PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "Diablo" based Pen and Paper?

ondonaflash
2009-10-04, 06:56 PM
Yeah... ^ That.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 06:58 PM
If there is, it would be homebrew and not official.

TheDarkDM
2009-10-04, 07:05 PM
You'd think it would be homebrew, but no! Years ago, wizards published a bare bones d20 version of Diablo 2 called Diablo 2: To Hell and Back. I played it once, and it seemed pretty fun. It's out of print now, but probably easy enough to track down.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 07:05 PM
Wow, nice. Had no idea.

ondonaflash
2009-10-04, 07:16 PM
You know it seems like they could get a bit of traction from the setting. Maybe there will be a little bit more once Diablo 3 comes out. I like some of the game concepts, but homebrewing gives me a headache, so I'd much rather have a sourcebook to use.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-04, 07:18 PM
A lot of the manuals for DII would help you adapt an existing system in terms of setting.

sambo.
2009-10-04, 07:58 PM
(me being something of a D2 nerd....) it really, really wouldn't be that hard to run a DnD campaign based in the world of Sanctuary.

if you want to import all the D2 skills (why?), most of them have a straight up ADnD spell/skill equivalent anyway.

just start by renaming "porcupines" as "quill rats" and "kobolds" as "fallen" and your good to go.

Indon
2009-10-04, 08:22 PM
You'd think it would be homebrew, but no! Years ago, wizards published a bare bones d20 version of Diablo 2 called Diablo 2: To Hell and Back. I played it once, and it seemed pretty fun. It's out of print now, but probably easy enough to track down.

This.

The loot tables in the book are beautiful, and add a wonderful finishing touch to the Diablo experience.

hamishspence
2009-10-05, 02:54 AM
Its actually a two-parter. Diablerie is the first part, detailing the classes, and, I think, the loot tables.

To Hell and Back has the maps, monsters, quests.

I've read both, but haven't managed to get Diablerie (shops stopped selling it)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-05, 03:31 AM
I think a rough class equivalence can be reached

Barbarian: DnD Barbarian
Paladin: DnD Cleric
Druid: DnD Druid
Sorcerer: DnD Sorcerer
Assassin: Monk/Rogue/Trapsmith/Combat Trapsmith
Necromancer: DnD Dread Necromancer or a Wizard
Amazon: DnD Ranger, Arcane Archer or Cleric/Stormlord

Am I missing anything?

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-05, 03:39 AM
It's a sorceress

There's also the rogue, warrior (fighter) and sorcerer classes form the previous game.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-05, 03:49 AM
It's a sorceress

There's also the rogue, warrior (fighter) and sorcerer classes form the previous game.

The D1 Rogue had archery and some magic. I'm tempted to say Ranger or Arcane Archer. Possibly Bard?

Warrior would be a Fighter, and the Sorcerer class from D1 could be either a wizard or sorcerer... I'd lean towards wizard for the sake of difference.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-05, 04:21 AM
Sorceress was also pure elemental, would the Necro be better as a sorcerer?

Oh, and the only magic unique to the rogue was the detect and disarm traps thing, pretty much the only useful one of the three in the game.

Other than that, everyone had the same spells from books.

KiltedGrappler
2009-10-05, 05:51 AM
There was a D&D based Diablo 2 "Adventure Game" put out by TSR/WTC. Just do a search for TSR 11543 or WTC 11548. Either one should work to find it.

bosssmiley
2009-10-05, 07:12 AM
Apart from the d20-derived Diablo game, WOTC D&D itself is a pretty close Diablo clone.

Specific classes with only a few workable builds. Check.
Magic items with absurd numbers of stacking qualities. Check.
Magic item body slots. Check.
Wealth as power. Check.
No graduation from the status of wandering adventurer to being a true power in the land. Check.

No, this is not trolling.

Indon
2009-10-05, 07:22 AM
Except the loot's all wrong.

Optimystik
2009-10-05, 07:52 AM
Paladin: DnD Cleric

With the always-on auras, high combat ability and low number of spells, D2 Paladin is a lot closer to Divine Mind (CP) than Cleric or Paladin.

Sorcerer: DnD Sorcerer

Ironically, Diablo has these reversed. Diablo's Sorc is closer to DnD's Wizard, and vice-versa.

Otherwise you are spot on I think.