PDA

View Full Version : Wiat a minute, why didn't Roy just take his sword from the Cast of Character page?

paladinofshojo
2009-10-04, 02:19 PM
It would have saved A LOT of time......................................

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-04, 02:25 PM
1. Rule of plot.

2. Haley's the rogue.

theinsulabot
2009-10-04, 02:27 PM
cause then he wouldn't have a kick ass star metal sword with undead bane on it?

Silverraptor
For what purpose would it save time?:smallconfused:

paladinofshojo
2. Haley's the rogue.

Then why didn't he just have Haley get it for him?

paladinofshojo
2009-10-04, 02:28 PM
cause then he wouldn't have a kick ass star metal sword with undead bane on it?

Like you knew he would have gotten a better sword when you were reading that part.........:smallamused:

Kish
2009-10-04, 02:28 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq7

theinsulabot
2009-10-04, 02:35 PM
Like you knew he would have gotten a better sword when you were reading that part.........:smallamused:

but taking a short cut also means you lose the chance for gain. just as v might of procured an endless supply of diamonds for resurrection, and a great deal of wealth that might of aided the oots down the line, when they skipped ahead and stole the gem, they also lost any chance of a sub reward when they didn't need to seek out another source of diamonds. additionally, Haley, as a thief had to steal the diamond, roy would never of allowed another to go get the sword in his place, so he would of had to confront and kill the him from the cast page to take his sword. there is enough paradox there to give the oracle a splitting headache

Porthos
2009-10-04, 03:44 PM

You know, at the risk of actually taking this thread seriously, I think there is a wee bit of a difference between overcoming a joke obstacle that was introduced solely so there could be a joke solution and a plot complication that is supposed to affect the characters for a long time. :smallwink:

In other words, you shouldn't always take the comic so seriously. :smalltongue:

===

Another way to put this is this: Plotwise, Durkon didn't need to get his diamonds swiped. Rich didn't intend it to be The Next Big Thing. Rich didn't even intend it to be The Next Minor Diverson. The only reason it was done was to set up a Fourth Wall Breaking Joke that was made in the same comic.

I mean, this strip is still humorous from time to time you know. :smallbiggrin:

But it also made a bit of a self-mocking joke about how Rich loves to introduce complications that slows down the Main Plot. So instead of spending strip after strip dealing with this "problem", Rich short-circuited it by appealing to the Rule of Funny. And managed to tweak V that much more in the bargin. So it did actually serve the plot to a small degree. But, lets face it, it was mostly done for "the funny".

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 04:20 PM
You could make an argument to say breaking the fourth wall could be considered Unlawful.

reignofevil
2009-10-04, 06:07 PM
Because, Haley HAD the diamond, nothing happened to it. It just was never shown.
Roy, on the other hand, had the sword with him the whole time, then it got broke.
If he took his sword from the past, he no longer has it, so he cant fight zykon, so zykon can't break the sword, so roy has two swords in the future and ugh. I quit.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 06:09 PM
:elan: Oooh, a temporal paradox! Nice work!

Herald Alberich
2009-10-04, 09:28 PM
How's this for a semi-serious answer: they were several levels lower during that sidequest, and Haley hadn't earned the shatter-the-fourth-wall-to-steal-from-yourself ability yet.

spargel
2009-10-04, 09:32 PM
You could make an argument to say breaking the fourth wall could be considered Unlawful.

That doesn't seem to stop him from doing it anyways.

ericgrau
2009-10-04, 09:36 PM
It's not nearly as funny.

PirateMonk
2009-10-04, 09:53 PM
First, it was a one-shot gag. Second, at that point the cast page was much less out of date, so it would have made more difference.

HealthKit
2009-10-04, 09:57 PM
But if he took it from his past self, then he wouldn't be able to lose it later on and wouldn't need to take it from his past self, thus creating a paradox that would undo creation in ways that would put the Snarl to shame. :smallamused:

Larkspur
2009-10-04, 10:58 PM
If he'd taken it, he wouldn't have had it to be shattered by Xykon. Haley didn't have that diamond throughout the course of the strip because it was already stolen; that's why she was able to steal it.

It's a causality loop, see?

David Argall
2009-10-04, 10:59 PM
Once is funny.

And even if Roy did have the first chance, the joke should only be used one time, and it fits better with Haley.

SoD
2009-10-04, 11:04 PM
Because that's the sort of devious thinking that comes naturally to a rogue.

Zeitgeist
2009-10-04, 11:15 PM
Since we're going there...

Why didn't Haley switch Roy's dead body with his living body from the cast of characters page?

CletusMusashi
2009-10-04, 11:57 PM
They didn't go back and get Roy's sword because Elan didn't suggest it.
Remember, Haley didn't think of the diamond idea, either. Only Elan is that genre-savvy.

Solaris
2009-10-05, 12:11 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq7

'Nuff said.

Sewblon
2009-10-05, 01:17 AM
but taking a short cut also means you lose the chance for gain. just as v might of procured an endless supply of diamonds for resurrection, and a great deal of wealth that might of aided the oots down the line, when they skipped ahead and stole the gem, they also lost any chance of a sub reward when they didn't need to seek out another source of diamonds. additionally, Haley, as a thief had to steal the diamond, roy would never of allowed another to go get the sword in his place, so he would of had to confront and kill the him from the cast page to take his sword. there is enough paradox there to give the oracle a splitting headache

Roy has been dead before and the cast page is non-cannon thanks Dungeon Crawlin' Fools so it wouldn't affect anything. The real reason is the power of plot, when Haley did it it was mainly Rich making fun of himself for all the complications he used to stretch the plot out.

VanIsleKnight
2009-10-05, 03:30 AM
Because it's only funny once, and the joke made more sense with Haley doing it.

Optimystik
2009-10-05, 08:26 AM
PIME TARADOX!

That's why

Belkster11
2009-10-05, 08:58 AM
Even more simpler: Haley already has his sword. She's been dragging it around with Roy's corpse for months.

Haven
2009-10-05, 09:30 AM
How's this for a semi-serious answer: they were several levels lower during that sidequest, and Haley hadn't earned the shatter-the-fourth-wall-to-steal-from-yourself ability yet.

This has always been the case in my head.

Though the real answer is, yeah, Rule of Funny.

Kaytara
2009-10-05, 09:54 AM
Because Comedy as Plot Device has a long cooldown.

Lamech
2009-10-05, 10:57 AM
There is only one greenhilt sword. The other sword therefore is not the greenhildt sword but an imitation. Therefore stealing it would be no differant then buying another one.

Djibril
2009-10-05, 02:44 PM
I dunno if there is a specific thread for this, but since you're talking about Roy's sword i'll have to ask anyway...

Roy had his sword back reforged in a starmetal alloy right? And the weaponsmith told him that the sword "can glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to undead"

But starmetal is harmful to extraplanar creatures...

What does that mean? It is a different starmetal or undeads are to be considered extraplanar?

In fact the green light was harmful to Sabine HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0349.html) and she is extraplanar

Where the undead bane power come from?

Bibliomancer
2009-10-05, 03:20 PM
Roy had his sword back reforged in a starmetal alloy right? And the weaponsmith told him that the sword "can glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to undead"

Different starmetal, probably. Rich is using that here as a term for "metal-like meteorite" when you're thinking of "piece of the comet Alhazarde from the Complete Arcane." If it were the latter, the sword blade would be green.

Wakawakawack
2009-10-05, 03:22 PM
Regardless, of the sword material ,if that happened then what's stopping V from going into her character pg and then ripping out her clone, thus achieving twice her arcane power?

Then again that would make a pretty cool twist.:smallbiggrin:

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-05, 03:55 PM
have to be a high level rough to steal from yourself across comic
and even haley isnt high enough to start stealing from others yet so itll have to wait

Gullara
2009-10-05, 06:37 PM
Come on people it was a one time joke.

TehSheen
2009-10-05, 06:55 PM
The only reason Haley did that little bit with the diamond is Rule of Funny. It's just breaking the fourth wall. :smallbiggrin:

Watcher
2009-10-05, 08:28 PM
I dunno if there is a specific thread for this, but since you're talking about Roy's sword i'll have to ask anyway...

What does that mean? It is a different starmetal or undeads are to be considered extraplanar?

In fact the green light was harmful to Sabine HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0349.html) and she is extraplanar

Where the undead bane power come from?

Actually, I think that it is like a damage type with its own uniqueness, and it overcomes Sabine's Damage Resistance, but is especially harmful to Undead, like cold damage to some fire-oriented creatures. It is kind of like Divine damage, I guess.

On topic, I'm with the camp that if they did it then, they wouldn't have been able to do it again later. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html)

Edit: Oh, and the person who started the topic misspelled "Wait"

Alex Warlorn
2009-10-05, 10:50 PM

There's no way in heck Roy could have rolled a high enough Slight of Hand to steal something from beyond the forth wall.

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-05, 11:36 PM
During that period, his sword was broken on the cast page too. So even if he had tried it, it wouldn't have done much good. (Actually, that's not even slightly true.)

Liwen
2009-10-06, 12:18 AM
You know, at the risk of actually taking this thread seriously, I think there is a wee bit of a difference between overcoming a joke obstacle that was introduced solely so there could be a joke solution and a plot complication that is supposed to affect the characters for a long time. :smallwink:

In other words, you shouldn't always take the comic so seriously. :smalltongue:

===

Another way to put this is this: Plotwise, Durkon didn't need to get his diamonds swiped. Rich didn't intend it to be The Next Big Thing. Rich didn't even intend it to be The Next Minor Diverson. The only reason it was done was to set up a Fourth Wall Breaking Joke that was made in the same comic.

I mean, this strip is still humorous from time to time you know. :smallbiggrin:

But it also made a bit of a self-mocking joke about how Rich loves to introduce complications that slows down the Main Plot. So instead of spending strip after strip dealing with this "problem", Rich short-circuited it by appealing to the Rule of Funny. And managed to tweak V that much more in the bargin. So it did actually serve the plot to a small degree. But, lets face it, it was mostly done for "the funny".

You post that when we get that far in my 'Funny vs Drama' thread and it's an auto-win for Funny.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-06, 12:26 AM
Haley never REALLY never needed that diamond...but if Roy stole the sword from himslef in the past, it wouldn't have been there to get broken by Xykon, which would mean Roy would never have the energy to temporarily kill Xykon, which would mean Roy would end up just another faceless zombie in Xykon's zombie horde as he controls the Snarl from Dorukon's Gate.

Confuzzled? Well, this sort of stuff is second nature to a future psychic like Roy.

:roy: I am NOT a PSYCHIC!!!!

DukeGod
2009-10-06, 09:49 AM
Because he knew he would get a better sword when he reforged his!
Damm everytime the hero breaks a sword he gets a better one when it is reforged using a supreme rare material or get another legendary one from greater beings...
Arthur's Sword of the Stone and the Excalibur(which by the way,are not the same!)
Half the Fire Emblem games,when they gain a Prf weapon
Zoro's two unamed katanas for the Sandai Kitetsu and Yubashiri in One Piece
I can bet Elan told him that like one billion times...

Starbuck_II
2009-10-06, 10:33 AM
Since we're going there...

Why didn't Haley switch Roy's dead body with his living body from the cast of characters page?

Because Roy would be a lower level.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-06, 09:08 PM
Because Roy would be a lower level.

And then Haley could take the Leadership feat and have Roy II as a cohort. The party has plot, Haley has a meat-shield, and Haley's in charge (but could pretend not to be). I don't see the downside to this, especially since Roy's hypothetical player (who appears if the fourth wall is utterly smashed) could then make a new fighter, perhaps one with a spiked chain and ring of feather fall. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html)

Porthos
2009-10-06, 09:58 PM
I don't see the downside to this

What about the point that Haley discovered that she doesn't particularly like leading a party?

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-06, 11:16 PM
Because he knew he would get a better sword when he reforged his!
Damm everytime the hero breaks a sword he gets a better one when it is reforged using a supreme rare material or get another legendary one from greater beings...
Arthur's Sword of the Stone and the Excalibur(which by the way,are not the same!)
Half the Fire Emblem games,when they gain a Prf weapon
Zoro's two unamed katanas for the Sandai Kitetsu and Yubashiri in One Piece
I can bet Elan told him that like one billion times...

Surprised you didn't mention Narsil