PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] More Magic Missile Madness?

Kanosint
2009-10-04, 05:13 PM
Hi,

In this thread I seek to collect as many existing restyles of Magic Missile as possible... I know there's an awful lot... Every level, every book (including third party) is good.

Example: Missile Storm in School of Evocation. It fires a cone of hundreds of missiles. Those in the area get struck by an amount.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-04, 05:19 PM
Force Missile, SpC

Issac's Greater Missile Storm, Neverwinter Nights.

Bayar
2009-10-04, 05:30 PM
The Lava missile, divine version of magic missile. Level 2, it also sets the target(s) on fire. Gotta love that Serpent Kingdom with all it's brokenness.

@V: You forgot fell Drain Magic Missile :smalltongue:

JellyPooga
2009-10-04, 05:31 PM
Well there's;

Level 1
Magic Missile

Level 2
Still Magic Missile
Silent Magic Missile
Enlarged Magic Missile

Level 3
Stilled Silent Magic Missile
Stilled Enlarged Magic Missile
Silent Enlarged Magic Missile
Empowered Magic Missile

Level 4
Stilled Silent Enlarged Magic Missile
Stilled Empowered Magic Missile
Silent Empowered Magic Missile
Enlarged Empowered Magic Missile
Maximised Magic Missile

Level 5
Stilled Silent Empowered Magic Missile
Stilled Enlarged Empowered Magic Missile
Silent Enlarged Empowered Magic Missile
Stilled Maximised Magic Missile
Silent Maximised Magic Missile
Enlarged Maximised Magic Missile
Quickened Magic Missile

Level 6
Stilled Silent Enlarged Empowered Magic Missile
Stilled Silent Maximised Magic Missile
Stilled Enlarged Maximised Magic Missile
Silent Enlarged Maximised Magic Missile
Empowered Maximised Magic Missile
Stilled Quickened Magic Missile
Silent Quickened Magic Missile
Enlarged Quickened Magic Missile

Level 7
Stilled Silent Enlarged Maximised Magic Missile
Stilled Silent Quickened Magic Missile
Stilled Enlarged Quickened Magic Missile
Silent Enlarged Quickened Magic Missile
Empowered Quickened Magic Missile
etc.
etc.

And that's just in Core...who needs variants?

P.S. I was going to type out all the possibilities of metamagic'd Magic Missile from Core, but it was becoming a chore!

Cieyrin
2009-10-04, 05:33 PM
Chain Missile and Force Missiles from SpC

herrhauptmann
2009-10-04, 06:36 PM
Dragon magazine (first 3.5 one) has a variety of spells with the [war] descriptor. It sends 1 magic missile at each target, for a total of up to 25 targets.
THere's some other requirements as well for casting. Like being familiar with area, 1 minute casting time...

SoD
2009-10-04, 06:53 PM
Not-so-magic Missle. Where you throw a globe of glass at your opponent shouting "Magic Missle!".

BooNL
2009-10-05, 03:45 AM
Isn't there a PrC named Force Missile Mage in a Dragon Magazine?

Never seen it, only heard about it though. It sounds awesome, who needs Batman when you can fling Magic Missiles all day!

arguskos
2009-10-05, 08:55 AM
Damn it took a long time to mention Force Missile Mage. It loses 1 level of casting, but it's still pretty solid. I recommend it for all your MM needs. :smallwink:

Also, needs more Fell Drain in this thread. :smallwink:

Cieyrin
2009-10-05, 12:10 PM
Damn it took a long time to mention Force Missile Mage. It loses 1 level of casting, but it's still pretty solid. I recommend it for all your MM needs. :smallwink:

Also, needs more Fell Drain in this thread. :smallwink:

Force Missile Mage is pretty awesome, indeed. If you don't have access to the original, there was a homebrew version extending it to 10 levels in the forums here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5907822&posted=1#post5907822).

EDIT: Also, Force Missile Mage made it into the Dragon Compendium, which is pretty bad ass, I say.:smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-10-05, 12:38 PM
EDIT: Also, Force Missile Mage made it into the Dragon Compendium, which is pretty bad ass, I say.:smallsmile:
Yet another reason that book is my favorite book ever printed for 3.5. It has my favorite race (dvati), my favorite base class (Savant), and my favorite PrC (FMM), not to mention my favorite weapon (Vulcanian Thunder Hammer, cause is just emits hardcore). :smallamused:

BobVosh
2009-10-05, 12:41 PM
Not-so-magic Missle. Where you throw a globe of glass at your opponent shouting "Magic Missle!".

LARPing in game?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 12:54 PM
I loooove me some FMM :smallbiggrin:

Anybody mentioned Not Magic Missile? It's basically Magic Missile but there's only one of them, it's ranged touch attack, and deals a lot more damage. I think some people call it Orb of Force, or something crazy like that.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 01:01 PM
I loooove me some FMM :smallbiggrin:

Anybody mentioned Not Magic Missile? It's basically Magic Missile but there's only one of them, it's ranged touch attack, and deals a lot more damage. I think some people call it Orb of Force, or something crazy like that.
.../facepalm

Also, that spell does not exist. Don't go look it up. You definitely can't find it in the Spell Compendium! It's terrible! Awful! Don't do it! :smallwink: lolOrbofForce

Bayar
2009-10-05, 01:06 PM
.../facepalm

Also, that spell does not exist. Don't go look it up. You definitely can't find it in the Spell Compendium! It's terrible! Awful! Don't do it! :smallwink: lolOrbofForce

K, I'll just use my Orb of Sonic and Lesser orb of Sonic then.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 01:12 PM
K, I'll just use my Orb of Sonic and Lesser orb of Sonic then.
Lies! Slander! These are not real either! There is only one master of the damage spell throne, and that is Magic Missile! All others are pretenders (except for Force Missiles at really high levels)! Down with the Orb Dynasty! MM is the rightful king! :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 01:47 PM
Lies! Slander! These are not real either! There is only one master of the damage spell throne, and that is Magic Missile! All others are pretenders (except for Force Missiles at really high levels)! Down with the Orb Dynasty! MM is the rightful king! :smallbiggrin:

Meteor Swarm would like a word with you Mr. Missile. :smalltongue:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-05, 01:48 PM
MM is the rightful king? What's so great about Magnificent Mansion?

Radar
2009-10-05, 02:06 PM
Well, what other spell can give you almost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQ8sAPGKOE) enough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo0XXnPDMis&feature=related) dakka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViaVzYGwQrU&feature=related)? With just a smidgeon of metamagic and arcane fusion abuse.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 02:07 PM
Meteor Swarm would like a word with you Mr. Missile. :smalltongue:
Yes, but with enough metamagic, MM reigns supreme. Fell Drain, Fell Weaken, Twin, Quicken, find a way to make it elec or sonic then add Born of the Three Thunders, many many other insane metamagics.

Best part? You can do this all from level 1! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Also, I reaaaaaaally like Magic Missile.

EDIT: It does seem my attempts at MM-based humor have gone awry. /facepalm :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2009-10-05, 02:14 PM
find a way to make it elec or sonic then add Born of the Three Thunders

Force Missile Mages can do this.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 02:17 PM
Indeed they can. I forgot that. There, a good way to be crazy hardcore with Magic Missiles. And, you can do this in LOTS of slots. Here's another good thing to do with 'em: Signature Spell.

If you have Spell Mastery for Magic Missile, you can then take Signature Spell (Magic Missile) and spontaneously convert anything into more Magic Missiles! :smallcool: For when you don't have enough prepared for some reason, there's always Signature Spell.

JellyPooga
2009-10-05, 02:22 PM
Indeed they can. I forgot that. There, a good way to be crazy hardcore with Magic Missiles. And, you can do this in LOTS of slots. Here's another good thing to do with 'em: Signature Spell.

If you have Spell Mastery for Magic Missile, you can then take Signature Spell (Magic Missile) and spontaneously convert anything into more Magic Missiles! :smallcool: For when you don't have enough prepared for some reason, there's always Signature Spell.

I'll go one better...Spell Thematics (Magic Missiles). Now every spell you cast is Magic Missiles! Fireball? It's a Magic Missile swarm! Force Cage? Hem in your opponents with Magic Missiles! Stinking Cloud? Choke your enemies with really tiny Magic Missiles! Summon Monster? It emerges from a Magic Missile! Detect Magic...with Magic Missiles!

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 02:22 PM
Yes, but with enough metamagic, MM reigns supreme. Fell Drain, Fell Weaken, Twin, Quicken, find a way to make it elec or sonic then add Born of the Three Thunders, many many other insane metamagics.

Best part? You can do this all from level 1! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Also, I reaaaaaaally like Magic Missile.

EDIT: It does seem my attempts at MM-based humor have gone awry. /facepalm :smalltongue:

Edit:

I'll go one better...Spell Thematics (Magic Missiles). Now every spell you cast is Magic Missiles! Fireball? It's a Magic Missile swarm! Force Cage? Hem in your opponents with Magic Missiles! Stinking Cloud? Choke your enemies with really tiny Magic Missiles! Summon Monster? It emerges from a Magic Missile! Detect Magic...with Magic Missiles!

My next Sorcerer is decided. Thank you very much :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2009-10-05, 02:25 PM
That's cheating. Though, it's funny. Here's what you do:
Spell Thematics (Magic Missiles)
Invisible Spell

Now, cast your Magic Missiles with Invisible Spell and a ton of scary metamagics (esp Quicken), and everything else normally. Then, what happens is that there is a storm of magic missiles, and mixed in there are some quicken fell draining invisible ones that actually do the dirty work of hurting them. :smallwink: The image here is PRICELESS.

Bayar
2009-10-05, 02:50 PM
"I am in terrible pain ! And I dont know why !" :biggrin:

Triaxx
2009-10-05, 06:07 PM
Better. Summon a swarm and have it be a swarm of Magic Missiles. Even if they can't be fired at the darkness, they are the darkness.