PDA

View Full Version : Consequences?

Sholos
2009-10-04, 06:48 PM
So, my players did something interesting today. Yes, that kind of interesting. More specifically, one of them went and killed somebody in the city they're in. The problem arises in specifically how they killed them. Poison. Relatively trackable, and, more importantly, noticeable as murder. You know, as opposed to making something look like an accident.

So, I've decided that the cops (or somebody) are going to be able to track them down. It might be a while, but it will happen (the cops have access to high-level magic if needed). So, my question is what are some good consequences in the meantime, and how are some good ways to handle the situation? Please note that I'm not necessarily looking to dissuade or punish the player for the actions (they were perfectly in-character and I'm the one who got him started on the quest in the first place, he's the one that handled it less than optimally). I'm just wanting some natural consequences.

Things to note:

1) This happened in the capital city of the nation they're currently in. BIG city. Guilds for practically everything. Guilds are generally willing to work with each other, and will work with the Watch on a I-don't-like-you-but-we-have-to-cooperate level.

2) 2nd level party. Includes a bard, fighter/swordsage, and a rogue/wizard (going towards assassin, he's the one we're talking about). Bard knows what happened, can't remember if the swordsage does.

Things I've considered:

1) Assassins' Guild feels professional affront. Sends message of dislike via sharp pointy object. I've also thought of this as a means of getting him in with the Assassins' Guild in order to progress along the Assassin class.

2) Rogue in question likes poison usage. It's part of what got him into this mess.

3) I don't want the authorities to know-know who he is immediately. They've got a good description via various means, but positive identification I want to wait.

There's probably other relevant details that I've forgotten. Feel free to ask about them, and I'll answer as best I can.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 06:50 PM
What were the exact circumstances of the death? I know a bit about how Medieval law and order works, but need details. Who was this person they killed? This matters a lot too.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-04, 06:51 PM
Have the cops hire them to investigate the murder, if they're that kind of group.

Or have them tailed by an annoying investigator?

All my ideas sound stupid...

sadi
2009-10-04, 06:54 PM
How important/influential was the person he killed. If it was a peasant the assassins guild probably wouldn't care. If it was a contract outside of the guilds influence, they'd probably take action, action the pc wouldn't like.

If it was no one of importance for no real motivation (to the guild) they might not do anything more than keep an eye on him as a possible recruit or to eliminate him if he starts working outside their authority.

Darcand
2009-10-04, 07:20 PM
Bring the murder victim back as a vengeful undead that haunts the locale and can only be laid to rest when his murderer is killed in retribution, then periodically have adventurers out to make a name for themselves track the rogue down.

Paulus
2009-10-04, 07:31 PM
This,

1) Assassins' Guild feels professional affront. Sends message of dislike via sharp pointy object. I've also thought of this as a means of getting him in with the Assassins' Guild in order to progress along the Assassin class.

This,

Have the cops hire them to investigate the murder, if they're that kind of group.

Or have them tailed by an annoying investigator?

All my ideas sound stupid...

AND this,

Bring the murder victim back as a vengeful undead that haunts the locale and can only be laid to rest when his murderer is killed in retribution, then periodically have adventurers out to make a name for themselves track the rogue down.

1)The Assassin's guild is interested in him, also angry, so by way of testing him. They poison his food at every opportunity, they also try to hire him on. If he rejects them, ...the pressure REALLY turns up.

2) The cops hire an inspector to find the killer. And the inspector hired just so happens to be trying to take down the assasin's guild. He see's the player as his chance, and if the player won't co-operate... recurring good-villain! I'LL GET YOU LUUPPAAAANN!!!

3) The victim comes back, an innocent murdered, a wraith! recurring villain ghost that will not be put to rest until justice is served! either by way of the player's poisoning and near death, or his capture by the inspector!

Oh yes, oh yes it will be glorious! All side quests mind you, but nice flavor. Can't let the player have to much of the spotlight mind you.

random11
2009-10-05, 01:39 AM
How important/influential was the person he killed. If it was a peasant the assassins guild probably wouldn't care. If it was a contract outside of the guilds influence, they'd probably take action, action the pc wouldn't like.

If it was no one of importance for no real motivation (to the guild) they might not do anything more than keep an eye on him as a possible recruit or to eliminate him if he starts working outside their authority.

This is a very important question, and is relevant to most of the options suggested to you.

If it was a single murder and not part of a killing spree, the character wasn't caught or recognized on sight and the victim was just a regular person, with no special importance, strength or influence, it's unlikely that the consequences will be harsh.

- The authorities will not use their best resources if the case isn't important. If it is not obvious who the killer is after a short investigation, it's very likely that the character will get away with it if he keeps a low profile.

- If any death would lead to an undead vengeful spirit, the world you're playing in would be swimming in undead creatures.

- The local crime families might take an interest, but it's also not likely that they will spend too much time and effort. The most likely reaction will be to send some goons with an offer they can't refuse or just a friendly warning.

Gelondil
2009-10-05, 01:42 AM
For starters, how about a flier going around about the murder?

"The local authorities are looking for information..." or possibly "[unspecific description]...wanted for questioning in the death of Soandso".

Subotei
2009-10-05, 04:11 AM
What alignment are the rest of the characters? This should affect how they react to having a murderer in the party (or on the loose, if they have no idea).

Perhaps you could offer a reward for infomation/capture - would depend on the importance of the victim though. Would be an interesting dilemma for the PCs who know the killer's identity.

Other possible consequences:

Poisons unavailable for sale locally for a while - nobody wants to be assoicated with the murder. Also scroll/potions of healing, delay/neutralize poison etc may be in short supply for a while a people stock up.

More patrols on the streets - PCs more likely to be caught if they do anything stupid in public. Also people leaving the city will be questioned/searched.

More bodyguards are hired by the locals who feel threatened - opportunities for the PCs?

Other assassins/rogues will keep a lower profile - jobs may be cancelled or delayed until the fuss has died down. Again this could open opportunities for the PCs - someone who really really wants a job done could seek them out.

The victims relatives may appear - bent on vengence?