinking and pretending my toes were village people worshipping me.

Wow... I have issues.:smalleek:

V'icternus
2009-10-21, 06:13 AM
No arguments here.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 06:49 AM
Well I just got back from hell. It was horrible... my grandparents were there and they were talking about their trip to Europe... all about their trip to Europe

Suffice it to say I survived the ordeal by drinking and pretending my toes were village people worshipping me.

Wow... I have issues.:smalleek:

Sounds interesting, where did they go?

Issues? It's not issues when you have to drink to act weird... Wow... I have issues :smalleek:

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 09:28 AM
Since I really didn't get an answer the last time I asked, (I don't consider "nothing" an answer) I will rephrase the question. How does ABR work and what do you guys do?:smallconfused:

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 09:44 AM
Since I really didn't get an answer the last time I asked, (I don't consider "nothing" an answer) I will rephrase the question. How does ABR work and what do you guys do?:smallconfused:

Ah, sorry.
Here in ABR, we either make comics in one of the plots, or we make 'random kills' in which we usually beat up somebody else. Go to the Art Thread to see some comics. Anybody can join, good art skills aren't even required, though we suggest you follow BRC's rules when it comes to plot. In Non-Canon comics? Anything goes.
Here at the discussion thread, we usually argue about unrelated things. When we ague about ABR things, though...then be veeery careful. An argument about whether ogres should be cannibals once nearly turned into a flame war. :smallbiggrin:
Although, the argument about Buffy wasn't related, and that got pretty nasty, too.
Hey everybody, I think it's time to work on a Halloween plot!

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 09:47 AM
I might be interested in trying my hand in helping out in a plot. I have the fan comic Idiosyncrasy and thought of seeing if I can do other kind of comic ideas.

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 09:58 AM
I might be interested in trying my hand in helping out in a plot. I have the fan comic Idiosyncrasy and thought of seeing if I can do other kind of comic ideas.

Cool. You seem to have excellent art skills. And trust me, while they aren't mandatory, they helped when the Hurt/Heal was around.
Right now we have a lot of different plots. Fat Fish Fury I just ended, to make way for it's more cynical brother, FFF II: Future Imperfect. FFF is the main plot, but there are many others, very few of which curvive long.
Sorcerer Dude Strikes Back: This one is bizarre. There are about 3 liches in it, and a bunch of weird people. I used to have a kender, but I got sick of it and left. Q has a bunch of...lawyers...at a chocolate factory...or something. The plot takes place in Avbaroy, in the City of the Dead. It's weird. And dead.
The Journey Home: Ask X2, I haven't a clue. Except that he's an ALBINO, not an wight! It's also dead.
Plot 3: So dead it isn't funny anymore. Also, I got no clue.
Blah blah blah
Chronicles of Novaris, the best plot, and the only one not in Avbaroy. :smallbiggrin: Made by my ABR nemesis of sorts DLB.

Khaeta
2009-10-21, 10:07 AM
Made by my ABR nemesis of sorts DLB.

Ooh, now you've done it...

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 10:08 AM
Ooh, now you've done it...

It's more 'enemy'. Or something. The one time we worked together, CoN was created, but usually we're arguing.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 10:52 AM
Welcome Silerraptor! I'm glad we have attracted another fine artist to our group, please enjoy your stay. The crash test dummy Nightwing is in that corner and in the other you'll find Criss the celestial who'll apparently set you on fire for about anything.

@Gremlin: You guys argue like an old married couple but I wouldn't call you enemies... Or nemesis'

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 11:28 AM
Well, is there any plot that I could help out with?

On a different note, since there are so many plots out there, can someone take the time and summarize them for me when I get "assigned" a position?

Darklord Bright
2009-10-21, 12:08 PM
He's less my nemesis and more "that dude who gives me lip at the checkout counter".

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 12:16 PM
Well, is there any plot that I could help out with?

On a different note, since there are so many plots out there, can someone take the time and summarize them for me when I get "assigned" a position?

Uhm. You don't get assigned to a plot, You just join it. If you play by the rules, don't make continuity errors and act nicely your comics will be accepted, we don't plan ahead as it would halt creativity :smallsmile:

Plot summary.
Future Imperfect: The dark and edgy future of the characters used in the now ended FFF plot, it's not too high on magic and has a relatively low power level. The technology are at WW1 level though more advanced technology exist hidden by the United Nations of Avbaroy who is lead by Igon Minobledy's evil clone Ins and thus the heroes of FFF think he has evil plans with it. They started the resistance which is the major opposer of the UNA.
Chronicles of Novaris: Is centred around a sentient magic-boosting macguffin and has a more unique magic system,more can be found in the Novaris Wiki in Darklord Bright's signature.
The Journey Home: Some interdimensional jumpers try to get their leader home and achieve other goals by checking through the alternate universes until they find it.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 01:08 PM
Uhm. You don't get assigned to a plot, You just join it. If you play by the rules, don't make continuity errors and act nicely your comics will be accepted, we don't plan ahead as it would halt creativity :smallsmile:

So, are you telling me that the comics in a plot only appear because a person was faster then the others at getting the comic out to make a plot move in the direction they wanted?:smallconfused:

BRC
2009-10-21, 01:44 PM
So, are you telling me that the comics in a plot only appear because a person was faster then the others at getting the comic out to make a plot move in the direction they wanted?:smallconfused:
Pretty much.
Of course, some systems are in place. When you start a comic you usually say "Making a comic for Plot X". Also, we, as a community, will declare comics "Non-Canon" if they greatly from stuff. For example, if you make a comic where your character comes in and brokers a peace between the UNA and the ALF, uniting both groups against an army of demons that randomly pops up in you're comic, we will likely declare it non-canon.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 01:46 PM
Pretty much.
Of course, some systems are in place. When you start a comic you usually say "Making a comic for Plot X". Also, we, as a community, will declare comics "Non-Canon" if they greatly from stuff. For example, if you make a comic where your character comes in and brokers a peace between the UNA and the ALF, uniting both groups against an army of demons that randomly pops up in you're comic, we will likely declare it non-canon.

Hmmm... this seems more complicated then I initially thought, but that won't stop me from trying. So what kind of comic do you guys think I should try my hand at assisting in the plot?

BRC
2009-10-21, 01:52 PM
Hmmm... this seems more complicated then I initially thought, but that won't stop me from trying. So what kind of comic do you guys think I should try my hand at assisting in the plot?
A good idea if you want to do somthing dramatic in the plot (Like introduce a new character) is to post your idea on this thread first, so we can look at it, see if it fits in the setting (" The Karrish homeland was cut off 200 years ago, so you'll need to change your backstory"), offer suggestions ("Hey, nifty character idea, maybe he works for the UNIA, or Them"), and tell you if it's not the direction we want things to go ("Nice idea, but we already agreed the Machinists would get driven back when Brain sabotages their Howitzers").

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 01:54 PM

With those words?.. Pretty much yes.

We of course can't make the characters of others take big decisions (unless an agreement have been made ahead of the comic) or kill/wound/etc. them either, the rule is you can attempt to do something but if it's reasonable the victim can avoid it in someway ("My character shoots your character" would be the wrong way but "My character attempt to shoot your character" would be right) All comics of course should follow the setting of the given plot and it's recommended not to make your character the centre of everything, that's what backstory comics are for.

It seems more understandable if you know how it started.
In the beginning there was only random kills, but as counter-kills was made it eventually ended up developing continuity and plot. The first plot started this way with the Almighty Salmon dropping his non-player brother Leroy on moonelf Threeshades after her rejection of dating, Threeshades then chooses to date Leroyand a story starts where everyone added their twist to the plot now known as Fat Fish Fury. Since then we have grown and has become more organised d serious thus resulting in more detailed¨ad less chaotic settings of plots such as CoN and FI. that's all for this lesson but feel free to ask next time :smalltongue::smallsmile:

EDIT:
Lucky me, I was ninjaed by BloodyRedCommie :smallbiggrin:

Grim ranger
2009-10-21, 01:55 PM

It is customary for new people to start with random killing Nightwing, the punching bag of ABR. You just make short comic where your character kills him in some manner and you have been officially introduced and somesuch :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 02:06 PM
It is customary for new people to start with random killing Nightwing, the punching bag of ABR. You just make short comic where your character kills him in some manner and you have been officially introduced and somesuch :smallbiggrin:

And who may I ask is Nightwing? I hope you don't mean that batman deserter robin that left and decided to become a vigilanty superhero on his own?

And as for a character, does it have to be my avatar or can I create someone out of the blue?

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 02:39 PM
And who may I ask is Nightwing? I hope you don't mean that batman deserter robin that left and decided to become a vigilanty superhero on his own?

And as for a character, does it have to be my avatar or can I create someone out of the blue?

Not quite. We are talking about the infamous Nightwing, user on this forum but his character look a lot like the DC vigilante. H don't post here anymore.

The "Avatar" part origins in the simple days of the random kills back in the first threads when they still followed the idea of ABR's creator. Nowadays though, we have so many plots that having the same character would become inconvenient and any change their avatar fairly often... So no you don't need to use your avatar :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 03:13 PM
Not quite. We are talking about the infamous Nightwing, user on this forum but his character look a lot like the DC vigilante. H don't post here anymore.

The "Avatar" part origins in the simple days of the random kills back in the first threads when they still followed the idea of ABR's creator. Nowadays though, we have so many plots that having the same character would become inconvenient and any change their avatar fairly often... So no you don't need to use your avatar :smallsmile:

1) Can someone post an image of his avatar so that I can perform the initiation of beating the crap out of him to become part of ABR?

2) Excellent! I have a perfect character I came up with. The only thing I need is a name for him, since I invented him in the shipping thread. Which plot would best support a technological superior mastermind who had an entire robotic army under his control?:smallconfused:

-skimmer-
2009-10-21, 03:26 PM
1) Can someone post an image of his avatar so that I can perform the initiation of beating the crap out of him to become part of ABR?

Have mine. I updated it a week ago:
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/skimmer21/nightwingshow.png

Mina Kobold
2009-10-21, 03:27 PM

2) Excellent! I have a perfect character I came up with. The only thing I need is a name for him, since I invented him in the shipping thread. Which plot would best support a technological superior mastermind who had an entire robotic army under his control?:smallconfused:

1) I can't find a picture at the moment but maybe later

2)I see five problems with that
2a) Only one plot has technology more advanced than WW1
2b) It's more powerful than every villain of any plot I can think of right now.
2c) One character is death himself and even he don't have an army
2d) FI has most armies of any plot and it has two whom we all are working for and not controlling.
2e) Something about pies caused the to make a no-army rule.

But try Sorcerer Dude Strikes Back if it's still running, it seems to have that sorta stuff in it :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 03:31 PM

2d) FI has most armies of any plot and it has two whom we all are working for and not controlling.
2e) Something about pies caused the to make a no-army rule.

But try Sorcerer Dude Strikes Back if it's still running, it seems to have that sorta stuff in it :smallsmile:

Can you clarify all of "2" for me with examples are more comprehensible reasons so that I may understand. Then I can think of a plot point or a new plot to incorporate him into the ABR.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-21, 03:40 PM
Can you clarify all of "2" for me with examples are more comprehensible reasons so that I may understand. Then I can think of a plot point or a new plot to incorporate him into the ABR.

"No Armies" has been an established rule since the end of the first thread.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 03:42 PM
"No Armies" has been an established rule since the end of the first thread.

Ok, that's one point down. Making a note for my character. Now about the other four points.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-21, 03:58 PM
Ok, that's one point down. Making a note for my character. Now about the other four points.

Points b-e are basically restating "No Armies". Point a refers to the fact that only one (1) out of the many plots we have has the established technology to support a robot army. And it's also quite deceased.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-21, 05:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, I can't realy remember a time were people fought over who makes a comic first.

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 05:18 PM

Actually, in FFF I I had Ovu Monoboi, a masked undead cat thing who was totally not a Buffy reference. He has enormous legions, the full extent of which was never seen, due to unmentioned problems that made it difficult to have more than about 3 of his servants on another plane at once. However, the amount of servants he had was incredible, due in large part to the fact that time didn't pass on his plane and he had millennium to acquire servants, many of which would have been BBEGs otherwise and thus had their OWN servants. However, since Ovu Monobi is dead and most of his followers destroyed, far less remain.
/\Oh yeah? What about CoN, infidel!
Also, FI isn't dead. It shouldn't be long now that FFF I is over.

X2
2009-10-21, 05:35 PM
Welcome aboard Silverraptor! I look forward toJOIN TJHreading some of yourJOIN TJHcomics. If you have anyJOIN TJHspecific questions I'll beJOIN TJHmore than happy to answerJOIN TJHthem.

Falgorn
2009-10-21, 05:39 PM
Oh, and, Silver:

Remember, Remember
The Fifth of November
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot
I know of know reason
Why Gunpowder Treason
should ever be forgot

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 05:41 PM
Welcome aboard Silverraptor! I look forward toJOIN TJHreading some of yourJOIN TJHcomics. If you have anyJOIN TJHspecific questions I'll beJOIN TJHmore than happy to answerJOIN TJHthem.

Indeed! Don't letCON IS BETTER all our rules confuseCON IS BETTER you, the truth isJOIIIIN USSSSSSS... it's actually fairlyCON IS AWESOME simple. It's basicallyJOIN FFRPing, except withJOIN NOW comics and a lot more planning...WE HAVE RED GLOWING KOBOLDS WITH FLOPPY EARS.... And a lot more...AND NAZI OGRES WITH TRANSPARENT HAIR... arguing. AND LOTS OF BANTERDON'T LET THOSE CAPS JUST NOW CONFUSE YOU, CON IS STILL MORE IMPORTANT!!! JUST JOIN ALREADY!!!.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-21, 05:43 PM
CON is my favorite plot.

Join us...

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 05:44 PM
CON is my favorite plot.

Join us...

Yessssss, joiiin the mossssst uniiiiique plooooot iiiiin ABRRRRRR... *Spooky voice*

X2
2009-10-21, 05:45 PM
I'd like to add that the above posters were both in TJH at one point.

V'icternus
2009-10-21, 05:47 PM
Stop trying to seduce SR!

...It creeps me out!

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 05:47 PM

Aaaaand exactlyyyyy how devoooooted was I to iiiiiit? How manyyyyyy comicsss did I maaaake?
Ooooooone. And a bad one, toooooooooo. Meanwhiiiiiillllle, IIIIII've maaaaade about 5 CoN comicssssss, AT THE LEASSSST. Most likely twiiiiiice thaaaaat.
/\ Yesss, he wiiiill come to agreeeee with our belieeeefs.... *Spooky voice*

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-21, 05:48 PM

By the way, Gremlin...are you ever going to provide an explanation for your character's MYSTEEEERIOUS disappearance or whatever? Just out of curiosity.

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 05:51 PM
By the way, Gremlin...are you ever going to provide an explanation for your character's MYSTEEEERIOUS disappearance or whatever? Just out of curiosity.

Given that TJH is dead, I doubt it'll come up. The trouble is, I decided the Albino was a shapeshifter before I realized I can't draw that. :smallannoyed:
Fortunately, he actually always tied in with FI. :smallamused:

X2
2009-10-21, 05:53 PM
But seriously though, all these plots rockJOIN TJH

...Shut up jealous Xartyve2!

Screw you man!

Don't make me beat you with my shoe!

Join TJH Silveraptor! It's the only waaay!

Oh that is it!!

*beats Jealous Xartyve2 with shoe*

Sweet merciful god it hurts! Join TJH! Jooiiiiin TJH......

Much better. Now here is a list of the various plots I would reccomend.

FI
Pretty much every ABRer is going to be in this one, it looks to be very promising but as it hasn't started yet, you might need something the hold you over like...

CoN
My personal apathy for the plot aside I don't think anybody can deny that it's damned original, and it has pretty memorable design going for it too. Even if I don't actually participate, I can admit to being a reader of it.

TJH
So maybe the Stargate/Sliders ripoff is not hugely original, but to pat myself and most of the other participants of this plot on the back it has some stellar writing and a lot of untapped potential. Check that out too!

So yeah, that's about it... Good luck

Remember me! Ugh... join TJH

Don't make me bring out my stabbin' knife Jealous X2!

EDIT:

Given that TJH is dead, I doubt it'll come up. The trouble is, I decided the Albino was a shapeshifter before I realized I can't draw that. :smallannoyed:
Fortunately, he actually always tied in with FI. :smallamused:

No freakin' way... people just need to get off their lazy asses and make comics. DBright recently made one, I recently made one I have had several people tell me they're going to make one (as much as that means 'round here)

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 05:56 PM
But seriously though, all these plots rockJOIN TJH

...Shut up jealous Xartyve2!

Screw you man!

Don't make me beat you with my shoe!

Join TJH Silveraptor! It's the only waaay!

Oh that is it!!

*beats Jealous Xartyve2 with shoe*

Sweet merciful god it hurts! Join TJH! Jooiiiiin TJH......

Much better. Now here is a list of the various plots I would reccomend.

FI
Pretty much every ABRer is going to be in this one, it looks to be very promising but as it hasn't started yet, you might need something the hold you over like...

CoN
My personal apathy for the plot aside I don't think anybody can deny that it's damned original, and it has pretty memorable design going for it too. Even if I don't actually participate, I can admit to being a reader of it.

TJH
So maybe the Stargate/Sliders ripoff is not hugely original, but to pat myself and most of the other participants of this plot on the back it has some stellar writing and a lot of untapped potential. Check that out too!

So yeah, that's about it... Good luck

Remember me! Ugh... join TJH

Don't make me bring out my stabbin' knife Jealous X2!

Too late. *Pulls out stabbing knife from body of Jealous X2*
And allow me to thank you for complimenting CoN. I forgive you for your support of the RCiay. /pig latin
A big explanation of CoN:
CoN started when DLB decided we needed a new plot to replace FFF as the High Fantasy plot. She was right, of course. However, as you will see, new plots have a habit of dying around here. So I was the most cynical. "Avbaroy is the only world we should use", I said. "This plot will fail."
However, they had some very intriguing ideas. I decided it couldn't hurt to help out. So DLB presented me with the first race destined for what would later be dubbed Novaris: Kobolds. Red creatures with floppy ears. Awesome, so I designed a race of polite but xenophobic--did I use that word correctly?--creatures with incredible power over metal. They glowed bright gold, of course, because of a particular type of mushroom which was their sole food source for centuries. All their meals were centered around it.
Next came many other races, such as a race related to kobolds with power over stone, which was rejected, and contructs made by the main villain, the Kalps. I myself made the Ogres, which were solely mine. Originally, they were brainwashed with a command to kill all non-ogres that they saw, and that despite their dislike of this, it was 'the rule'. However, after a bunch of flamers swarmed me--I'm talking to you, DLB--I had to change them a lot, so that only a large amount of them killing and eating non-ogres.

Falgorn
2009-10-21, 06:10 PM
Oh, and, Silver:

Remember, Remember
The Fifth of November
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot
I know of know reason
Why Gunpowder Treason
should ever be forgot

Hah, none of you got it!
Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Keris
2009-10-21, 06:11 PM
Hah, none of you got it!
Bwahahahahahahahaha!

"Not getting" and "not caring" are two very different things.

X2
2009-10-21, 06:12 PM
Considering that 99 percent of the population have seen V for Vendetta I'm sure we all did.

How 'bout this then?

In Xanadu, did Kubla Khan
a stately pleasure dome decree
Where Alph the sacred river ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea

Keris
2009-10-21, 06:13 PM
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round:
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 06:13 PM
A big explanation of CoN:
CoN started when DLB decided we needed a new plot to replace FFF as the High Fantasy plot. She was right, of course. However, as you will see, new plots have a habit of dying around here. So I was the most cynical. "Avbaroy is the only world we should use", I said. "This plot will fail."
However, they had some very intriguing ideas. I decided it couldn't hurt to help out. So DLB presented me with the first race destined for what would later be dubbed Novaris: Kobolds. Red creatures with floppy ears. Awesome, so I designed a race of polite but xenophobic--did I use that word correctly?--creatures with incredible power over metal. They glowed bright gold, of course, because of a particular type of mushroom which was their sole food source for centuries. All their meals were centered around it.
Next came many other races, such as a race related to kobolds with power over stone, which was rejected, and contructs made by the main villain, the Kalps. I myself made the Ogres, which were solely mine. Originally, they were brainwashed with a command to kill all non-ogres that they saw, and that despite their dislike of this, it was 'the rule'. However, after a bunch of flamers swarmed me--I'm talking to you, DLB--I had to change them a lot, so that only a large amount of them killing and eating non-ogres.
/\Vfor Vendetta? Nope, never watched it, never heard of it.

X2
2009-10-21, 06:32 PM
The text wall... is so high... can't *gasp* climb *gasp* allofittttttttt.....

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 06:37 PM
The text wall... is so high... can't *gasp* climb *gasp* allofittttttttt.....

Hello, I am going to teach you the quickest way to copy/paste by saying the word 'chalk' 500 times.
Chalk chalk chalk [censored]
*Maniacal laugh*

Falgorn
2009-10-21, 06:42 PM
"Not getting" and "not caring" are two very different things.

Love ya too, Keris. You remind me of my former camp counselor.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 06:53 PM
*Chuckles*

So you 2 are fighting over me, huh?:smallamused:

Well, I will be asking questions to see which plot is right for me. Please keep it civil and the in-fighting at a minimum.

Question #1: Which plot setting is the most supportive of a technological character?

More questions to come based on answers.

Keris
2009-10-21, 06:57 PM
Plot 3, currently deceased, is the most technologically oriented. Following that, The Journey Home would probably be best.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 07:04 PM
Plot 3, currently deceased, is the most technologically oriented. Following that, The Journey Home would probably be best.

Thanks, Keris.

Question #2: In a quick summary, who is the cast in those 2 plots?

BRC
2009-10-21, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Keris.

Question #2: In a quick summary, who is the cast in those 2 plots?
Plot 3 is so long dead that it dosn't deserve mentioning.
TJH is currently in a Coma.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 07:24 PM
Plot 3 is so long dead that it dosn't deserve mentioning.
TJH is currently in a Coma.

That doesn't sound good. Quick! Brief summary of what's happened and were they're at! I may just re-awaken it!

BRC
2009-10-21, 07:29 PM
That doesn't sound good. Quick! Brief summary of what's happened and were they're at! I may just re-awaken it!
TJH is very plot-driven. A group of people, based out of a facility imaginatively named "Home Base" Jump between dimensions and have wild adventures.

Last time around, they entered a dimension ruled by fiends. They ran afoul of a race of small demons known as the Infernal Machinists, who rather than consuming souls, use them to power various machines. The Away Team was captured and taken to Fortress Factory Three, they fought their way through a variety of machinist soldiers, finally confronting the Fortresses commander, Colonel Xavik. Xavik and his troops proved too much for the disunified team, and they were faced with two options, surrender, or annihilation. Xartyve2 chose the Impossible, and cast his ultimate spell, Rapture. They then D-Jumped back to Home Base, but an epilouge revealed that Xavik survived the spell.

Also Featured: Slaudor, the Bluewings, and Trent the Enchanted Cat.

Edit: So yeah, your mad scientist character is technically possible, but our resident secret brit has planned the general plot of TJH out very far in advance, so you'll have to talk to him.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 07:33 PM
Ok, so what's the next idea then? What's happened since then?

BRC
2009-10-21, 07:35 PM
Ok, so what's the next idea then? What's happened since then?
They arrived in a city and ran afoul of a S.W.A.T team.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 07:42 PM
What did they do?

BRC
2009-10-21, 07:44 PM
What did they do?
Arrived in an alleyway.

Due to my secret sources, I have information that has yet to be revealed in-comic. So yeah.

Keris
2009-10-21, 07:45 PM
It would probably be a good idea to read through the TJH archive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6458948&postcount=1061), instead of just asking questions. This way you get all the information in one go.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 07:47 PM
Arrived in an alleyway.

Due to my secret sources, I have information that has yet to be revealed in-comic. So yeah.

That kind of makes it hard to expand on a comic.

And sure I'll read through it Keris, thanks.

BRC
2009-10-21, 07:48 PM
That kind of makes it hard to expand on a comic.

And sure I'll read through it Keris, thanks.

Well get your own secret sources. By which I mean ask Xarty, he'll be all too happy to tell you what's been planned.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 07:50 PM
I see then. And after going through the first few comics, I can already tell that different styles are at work here. It's going to take a while to get used to, but I'll manage.

Edit: Sent a pm. Once he responds, I'll see what I can do to get it off life support.

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-21, 09:52 PM
*Chuckles*

So you 2 are fighting over me, huh?:smallamused:

Well, I will be asking questions to see which plot is right for me. Please keep it civil and the in-fighting at a minimum.

You can join both of them, you know. Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also, I've finally gotten inspiration for a CoN comic that will move the plot, so hopefully I'll be able to make one soon.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 09:58 PM

EDIT: Also, I've finally gotten inspiration for a CoN comic that will move the plot, so hopefully I'll be able to make one soon.

That is a possibility...

Well then I guess I'll read CoN as well, just to see what it's like.

Edit: Uh... anyone have a link to CoN?

X2
2009-10-21, 10:01 PM

But what about TJH...?

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-21, 10:03 PM
That is a possibility...

Well then I guess I'll read CoN as well, just to see what it's like.

Edit: Uh... anyone have a link to CoN?

Here. (http://encyclopedia-novaris.wikispaces.com/Comic+Index)

It hasn't been updated for a little while, though, so you'll have to look in the art thread for the rest.

The wiki also contains lots of setting information on Novaris, so it's recommended you read up on it.

But what about TJH...?

I'll make it afterwards. Sorry, I'm just kinda drawing a blank whenever I try to plan out a comic for it.

X2
2009-10-21, 10:20 PM
I think we can expect great things from Silveraptor...

The Gremlin
2009-10-21, 10:34 PM
If you join CoN: Yay! CoN is by far the most unique plot, for many reasons. It does not use D&D rules, there aren't any 'planes', its races aren't totally surreal, and it's AWESOMEST!!!! :smallbiggrin:
Also, play an Abura-Bo. Just because nobody's playing one yet. :smallwink:

X2
2009-10-21, 10:37 PM
If you join CoN: Yay! CoN is by far the most unique plot, for many reasons. It does not use D&D rules, there aren't any 'planes', its races aren't totally surreal, and it's AWESOMEST!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Arguments over, he's made his choice.

You were much less frustrating when you were whining about the IRC.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 10:37 PM

No DnD rules? Makes it more complicated on my part. Don't entire understand what you're saying. And it sounds like a jumbled mess of a comic. Hopes aren't high, but I'm reading it.

Arguments over, he's made his choice.

You were much less frustrating when you were whining about the IRC.

Now, now. I may be able to spend time with both comics.

By the way, can you post another comic when you do the one before it, or is there a rule where you have to wait for someone to post something in between?

BRC
2009-10-21, 10:41 PM
I should find some time in my busy collegiate life to do a CoN

X2
2009-10-21, 10:43 PM
Now, now. I may be able to spend time with both comics.

By the way, can you post another comic when you do the one before it, or is there a rule where you have to wait for someone to post something in between?

You sure can! I personally like to have a 2 comic buffer though.

Keris
2009-10-21, 10:44 PM
NAnd it sounds like a jumbled mess of a comic. Hopes aren't high, but I'm reading it.
Sirrah, all ABR plots are jumbled messes.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 10:45 PM
Sirrah, all ABR plots are jumbled messes.

Ah, yes. Silly me.

Edit: Just read it, not entirely sure I understand what is happening. So I take it we don't know what the creature is or where it went?

X2
2009-10-21, 11:16 PM
Wow... what the hell?

Usually when jumping in to the middle of a story I can pick up the pieces and figure out what is going on but ABR?

Shoopa... can someone give me a brief (or as brief as possible) plot summary?

My first ABR related post... so young... so naive...

Darklord Bright
2009-10-22, 03:36 AM
Ah, yes. Silly me.

Edit: Just read it, not entirely sure I understand what is happening. So I take it we don't know what the creature is or where it went?

The characters do not, but we ourselves have a vague idea of at least what it is: It's a magical creature which pretty much oozes some unknown magic (Which I think would be closest to DnD psionics, for comparison.). It does not mean to influence people with its subconscious, as it does, and in its raw state is harmful - like radiation. This is why it is contained.

Just ask around if you have questions. Quite a bit was discussed but never written down - and it has caused many an argument when people forget or misinterpret something that has been said in the past. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2009-10-22, 06:32 AM
Considering that 99 percent of the population have seen V for Vendetta I'm sure we all did.

Not over here they haven't, more like 40 percent by my guesses.

@Silverraptor: What I was saying was basicly that we don't like armies and that the power and technology level of most plots are reatively low, to compare it with popular fiction we are about as good as the Fellowship minus Gandalf and a technical genius with an entire robot army would in many plots be as powerful as Sauron.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 08:56 AM
The characters do not, but we ourselves have a vague idea of at least what it is: It's a magical creature which pretty much oozes some unknown magic (Which I think would be closest to DnD psionics, for comparison.). It does not mean to influence people with its subconscious, as it does, and in its raw state is harmful - like radiation. This is why it is contained.

Just ask around if you have questions. Quite a bit was discussed but never written down - and it has caused many an argument when people forget or misinterpret something that has been said in the past. :smalltongue:

Like that time when you decided, without mentioning it to me, that ogres kept humans as pets instead of eating them. Nah, no difference there. :smallannoyed:
X2: I was just explaining a bit of CoN to him. :smallconfused:
Raptor: Have you seen the whole wiki yet? It explains a lot.
/\ Except for CoN. Metal robots? Not so scary for kobolds. :smallamused:

BRC
2009-10-22, 09:09 AM
Like that time when you decided, without mentioning it to me, that ogres kept humans as pets instead of eating them. Nah, no difference there. :smallannoyed:
X2: I was just explaining a bit of CoN to him. :smallconfused:
Raptor: Have you seen the whole wiki yet? It explains a lot.
/\ Except for CoN. Metal robots? Not so scary for kobolds. :smallamused:
Not pets, so much as "Livestock", just kidding, let's not bring up arguments again.
And Kobolds would mess up metal robots. Also, depending on if their magic affects Recorded Information or just Written Information, the Karrish might be magical super-hackers.

Silverraptor
2009-10-22, 09:13 AM
I've read both TJH and CoN. I know what kind of character to make for TJH, but now I'm thinking of one for CoN.

So in CoN, does the creature know it's harmful like radiation? And why is each group after it?:smallconfused:

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 09:18 AM
I've read both TJH and CoN. I know what kind of character to make for TJH, but now I'm thinking of one for CoN.

So in CoN, does the creature know it's harmful like radiation? And why is each group after it?:smallconfused:

Yes, it does, though it doesn't try to abuse that power.
The kobolds are on its side, and are actually trying to free it. The main group is a bit more shaky. The Archmage wants it for its power, the Goldcloaks wwere ORIGINALLY going to destroy it to keep the balance, but CERTAIN PEOPLE decided no. So the Goldcloaks want to imprison and study it. The Alchemist's guild also wishes to study it, and TEAM wants it destroyed. There's also a group of mostly non-spiritbound who want it destroyed so as not to give spiritbound any advantage.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-22, 09:20 AM

It has absolutely no idea and it also empowers magic when nearby which is why the archmage wants it, the goldcloaks want it for study and TEAM want to destroy it.

Silverraptor
2009-10-22, 09:21 AM
The kobolds are on its side, and are actually trying to free it. The main group is a bit more shaky. The Archmage wants it for its power, the Goldcloaks wwere ORIGINALLY going to destroy it to keep the balance, but CERTAIN PEOPLE decided no. So the Goldcloaks want to imprison and study it. The Alchemist's guild also wishes to study it, and TEAM wants it destroyed. There's also a group of mostly non-spiritbound who want it destroyed so as not to give spiritbound any advantage.

I see. Very interesting.

Now would it be alright to make a character that is not part of any of those groups and stumbles upon the creature in its imprisonment before any of the others get there?

(And I don't think Kobolds are supposed to look like that.)

Edit: Ok. One of you says it knows it's harmful. The other says it doesn't know it's harmful. Which is it?

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 09:30 AM
I see. Very interesting.

Now would it be alright to make a character that is not part of any of those groups and stumbles upon the creature in its imprisonment before any of the others get there?

(And I don't think Kobolds are supposed to look like that.)

Edit: Ok. One of you says it knows it's harmful. The other says it doesn't know it's harmful. Which is it?

We need a third party here.
On the Creature, I'd compare it to Dawn from Buffy: It's capable of terrible things, but is innocent. But how could it NOT know it's harmful? When it was captured, it must have touched SOMEBODY. :smallconfused:
Also, what? Kobolds aren't supposed to look like what?

Silverraptor
2009-10-22, 09:39 AM
We need a third party here.

Excellent! So I will try to come up with a thrid party character.

On the Creature, I'd compare it to Dawn from Buffy: It's capable of terrible things, but is innocent. But how could it NOT know it's harmful? When it was captured, it must have touched SOMEBODY. :smallconfused:

But that doesn't mean it knows why. I will go with the "Too innocent to know it's harmful." Gag.

Also, what? Kobolds aren't supposed to look like what?

Please let this be sarcasm and if it isn't, look at Rich's kobold or the Kobolds in my comic.

BRC
2009-10-22, 09:43 AM
Please let this be sarcasm and if it isn't, look at Rich's kobold or the Kobolds in my comic.
CoN Kobolds are not DnD Kobolds
Con Ogres are not DnD Ogres
Con Trolls are not DnD Trolls
CoN mages are not DnD Mages
We intentionally tried to create a different sort of fantasy universe with CoN. Kobold is just a name after all.

Silverraptor
2009-10-22, 09:46 AM
CoN Kobolds are not DnD Kobolds
Con Ogres are not DnD Ogres
Con Trolls are not DnD Trolls
CoN mages are not DnD Mages
We intentionally tried to create a different sort of fantasy universe with CoN. Kobold is just a name after all.

Oh...

I see, I see.

So this means I can go crazy on developing this character of mine with magic and what not?

BRC
2009-10-22, 09:48 AM
Oh...

I see, I see.

So this means I can go crazy on developing this character of mine with magic and what not?
Provided it fits within the pre-established ruleset of the universe. Namely that Magic is either limited (Racial magics) or dangerous (Spirit Magic).

Here, why don't you suggest your character, and we'll take a look at it and offer suggestions to make it fit. Also, read through the wiki.

MethosH
2009-10-22, 09:55 AM
Oh...

I see, I see.

Not really "go crazy"... Go with BRC suggestion... Read superficially the Wiki, no need to read it all, them make a character and post here.

We will take a look and let you know if anything needs changing to fit the world.

On another topic: Hey! I'm almost back :D

-skimmer-
2009-10-22, 09:57 AM
The kobolds are on its side, and are actually trying to free it. The main group is a bit more shaky. The Archmage wants it for its power, the Goldcloaks wwere ORIGINALLY going to destroy it to keep the balance, but CERTAIN PEOPLE decided no. So the Goldcloaks want to imprison and study it. The Alchemist's guild needs laser canon for their war-golem, and TEAM wants it destroyed. There's also a group of mostly non-spiritbound who want it destroyed so as not to give spiritbound any advantage.

Fixed for you....
Nah, not really :P

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 09:59 AM
Excellent! So I will try to come up with a thrid party character.

But that doesn't mean it knows why. I will go with the "Too innocent to know it's harmful." Gag.

I meant 'third party' as in a third person to tell whether the Creature knew or not.
I never said it knew why, but it knows.
BRC said it all. Kobolds aren't meant to be reptilian, either. Read some German folklore. :smallamused:

Darklord Bright
2009-10-22, 11:37 AM
Gremlin, could you stop dropping completely un-called for attacks to me in your posts? It's not subtle, and I don't apprieciate you doing it, especially when you know it was not just me who took issue in any of those instances by far.

Seriously, stop pretending I'm some complete dictator, it's irritating even if you don't intend it. For instance, the Goldcloak thing you brought up was never the case, a fact which I proved, and the Ogre thing was due to you keeping a lot of information from us - an issue which we worked out, I might add, so why don't you drop it and move on? It's obvious that you are trying to spark further arguments, (which is flame-baiting) and I suggest you stop.

Move on.

MethosH
2009-10-22, 12:11 PM

You forgot about my two Karrish that just want to interrogate the creature in order to find leaders of The Black Claw Union to bring it down.

-skimmer-
2009-10-22, 01:15 PM
Updated few templates of mine:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/skimmer21/Newtemplates1b.png

Any thoughts? Questions? Critique?

Note: On the 4th picture she's really dyed black....

Silverraptor
2009-10-22, 01:34 PM
Well, Skimmer, I think it's cool.

And I just read though part of the wiki and it seems pretty set up. I don't know if you guys are closed to a new mysterious race, because that was what I was developing. Admittedly, I don't have everything done on it (Such as what it looks like) but I was working on it. Now I wonder whether I should stop...

MethosH
2009-10-22, 01:47 PM
Well, Skimmer, I think it's cool.

And I just read though part of the wiki and it seems pretty set up. I don't know if you guys are closed to a new mysterious race, because that was what I was developing. Admittedly, I don't have everything done on it (Such as what it looks like) but I was working on it. Now I wonder whether I should stop...

I'm willing to accept it as long as it is a good idea

If you have anything ready you can post it here and we will decide :smallsmile:

Mina Kobold
2009-10-22, 02:17 PM
Updated few templates of mine:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/skimmer21/Newtemplates1b.png

Any thoughts? Questions? Critique?

Note: On the 4th picture she's really dyed black....

Wow... Cool, Just cool. *in awe*

I only have two very minor critics, one is that the eyes on the final one doesn't look much like the regular eyes and thus gives it an off look when in vicinity of others with normal eyes. The other is the gun, while it's nicely drawn the glow makes it look like it's surreal or just arrived inter-dimensionally, I would personally recommend to place the glow on top of the gun such that the gun is coloured by it too giving the impression that the glow also extends in the readers direction and not just flatly to the sides as if it were a piece of paper. Just my two [Insert plural form of local currency of low value here] :smallsmile:

@Methos: He also forgot the Thirions, while I can't recall those created by CrimsonAngel Weasel certainly is just doing it for the money and because he has nothing better to do.

Silverraptor
2009-10-22, 02:47 PM
I'm willing to accept it as long as it is a good idea

If you have anything ready you can post it here and we will decide :smallsmile:

Well, I have an idea. I definately need to expand on it, but I have the mysterious background and the motive for why it could be after the thing. I'll put all information in a spoiler.

This creature is a vicious looking being. Fangs, claws, horns, tail, it has it all. However, this creature's skin, while tough and resislient, is very sensitive to light of any kind. Being in broad daylight is to us being submersed in magma. Torch light or any other dim kind of light will still burn it quite quickly, but it can tolerate it for a short while.

No one really knows what this creature is or how it came to existance. Not even it knows if there are others like it. But it does have a massive instinct for survival, so it stays in absolute darkness, under the earth in a small cavern. It has glowing red eyes which it uses to see in the darkness that constantly surrounds it.

It has been on the surface a few times however, on cloudy nights that develop a pitch blackness. It has developed a longing to be able to leave it's lair for good and be able to share the sunlight with all surface dwelling creatures.

This is the story I envisioned for it to become part of the plot.
The story I envisioned is that a cloudy night appears where the bouncing being is still bouncing around in a mountain. After bounching off of everything else, the creature manages to grab and hold the sphere on the first attempt. It then brings it back to it's lair, with the being inside asking for help. Eventually, the magic being inside the sphere lights up the cave, but this light has no affect on the creature's skin at all. The creature then will decide that it wants to figure out if the magic being will allow it to resist the light on the suface and will experiment to try to get his wish to become a reality. He will fight to the death to protect the being until he succeeds.

And that was what I was thinking. A nice quiet spot to put the being until the rest of the characters catch up. Then we can rumble from there. What do you guys think?:smallconfused:

-skimmer-
2009-10-22, 03:18 PM
Wow... Cool, Just cool. *in awe*

I only have two very minor critics, one is that the eyes on the final one doesn't look much like the regular eyes and thus gives it an off look when in vicinity of others with normal eyes. The other is the gun, while it's nicely drawn the glow makes it look like it's surreal or just arrived inter-dimensionally, I would personally recommend to place the glow on top of the gun such that the gun is coloured by it too giving the impression that the glow also extends in the readers direction and not just flatly to the sides as if it were a piece of paper. Just my two [Insert plural form of local currency of low value here] :smallsmile:

It's not supposed to look like regular eyes....she's wearing a gas mask on that picture. Maybe I didn't mention it before, but that yellow glowing stuff what comes out of her eyes behaves more like a gas than a light, it can be stored, and if compressed enough(like from wearing that mask too long, approx. more than 16 hours), it tends to make glow like a floodlight.......fortunately, when confronted by any bigger space than that, it simply vanish(not disperse) without a trace....
Oh, and that gun isn't supposed to glow black like that.....I just thought a white gun would look better on white background this way:smalltongue:

Thanks anyway:smallsmile:

Keris
2009-10-22, 03:31 PM
And that was what I was thinking. A nice quiet spot to put the being until the rest of the characters catch up. Then we can rumble from there. What do you guys think?:smallconfused:

Personally, I think it would a good idea not to toss more races into CoN (heck, it was even stated ages ago "no more races"). Races often a substitute for characterisation, and we have enough sentient species for a decent setting already.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-22, 03:37 PM
It's not supposed to look like regular eyes....she's wearing a gas mask on that picture. Maybe I didn't mention it before, but that yellow glowing stuff what comes out of her eyes behaves more like a gas than a light, it can be stored, and if compressed enough(like from wearing that mask too long, approx. more than 16 hours), it tends to make glow like a floodlight.......fortunately, when confronted by any bigger space than that, it simply vanish(not disperse) without a trace....
Oh, and that gun isn't supposed to glow black like that.....I just thought a white gun would look better on white background this way:smalltongue:

Thanks anyway:smallsmile:

I'd favour what looks good over realism in this case (though given that the eyes difference in size is caused by perspective and thus should actually count in this case too) but that's just my opinion, my lousy talentless opinion.

No problem :smallsmile: Or what I'm supposed to say when being thanked, I'm not actually sure as it is probably different than the Danish "That was so little"

-skimmer-
2009-10-22, 03:43 PM
I'd favour what looks good over realism in this case (though given that the eyes difference in size is caused by perspective and thus should actually count in this case too) but that's just my opinion, my lousy talentless opinion.

Actually, the eyes are made of different size, due to the glow it's just hard to spot:smallcool:

MethosH
2009-10-22, 03:54 PM
Well, I have an idea. I definately need to expand on it, but I have the mysterious background and the motive for why it could be after the thing. I'll put all information in a spoiler.

This creature is a vicious looking being. Fangs, claws, horns, tail, it has it all. However, this creature's skin, while tough and resislient, is very sensitive to light of any kind. Being in broad daylight is to us being submersed in magma. Torch light or any other dim kind of light will still burn it quite quickly, but it can tolerate it for a short while.

No one really knows what this creature is or how it came to existance. Not even it knows if there are others like it. But it does have a massive instinct for survival, so it stays in absolute darkness, under the earth in a small cavern. It has glowing red eyes which it uses to see in the darkness that constantly surrounds it.

It has been on the surface a few times however, on cloudy nights that develop a pitch blackness. It has developed a longing to be able to leave it's lair for good and be able to share the sunlight with all surface dwelling creatures.

This is the story I envisioned for it to become part of the plot.
The story I envisioned is that a cloudy night appears where the bouncing being is still bouncing around in a mountain. After bounching off of everything else, the creature manages to grab and hold the sphere on the first attempt. It then brings it back to it's lair, with the being inside asking for help. Eventually, the magic being inside the sphere lights up the cave, but this light has no affect on the creature's skin at all. The creature then will decide that it wants to figure out if the magic being will allow it to resist the light on the suface and will experiment to try to get his wish to become a reality. He will fight to the death to protect the being until he succeeds.

I personaly have nothing against this idea, but this race sounds more like a NPC race than a PC race... And this means we would all be able to kind of mess with this character and this may upset you.

But it isn't a bad idea. Having The Creature being catch by another creature sounds reasonable at this point. But I'm going to wait for more ideas on this to came up before I make my mind.

Mad Mask
2009-10-22, 04:11 PM
What does "PC" and "NPC" mean in a world where there is no GM/AI?

Keris
2009-10-22, 04:19 PM
What does "PC" and "NPC" mean in a world where there is no GM/AI?

PC Race: A race which would make for good, workable, characters.
NPC Race: A race which would probably not make for good characters, so should be used only for background characters/mooks/villians.

PC: A character for whom the majority of decisions are made by a single ABRer.
NPC: A character whom anyone can use and make decisions for.

MethosH
2009-10-22, 04:33 PM
Or you could call them "Personal Character" and "Non-Personal Character" :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-22, 04:54 PM
@Methos: He also forgot the Thirions, while I can't recall those created by CrimsonAngel Weasel certainly is just doing it for the money and because he has nothing better to do.

They want revenge.

Mwuahahahahahaha...

Traker
2009-10-22, 05:02 PM
Or you could call them "Personal Character" and "Non-Personal Character" :smallbiggrin:

"Player Character" and "Non player character" where how I learned it but if thats just me I'm fine.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-22, 05:03 PM
We're looking for alternatives to that, Traker.

Falgorn
2009-10-22, 05:14 PM
Today is one of those days where I want to go to sleep and just...not wake up. Ever.

Someone, inspire me. Please.:smallsigh:

X2
2009-10-22, 05:38 PM
Who would be willing to do an avatar for lil' ol me?

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 05:41 PM
Gremlin, could you stop dropping completely un-called for attacks to me in your posts? It's not subtle, and I don't apprieciate you doing it, especially when you know it was not just me who took issue in any of those instances by far.

Seriously, stop pretending I'm some complete dictator, it's irritating even if you don't intend it. For instance, the Goldcloak thing you brought up was never the case, a fact which I proved, and the Ogre thing was due to you keeping a lot of information from us - an issue which we worked out, I might add, so why don't you drop it and move on? It's obvious that you are trying to spark further arguments, (which is flame-baiting) and I suggest you stop.

Move on.

Uh...what attacks?
...look, a distraction!
Seriously, sorry. I didn't mean to warmonger, it was just me griping. I won't stop doing it though, because...ummmm...
I'M THE FREAKIN' GREMLIN! I CAN ARGUE ALL I LIKE! :smallfurious::smalltongue:
Also: Cool new race! Perhaps it has no way of communicating with others, besides scribbling pictures in the dirt.
Also, I have an idea for a new Unclaimed Character--as I think we should call them--race. An underground creature, probably just an animal. Because I think the main reason we don't have any humans living underground on Earth is the lackage of a real ecosystem. I think we need way more underground fauna. None of it miraculous, just plain animals. I think this would be very fun to do, and give those who want to make races something else to do.
Thoughts?

V'icternus
2009-10-22, 05:46 PM
Underground fauna seems alright by me.

Big eyed predators of the darkness... yeah.

Keris
2009-10-22, 05:47 PM
I think 8 (!) sentient species is sufficient for any setting, particularly when the vast majority are jammed onto a single island.

X2
2009-10-22, 05:48 PM
Maybe someone should list them hee so people who don't have access to the wiki can follow the conversation

Damn you school filter!

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 05:49 PM
I think 8 (!) sentient species is sufficient for any setting, particularly when the vast majority are jammed onto a single island.

Are you talking to me or Raptor?
If me, then I don't intend any sentient species anyways.

Keris
2009-10-22, 05:58 PM
Are you talking to me or Raptor?
If me, then I don't intend any sentient species anyways.

You, I took "Character race" to imply sentient. But I'm all for diverse flora and fauna. We already have races with 2 pairs of grasping limbs, that should probably be reflected.

Maybe someone should list them hee so people who don't have access to the wiki can follow the conversation
Humans, Kaa, Kobolds, Kalps, Ogres and Trolls, Abura-Bo, Karrish and Thirions.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:02 PM
You, I took "Character race" to imply sentient. But I'm all for diverse flora and fauna. We already have races with 2 pairs of grasping limbs, that should probably be reflected.

Humans, Kaa, Kobolds, Kalps, Ogres and Trolls, Abura-Bo, Karrish and Thirions.
Somebody who isn't me should probably explain them, too.
Also, I agree, we need things that the other races evolved from. I want to do this scientifically. Or, at least, logically.
The problem is, 6 limbs are supposed to be impossible on invertebrates. :smallconfused:

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:05 PM
Somebody who isn't me should probably explain them, too.
Also, I agree, we need things that the other races evolved from. I want to do this scientifically. Or, at least, logically.
The problem is, 6 limbs are supposed to be impossible on invertebrates. :smallconfused:

And why does that come up. None of the six-limbed races are invertebrates.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:08 PM
And why does that come up. None of the six-limbed races are invertebrates.

Grr, make fun of my typos, will you...bad form. :smallyuk:

X2
2009-10-22, 06:10 PM
Someone should dramatically enact this conversation on film.

Keris
2009-10-22, 06:10 PM

Source, please? (This interests me.) Also, assuming you meant vertebrates, otherwise, y'know, ants and stuff.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:11 PM
Source, please? (This interests me.) Also, assuming you meant vertebrates, otherwise, y'know, ants and stuff.

Sorry, no sources, only memory. But I'm pretty sure of it.

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:17 PM
Grr, make fun of my typos, will you...bad form. :smallyuk:
I wasn't making fun of a typo, I was honestly wondering why you thought we had six-limbed invertebrates.
Upon hearing that was a typo, I'm going to assume you meant that six limbed Vertebrates are impossible, but I've never heard anything like that before, so we can probably get away with it.

BTW, I actually did put some thought into why the Karrish are like they are. The environment they evolved in was Saltwater Marsh. Their Height let's them easily wade through the water, their four limbs make it easier for them to do things like climb trees, grab fish, and swim. Their Eyes are very good for peering through fog or into turbid waters. They can also drink Salt Water.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:20 PM
I wasn't making fun of a typo, I was honestly wondering why you thought we had six-limbed invertebrates.
Upon hearing that was a typo, I'm going to assume you meant that six limbed Vertebrates are impossible, but I've never heard anything like that before, so we can probably get away with it.

BTW, I actually did put some thought into why the Karrish are like they are. The environment they evolved in was Saltwater Marsh. Their Height let's them easily wade through the water, their four limbs make it easier for them to do things like climb trees, grab fish, and swim. Their Eyes are very good for peering through fog or into turbid waters. They can also drink Salt Water.

So maybe they evolved from some sort of swamp monkey thing.
But I just got a source! My older brother just confirmed it! :smallamused:

X2
2009-10-22, 06:21 PM
Mind if I make a Hoo-man character called Owt Evytrax?

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:23 PM
So maybe they evolved from some sort of swamp monkey thing.
But I just got a source! My older brother just confirmed it! :smallamused:
Because Older Brothers count as a scientific source.

And yes, a Swamp Monkey thing would be an applicable ancestor. It gradually moved from living in the trees to wading through the swamp.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:25 PM
Because Older Brothers count as a scientific source.

And yes, a Swamp Monkey thing would be an applicable ancestor. It gradually moved from living in the trees to wading through the swamp.

So, there's one species: The Swamp Monkey Thing! :smallbiggrin:
And actually, I would qualify my older brother as a reliable source. He's pretty smart. I'll ask my dad, though. If he says yes, too, then it's either an urban myth, or true.

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:28 PM
So, there's one species: The Swamp Monkey Thing! :smallbiggrin:
And actually, I would qualify my older brother as a reliable source. He's pretty smart. I'll ask my dad, though. If he says yes, too, then it's either an urban myth, or true.
Except that the island of Kar has been cut off for 200 years, so while we could probably spend alot of time working out the flora and fauna of Kar, none of it will show up.

X2
2009-10-22, 06:29 PM
Mind if I make a Hoo-man character called Owt Evytrax?

Is this at all possible? Am I being ignored? What the heck?

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:29 PM
Except that the island of Kar has been cut off for 200 years, so while we could probably spend alot of time working out the flora and fauna of Kar, none of it will show up.

Unless there are similar species on other countries! Or perhaps the SMT is invasive!
We have another issue: Why would 4 arms be necessary? 2 arms are good enough for our monkeys on Terra. :smallconfused:
Hey, do you guys hear something? :smallconfused:

Khaeta
2009-10-22, 06:32 PM

Well, nothing comes to mind, that's a pretty good indication...

Is this at all possible? Am I being ignored? What the heck?

*Ignores Xart*

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:33 PM
Hey, what's that sound? Sorta whiny and squeakish?

Khaeta
2009-10-22, 06:36 PM
Hey, what's that sound? Sorta whiny and squeakish?

*holds up bag of tricks*
This?
*pulls out a chipmunk*
Squeak squeaker squeak squeakum?

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:37 PM
Unless there are similar species on other countries! Or perhaps the SMT is invasive!
Yes! When Karrish ships travelled the world, they brought Swamp Monkey Things, which escaped into the wild! Now free from their natural predators (Snappy Fish Things, and Hawk Things, Karrish names don't translate well into english) the Swamp Monkey Things thrived in their new environments. In many places they are seen as either Pets or Pests. They enjoy eating Fish, Nuts, and Berries.

4 arms are necessary because many trees on Kar didn't have branches strong enough to support half the weight of a Swamp Monkey Thing, but they could support one-quarter of the weight. And just because earth primates have 2 arms, dosn't mean they couldn't have 4.

Also, better for swimming away from Snappy Fish Things.

X2
2009-10-22, 06:38 PM
I don't mind telling you I'm a little frustrated

I'm asking you a simple polite question and all I get is indifference and people ignoring me... then mocking me!

Why? What did I do wrong? Why can't I get a straight answer?

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:39 PM

I'm asking you a simple polite question and all I get is indifference and people ignoring me... then mocking me!

Because Fish don't have feathers.

X2
2009-10-22, 06:41 PM

What does that mean!? Why is everyone ignoring me/answering me with irrelavant stupid things!?

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-22, 06:41 PM

You can probably have your character. I don't see why not, anyway.

X2
2009-10-22, 06:43 PM
You can probably have your character. I don't see why not, anyway.

Thankyou...

Now how does magic work in CoNland?

Khaeta
2009-10-22, 06:44 PM
Thankyou...

Depends on:
a. Race
b. The type of magic you want
c. How good you are at figuring out reasonable explanations as to why bizarre and ridiculous things are possible. Mad wizards are quite useful for this last one.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:45 PM

Except for the Feather Fish Things.

Keris
2009-10-22, 06:45 PM

It would be highly impractical for an entire ecosystem to evolve on a tiny island not more than a few miles away from a far larger island. Animals have a habit of moving around, particularly if you give them multiple limbs.
There should be both hexapods and tetrapods throughout Novaris.

SinisterPenguin
2009-10-22, 06:46 PM
Thankyou...

I don't really feel like explaining, so I'd suggest you just look on the wiki (http://encyclopedia-novaris.wikispaces.com/Magic+and+the+Goldcloaks).

Or just wait until someone else comes along and explains it. *Shrug*

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:49 PM
Thankyou...

2 types: racial and Spirit

Racial Magic is very limited, there are 4 types
Karrish: Scribe Magic, which lets them do things involving writing.
Kobolds: Metal Magic, lets them control metal.
Thirions: Animal Magic.
Trolls: Healing Magic.

Spirit Magic happens when a mage undergoes the "Ritual of the Chain", bonding with a Spirit. The process requires the mage to give up something mental or physical. Spirit Mages can pull off most of your standard fantasy magic, but it's more dangerous.

Feathered Fish Things are a delicacy, often served with delicious mushrooms imported from the Kobolds. Traditional Karrish cuisine calls for the feathers to be removed as late as possible, so they keep their distinctive coloration, and placed around the plate as a decoration.

And Now the Keris mentions it, Multi-limbed animal species may be fairly common on Novaris.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 06:53 PM
2 types: racial and Spirit

Racial Magic is very limited, there are 4 types
Karrish: Scribe Magic, which lets them do things involving writing.
Kobolds: Metal Magic, lets them control metal.
Thirions: Animal Magic.
Trolls: Healing Magic.

Spirit Magic happens when a mage undergoes the "Ritual of the Chain", bonding with a Spirit. The process requires the mage to give up something mental or physical. Spirit Mages can pull off most of your standard fantasy magic, but it's more dangerous.

Feathered Fish Things are a delicacy, often served with delicious mushrooms imported from the Kobolds. Traditional Karrish cuisine calls for the feathers to be removed as late as possible, so they keep their distinctive coloration, and placed around the plate as a decoration.

And Now the Keris mentions it, Multi-limbed animal species may be fairly common on Novaris.

Feathered Fish Things are also extremely harmfully invasive, and threaten normal fish. In addition to the Swamp Monkey Things, of course.
But why did Feathered Fish Things evolve?

BRC
2009-10-22, 06:55 PM
Feathered Fish Things are also extremely harmfully invasive, and threaten normal fish. In addition to the Swamp Monkey Things, of course.
But why did Feathered Fish Things evolve?
The feathers are vestigial. They were at one point waterfowl.

Edit: Also, a point on the Karrish language. It's rather heavy on adjectives as opposed to nouns, it's words also tend to be a good deal shorter than common human words. So when you translate them from Karrish to Common, you get things like "Feathered Fish Thing (Featherfish in the Common tounge), the Karrish word for Feathered Fish Thing (Caloish if you must know) dosn't sound awkward at all to them.

Also, Karrish technically translates to "Thinking Thing". Humans are LorKarrish (Other thinking thing), Kobolds are Vakarrish (Short thinking thing), Ogres are Dalkarrish (Big thinking thing), and Aruba-Bo are Inakarrish (Flaming thinking Thing)

Edit 2: The name of their island, Kar, is a shortened version of it's full name. Kardorgen (Thinking home place). Ancient Karrish believed their island was sentient. They didn't think this about all land, just their own island. It got shortened to Kar, and the Karrish didn't mind their island being identified by the word "Thought" (or intelligence, or wisdom, or creativity.)

Falgorn
2009-10-22, 07:04 PM
I say we throw some snarks in here. Maybe a jabberwock or two.

Keris
2009-10-22, 07:09 PM
I say we throw some snarks in here.

But beware of the day,
If your Snark be a Boojum!
For you will softly and suddenly vanish away,
And never be met with again!

Maybe a jabberwock or two.
Only when we start enchanting Vorpal Swords.

Also, a point on the Karrish language. It's rather heavy on adjectives as opposed to nouns, it's words also tend to be a good deal shorter than common human words.
Are you actually making a conlang for this? :smallconfused:

V'icternus
2009-10-22, 07:10 PM
Ooh, if we're suggesting random things, can we have Yowies and Bunyips? :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-10-22, 07:23 PM
The Jabberwock is a dangerous, six limbed beast that lives in deep forests. It's highly territorial, and has very nasty claws. Like a Boar Spear, a Vorpal Sword is a weapon specially designed to hunt Jabberwocks.
You see, the Jabberwock is protected by thick mats of tangled, woven hair, kind of like Horn, though not nearly as hard. A Vorpal Sword is specially crafted and shaped, often by Kobolds, to be able to cut through this hair. Though magical Vorpal Swords do exist, most are merely very well made. Kobolds rarely have to deal with Jabberwocks, and non-kobold smiths that can craft a proper one are few and far between, so the swords themselves are rare. A Vorpal Sword is often seen as a sign of a Hero as opposed to a Soldier, since against most targets a Vorpal Sword isn't much more effective than a normal longsword, only a hero who seeks out dangerous beasts like the Jabberwock would invest in one.

No, I'm not designing the Karrish language, just pondering it.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-22, 07:25 PM
You better not be making a language we all have to learn! :smallamused:

'<Hello, friend.>'

'What?'

Keris
2009-10-22, 07:27 PM
The Jabberwock is a dangerous, six limbed beast that lives in deep forests. [...] You see, the Jabberwock is protected by thick mats of tangled, woven hair, kind of like Horn, though not nearly as hard.

Psh. Jabberwocks are scaled. But they do have six limbs.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/TheJabberwocky.jpg/399px-TheJabberwocky.jpg

BRC
2009-10-22, 07:28 PM
You better not be making a language we all have to learn! :smallamused:

'<Hello, friend.>'

'What?'

Nope, don't worry.

Besides, the Karrish have always been a merchant-oriented race (Just because of their good bookeeping skills, and their position on an island with relatively few natural resources. In such a situation, ones options are Invade or Trade, and trading fit their skill set better), so most Karrish were at least Bilingual before the Wall went up. Nowadays, Karrish is rarely spoken, and most of the Karrish themselves have human names.
So unless you are trying to impress people, or be very respectful to an old-school Karrish, there is no reason to know how to speak the Karrish language.

Edit: I like Overthinking things.

Falgorn
2009-10-22, 07:31 PM
Wait, you all are joking about the Jabberwock and Snark things, right?
If not...
Something I said is being considered?

kpenguin
2009-10-22, 07:32 PM
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

BRC
2009-10-22, 07:32 PM
Wait, you all are joking about the Jabberwock and Snark things, right?
If not...
Something I said is being considered?
Well why not. We've got Swamp Monkey Things, why not Jabberwocks.

Snarks are delicious, but fattening rodents BTW>

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 07:33 PM
Seriouslyu. This is awesome.

The feathers are vestigial. They were at one point waterfowl.

Hang on. Fish didn't evolve from waterfowl, it's the other way around!
Unless...they aren't true fish!

BRC
2009-10-22, 07:35 PM
Seriouslyu. This is awesome.

Hang on. Fish didn't evolve from waterfowl, it's the other way around!
Unless...they aren't true fish!
On Earth they didn't, on Novaris they might have.

Started as Fish, then they became Reptiles, then Birds, then Waterfowl who spent so much time swimming they lost the ability to fly, like penguins, and eventually turned back into fish. They've had quite some time to evolve you know.

Or maybe they're actually more similar to birds then anything, like a cross between a penguin and a dolphin. They are fish shaped, but with a beak and feathers. They can hold their breath for some time.

Falgorn
2009-10-22, 07:36 PM

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

I love you, Lewis Carroll. I love you so hard.

Well, we can't have snarks. Because, as the great author said, they are unimaginable. And are supposed to stay that way.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 07:41 PM
On Earth they didn't, on Novaris they might have.

Started as Fish, then they became Reptiles, then Birds, then Waterfowl who spent so much time swimming they lost the ability to fly, like penguins, and eventually turned back into fish. They've had quite some time to evolve you know.

Or maybe they're actually more similar to birds then anything, like a cross between a penguin and a dolphin. They are fish shaped, but with a beak and feathers. They can hold their breath for some time.

I think I prefer the last idea. It is my opinion that creatures only evolve with necessity. If they would just evolve back, why not stay that way?

Keris
2009-10-22, 07:47 PM
<Jabberwocky>

It was around 4 o'clock in the afternoon and the slimy and active toves,
Spun like gyroscopes and dug holes like gimlets in the grass plot around a sundial,
The borogroves were flimsy and miserable,
And the lost raths cried out.

"Beware of the Jabberwock, my son!
It'll bite you with it's jaw, it'll catch you with it's claws!
Beware of the Jubjub bird, and beware of
The fuming and furious Bandersnatch!"

He picked up his Vorpal Sword,
And sought his fearsome foe for a long time.
So he rested by the Tumtum tree,
And stood and thought for a while.

And while he stood and thought annoyed thoughts,
The Jabberwock, with eyes that seemed to be on fire,
Came wandering though the dense forest,
And burbled while approaching!

He swung his sword back and forth!
The blade made slicing sounds!
He killed the Jabberwock, and its head,
As he triumphantly galloped back.

"And have you slain the Jabberwock?
Come here and be hugged, my smiling son!
Oh fabulous and joyous day!"
He was so pleased he chuckled.

It was around 4 o'clock in the afternoon and the lithe and active toves,
Spun like gyroscopes and dug holes like gimlets in the grass plot around a sundial,
The borogroves were flimsy and miserable,
And the lost raths cried out.

[hr]
Also, I here reserve the right to design Novaris's versions of the Bandersnatch and Jubjub bird, should they have them.

Mad Mask
2009-10-22, 07:51 PM
I think I prefer the last idea. It is my opinion that creatures only evolve with necessity. If they would just evolve back, why not stay that way?

Um... (http://www.dolphinsc.com/images/Dolphin.jpg)

The "feathery fish things" wouldn't be truly fish, more like the bird version of a cetacean.

The Gremlin
2009-10-22, 07:58 PM
Um... (http://www.dolphinsc.com/images/Dolphin.jpg)

The "feathery fish things" wouldn't be truly fish, more like the bird version of a cetacean.

I said I LIKED the last idea. :smallconfused:
Also, nice avvy.

Mad Mask
2009-10-22, 08:16 PM
I said I LIKED the last idea. :smallconfused:
Also, nice avvy.

Sorry, I misunderstood. :smallredface:

Thanks for the compliment, anyway. :smallsmile:

Tiffanie Lirle
2009-10-22, 08:21 PM
Break dancing Lying (http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1256242226)

Why? Don't ask stupid questions. Because I was bored, obviously. :smalltongue:
Reposting this here, since not everyone uses the IRC. <.<

kpenguin
2009-10-22, 10:41 PM
You know, I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have contacted you to help make the secret project instead of Mask. You seem to do it faster and have more free time on your hands.

X2
2009-10-22, 10:47 PM
I wish I could close my eyes and school would be over!

It didn't work...:smallfrown:

So what's going on this side?

Keris
2009-10-22, 10:54 PM
It's the afternoon (for you), very early morning for Europe, and late evening/late night across most of the US. Nothing is going on.

X2
2009-10-22, 10:54 PM
Somewhere, it's time for tea.

Keris
2009-10-22, 11:01 PM
New Zealand would be a good bet for that, although it would be a rather early tea, depending on when you take your tea. Hawaii might be more sensible. Alaska would be a good bet for supper.

X2
2009-10-22, 11:16 PM
Is Keris being too literal? Is he a know-it-all?

Why yes... yes he is.

Keris
2009-10-22, 11:18 PM
I have to do something to amuse myself at 5AM. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2009-10-22, 11:19 PM
Perhaps you should find some other Secret British people to hang out with. Surely you could be doing things other than conversing on an internet forum?

X2
2009-10-22, 11:25 PM
No, not really.

kpenguin
2009-10-23, 12:50 AM
Hey, so is movie night still on?

Silverraptor
2009-10-23, 12:58 AM
So, what does this mean about my character idea. I don't mind if he becomes an NPC or something. I'd just like to contribute somehow.

V'icternus
2009-10-23, 03:36 AM
Well, we weren't really looking for more races, but I personally like the idea, and would be fine if it were introduced. And, if it can't be introduced in this plotline, I think it could do well existing on another landmass in Novaris.

Lyinginbedmon
2009-10-23, 05:47 AM
Break dancing Lying (http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1256242226)

Why? Don't ask stupid questions. Because I was bored, obviously. :smalltongue:
Reposting this here, since not everyone uses the IRC. <.<

Whoo! Go Lying! :smallbiggrin:

Shake it like it's 1025! :smalltongue:

X2
2009-10-23, 05:52 AM
That breakdancing thing is kinda cool. :smallsmile:

Now where is everyone, I'm alone at that IRC... why don't they make tumbleweed emotes?

Mina Kobold
2009-10-23, 07:01 AM
Could I possibly be allowed to design one or possibly even two small species of animals? *puppy eyes*

This has had me wondering, is thirions with animal forms of these new animals possible? Or do they not exist on the continent of their origin?

V'icternus
2009-10-23, 07:12 AM
I think as long as they're not too far-out, Thirions should be able to be them...

The Gremlin
2009-10-23, 08:52 AM
Could I possibly be allowed to design one or possibly even two small species of animals? *puppy eyes*

This has had me wondering, is thirions with animal forms of these new animals possible? Or do they not exist on the continent of their origin?

Go ahead, make as many animals as you like, so long as it's realistic!

Mina Kobold
2009-10-23, 09:18 AM
Go ahead, make as many animals as you like, so long as it's realistic!

Maybe tomorrow, I got plenty ideas but that work poorly with Friday being the day of Gym class.

Tiffanie Lirle
2009-10-23, 02:57 PM
Hey, so is movie night still on?
As soon as I can figure out a time that works. That's the only thing in the way right now. It's kind of annoying to figure out, seeing as everyone apparently has to live somewhere else. And then ignoring timezones there's still the problem of people's schedules to take into account and etc etc. :smallsigh:

Mina Kobold
2009-10-23, 03:24 PM
As soon as I can figure out a time that works. That's the only thing in the way right now. It's kind of annoying to figure out, seeing as everyone apparently has to live somewhere else. And then ignoring timezones there's still the problem of people's schedules to take into account and etc etc. :smallsigh:

I suggest in the weekend, most people have less to do in the weekend.

Or we could arrange two, one for one half of us who can at that time and another for those with weird schedules or too different timezones.

Just throwing out ideas. :smallsmile:

The Gremlin
2009-10-23, 03:25 PM
I suggest in the weekend, most people have less to do in the weekend.

Or we could arrange two, one for one half of us who can at that time and another for those with weird schedules or too different timezones.

Just throwing out ideas. :smallsmile:

Tuesday, 6:30 PST is best for me. There is no other weekday I can manage.

Falgorn
2009-10-23, 06:02 PM
I have to do something to amuse myself at 5AM. :smalltongue:

Why not you try sleeping? It works for most of us.
>.>

Darklord Bright
2009-10-23, 07:32 PM
>.>

'cept those of us who have to be awake at 5 AM, but I expect that's unsurprisingly few. :smalltongue:

Keris
2009-10-23, 09:52 PM
>.>
I have a really messed up sleep schedule. I'm generally asleep each day from around 5 to 11PM. Unless I have a late night (read: 4 o'clock lectures, or D&D night), or a lie in (like today, when I got up at 3AM. Ah, weekends).

X2
2009-10-23, 10:41 PM
Slowest ABR day ever...!

Lyinginbedmon
2009-10-23, 10:56 PM
The Internet in general has been fairly slow for me today.

And I don't mean page load times.

MethosH
2009-10-23, 11:28 PM
Slowest ABR day ever...!

ABR have slow days so I can catch up >_>
Its the universe way of saying "I'm sorry for making real life a bitch lately."

Mina Kobold
2009-10-24, 02:25 AM
Tuesday, 6:30 PST is best for me. There is no other weekday I can manage.

And the only weekday I have a werewolf session and thus less free time.

@Keris: While I'm no expert I still find it strange you can sleep that long without being late for school or work, care to elaborate? It sound interesting to stay up for the entire night. :smallbiggrin:

V'icternus
2009-10-24, 02:32 AM
The secret is to be tough enough to tell your urge to sleep to shut up, sit down, and stop blocking the computer.

That's what I do.

X2
2009-10-24, 02:35 AM
He lies, he thinks about Nightmare on Elm Street 1 to stop sleeping.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-24, 02:37 AM
The secret is to be tough enough to tell your urge to sleep to shut up, sit down, and stop blocking the computer.

That's what I do.

I could do that, but my parents won't allow me to stay up that long and thus I want to know where they require that so I have an excuse... I could just wait some years till I move away from home, but that would just be silly :smalltongue:

Keris
2009-10-24, 02:39 AM
@Keris: While I'm no expert I still find it strange you can sleep that long without being late for school or work, care to elaborate? It sound interesting to stay up for the entire night. :smallbiggrin:

As the internet is generally far more active late at night, usually because America gets online, I often have to fight the desire to stay up later and continue browsing, chatting or whatever. And partially because of this, I find it very difficult to get up at a reasonable time in the morning. So, I have recently been experimenting with adjusting my sleep cycle so that I can stay up throughout the night, yet still get a decent amount of sleep.
Getting up in the evening means that I spend my "mornings" (actual night) online, then go to University in the "afternoon" (actual mornings), before getting home and sleeping through the actual afternoon/early evenings.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-24, 03:25 AM
As the internet is generally far more active late at night, usually because America gets online, I often have to fight the desire to stay up later and continue browsing, chatting or whatever. And partially because of this, I find it very difficult to get up at a reasonable time in the morning. So, I have recently been experimenting with adjusting my sleep cycle so that I can stay up throughout the night, yet still get a decent amount of sleep.
Getting up in the evening means that I spend my "mornings" (actual night) online, then go to University in the "afternoon" (actual mornings), before getting home and sleeping through the actual afternoon/early evenings.

Weird, when it's late over here the thread (it's one of the few I actually post in at all) seem to slow down, a lot... By the way aren't you supposed to sleep eight hours a day?

Keris
2009-10-24, 03:37 AM
By the way aren't you supposed to sleep eight hours a day?
Not always. If you're fairly young, then yes, 8 hours sleep is advised, but you need less sleep as you get older. Studies have shown that adults who sleep 8 hours a night or longer have a higher mortality rate than those who have 6 or 7 hours sleep a night.

Mina Kobold
2009-10-24, 03:50 AM
Not always. If you're fairly young, then yes, 8 hours sleep is advised, but you need less sleep as you get older. Studies have shown that adults who sleep 8 hours a night or longer have a higher mortality rate than those who have 6 or 7 hours sleep a night.

And you are how old?

Besides, I have no idea about how one acquires immortality and without it I really don't think the length of my miserable life will really matter especiallyb not what little difference a few years will do...
But maybe I'm just cynical and should stop reading depressing comics :smalltongue:

Keris
2009-10-24, 03:55 AM
And you are how old?
A week away from 19. So not quite an adult by some measures, but officially an adult by others.

Besides, I have no idea about how one acquires immortality and without it I really don't think the length of my miserable life will really matter especiallyb not what little difference a few years will do...
But wouldn't it suck if the secret to immortality was discovered the year after you died? :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2009-10-24, 04:07 AM
A week away from 19. So not quite an"adult by some measures, but officially an adult by others.

But wouldn't it suck if the secret to immortality was discovered the year after you died? :smalltongue:

Well considering lack of sleep probably isn't very healthy for brain development I'd wait till I was 23 with sleeping less if I was you.

Point taken, I'll wait and hope for immortality, at least for a little while, and then stay up all night and end up going crazy speculating about whether or not paradise exist.

I can't wait :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Darklord Bright
2009-10-24, 04:08 AM
I'll tell you the secret of immortality!

Just swear undying loyalty to me first. I promise I'll tell you everything I know!

Mina Kobold
2009-10-24, 04:10 AM
I'll tell you the secret of immortality!

Just swear undying loyalty to me first. I promise I'll tell you everything I know!

Okay.

Only if you really know the secret to immortality of course :smallamused: