PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!One-Shot game advice[3.5]

Saintjebus
2009-10-04, 01:19 PM
Ok, I would like some advice from the playground. I am going to be running a one-shot 3.5 game in the near future. It's going to be a high level game(lvl15), and I would like some assistance in some basic houserules and what to ban.

Races: I am going to allow up to +3 LA. I'd like to know if there are any problem races or templates that I should look out for.

Classes: I don't know enough of the classes to know what to ban, other that Initiate of the Seven Veils, Planar shepherd, and that other one that cheeses metamagic. Are there any others that I should look out for?

Miscellaneous: I'm going to ban Celerity, and Candles of Invocation. What other Items, spells, etc. should I watch out for?

This will be a high-level game, as I said, and I'm not interested in gimping players, however, I don't want someone to come in and break the game. That's just not fun. Thanks for your help!

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-04, 01:49 PM
Arcane Spellsurge, maybe? Wings of Cover? Anima Mage? Honestly, I think "don't break the game" as an emphasized guiding rule, accompanied by the willingness (although not eagerness) to ban items mid-campaign, works enough. You won't have to use that power if your players are reasonable (and you're honest about not wanting to gimp them). Pre-emptive banning might get a false positive, which can be troublesome.

Eloel
2009-10-04, 01:53 PM
Going with what you seem to be wanting - ban Nightsticks (or DMM), or at least don't allow it to stack with itself. It's the basis of a huge chain of cheese for Clerics.

Paulus
2009-10-04, 02:32 PM
Ok, I would like some advice from the playground. I am going to be running a one-shot 3.5 game in the near future. It's going to be a high level game(lvl15), and I would like some assistance in some basic houserules and what to ban.

Races: I am going to allow up to +3 LA. I'd like to know if there are any problem races or templates that I should look out for.

Classes: I don't know enough of the classes to know what to ban, other that Initiate of the Seven Veils, Planar shepherd, and that other one that cheeses metamagic. Are there any others that I should look out for?

Miscellaneous: I'm going to ban Celerity, and Candles of Invocation. What other Items, spells, etc. should I watch out for?

This will be a high-level game, as I said, and I'm not interested in gimping players, however, I don't want someone to come in and break the game. That's just not fun. Thanks for your help!

Well scratch out Wizards.

...and clerics
...Druids
...Tome of Battle
...Unearthed Arcana.
should cover it. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Okay okay, to be more helpful. What kind of character do your players usual go for? Do you know? What do they usually play? Are they optimizers, do you forsee them trying to break the game? What kind of game do you have in mind? levels? Books allowed?

Saintjebus
2009-10-04, 03:20 PM
This is a one-shot for a gaming convention, so I have no idea of the players I'll have. I'll pretty much allow all books, as long as the player can produce it and show me.

It's going to be level 15.

I've never run a game of this high of a level before, so I don't know any of the pitfalls.

Also, the one I couldn't remember was Incantrix. lol

Boci
2009-10-04, 03:28 PM
As others had said, very few things are inheritantly broken. Another problem is the power level the PCs want to play. If half want a low power one and the other half a high end one, the you'll be having trouble no matter what is allowed. Celerity can fine in a party, as long as the caster is not immune/resistent to daze, and the other PCs are decently optomized.

Paulus
2009-10-04, 06:28 PM
This is a one-shot for a gaming convention, so I have no idea of the players I'll have. I'll pretty much allow all books, as long as the player can produce it and show me.

It's going to be level 15.

I've never run a game of this high of a level before, so I don't know any of the pitfalls.

Also, the one I couldn't remember was Incantrix. lol

Well they should know very well what is broken and what is not, so all you need do is state at the beginning "No game breaking stuff allowed" then when they say "Well is this game breaking?" have them explain what it is and them make your decision eh? At least that's what I'd do. Getting everyone in the party to collaborate and help you out would also be a good idea.

Just be prepared to make new characters if someone tries to bring something game breaking to form a new character.